As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can't format a laptop

TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've got this Dell Inspiron 2200 that bit it hard from what I imagine was a virus. I'm trying to run this Windows 7 disc, but the installation keeps BSODing with the error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Any ideas?

Thanks!

TL DR on

• CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is it IRQL or IWQL? If it's the former, you might have a look at this article. If that's what it is, then it could be all kinds of problems and, at least reading the article, they appear to be hardware problems.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    IRQL, whoops. Fixed the OP.

TL DR on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Memtest shows no errors.

Tried disabling onboard devices (wireless, ethernet, etc). Also formatted the HDD after installing it in my PC. Still getting the same error when I try to install Win7.

TL DR on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That can be a million things unfortunately. I'd see if XP/Vista/Whatever Came on It works; it might be some piece of hardware that 7 just can't deal with.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying an XP disc now, thinking my 7 image could just be messed up.

TL DR on
  • finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's a pretty old laptop. Does it have the necessary system requirements for 7? I believe you need 1 gig of memory minimum.

finalflight89 on
    edited January 2010
    That's a pretty old laptop. Does it have the necessary system requirements for 7? I believe you need 1 gig of memory minimum.

It doesn't. I was mostly trying to see if I could get it running at all, and to further diagnose the issue.

I finally managed to get another XP disc to work, though I'm not sure if any of the tweaks I tried made a difference.

Thanks for all the help.

TL DR on