As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Taikodom] - Freespace the MMO ! Also Free!

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Entaru wrote: »
    Soo... is this game any fun? I'm intrigued.

It plays like a mix between EVE and Freelancer. I don't know what the endgame is but I'm guessing it's PvP considering most of the zones in the game are unsafe.

Also you know how freelancer and eve dislike the input device known as the joystick? This game likes said device.

It works with the joystick, but 'likes' might be a bit of an overstatement. It doesn't seem to like recognizing non-button presses (changing axes and such) when it comes to reassigning controls in-game, from what I can tell. So unless I can find a way to alter the mess in the ini files (and keep the updater from changing it back) , I'm stuck with my throttle lever putting me into a roll, and my Z-axis adjusting my throttle.

Of course, it's a beta, so it's going to have rough edges. But for some joystick owners, it's much easier to just manage with the mouse and keyboard for now.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Soo... is this game any fun? I'm intrigued.

It plays like a mix between EVE and Freelancer. I don't know what the endgame is but I'm guessing it's PvP considering most of the zones in the game are unsafe.

Also you know how freelancer and eve dislike the input device known as the joystick? This game likes said device.

It works with the joystick, but 'likes' might be a bit of an overstatement. It doesn't seem to like recognizing non-button presses (changing axes and such) when it comes to reassigning controls in-game, from what I can tell. So unless I can find a way to alter the mess in the ini files (and keep the updater from changing it back) , I'm stuck with my throttle lever putting me into a roll, and my Z-axis adjusting my throttle.

Of course, it's a beta, so it's going to have rough edges. But for some joystick owners, it's much easier to just manage with the mouse and keyboard for now.

To be fair I hadn't try to re-assign the throttle yet.

So I guess at this stage it's better to say it tolerates a joystick ok.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God is it supposed to be impossible to aim at anything? The crosshairs refuse to go where I point the mouse. The pointer cursor is on screen at the same time as the firing cursor. I'm pretty sure that's not right. Anyone know how to fix that?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    God is it supposed to be impossible to aim at anything? The crosshairs refuse to go where I point the mouse. The pointer cursor is on screen at the same time as the firing cursor. I'm pretty sure that's not right. Anyone know how to fix that?

The Alt key toggles it, I think. You press Alt to go into "pointer" mode to select menu items, and press it again to go back to flight mode.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I'm kind of confused in... what exactly I'm supposed to do? Mostly in getting new items and stuff. From what I can tell I'm using up ammunition so that means I need to buy new ammo, but there doesn't seem to be anything for my magnetic gun, and the ammo for the gauss guns seems quite expensive.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In as juggernaut named Sajuuk Khar

Been trying to get missiles to work, the bind says SFT + 1 but that doesn't seem to work?

Q fires missiles, Shift-# changes the active launcher.

I made the same mistake when i first started. If you scroll down in the bindings list there is a thing that says "Fire launcher - Q " and i totally missed it the first time i looked and was pushing shift +1 going "Why wont it fire!?" the same as you.

Edit: So answer about ammo, its not expensive. 1 unit of ammo is 1000 shots. So when you see 50 T$ for 1 unit, thats 1000 ammo shots. Also Magnetic is a gun for taking down shields and doesn't use ammo, it is an energy weapon, those dont use ammo, there are a few different kinds. It is all things you will get the hang of as you go. Personally i use Particle Cannons and Rail Cannons, slower rate of fire and shorter range but much higher damage output.

Also a good tip for those who like it: Pus I to change to a cockpit view, an push R to turn your sensors on and off.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

The Alt key toggles it, I think. You press Alt to go into "pointer" mode to select menu items, and press it again to go back to flight mode.

Nono, I'm in flight mode, but the navigation mode cursor is still there.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hm. No idea then. And it persists through closing/restarting the game?

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Picked out the name "Alatar Locke" in-game.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Soooo,people dont like to talk very much in this game huh. The general chat seems dead most of the time,except for some brazilian guys asking dumb questions or help to kill someone

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've got my first tier II basic ship. Go team ! I've also got tier 4 basic cannons now too.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've got my first tier II basic ship. Go team ! I've also got tier 4 basic cannons now too.

Nice! What rank are you?

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sorry Elimination about that time,my taikodom went crazy and crashed

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well the game was hanging at a loading screen while moving an item. So i closed the game, now when i try to re-enter it just hangs at the loading screen at 0%, so i guess i will play when able.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was on for a bit earlier but I'm still battling stability issues. Had a couple of crashes.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So i think my character is bugged or something. I can log into all my other characters except my main ever since i closed out of the game because it was hanging when transferring an item from my ship to the storage. Now when i try to log into my main it hangs at the loading screen at 0% indefinitely, i even tried leaving it for an hour, it still wont load him. Tried restarting my comp, still wont load.

I dont know what to do now.

Elimination on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh cool, a freespace MMO---

Wait, no Joystick? Freelancer style?

... Okay, I'm still interested, but if it's mouse operated it is not Freespace the MMO, it is Freelancer the MMO.

This post made entirely to complain about the thread title. So sorry, guys. :(

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Athenor wrote: »

... Okay, I'm still interested, but if it's mouse operated it is not Freespace the MMO, it is Freelancer the MMO.

YOu didn't read most of this thread if you think that a Joystick is a no go.

Elimination on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Oh? My bad then. I just kept hearing freelancer comparisons. I retract my earlier bitching.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Oh? My bad then. I just kept hearing freelancer comparisons. I retract my earlier bitching.

It was only stated multiple times on multiple pages about how good the joystick support in this game is.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It was only stated multiple times on multiple pages about how good the joystick support in this game is.

... What the fuck was I reading then?

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

... What the fuck was I reading then?

Thats what i was wondering.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, in any case, downloading now. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

And I might see if I can get my bro's X52 out of storage, as my Sidewinder Precision Pro has seen better days and I've not found anything other than the X52 that feels as good in my hands.

Athenor on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God damn this game.

I get through the first five lines of the tutorial, click on "Use terminal" and it does nothing, just fades to the same screen.

This is among multiple crashes previously, in addition windowed mode apparently not doing anything. How does one resize the window for windowed mode?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Unlucky wrote: »
    God damn this game.

I get through the first five lines of the tutorial, click on "Use terminal" and it does nothing, just fades to the same screen.

This is among multiple crashes previously, in addition windowed mode apparently not doing anything. How does one resize the window for windowed mode?

This happened to me too, that use terminal kind of lags a bit. I dont know why, but it does the first time. Just wait and it will pop up after a few minutes.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, thanks for the heads up. :)

Edit: It worked, name's Unlucky One

Annoying some windows rake AGES to fire up though. :S Regardless, to me this is just Freelancer the MMO. It's brilliant, I've been hoping for something like this since I first played Freelancer. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I could not for the life of me get the game to run last night. On first boot up all the game would do was get past the patcher and hang at a black screen no matter how long I let it wait. After a reboot the game kept crashing right after log in.

I might need to re-install it. bah.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God almighty the UI code for this game sucks. Stunningly long waits for basic functions and button pressing is far more alpha than beta, I'd think.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Recommend OP change name thread title to Freelancer the MMO! Also Free!

Just did Mining 101 quest, good God the ship I chose is horrible for combat. You basically have to line up the asteroid perfectly or get above it, as the top of the ship obstructs the line of fire of the guns. (And the aiming recticles aren't great.)

BTW: Merchant ship\class here. :)

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Recommend OP change name thread title to Freelancer the MMO! Also Free!

Just did Mining 101 quest, good God the ship I chose is horrible for combat. You basically have to line up the asteroid perfectly or get above it, as the top of the ship obstructs the line of fire of the guns. (And the aiming recticles aren't great.)

BTW: Merchant ship\class here. :)

Hit the "i" key. You will get a first person view making it a lot easier to aim at stuff.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I tried this a few months ago when I first heard about it. The UI was shit then, too and I was literally the only english speaker for the hour and a half I was on it. Since PA is giving it a go, I might DL this again.

e: Ok, think I might make an explorer. Are explorers fun? I don't even know.

e2: woot, rank 5 explorer, name is Ehn.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    God almighty the UI code for this game sucks. Stunningly long waits for basic functions and button pressing is far more alpha than beta, I'd think.

I know the UI code/lag is really the biggest thing holding this game back, the rest of the presentation and play is stellar. It sucks that it is all being bogged down by one crappy design decision.

It's still a brilliant idea for a game though and it shocks me it has not been done before.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    n00bish wrote: »
    I tried this a few months ago when I first heard about it. The UI was shit then, too and I was literally the only english speaker for the hour and a half I was on it. Since PA is giving it a go, I might DL this again.

We shall conquer space as we conqured that browser based card game.

With an Iron Fist!

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Anyone know how to go to Last Chance? I get in the portal and it says Acess Denied :x

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    n00bish wrote: »

We shall conquer space as we conqured that browser based card game.

With an Iron Fist!

Haha you lost me there for a second. Fucking Estiah. That was fun.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I still cant play my main..this is getting frustrating. I did what the support guy said and now i can get into the game, but my ship wont appear on screen and i cant undock or interact with my ships.

Elimination on
  • Options
    BrinkBrink Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think it's worth pointing out that this is only the Brazilian beta, which is where all the servers are located. I'd imagine when the game goes into beta in the US the net code / UI should be a lot better.

Brink on
    ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Brink wrote: »
    I think it's worth pointing out that this is only the Brazilian beta, which is where all the servers are located. I'd imagine when the game goes into beta in the US the net code / UI should be a lot better.

I hope so, its looking like i might have to re-make my character because im totally unable to do anything when i log into him.

Elimination on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll start the DL when I get home and dust off the joystick.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would like this more if I could shoot more than one gun at a time.

Or am I doing something wrong? Can you set weapon groups?

pantsy on