As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Measuring nuclear fusion in sandwiches per second (Science!)

UsagiUsagi NahRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Social Entropy++
new Science thread go!

Cell Phone Exposure May Protect Against and Reverse Alzheimer's Disease
The millions of people who spend hours every day on a cell phone may have a new excuse for yakking. A surprising new study in mice provides the first evidence that long-term exposure to electromagnetic waves associated with cell phone use may actually protect against, and even reverse, Alzheimer's disease. The study, led by University of South Florida researchers at the Florida Alzheimer's Disease Research Center (ADRC), was published January 6 in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease.

Silencing Brain Cells With Yellow and Blue Light
Neuroscientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have developed a powerful new class of tools to reversibly shut down brain activity using different colors of light. When targeted to specific neurons, they could potentially lead to new treatments for abnormal brain activity associated with disorders including chronic pain, epilepsy, brain injury and Parkinson's disease.

Usagi on

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    woooo new science thread!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Further developments in neuroscience always fascinate me

First that study regarding magnetic fields helping people with depression and now this light stuff

Soon, we will be blasting our brains with freely available happyrays!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited January 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »

First that study regarding magnetic fields helping people with depression and now this light stuff

but there will be a subcarrier signal used for government mind control so the space lizards that are in charge can keep us docile

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Fortunately it'll be counteracted by the panic-buy beams sent out to make us spend like crazy by the Jewish conspiracy

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We need to start sending Terry Pratchett our old cellphones.

UnbrokenEva on
    edited January 2010
    Monkeys ain't so smart after all.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

but there will be a subcarrier signal used for government mind control so the space lizards that are in charge can keep us docile

It goes beyond that. I have incontrovertible proof that the government is not only able to control our

SeñorAmor on
    edited January 2010
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

It goes beyond that. I have incontrovertible proof that the government is not only able to control our

What? Control our motor functions to such an extent that they can make us hit the reply button earlier than we

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    more Small Magellanic Cloud goodness from APOD

ssc2010-02b_Sm.jpg

false-color is so cool

Usagi on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    good morning forum

Weaver on
    edited January 2010

What? Control our motor functions to such an extent that they can make us hit the reply button earlier than we

Hmm. I don't recall typing that message. I wonder if it's the government using some of their mind control on me and making me look li

SeñorAmor on
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man it was not specifically about the sciences but awesome-named conservationalist Romulus Whitaker has today's talk on TED.com about King Cobras and crocodiles in India and this dude is just too sweet.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Hmm. I don't recall typing that message. I wonder if it's the government using some of their mind control on me and making me look li

Look, that shit isn't funny anymore. Hah hah, look at me, I'm pretending that the government

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited January 2010
    congratulations guys, you're beating a dead horse

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Usagi wrote: »

ssc2010-02b_Sm.jpg

false-color is so cool

You know what they should do

They should print out a ginormous (I mean like, 40 feet) version of this and make it some sort of inlay into the ground that people can just walk around and look at

Tam on
    edited January 2010
    congratulations guys, you're beating a dead horse

Suck it, grandpa!

SeñorAmor on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tam wrote: »

ssc2010-02b_Sm.jpg

false-color is so cool

You know what they should do

They should print out a ginormous (I mean like, 40 feet) version of this and make it some sort of inlay into the ground that people can just walk around and look at

I'm pretty sure they did that with the latest huge picture of the Milky Way, but I can't find a link anywhere.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    by dead horse Dru means his mother.

Wallhitter on
    edited January 2010
    Wallhitter wrote: »

for the last time, she's a whore not a horse

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wallhitter wrote: »

for the last time, she's a whore not a horse

really? they told me she was both!

Wallhitter on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Abracadaniel on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey, someone give me 1700 bucks, I need to buy a new peristaltic pump for one of my instruments at work and the people who run our purchasing group are the biggest bunch of fucktards to walk the earth. I'd rather eat the old pump and shoot myself then deal with those bastards.

Either that or keep me entertained while I fill out 150 screens worth of information to get a requisition number, which then can be used to fill out another 50 screens to get a PO number, which can then be put into the ordering system to request the part from the vendor. Then I can contact the vendor, because the lazy fuckers who do this for a living can't use phones apparently, order the item, and then wait to get ass raped on shipping charges. Someone kill me.

Hunter on
    edited January 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Finally, something I can use!

babyeatingjesus on
    edited January 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    Hey, someone give me 1700 bucks, I need to buy a new peristaltic pump for one of my instruments at work and the people who run our purchasing group are the biggest bunch of fucktards to walk the earth. I'd rather eat the old pump and shoot myself then deal with those bastards.

Either that or keep me entertained while I fill out 150 screens worth of information to get a requisition number, which then can be used to fill out another 50 screens to get a PO number, which can then be put into the ordering system to request the part from the vendor. Then I can contact the vendor, because the lazy fuckers who do this for a living can't use phones apparently, order the item, and then wait to get ass raped on shipping charges. Someone kill me.

look, someone needs to keep you in check otherwise you might actually get some work done and then we wouldn't be able to keep you in your place

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Seriously, who makes a requisition system where data can't be carried over from one page to the next. Do I really need to fill out fields like my name, my group, and my phone number on every fucking page? Really...can't carry that over at all or have it in there since I have to log the fuck in anyway to use said system?

Whatever happened to the good old days where I picked the item out of an engineering catalog, told my secretary to order it on the company dime, slap her on the ass, and then go have a scotch.

Hunter on
    edited January 2010
    is it a sole-source vendor? god I hate doing that paperwork

Usagi on
    edited January 2010
    Of course. Wouldn't want a third party to make the part and not have it be 1700 bucks for a simple motor with a drive shaft that attaches to the little wheel that moves sample fluid into a spray chamber and then the drain tube. Worst part is the contortionist routine you must do to remove the 3 screws and then get this fucker out. I swear it was designed by either retarded monkeys or perhaps Hitler. Maybe Hitler's brain in a money.

Hunter on
    edited January 2010
    Hunter stop breaking the interoscitter and you won't have to order parts.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited January 2010
    Of course. Wouldn't want a third party to make the part and not have it be 1700 bucks for a simple motor with a drive shaft that attaches to the little wheel that moves sample fluid into a spray chamber and then the drain tube. Worst part is the contortionist routine you must do to remove the 3 screws and then get this fucker out. I swear it was designed by either retarded monkeys or perhaps Hitler. Maybe Hitler's brain in a money.

My favorite has always been explaining to purchasing that yes, there is only one manufacturer of these bolts, DC motor, etc in the entire world and no, it's not ok for you to contact other people to see "if they can do it" because they're not certified you silly git.

Usagi on
    edited January 2010

My favorite has always been explaining to purchasing that yes, there is only one manufacturer of these bolts, DC motor, etc in the entire world and no, it's not ok for you to contact other people to see "if they can do it" because they're not certified you silly git.

haha that sounds like my mom
    she's always convinced that she can save money by calling someone else and of course they usually say they can because salemen

and then she ends up with a job done poorly or an item that's not really what she wanted and I'm just like, I tried to tell you

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Now they're asking me why I need a replacement. My answer = it's broken.

That is not a valid reason. Apparently, items can't break in this reality and I must now roll a saving check on a pump. FML.

Wait...broken is acceptable, but I have to explain why. I'm thinking of going metaphysical like we're all slowly dieing or breaking in some way, entropy and all.

Hunter on
    edited January 2010

That is not a valid reason. Apparently, items can't break in this reality and I must now roll a saving check on a pump. FML.

Wait...broken is acceptable, but I have to explain why. I'm thinking of going metaphysical like we're all slowly dieing or breaking in some way, entropy and all.

Oh yes, so this is where you get to write a whole page email to purchasing, cc'ing your program manager and sometimes even the regional manager with phrases like "end of life" and "amortization" and "future of our business" and "pleasing the customer with prompt and accurate deliverables"

I think I've finally condensed it into a sort of form letter, so all I have to do is change out names, part numbers and prices

Usagi on
    edited January 2010
    but really

shaving fly dicks with lasers

how much more 'mad science' can you get

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2010
    but really

it's up there with the fMRI of people screwing turned into a video

e: but I think that deserves a thread title change

Usagi on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Oh yes, so this is where you get to write a whole page email to purchasing, cc'ing your program manager and sometimes even the regional manager with phrases like "end of life" and "amortization" and "future of our business" and "pleasing the customer with prompt and accurate deliverables"

I think I've finally condensed it into a sort of form letter, so all I have to do is change out names, part numbers and prices

Science in action, folks!

UnbrokenEva on
    edited January 2010
    hey college engineering students

NASA Langley is hiring Research Summer Scholars, apps due 1 Feb

Usagi on
    edited January 2010
    but really

it's up there with the fMRI of people screwing turned into a video

e: but I think that deserves a thread title change

:^:

<3

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2010
    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    but really

The world of circumcision is about to be forever changed

Dorktron9000 on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I came in here to read about laser razors and brazillian flies and the friggin link is broken

#pipe on
This discussion has been closed.