As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of the Year 2009 [Let's Vote]

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hm, I was just wondering, because to me Game of the Year/Decade implies that I vote for the game that I think was the most complete and enjoyable package. In any case, I just discovered that Majora's Mask was released in the 2000's, so yeah it's probably that.
    which also has to be the least influential piece of digital media in that decade, because there is no second game like it yet. :x

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait... Was monster hunter united released this year or last?
    edit: Oh shit it was released this year. Now I want to change my votes. Is it on the list?
    edit: No it's not on this! No wonder I didn't vote for it! For shame!

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hm, I was just wondering, because to me Game of the Year/Decade implies that I vote for the game that I think was the most complete and enjoyable package. In any case, I just discovered that Majora's Mask was released in the 2000's, so yeah it's probably that.
    which also has to be the least influential piece of digital media in that decade, because there is no second game like it yet. :x

It could be argued that it inspired Time Manipulation games like Blinx, Braid, Sands of Time and even Viewtiful Joe...

Of course, there's no game that uses that exact same mechanic, but still.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Easy vote for me this year.

1. Little King's Story (Wii)
    2. Legend of Princess (PC)

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    GeorgePKGeorgePK __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    1.Dragon Age
    2.um....Left 4 Dead 2

GeorgePK on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I hereby declare the unnominated Monster Hunter Freedom Unite as my #1 pick for Game of the Year in a pouty fashion!

Stigma on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stigma wrote: »
    edit: Oh shit it was released this year. Now I want to change my votes. Is it on the list?

It's not on the list because it was deemed too similar to Freedom 2.

Renzo on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Why would the vote for your game of the decade be dependent by it's influence on the industry? Metroid Prime is maybe not be my absolute favorite, it's a strong contender though, I'll admit that.

Because "Game of the Decade" to me implies a game that was important not just when it was released, but affected the entire generation of games that came after. So a game like Metroid Prime which reinvented a much-beloved but long lost franchise, changed the way First Person Shooters are viewed, so handily overcame negative expectations, came out of nowhere, and (it could be argued) prevented the Gamecube's outright demise, should be cemented at the top.

Also because it's my opinion and I can do what I want.

Well then if that's your criteria the only answers for Game of the Decade are Halo or World of Warcraft

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    Stigma wrote: »

It's not on the list because it was deemed too similar to Freedom 2.

I suppose I can understand the reasoning. Even if the bonus content outweighs most games in sheer length. I never did get an opportunity to nominate Freedom 2 last year, though it was probably up against stiffer competition.

I'll be a retard and nominate it for game of the decade, since my vote will matter so little that I may aswell throw down for the little guy.

Stigma on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Why would the vote for your game of the decade be dependent by it's influence on the industry? Metroid Prime is maybe not be my absolute favorite, it's a strong contender though, I'll admit that.

Because "Game of the Decade" to me implies a game that was important not just when it was released, but affected the entire generation of games that came after. So a game like Metroid Prime which reinvented a much-beloved but long lost franchise, changed the way First Person Shooters are viewed, so handily overcame negative expectations, came out of nowhere, and (it could be argued) prevented the Gamecube's outright demise, should be cemented at the top.

Well then if that's your criteria the only answers for Game of the Decade are Halo or World of Warcraft

I'd say that Grand Theft Auto 3 had just as much of an impact on the gaming industry and culture in general as Halo did. Perhaps a bit more.

I can also think of several FPS games that had more of an impact on the genre than Metroid Prime, but thats, like, just my opinion, man.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

Or Wii Sports. Or maybe Guitar Hero.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Voting by any criteria besides "game(s) I had the most fun with" is silly. Otherwise you're basing your vote on what other people value instead of yourself, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of the poll imo.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What the fuck was the game that first used Xbox Live...

MechWarrior or something?

T4CT on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

It could be argued that it inspired Time Manipulation games like Blinx, Braid, Sands of Time and even Viewtiful Joe...

Of course, there's no game that uses that exact same mechanic, but still.

Well Sands of Time would actually more be Jordan Mechner inspiring himself from The Last Express. Which come to think of it, Majora's Mask is actually a lot like. With the time travel and small amount of time with character's going about their business with or without you, smaller focus with more detail in the things the characters do. I never really considered that before.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My picks:
    Thanks! You voted for:

1. Retro Game Challenge (DS)
    2. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (360,DS,PC,PS2,PS3,PSP,Wii)
    3. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    4. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
    5. Dragon Quest V (DS)

Sadly, that was nearly all the new releases I got to play last year. (I didn't see Peggle DS, or I would have voted for that, since I'm playing the shit out of that right now.) I also played Prinny, Fire Emblem DS, and one level of RE 5... and I didn't vote for any of them because I didn't like any of them.

Batman I got to play on a friend's 360, and I have to say, I feel weird about it. It's a better-designed game than Wolverine, and definitely is superior in terms of story, music, voice acting, and atmosphere, but Wolverine was just much more fun to play. I don't usually enjoy games like Wolverine any more, but it was just too much fun to randomly dismember hapless goons while experiencing one of the most absurdly half-assed storylines I've ever seen in an action game. The main thing I liked in Batman was the invisible predator sections. I got tired of the big gangs of goons everywhere else, but dicking with the armed guys by throwing random Batarangs to make noise, hanging goons upside down from gargoyles, and grabbing unsuspecting guys from behind and then frightening all his friends never got old. Some of the boss fights were good, but others
    like the tiresomely long sewer section with Killer Croc

weren't much fun. I did like the exploration, but I suppose that's a given since I like single-player games that reward you for exploring and backtracking (Metroid, many a Zelda game, dungeon crawlers, etc.).

I suppose I would have bought more games if I hadn't had to go into massive debt during the summer and then had my income fall way, way off in the fall. Although to be honest, I'm so disenchanted with console and PC gaming right now that I don't know how many games I would have bought anyway. The only ones that come to mind are Dragon Age and Beatles Rock Band.

Oh, and I made Retro Game Challenge my GOTY because I had way, way more fun playing that than anything else last year.

Game Of The Decade:
    For me? Metroid Prime. I was so skeptical that it would be any good at all, so when I finally did play it, I was blown away. As an experience, it's just perfect. I'll admit that my main criteria is simply to pick a game that I enjoyed. Others that might make the list are KOTOR, Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia, Wind Waker, and PoP Sands of Time.

edit: Oh, and thanks for doing this again, mcc. I wasn't posting at the time, just lurking, but I remember when you were a mod around here.

Norfair on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes! Someone besides me remembered to include Retro Game Challenge!

edit:

good job Lunker, pslong, cooljammer, shadowfire, Sporks, renzo, toranksu, Pika, and of course Norfair.

You are all good people.

slash000 on
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Yes! Someone besides me remembered to include Retro Game Challenge!

edit:

good job Lunker, pslong, cooljammer, shadowfire, Sporks, renzo, toranksu, Pika, and of course Norfair.

You are all good people.

Fuck yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembered to vote for RGC. 8-) edit: You guys all rock. I'm giving all of you guys imaginary internet fist bumps so hard right now.

Norfair on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    To be fair, I put it very low on my list because I played it...that means it goes on the list.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    The problem is that there are always going to be people who cannot see past the current gen graphics, improvements to gameplay, etc. How do we take games that were great when they came out, and have had sequels that fixed things and were better? It's not fair to the other game to completely nix it from voting, because it was fantastic at the time, but if we vote on all games based on how good they were at the time we might as well just stare at the lists from the past ten years and not do anything with them.

Besides game of the decade was obviously Mass Effect

So, hey, Odds on MW2 taking game of the decade? :x
    But seriously, Crysis would definately be in my top 10, if not 5. The core gameplay really is the best FPSing I've had in years. Playing Ep2, the gameplay was starting to feel archaic, which is funny since the original HL still feels fairly tight when I replayed it a few years ago.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Retro Game Challenge is a damn good game(s). I popped it in played it for an hour yesterday just to remind myself, and there's just nothing else like it. Other than the sequel, of course. But I don't like to reopen that wound.

Renzo on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks! You voted for:

1. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
    2. Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (Wii*)
    3. King's Bounty: Armored Princess (PC)
    4. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS)
    5. Contra ReBirth (Wii*)
    6. Punch-Out!! (Wii)
    7. Excitebots: Trick Racing (Wii)
    8. Street Fighter IV (360,PC,PS3)
    9. Dead Space: Extraction (Wii)
    10. MadWorld (Wii)
    11. House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii)
    12. Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)
    13. Torchlight (PC)
    14. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    15. Trine (PC,PS3*)
    16. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
    17. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits (Wii*)

I kinda cheated on a few though. First, Torchlight, batman, trine, and nyxquest i have only played the demos. Secondly, Spirit Tracks I bought but haven't even opened yet. Lastly, I didn't actually play Armored Princess but recently beat the original king's bounty: the legend. I figured, it is basically the same gameplay, and I really liked it, so why the hell not.

I've been playing older releases the past year (especially on the PC), but was still kinda surprised I didn't even make it to 20. A lot of the games I got were a year or older or on clearance from Fry's. A good amount of the PC games I played in 2009 were old: Quake Live, Quakeworld, Urban Terror, Age of Empires1, Titan Quest, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, King's Bounty, among others. A lot of pre 2000 stuff for me on the PC front.

I was looking, and damn, how sad is it that SF4 was the only 2009 PC game I bought? Not too much interesting stuff, for me at least, came out on the PC that year.

edit: ahh Moon DS, I knew that came out in 2009, but wasn't on the list. I'm sure there are a few others that werent mentioned so i guess my list isnt 100%

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Retro Game Challenge is a damn good game(s). I popped it in played it for an hour yesterday just to remind myself, and there's just nothing else like it. Other than the sequel, of course. But I don't like to reopen that wound.

I get the warm and fuzzies just thinking about RGC. <3 Oddly, I'm nostalgic for a game that is itself supposed to inspire nostalgia for other games. I might start another runthrough today just for fun. It was a January release, wasn't it? I'm not surprised if a lot of other people forgot about it, especially since it was a pretty low-profile release.

I was also really surprised that Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes ended up being one of my favorite DS games (and overall games) this year, especially since it just came out mid-December and snuck out of nowhere. I like it better than Puzzle Quest, honestly.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ConnorConnor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    World of Warcraft is the game of the decade.

It has become "cool" to not like it simply because that is what gamer counter-culture calls for ; they abhor things that become popular or mainstream. Mr. T and Ozzy Osbourne do commercials for WoW, and WoW has become a household name. How better to demonstrate your discerning tastes than by stating that you hate something which so many enjoy. As we all know, the mob is mindless and its taste is fickle. How else could we know your love of Radiohead is genuine if you don't first tell us how much you despise the Black Eyed Peas.

Face it, WoW changed the way people view MMO's. They are no longer for the fat, pimply, Dorito munching assistant manager at the card store where you buy your pogs. Your brother and sister-in-law play, your co-workers play, your teacher plays. There are millions of subscribers.

Oh, and saying you don't like WoW (as a game) because of the people who play it is like saying you hated The Shawshank Redemption because the person behind you in the theater wouldn't stop talking about Chuck Norris.

Connor on
    XBL/PSN/ORIGIN/STEAM: LowKeyedUp
    2dd40bd72f597f21.png
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    wow..... I really didn't play many new games this year... Trials HD all the way for me

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Connor wrote: »
    Oh, and saying you don't like WoW (as a game) because of the people who play it is like saying you hated The Shawshank Redemption because the person behind you in the theater wouldn't stop talking about Chuck Norris.

Except that World Of Warcraft requires you to play with other people. Which makes the annoyances that playing with other people a valid criticism of the game, at least when it comes to personal enjoyment.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It has become "cool" to not like it simply because that is what gamer counter-culture calls for ; they abhor things that become popular or mainstream.

Except that, you know, I just don't like the game. Oh, and the only people I know that still play the game are the very definition of 'nerds'.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It has become "cool" to not like it simply because that is what gamer counter-culture calls for ; they abhor things that become popular or mainstream.

Except that, you know, I just don't like the game. Oh, and the only people I know that play the game are the very definition of 'nerds'.

You are posting on a webcomic forum for a webcomic that dissects the video gaming industry. Furthermore, you're debating Video Game of the Decade. You're a nerd, sir.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    World of Warcraft is the game of the decade, if all you care about is effect on the industry and market penetration.

If you actually care about things like fun, and overall gameplay, it isn't though. If you rate based on things like sales and influence then Halo is probably the logical FPS of the decade, and yet I can name at least half a dozen FPS titles I enjoy more than Halo. Probably a dozen or more, really.

WoW is a very polished MMO that did indeed open a genre to the masses that had previously capped at around 500k subscribers per game - very impressive. But even a game like EQ2 has better mechanics, better crafting, better variety in classes and races, better... WoW outselling EQ2 doesn't magically make it a better game to me. More influential? Sure. But if that's all you want to consider to choose a game of the decade, let's just get someone from the sales thread to provide all of the sales numbers for the decade, and there you go - no voting necessary.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    World of Warcraft is the game of the decade.

It has become "cool" to not like it simply because that is what gamer counter-culture calls for ; they abhor things that become popular or mainstream. Mr. T and Ozzy Osbourne do commercials for WoW, and WoW has become a household name. How better to demonstrate your discerning tastes than by stating that you hate something which so many enjoy. As we all know, the mob is mindless and its taste is fickle. How else could we know your love of Radiohead is genuine if you don't first tell us how much you despise the Black Eyed Peas.

Face it, WoW changed the way people view MMO's. They are no longer for the fat, pimply, Dorito munching assistant manager at the card store where you buy your pogs. Your brother and sister-in-law play, your co-workers play, your teacher plays. There are millions of subscribers.

Except Rock Band is one of my favorite games and is another one of the big mainstream titles.

Also Halo ain't my cup of tea but I don't think it sucks.

So you are wrong and probably shouldn't base your argument on unfounded assumptions about people that disagree with you.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

I get the warm and fuzzies just thinking about RGC. <3 Oddly, I'm nostalgic for a game that is itself supposed to inspire nostalgia for other games. I might start another runthrough today just for fun. It was a January release, wasn't it? I'm not surprised if a lot of other people forgot about it, especially since it was a pretty low-profile release.

I was also really surprised that Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes ended up being one of my favorite DS games (and overall games) this year, especially since it just came out mid-December and snuck out of nowhere. I like it better than Puzzle Quest, honestly.

I still haven't bought it.

I'm a bad person. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ConnorConnor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Except Rock Band is one of my favorite games and is another one of the big mainstream titles.

Also Halo ain't my cup of tea but I don't think it sucks.

So you are wrong and probably shouldn't base your argument on unfounded assumptions about people that disagree with you.

I really hope you don't think I truly meant that everyone here loves Radiohead and hates the Black Eyed Peas too. The observation I made on counter-cultures in general is not new or innovative...this is the internet, surely you'll forgive me some hyperbole.

Connor on
    XBL/PSN/ORIGIN/STEAM: LowKeyedUp
    2dd40bd72f597f21.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ketar wrote: »
    WoW is a very polished MMO that did indeed open a genre to the masses that had previously capped at around 500k subscribers per game - very impressive. But even a game like EQ2 has better mechanics, better crafting, better variety in classes and races, better... WoW outselling EQ2 doesn't magically make it a better game to me. More influential? Sure. But if that's all you want to consider to choose a game of the decade, let's just get someone from the sales thread to provide all of the sales numbers for the decade, and there you go - no voting necessary.

Well...yeah. Exactly. You stated the main reason why it belongs as game of the decade, like most other people have said.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Except that, you know, I just don't like the game. Oh, and the only people I know that play the game are the very definition of 'nerds'.

You are posting on a webcomic forum for a webcomic that dissects the video gaming industry. Furthermore, you're debating Video Game of the Decade. You're a nerd, sir.

I plead guilty, but I never said otherwise. ;-)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »

I plead guilty, but I never said otherwise. ;-)

You seemed to be condemning your own kind. I had to call it out.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I named 8 games, simply because they were the 8 total games that I purchased from this year. In that moment, I learned something about myself: I am either playing older games I already love, or trying/buying older games that I missed from previous years.

Part of the issue was that I spent most of the year with an aging PC and finally upgraded before the Holidays. The other part was that I didn't see a lot of new games that appealed to me this year, and the few that did usually disappointed. I'm slowly becoming that grumpy old nerd who plays old games that other people are tired of. haha

My number 1 pick was Borderlands but it was by default because even though it was flawed it was still the best "new" game I played all year.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Well...yeah. Exactly. You stated the main reason why it belongs as game of the decade, like most other people have said.

No. Most influential game of the decade? Maybe. Still arguable there though. Best selling game of the decade? Perhaps, I honestly have no idea.

Best game of the decade though? Not on any level that judges qualitative, rather than quantitative aspects, like fun or gameplay.

Again, if you just want to pull sales numbers, sure, maybe WoW is the game of the decade. Though I have a sneaking suspicion we'd end up with something like Wii Sports holding the title. But when we're talking about a poll in which people vote for their favorites, none of those points should have any impact whatsoever. "It's my favorite because lots of other people liked it who wouldn't have liked that kind of game before."

Really? Is that really what you're going for here?

Ketar on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    WoW could reasonably be considered the "best" game of the decade for the simple reason that even after 5+ years, 11.5 million people still pay $15 a month to play. Regardless of your opinion of the game and what you think about the people who play it, it's hard to argue with any game that rakes in $2 billion dollars a year. Even if you don't like MMO's or WoW in particular, Blizzard has found a magic formula for causing people to open their wallets for the same game month after month, year after year.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

No. Most influential game of the decade? Maybe. Still arguable there though. Best selling game of the decade? Perhaps, I honestly have no idea.

Best game of the decade though? Not on any level that judges qualitative, rather than quantitative aspects, like fun or gameplay.

Again, if you just want to pull sales numbers, sure, maybe WoW is the game of the decade. Though I have a sneaking suspicion we'd end up with something like Wii Sports holding the title. But when we're talking about a poll in which people vote for their favorites, none of those points should have any impact whatsoever. "It's my favorite because lots of other people liked it who wouldn't have liked that kind of game before."

Really? Is that really what you're going for here?

Yes. In the same way that, for example, Wii Sports isn't the most fun thing ever created ever but I think it's amazing how it's taken hold of the public consciousness. I wouldn't mind if it was game of the decade, either.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    El Guaco wrote: »
    WoW could reasonably be considered the "best" game of the decade for the simple reason that even after 5+ years, 11.5 million people still pay $15 a month to play. Regardless of your opinion of the game and what you think about the people who play it, it's hard to argue with any game that rakes in $2 billion dollars a year. Even if you don't like MMO's or WoW in particular, Blizzard has found a magic formula for causing people to open their wallets for the same game month after month, year after year.

* The best-selling album of 2000 was No Strings Attached, by *NSYNC.[41]
    * The best-selling album of 2001 was Hybrid Theory, by Linkin Park.[41]
    * The best-selling album of 2002 was The Eminem Show, by Eminem.[42]
    * The best-selling album of 2003 was Get Rich or Die Tryin', by 50 Cent.[43]
    * The best-selling album of 2004 was Confessions, by Usher.[44]
    * The best-selling album of 2005 was The Emancipation of Mimi, by Mariah Carey.[39]
    * The best-selling album of 2006 was High School Musical Soundtrack.[38]
    * The best-selling album of 2007 was Noel, by Josh Groban.[45]
    * The best-selling album of 2008 was Tha Carter III, by Lil Wayne.[46]
    * The best-selling album of 2009 was Fearless, by Taylor Swift.[47]

So, I take it you believe this is a good list of the best musical artists of the 2000s then?

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    El Guaco wrote: »

* The best-selling album of 2000 was No Strings Attached, by *NSYNC.[41]
    * The best-selling album of 2001 was Hybrid Theory, by Linkin Park.[41]
    * The best-selling album of 2002 was The Eminem Show, by Eminem.[42]
    * The best-selling album of 2003 was Get Rich or Die Tryin', by 50 Cent.[43]
    * The best-selling album of 2004 was Confessions, by Usher.[44]
    * The best-selling album of 2005 was The Emancipation of Mimi, by Mariah Carey.[39]
    * The best-selling album of 2006 was High School Musical Soundtrack.[38]
    * The best-selling album of 2007 was Noel, by Josh Groban.[45]
    * The best-selling album of 2008 was Tha Carter III, by Lil Wayne.[46]
    * The best-selling album of 2009 was Fearless, by Taylor Swift.[47]

So, I take it you believe this is a good list of the best musical artists of the 2000s then?

If sales are included in one's personal evaluation of "best," sure. And along with sales, popularity and influence on culture.

Of course these are albums and may not be the best measure of musical artists in general, since not all of them have "albums." Maybe some guy playing a guitar has more views on youtube than Taylor's album sales, for example.

UncleSporky on