As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Moe, the first post gives different hours for friday then what the registration page says. Will pax start at 10am or 2pm? We have to decide we are coming up the night before still.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    dardor wrote: »
    West Coasters will definitely be cold, as your nights usually dip down to what, around 60 degrees? Think about half that, at most maybe 2/3.

Dip UP to 60? :P It's currently 40 degrees in Seattle right now at 11:30am.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    PAX will open at 2:00pm on Friday.

This is a fact!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is probably a question that can't be answered yet, but since i've never left the west coast in my life.

How cold is it gonna be? On average how cold is Boston in March?

This has been mentioned in the PAX East Bible thread, but judging by temperatures in Jersey so far this winter (it's snowing outside my window as I type), it will be pretty cold even if it's late March. West Coasters will definitely be cold, as your nights usually dip down to what, around 60 degrees? Think about half that, at most maybe 2/3.

Ok, in Boston in the spring it rains, it rains a lot and it rarely snows the last weekend of the month. The reason people remember the times it has is because it's happened so few times. You will not need a winter coat, you will not need to be in down and you're better off bringing an umbrella and rain boots than snow boats and mittens. Especially if you're riding the train that can get really humid and hot and gross on a crappy day.

VisionOfClarity on
  • PimpMethodPimpMethod Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Will there be a coat check at the convention center?

PimpMethod on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't count on it. '04 and '05 (I think) had coat checks, but they've been gone since '06, and that was before the move to the WSTCC. My guess was just too many people and not enough space/Enforcers to justify it.

And please only need to ask once, not in four times in different threads.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Liger wrote: »
    West Coasters will definitely be cold, as your nights usually dip down to what, around 60 degrees? Think about half that, at most maybe 2/3.

Dip UP to 60? :P It's currently 40 degrees in Seattle right now at 11:30am.

To be fair; in D.C. (what, 8 hours south of boston?) it's been in the low to mid 30's around that time of day; occasionally rising in the 40's. I've always found Boston to be colder than Seattle in "feel" at comparable times of the year

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EpicPhoenixEpicPhoenix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm under 18. Will I be able to get into a panel for/play the demo of <insert M-Rated game here>?

It is convention wide policy to follow the ESRB ratings.

I'm under 18. Will I be able to play M-rated games if I have my parent, who is over the age of 40, with me? Who approves of me playing such games? Or will the people at the booth be a bitch? Does anybody really give a crap?

EpicPhoenix on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Depends on the booth/people running it.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • kevlarkevlar Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    hello,

first post and all. i'm kevin from wisconsin i use the name kevlar online. in 2010 i will be attending Comic Con in San Diego for my 4th year and hope to also volunteer with their disabled services group http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_dissvc.shtml . i have been working with children with disabilities for about 13 years now and really like the idea of all people getting the chance to get to these events!

anyway, i'm ALSO going to be attending PAX East, my first PAX!! wondering if there is already a group in place to assist people with disabilities in getting the most out of PAX? if so who do i talk to to help out? i already registered, so i don't even need a free pass or anything. if there isn't already something like this going on, but people think it sounds like a good idea i would really like to help coordinate it.

sorry if there was some really obvious link i missed, i did search a few things in the forums and on the PAX East site and didn't find anything.

thanks in advance,
    kevlar

kevlar on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    This thread will tell you how to volunteer for PAX. I don't know if there is a dedicated disabled services contingent, but I believe part of the application is indicating where you'd like to work.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• GausGaus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Do people bring their own controllers for fighting game tournaments? I use a PS3 Hori fight stick, and I was wondering if I should bring it. Do you use PS3s for the tournies?

Gaus on
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tournies are mostly 360, but it all depends on the game.

Zig runs the console tournaments, he usually lets people bring their own controllers but as long as it doesn't interfere with the tournament.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • TempestBrewerTempestBrewer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My husband and I pre-registered for PAX prior to our wedding. Both my last name and address have changed-- who can I contact about re-routing my badges?

TempestBrewer on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited January 2010
    I can help you with that! Shoot me a pm at dcoffman@penny-arcade.com and I'll see you get taken care of.

David Coffman on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I did a search and i couldnt find anything so - Any type of new info as to what will replace the omegathon for pax east, or if there will be any kind of random selected competitions?

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
    edited January 2010
    there will be...something :)

Stay tuned.

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hate to keep being a pest, but any update on if the convention will have Wheelchairs available or to rent? Otherwise, I have to see about brining mine, which may create other problems.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Will there be a PAX East Purim Costume Contest?

Yes, they intersect this year.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited January 2010
    gilby123 wrote: »
    Hate to keep being a pest, but any update on if the convention will have Wheelchairs available or to rent? Otherwise, I have to see about brining mine, which may create other problems.

No worries! Here is the ADA information from the Hynes.

"The Hynes Convention Center strives to meet the need of disabled patrons at all events. All areas including restrooms and the Cafe and Cafeteria, are ADA accessible. Elevators are located on each level and a limited number of wheelchairs are available free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis."

heels on

www.reedpop.com
    edited January 2010
    heels wrote: »

"The Hynes Convention Center strives to meet the need of disabled patrons at all events. All areas including restrooms and the Cafe and Cafeteria, are ADA accessible. Elevators are located on each level and a limited number of wheelchairs are available free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis."

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out where those might be when I get there. :)

gilby123 on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    heels wrote: »

Thanks! Now I just have to figure out where those might be when I get there. :)

If you ask a redcoat (convention center staff in red uniform) they will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited January 2010
    Liger wrote: »

If you ask a redcoat (convention center staff in red uniform) they will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for that tip! Yeah, I had thought about trying for the Enforcer program (though wasn't sure how much I would be able to do, since my walking limitations are somewhat high), but figured I'd like to attend it just as an attendee first and see how things are and then maybe next year, when I have a better idea of what things I could do.

gilby123 on
    edited January 2010
    Convention center staff != Enforcers
    They are different, be sure to address this question to the convention center staff. If you ask an enforcer you will probably just be directed to the convention center staff since such a facilities question they would know the answer to.

BigRed on
    edited January 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Convention center staff != Enforcers
    They are different, be sure to address this question to the convention center staff. If you ask an enforcer you will probably just be directed to the convention center staff since such a facilities question they would know the answer to.

Aye. Will do. Was more posing a bit of "what I had thought about doing" and a quasi-question, but one I'll likely answer once seeing the layout and how things are going to work.

gilby123 on
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Disability note for T Travelers:

Prudential center stop: multiple elevators, decently long travel time to the Center. I would estimate 3-5 required elevators, and several hundred feat.

Hynes Convention Center stop: 1-2 required elevators, 3-500 feet but outdoors. May be snow.

Kiashien on
    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kiashien wrote: »
    Disability note for T Travelers:

Prudential center stop: multiple elevators, decently long travel time to the Center. I would estimate 3-5 required elevators, and several hundred feat.

Hynes Convention Center stop: 1-2 required elevators, 3-500 feet but outdoors. May be snow.

I completely forgot about this. Not all the stations have elevators either. If you do require an elevator I would definitely suggest checking out the MBTA's website here: http://mbta.com/riding_the_t/accessible_services/

VisionOfClarity on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can walk, with a little assistance (A cane), Im just thinking about all the time I'll be on my feet at Pax and debating the wheel chair....

Meh I'll figure it out when I get there, and bring my cane just to be safe.

ZeroHourHero on
  • DragantDragant BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I live right outside of Boston so I could drive to a T station and take the T right into the Hynes/Prudential. However I think the T stops at midnight "correct me if i am wrong" so would I be missing out on a lot of stuff after? I'm also attending AnimeBoston which is exactly a week after PAX, getting a hotel for both of those would be extremely expensive.

I usually get a hotel for AnimeBoston but maybe I could get a hotel for PAX this year and not get one for AnimeBoston. What do all of you think would be the best thing to do?

Dragant on
    edited January 2010
    Get the hotel for PAX, of course.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Get the hotel for PAX, of course.

Get it with other people.

Atlus Parker on
  • vVv BabyCakesvVv BabyCakes Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Hi I want to attend this event but wanted to know more information on the tournaments. My team plays l4d2 for pc and if I go I will be bringing a ton of l4d2 pro players with me. Info plz :D

vVv BabyCakes on
    edited January 2010
    Tournaments are announced closer to the event.
    Dont expect huge prizes though, tournaments aren't the focus of PAX.

BigRed on
  • WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Will there be a PAX East Purim Costume Contest?

Yes, they intersect this year.

Isn't Purim at the end of february, a month before PAX East?

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • vVv BabyCakesvVv BabyCakes Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    I understand that it wont be huge, but if there isn't one at all then I would just go to Pittco instead. who do I talk to about making sure there is a l4d2 tourny?

vVv BabyCakes on
    edited January 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Tournaments are announced closer to the event.

Wait a bit, they will probably be announced either by the end of the month or by mid feb.

BigRed on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there a PAX East Cross-Country Supertrip?

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
    edited January 2010
    No, that's what the PAX East Train Alliance is for.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• tomwearsglassestomwearsglasses Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Hi all - I'm new to the PAX community and have a few questions. My friend and I are working on a documentary about the early days of console gaming (like Brown Box through early Nintendo) and we're hoping get some footage of some classic games & interviews with people that were around the gaming industry at that time. My due diligence of checking earlier posts has informed me that video cameras are cool in any area that doesn't have a sign prohibiting them. So my follow up questions are...

1) If you are affiliated with a news organization, you can apply for a Media Badge. Since we are working on this independently, we don't have a government id/business license/etc. Is there a way we could still apply for a Media Badge?
    2) Will PAX East have some sort of retro/classic gaming area?
    3) The PAX Prime '09 schedule had lots of time blocked out for 'Geek Movies'. Will there be Geek Movies at PAX East? And what makes a movie a 'Geek Movie'?
    4) How...are you?

tomwearsglasses on
    edited January 2010
    I'll answer what I know

2. If it follows the model of PAX Prime then yes.
    3. See above
    4. I'm great, thanks for asking.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.