As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Canadian Politics: Proroguery Electric Boogaloo (with epic Harper evil picture in OP)

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Any chance we can get Jean Chrétien back? I'm honestly starting to miss that guy.

This.

I was just lamenting this to my mother the other night.

Seriously, we traded a $2 million scandal for *this*?

Imperfect on
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Any chance we can get Jean Chrétien back? I'm honestly starting to miss that guy.
    Aegis wrote: »
    There was a suggestion in the Toronto Star today that Ignatieff should probably try and get Paul Martin back in some kind of financial advisor status, given the fact people do consider him one of the best financial ministers. The argument being that doing such would lend credibility to Ignatieff's economic policies and compete with Harper's new 'focus' on the economy that he seems to think the prorogation was for.

Behold the answer!

Lorek on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »

This.

Psh, the liberals needed to be punished.

by punishing the entire country.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited January 2010
    blkmage wrote: »

Also, I just read that article and holy HELL. He sounds like a Pompous British Ass written by someone out to make the British seem nefarious. (Seriously, doesn't he sound like one of the bad guys in a Jane Austen novel or something?)

Further, either he's dissembling pretty fiercely or he has absolutely no idea about how Canadians actual feel. To claim that the Afghanistan issue is not something that resonates with Canadians is preposterous. My mother is possibly the least politically active creature I know, and she's pissed as hell about it.

Absolutely confounding.

Imperfect on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This.

Psh, the liberals needed to be punished.

by punishing the entire country.

It serves us right for voting Liberal!

hippofant on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    blkmage wrote: »

Jesus fuck...

Also I concur with the sentiment that I'd rather petty corruption than this bullshit.

Aridhol on
  • Kevin R BrownKevin R Brown __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Regarding H1N1 in Alberta: 69 total deaths, and that includes every person that died from causes other than H1N1 but also tested positive for H1N1.

Right; so let's say that just 10 of those 69 people would not have died if Stelmach wasn't delusional about the virus.

Stalmach just fucking killed 10 people with his insane delusions.

And as has already been pointed out, even that damning fact alone doesn't address the larger issue. If the virus had mutated into something much more deadly, Stelmach's inability to keep his decisions bound the real world could've killed millions of people, and rendered vaccines elsewhere ineffective.

Kevin R Brown on
    ' As always when their class interests are at stake, the capitalists can dispense with noble sentiments like the right to free speech or the struggle against tyranny.'
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This.

Only starting?

I mean, he was a corrupt SOB, but I expect nothing less.

But seriously, think of what he did for us:

- Invented the Shawinigan Handshake
    - didn't fuck everything up when everything was doing good on it's own
    - Knife vs Inuit Carving: The Ultimate Canadian Showdown
    - smart enough to appoint a guy smart enough to keep us from getting fucked when the economy blew up
    - made us all feel better cause we elected a guy who didn't look normal
    - kept us out of Iraq ("You need our forces Mr. Bush? I'm sorry, their not home right now. You just missed them!")

And so on. He really was our Clinton. Not perfect in the least, but fuckloads better then what you normally seem to get.

Of course, we then elected Canadian Al Gore for awhile and then let him get stomped by Canadian GWB. I'm waiting for Canadian Obama to show up and save us all.

shryke on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You forgot:

- Continuously generated material for Air Farce.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    and:

ordered police to attack protesters at the APEC conference resulting in my dad (a press photographer) nearly suffocating

Azio on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Azio wrote: »
    Why aren't his poll numbers falling like a brick?
    limeignatieffoc100106.jpg

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You forgot:

He was very poopular with da pubic!

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bad as the proroguing (how do you even spell that) is, my main concern is the Afghan detainees.

Yes come to Canada where we might have committed war crimes! Enjoy the donuts!

Meissnerd on
    edited January 2010
    - tried to legalize pot and gay marriage in one go on his way out the door

hippofant on
    edited January 2010
    hippofant wrote: »

Yeah, but that's a positive. Imagine what it would have done to our immigration numbers!

Imperfect on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah, but that's a positive. Imagine what it would have done to our immigration numbers!

Well, I don't know what gay marriage did, but the pot would have made it look like they were flying.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You forgot:

Really, this.

I'm on the Facebook group against the prorogation of Parliament, and of course there are some Conservative party trolls on there. What really gets me is how it seems to be that they really think Harper is something special, and people are just being "haters" for having a dissenting opinion or making fun of him. I've always thought that was the worst, most dangerous, political trait for some one to have. I'm from a "Red Tory" background, and I never once voted Liberal the whole time Chretien was in power (too young to vote the first time he was elected, though, and in fact I've never voted for a Liberal) and I certainly laughed at the Chretien jokes, but I always had a certain respect for the guy and I have to admit he did a pretty decent job as PM. Harper simply isn't in the same league (though neither was Martin), not by a long shot. What I don't get, though, are the people who not only think he is, but take it all incredibly personally. One of the supporters of the Conservative parachute candidate who ran against Bill Casey after he was booted from caucus described Harper as "an arrow in God's hand". Really? That's something like what a crazy person would say about any politician.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    edited January 2010
    The guy who started the "Canadians for proroguing parliament" facebook group (current membership: 196) wrote a blog post wherein he attempts to liken us to Birthers
    The other similarity here is that a lot of this is driven by re-directed anger. Let’s face it - a lot of the more fanatical “Birther” people really are just angry that one of “those people” is the President and are in search of a somewhat more socially acceptable way of expressing it. Similarly, many on the Canadian left harbour an inchoate and inexpressible rage against the Prime Minister because he is, in their minds, a usurper, since only Liberals are entitled to rule the country. Since most of these people have enough sense to know that publicly declaring that, “the idea of a Prime Minister who isn’t a Liberal is fundamentally un-Canadian” they have instead made a habit of proclaiming that everything he does is somehow a violation of some basic democratic principle, a reflex rooted in their unspoken belief that his mere incumbency in office is some vast disturbance in the force.

What the christ.

Azio on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh my god he doesn't understand anything.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You forgot:

The best air farce show in history was when him and the bald headed reporter dude kicked their imposters off

Robman on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    he is right about “the idea of a Prime Minister who isn’t a Liberal is fundamentally un-Canadian".

assuming he means liberal and not Liberal :P

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited January 2010
    You know what's hilarious?

Our MP bald-facedly lied in the local paper saying "nobody has contacted me saying they care about the proroguing of parliament!"

My parents and at least four of their friends here have emailed his office about it, and sent registered mail.

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    Whoever opens his mail is probably too scared shitless of pissing him off and losing their job to tell him about it

Azio on
    edited January 2010
    Whoever opens his mail is probably too scared shitless of pissing him off and losing their job to tell him about it

No, he's just an abject liar and generally all around awful person

http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/ProfileMP.aspx?Key=128368&SubSubject=1006&Language=E

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    I actually didn't know a website like that existed, props to the G of C for putting out MPs votes like that

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010

I like how the government is like CUT BACK SOCIAL SERVICES TO PAY OFF DEBT

then

HEY LETS SPEND HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS TO HOUSE POT SMOKERS FOR 5-10 YEARS

I hope harper slips and falls and snaps his boner in half

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    gotta starve that beast

Azio on
    edited January 2010
    gotta starve that beast

To what are you referring to? I guess harper's got a pretty big dick, considering Canada is sore already and he isn't finished yet

The money shot is going to be brutal

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »

Our MP bald-facedly lied in the local paper saying "nobody has contacted me saying they care about the proroguing of parliament!"

My parents and at least four of their friends here have emailed his office about it, and sent registered mail.

Dude, CONTACT THE REPORTER. I can't imagine a news reporter who wouldn't jump all over that shit, if you have PROOF that people have contacted the MP about it.

hippofant on
    edited January 2010

Dude, CONTACT THE REPORTER. I can't imagine a news reporter who wouldn't jump all over that shit, if you have PROOF that people have contacted the MP about it.

My parents don't want to become "politicized" as it were, because they're fairly recent transplants. It's maddening because this dick is a real establishment figure to the area, and my parents don't want to become those guys who came from Toronto and are sticking their goddamn noses where they don't belong by god.

Robman on
  • CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I actually didn't know a website like that existed, props to the G of C for putting out MPs votes like that

Because I am a numbers man, I have gone through all 157 recorded divisions of this past session and 86% of the time, the vote went strictly along party lines. However, amongst that 14% where there was some breaking of the ranks, only a grand total of 204 votes deviated from the party line. That's 204 votes out of more than 30,000. Am I alone in finding that completely obscene?

CorporateGoon on
    edited January 2010

Because I am a numbers man, I have gone through all 157 recorded divisions of this past session and 86% of the time, the vote went strictly along party lines. However, amongst that 14% where there was some breaking of the ranks, only a grand total of 204 votes deviated from the party line. That's 204 votes out of more than 30,000. Am I alone in finding that completely obscene?

I bet I know which party broke party lines the most often. I'm also betting there's a big fat "0" for one party in particular.

Robman on
    edited January 2010

I bet I know which party broke party lines the most often. I'm also betting there's a big fat "0" for one party in particular.

I happen to have those numbers as well.
    Liberals 135, NDP 38, Conservatives 30, BQ 1. So no 0's, but damned if the Bloc didn't come close.

CorporateGoon on
    edited January 2010
    30 CPC votes kind of threw me.

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    A few Tories still have principles.... sometimes... I guess.

CorporateGoon on
    edited January 2010
    gotta starve that beast

To what are you referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starve_the_beast

Azio on
    edited January 2010
    A few Tories still have principles.... sometimes... I guess.

That depends, they might have been voting that way because they were more [strike]right wing[/strike] crazy then Harper

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    gotta starve that beast

To what are you referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starve_the_beast

I prefer my answer

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    I wrote:
    Attn: Rt. Hon. Prime Minister Stephen Harper
    CC: Her Excellency the Governor General Michaelle Jean, Hon. Member John Cummins, Hon. Leader of the Opposition Michael Ignatieff

Prime Minister,

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment in your decision to prorogue Parliament for the second time in a single year, and my consternation at your office's attempt to convince Canadians that this is a precedented and necessary procedure.

You and your acolytes have repeatedly claimed that because previous Prime Ministers prorogued Parliament, you have the automatic right to do so whenever it suits. What you have failed to mention, quite conveniently, is that those Prime Ministers prorogued when their respective governments had accomplished their goals for that session of Parliament. Indeed, historically the prorogue has been used in Westminster Parliaments all over the world to signal that the formal work of the legislature has come to a halt. There can be no argument that the 40th Canadian Parliament did not succeed in fulfilling its goals and priorities as outlined in the Throne Speech of 26 January 2009.

In the Speech from the Throne, you promised a swift and complete economic recovery, outclassing all other G8 nations. In the end, Canada's economy recovered more slowly than any other G8 nation -- somehow, even the lumbering USA managed to outperform us. Key indicators such as unemployment and child poverty remain unacceptably high. By no reasonable assessment can this Parliament's business with regards to economic recovery be described as "complete".

Furthermore, the prorogue has resulted in all legislation dying on the table. This includes your vaunted reforms to criminal justice; reforms which you have repeatedly described as critical to protecting the safety of Canadians. Apparently our safety is not as important to you as we have been led to believe.

Your misuse of Parliamentary procedure to escape accountability to the legislature has inflicted grievous damage to the Constitutional order and stretches the limits of the power of the Prime Minister’s Office. It is my hope that you will take this letter, and recent polls showing that over 65 per cent of Canadians are unhappy with your decision, as a warning that Canadians are not at all pleased with your treatment of Canada's democratic institutions.

Sincerely

Next week I plan to show up at my MP's office and yell at his staffers. Write letters and call your MPs you fucks

Azio on
This discussion has been closed.