As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Taikodom] - Freespace the MMO ! Also Free!

• Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are rockets more powerful then missiles?

Is there some kinda big ass ship that would not be able to get out of the way at all?

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are rockets more powerful then missiles?

Is there some kinda big ass ship that would not be able to get out of the way at all?

You could probably hit freighters and bombers real easily with rockets. And yes rockets do significantly more dmg. My thinking is that with rockets you have to be fairly close to an enemy and hit them when the are moving slow, it seems difficult though, rockets dont fire fast and they dont track like missles do.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So are rockets just Freelancer's torpedo equivalent?

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
    edited January 2010
    Deswa wrote: »

There are also torpedo's in this game...but i've never used them. They may be the same thing but for larger ships.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    Dizzen wrote: »
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    I get to the part where it says to use the terminal and it just hangs there with the picture of the blue cryo things in the back, and won't do anything....

Yeah, it did the same for me too. I forced the program to close, and found that the windows firewall had been asking me whether or not to let the game connect to the internet. Tried a second time (in windowed mode), and it still froze at that part, but then got past it after about half a minute or so.

I get a lot of several-second freezes sometimes, though, when opening / choosing a menu option for the first time, and things like that. Makes things like character creation a bit tedious, but doesn't tend to get in the way of dog fighting and whatnot.

How are you getting it into window mode?

At the login screen, there's a settings button near the bottom.

Dizzen on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

There are also torpedo's in this game...but i've never used them. They may be the same thing but for larger ships.

The torpedo skill improves range, so maybe they're cruise missiles?

BlueDestiny on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm.

I'll check it out.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This reminds me of Space Cadet Pinball.

Brian on
    edited January 2010
    Brian wrote: »
    This reminds me of Space Cadet Pinball.

You must be the Brian Kenobi i encountered.

Elimination on
    edited January 2010
    I would play but I cant seem to get past loading, as it tells me my graphics card is outdated, as it cannot find a resource. Trying to find a solution.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    edited January 2010
    I would play but I cant seem to get past loading, as it tells me my graphics card is outdated, as it cannot find a resource. Trying to find a solution.

Whats your card? Have you tried the obvious? (updating drivers ect.)

Elimination on
    edited January 2010
    Its an onboard graphics card, Nvicdia GeForce 8200. I'm attempting to update, downloads are slow. Figured it might have been something with windows 7, but those solutions have not worked.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    edited January 2010
    Had a funny moment earlier, a quest completed itself when I took too long to get out of the hanger. Funny to think the NPC's just did their thing without me. Also does anyone know how to use the active skill? I have a point in overload but I don't see a hotkey for it.

BlueDestiny on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Had a funny moment earlier, a quest completed itself when I took too long to get out of the hanger. Funny to think the NPC's just did their thing without me. Also does anyone know how to use the active skill? I have a point in overload but I don't see a hotkey for it.

I think it is left control. That's what activated my scout hazardous conditions shield thingy when I was messing with the controls earlier, anyway.

Dizzen on
    edited January 2010
    Wooo, got it running. Ingame name is Deswa, trying out Merchant I guess.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    edited January 2010
    I'm online right now as Ace Damage if anyone wants to send me a tell.

Also i just ran across BlueDestiny orbiting Earth's Moon singing a whaling tune...awesome.

Elimination on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gonna give this a go since I am locked out of my other MMO's (stupid bandwidth caps). Only turn off I can see right now is it seems you can be killed anywhere by anyone? I guess it isn't that big of an issue because I also gather that you don't really lose much of anything from death.

I'm just not fond of the aggravation caused by some bored high level asshole deciding he needs to go grief noobs for the lack of anything better to do. Not that I mind PvP, but getting ganked randomly by high levels? That isn't really PvP, that is just griefing.

Yoshua on
    edited January 2010
    Yoshua wrote: »
    Gonna give this a go since I am locked out of my other MMO's (stupid bandwidth caps). Only turn off I can see right now is it seems you can be killed anywhere by anyone? I guess it isn't that big of an issue because I also gather that you don't really lose much of anything from death.

I'm just not fond of the aggravation caused by some bored high level asshole deciding he needs to go grief noobs for the lack of anything better to do. Not that I mind PvP, but getting ganked randomly by high levels? That isn't really PvP, that is just griefing.

As I understand it there are several "Safe" zones. The majority of the zones in game seem to be free-fire though.

Having fun so far, only annoying thing is buying missiles and sometimes my missiles bug out and don't hit anything. Upgraded to an extremely phallic ship. It's like three Johnsons held together with a snap-tie and is also about twice the size of my first bomber.

BlueDestiny on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, can I hook up a stick and fly like I want to or do I have to use mouse and keyboard?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Joysticks work and are in the command list already.

Brian on
    edited January 2010
    Myself and Brian just got pirate ganked for the first time. Granted we were asking for it hanging out in a higher rank area.

Elimination on
    edited January 2010
    Yea so we decided to lurk with the roids in Uranus for a while.

Brian on
    edited January 2010
    I came from behind in Uranus.

Elimination on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Requesting OP post peoples tags\names in the OP.

Gonna download in 7 minutes, have a long day ahead of me tomorrow though so won't be on until another couple of days.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Missions will spawn a set of quest mobs for each person on your team to hit the waypoint. So you and your team should either only get each mission one person at a time or call the targets pre attacking.

Elimination and I had a hard time with one of the missions because it spawned two hard hitting little jerks.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I am playing and my toons name is Anisa. Went with the juggernaut class.

Yoshua on
    edited January 2010
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Requesting OP post peoples tags\names in the OP.

Gonna download in 7 minutes, have a long day ahead of me tomorrow though so won't be on until another couple of days.

I've been posting the names as i learn them. I did that from the start. Go look at the OP agian.

Elimination on
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got my friend to try this but for some reason he didn't get into it. He's picky as crap when it comes to games and honestly I don't think he likes anything made after 1998. I on the other hand enjoyed what I could play for a while. It is still a bit rough but over all I'm liking it.

I'll try to be on tonight if my head isn't all messed up.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I finnaly got the game working, went with merchant.
    Name in game is CamCam.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I went with Scout, I'll try to post my ingame tonight. Can't remember what I used atm.

citizen059 on
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow, this game really doesn't like alt-tabbing, even in windowed mode. I'm in as Kropax, by the way.

runaway_pancake on
    edited January 2010
    Its getting a little annoying getting disconnected every 5 minutes.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In as juggernaut named Sajuuk Khar

Been trying to get missiles to work, the bind says SFT + 1 but that doesn't seem to work?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited January 2010
    In as juggernaut named Sajuuk Khar

Been trying to get missiles to work, the bind says SFT + 1 but that doesn't seem to work?

Q fires missiles, Shift-# changes the active launcher.

BlueDestiny on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Soo... is this game any fun? I'm intrigued.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited January 2010

It plays like a mix between EVE and Freelancer. I don't know what the endgame is but I'm guessing it's PvP considering most of the zones in the game are unsafe. Combat is Freelancer all the way, even lets you cut engines and drift for strafing and rear attacks. There are four classes; Scout, Fighter (Or something), Bomber, and Merchant. Each has their own class of ships and a special ability unique to them, like the Merchant's Vault which protects any items inside from being lost or the Fighter's afterburner. There are also various misc skills to specialize your combat. In my Bomber character I can specialize in any of the cannons or launchers, along with special skills that increase ship strength/availability or launcher specific damage.

BlueDestiny on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It plays like a mix between EVE and Freelancer. I don't know what the endgame is but I'm guessing it's PvP considering most of the zones in the game are unsafe.

Also you know how freelancer and eve dislike the input device known as the joystick? This game likes said device.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It plays like a mix between EVE and Freelancer. I don't know what the endgame is but I'm guessing it's PvP considering most of the zones in the game are unsafe. Combat is Freelancer all the way, even lets you cut engines and drift for strafing and rear attacks. There are four classes; Scout, Explorer, Bomber, and Merchant. Each has their own class of ships and a special ability unique to them, like the Merchant's Vault which protects any items inside from being lost or the Fighter's afterburner. There are also various misc skills to specialize your combat. In my Bomber character I can specialize in any of the cannons or launchers, along with special skills that increase ship strength/availability or launcher specific damage.

Fixed there for ya

AdditionalPylons on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well this looks pretty neat. Downloading now. How's the trading? How does the Scout class work? Is it just another combat class?

EDIT: In as Biff Blasto, a Scout, currently doing tutorial missions.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've had this installed for a while, tried it once and kinda forgot about it. I will log on later and add people in the OP, I don't remember what my name was though.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains