As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Barcrawl :D

arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in PAX Archive
To Whom It May Concern:

I've been keeping an eye on the forums about a Boston event, but nothing appeared to have much steam behind it. Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself and it's too early for such talks, but I'm anxious for my first PAX. If someone else was already planning a event then hopefully this post will just serve to get some people talking about the event. I don't mean to step on toes, but as a dedicated alcoholic I felt like this situation needed to be addressed.

I live in Boston and I've planned a number of barcrawls in the past, so I figure I have a good knowledge of routes, bars, and obstacles that may come up. That said, I could use some input from those interested in a barcrawl as the event is for all of you and making it a fun time for everyone involved is top priority.

Here are my concerns:

1) Duration? Should this be an all day affair or just a couple of hours of drinking?
2) What Day? Thursday means not cutting into PAX time, but people might not come to town until the weekend
3) Distance? I feel like we should cover some ground as a lot of people will be new to Boston, so covering Somerville/Cambridge/Boston/Allston would be a fun tour, but it means a longer crawl and more time spent traveling.

And most important in terms of me needing feedback - I've heard that PAX West hosted a impressive Triwizard Drinking Tournament - While I consider myself an expert on the consumption of alchol, this sort of contest is foreign to me (I just play wizards staff or beer die ...) Is there someone out there who has a great theme in mind?

This event could also use people familiar with Boston and/or it's Bars to help wrangle folks and obviously any/all feedback is helpful.

A meetup at a Boston bar to discusss ideas/critique my route/etc seems like a great plan ...

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
arsonisfun on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    atlusparker organizes these. Im sure you are just jumping the gun and he will have something up closer to pax.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ah

this man of mystery was unresponsive to my PM, hence posting ...

well, this can be considered an official Calling Out.
    !

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Atlus's PAX East barcrawl theme is Pokemon. I'm actually kinda excited to hear more details, but he probably won't post much more until closer to the time.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know, when I glanced at this thread's title I thought it said: PAX east Brawl.
    Well, there goes my hope of a huge meaningless nerd fight in Boston this year :(

Pablo the Penguin on
  • UncleangryUncleangry ACAM Volunteer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not so much interested in the brawl bit. HOWEVER, it would be pretty kickass to find an open indoor basketball court for some serious nerd rage dodgeball!

Uncleangry on
    The American Classic Arcade Museum Inc./, is a 501c3 non-profit corporation registered with the State of New Hampshire, which has been established to promote and preserve the history of coin-operated arcade games.
  • businessrobbusinessrob Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    pub crawl with a bunch of fellow gamers and PAfans?
    this pleases Gary Busey :mrgreen:

businessrob on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    I talked to atlus and he'll be posting the bar crawl thread within the month.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    dardor wrote: »
    Atlus's PAX East barcrawl theme is Pokemon. I'm actually kinda excited to hear more details, but he probably won't post much more until closer to the time.

Gotta Drink 'Em All!

Phrase copywrited by Epic Default :p

JonnyNero on
  • TheGamerTheGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    take no offence but I'm not sure I want to be drinking with someone named arsonisfun o_O

it does sound like a good idea tho :)

TheGamer on
  • HexcoreHexcore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Flaming Doctor Pepper I choose you!
    Use Fire Spin!

Its Super Effective !

Hexcore on
  • Hombre GatoHombre Gato Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We love videogames here in Boston, but if you walk into the wrong bar with a pokingman on yer tee, they *will* kick your ass.

Hombre Gato on
    edited January 2010
    You forget, those people will be vastly outnumbered by people wearing pokemon shirts.

VASTLY

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• OneJDOneJD Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    You forget, those people will be vastly outnumbered by people wearing pokemon shirts.

VASTLY

I doubt we'd even get to the point where we'd have to figure out how many pokemon wearing dorks it takes to beat up one normal person. This is because I doubt anybody wearing a pokemon shirt even has the interest, nevermind the sack, to walk into a bar around the Hynes.

The majority of bars around the Hynes are either: 1) trendy; or 2) targeting a specific class of person. Match, at the corner of Newbury St. and Mass. Ave., for example, is for trendy folk. The people you see in there will be hotter than any person a pokemon shirt-wearing dork could even dream of getting with. The same could be said of VOX, which is about 200 feet from the front door of the Hynes. Consequently, if you're wearing a pokemon shirt, I doubt you'd even want to show your face near these places out of embarrassment.

Alternatively, take Whiskey's, which isn't upscale but attracts sports fans and riff raff who end up in the Back Bay but should be at a hockey game instead. You wear a pokemon shirt in there, you're either looking for a fight, asking someone to make fun of you until you cry, or are completely and utterly oblivious.

Let me make this clear. The hynes convention center, as I've said before, is in an upscale part of town. Gucci, for example, is a 100 foot walk from the front door of the Hynes. The new condos that cost $1.5m plus are 200 feet from the entrance of Hynes. The Mandarin Oriental hotel, where Tom Cruise stayed at while he was filming in Boston is also 200 feet from the entrance of Hynes.

You really don't want to be wearing your nerdiness on your sleeve in this area. You will stick out like a sore thumb and depending on who you run into, there's a strong probability that you will either be laughed at, ridiculed, or actively avoided instead of just ignored.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put down everyone who goes to PAX. I am going to PAX. But I am a 29 year old man, married, with a license to be professionally responsible to others. I am not going to walking around town in a god damn pokemon t-shirt or anything even close to it.

But if you don't give a damn, by all means, feel free, just don't say I didn't warn you.

OneJD on
  • Hombre GatoHombre Gato Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was just joking, really.

You're probably right about the drinkeries but I wouldn't paint too strict a picture of the area. There are definitely establishments that aren't commoner friendly but you'll find a Dunkin' Donuts right next door. By all means, wear your colors with pride. Just not in bars. Seriously. We will kill you.

Hombre Gato on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OneJD, you're forgetting one little thing.

There will be 60,000 other people around you, all wearing nerdy shit. We will own that area for 5 blocks in any direction. When you see someone WITHOUT a PAX badge and lanyard, you'll be surprised. THEY'LL stick out like a sore thumb.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • philbertdephilbertde Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like the overly dramatic "Boston is so tough and hip" speech; it's cute and it makes me feel tough by association but it's pretty absurd. While the bars on Boylston are generally a weird mix of hipsters, fashionistas and preppy fratboys the fact that they are a mix means that it's all fairly inclusive; most people won't care one way or the other. So long as you don't venture far off the beaten path into Southie or Roxbury it's hard to imagine anyone getting hassled all that much. (Standard Disclaimer: Boston is a city, wandering around alone at night is not safe and is dumb, blah blah blah)

It's also important to note that this is at the same convention center that hosts Anime Boston, and anyone who's been around during that time can tell you that bars full of people with pink hair and cat ears or harry potter costumes is definitely not going to be a persecuted minority on Boylston St.

philbertde on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Since I don't drink I think I would prefer to participate in a bracrawl.

That sounds like more fun to me.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This thread is ridiculous.

Atlus Parker on
    edited January 2010
    I was just joking, really.

You're probably right about the drinkeries but I wouldn't paint too strict a picture of the area. There are definitely establishments that aren't commoner friendly but you'll find a Dunkin' Donuts right next door. By all means, wear your colors with pride. Just not in bars. Seriously. We will kill you.

Are you done playing internet tough guy now?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JamersJamers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I will be wearing Jigglypuff ears and I will be wearing them with pride.

Jamers on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jamers wrote: »

See? This is the spirit here.

Atlus Parker on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OneJD wrote: »
    I doubt we'd even get to the point where we'd ....

...But if you don't give a damn, by all means, feel free, just don't say I didn't warn you.

Ive been sitting here for a few minutes, trying to figure out exactly what about your post leaves me with a bad aftertaste...like when you find some ridiculous energy drink that you have to purchase only to find it tastes like ass. tangent...and i think ive realized that you sound like some of the obnoxious preppy kids i went to high school with, trying to point out whats cool and trying too hard.

not to stir up some shit, but youre going to a video game convention. were all nerds, and i think we've all passed the point where we care what others think about us. im pretty sure no one is going to beat me up or make me 'cry like a baby' if i went to some bar wearing pokemon clothing. especially, if i have a crowd with me with the same idea in mind. Ive worn some ridiculous nerd clothing going clubbing and bar hoping and im from this small city in florida called miami, you might have heard of it. it doesnt matter

also, if youve seen/read the last few barcrawls hosted by atlus, theyre all nerd themed and in nice parts of seattle. i cant imagine boston being any different.

point being, we're here to have fun and do silly things. your post about us trying to be cool just feels out of place

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jamers wrote: »

See? This is the spirit here.

And the correct one. Honestly, the Back Bay hosts Anime Boston each year and plenty of kids in cat ears eat lunch in the Pru food court next to the business people who work in the Pru Tower. People seem really excited to make Boston seem like this crazy city where the temp will be so low everyone will freeze, snow may be piled to the roofs, drivers will run on the side walk to hit tourists and that wild gangs of nerd haters roam the Back Bay looking to rumble. Good god people we are a ridiculously low key, easy going city. I know you want to feel cooler and tougher by living in your crazy version of Boston but seriously stop telling people that this is the way the city really is.

For future barcrawlers: Back Bay is nice but it's not like you're going to be walking into Morton's or Top of the Hub dressed as Mew, several of the Back Bay bars you'll probably hit have very active coke scenes so they'll be far too high to realize that you're in costume and most of the drunks in the area will probably get a kick out the costumes and enjoy having the crawl around. In fact, be prepared for plenty of people to want their picture with you if your costume is particularly interesting.

So wear your Jigglypuff ears with pride because damn it we love nerds here.

VisionOfClarity on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just have to say it - This thread literally made me LOL.

If Boston is so afraid of unhip, unfashionable, unBostonian nerds that they're willing to start streetside bar fights with us, they should not have put a giant convention center in the middle of the city right next to a major interstate to attract us EN MASSE.

If the trendy kids beat you up so much for being a nerd in your early years (Hombre Gato, OneJD), take this lesson now: travel in a flock of nerds and people will want to take your picture instead of your dignity.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    6580.jpg

I'll be sure to bring bail money.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They've got a point. I too walk around and beat up people who do things I do not do.

Djiem on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Im excited about this, because I'll finally be in a place where I can don my Sox hat with pride, instead of hiding it whenever I go to NYC for fear of vicious stabbings.

So lets see.... pub crawling in a place where I can show my team colors, with a bunch of gamers, at my first PAX ever....

Yea, I think I could do that.

P.S. I own no pokemon stuff, nor do I plan on purchasing any.

I'll roll with you guys, and have a blast, I'm just not enough of a pokemon guy to "represent" as it were.

Plus, I need to be able to ninja vanish/help you guys in the horrible event that trouble does start, since I have a background in security/the military.

AKA, I will let you get punched if you deserve it, but I'll help you defuse the situation if you dont.

ZeroHourHero on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    motivator850bf02d6df9ccd03a04acbb4c.jpg

ACC3SS on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Please, let's try not to get arrested before the convention even starts, okay?

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

VASTLY

I doubt we'd even get to the point where we'd have to figure out how many pokemon wearing dorks it takes to beat up one normal person. This is because I doubt anybody wearing a pokemon shirt even has the interest, nevermind the sack, to walk into a bar around the Hynes.

*snip*

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put down everyone who goes to PAX. I am going to PAX. But I am a 29 year old man, married, with a license to be professionally responsible to others. I am not going to walking around town in a god damn pokemon t-shirt or anything even close to it.

But if you don't give a damn, by all means, feel free, just don't say I didn't warn you.

I think this is the most absurd post I've ever seen on this board. But yeah, if you're that scared of what other people think of you, do your thing. Ironic that you're the one throwing down statements about who has 'sack' or not.

Wormdundee on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You forget, those people will be vastly outnumbered by people wearing pokemon shirts.VASTLY

Let me make this clear. The hynes convention center, as I've said before, is in an upscale part of town. Gucci, for example, is a 100 foot walk from the front door of the Hynes. The new condos that cost $1.5m plus are 200 feet from the entrance of Hynes. The Mandarin Oriental hotel, where Tom Cruise stayed at while he was filming in Boston is also 200 feet from the entrance of Hynes.

You really don't want to be wearing your nerdiness on your sleeve in this area. You will stick out like a sore thumb and depending on who you run into, there's a strong probability that you will either be laughed at, ridiculed, or actively avoided instead of just ignored..

Oh well then it's my kind of people unlike you plebeians like onejd who can't afford to walk around and do nothing and buy my designer things. I am so glad were staying near an area where such eminent people like tom cruise decide to bestow their greatness upon. His thetan count is so low anyone that is even near him feels better and surely his hotel room still radiates his greatness. I can not wait to go into bars with people that are truly more important than most people, to be among peers will be nice. Me and the other people that are more important than you will just laugh as you wear your pokeman shirts and you see being a superior person means that our opinions matter and you will have no option but to cry.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    motivator850bf02d6df9ccd03a04acbb4c.jpg

oh man, instead of the pokemon theme- we should make a bunch of shirts with this (or a similar saying) on it and that could be the barcrawl theme.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
    edited January 2010
    I think this thread has gone far enough. Stay tuned for AtlusParker's official Pokemon themed PAX East Bar Crawl Thread coming this month.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.