As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 1-6-10: Parents Are Getting Divorced h/a!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Graphic Violence
JSA All-Stars #2 is still good, and the new character introduced is already likeable, as opposed to a character like Misfit that was very annoying until issues later.

jsaas2a.jpg

jsaas2b.jpg

jsaas2c.jpg

That is Roxy, Rex's new AI for the team, she had some good lines earlier in the book, almost like a teenage Cortana.

I also like how Williams is basically being like Wally Wood and drawing PG's breasts to near ridiculous levels to see what he can get away with. The other art is still solid, as always.

And Suicide Squad #67 is basically Secret Six #16.5:

ss67a.jpg

He's not dead though, which is why you always need to double tap.

TexiKen on

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    End of Siege was my MotW. Ultimate Shroud/Hood reveal in UCSM was kinda expected but still great.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    USM,
    was it Kitty?

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    USM,
    was it Kitty?
    Yeah.

wirehead26 on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I didn't go to the comic shop this week. I was only getting 2 books so I figured I'd just wait a week and then I'd have a bit more of a substantial purchase.

Lucascraft on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not exactly my motw, but the end of Siege had something neat to me.
    Coipel drew motion lines to show Steve's fist shaking in anger, which I either don't see a lot of anymore or just don't notice. But that was a nice touch.

Crimsondude on
    edited January 2010
    Coipel drew motion lines to show Steve's fist shaking in anger, which I either don't see a lot of anymore or just don't notice. But that was a nice touch.

Yeah that was a nice touch. Hopefully Marvel will give more stuff for Coipel to do after Siege if he's up to it.

wirehead26 on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sentry punt

Weaver on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Weird Western Tales:
    1262885885967.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Was Weird Western Tales any good? I have a hard time accepting Didio as a writer. He's made so many poor decisions for DC that I just cannot imagine him having good story ideas.

Lucascraft on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    It was actually really good. Best thing I've seen him write. I just hope he didn't kill someone that he might have.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    JSA's scan's reminds me to ask, what ever happen to the Captain Marvel/Star Girl pairing? Always seemed like a cool pairing to me.

Kyougu on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    JSA's scan's reminds me to ask, what ever happen to the Captain Marvel/Star Girl pairing? Always seemed like a cool pairing to me.

The other JSA members were getting a mite uncomfortable with a full grown man showing a young teenager such attention so there was a talk and since CM couldn't or wouldn't tell who he was he left.

Cade on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cade wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

The other JSA members were getting a mite uncomfortable with a full grown man showing a young teenager such attention so there was a talk and since CM couldn't or wouldn't tell who he was he left.

Was a bummer! Jay chewing Marvel out for seemingly cradle robbing.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I was actually thinking this morning how I didn't like that bit too much. I think my problem is that those motion lines looked really symbolic, and more towards the abstract side of how comics do things, while the character in question was rendered in a much less cartoony, more, I don't know, representative fashion. Like, not photorealistic, but in that direction. The juxtaposition of the two somehow seemed weird to me.

I was trying to figure out how I'd have done it instead, and the only thing I could think of was kinda lame and dumb:
    Have the full-page panel of Steve, but instead of motions lines have a square panel inset into the lower-right corner of the page with a close-up of the fist. The emphasis would be not on shaking-in-anger but rather on clenched-in-anger, which actually works better for me - it's a more silent, cool, subtle anger than someone who's shaking in fury, and that always seems more dangerous to me.

Delduwath on
    edited January 2010
    X-Factor Nation X One Shot:

xfnx.jpg

TexiKen on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    that's an awesome Formless Void they're apparently lounging in

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    The artist, Valentine De Landro, is very hit and miss that issue (more miss), there's a lot of Greg Land type bland images and face tracing.

Rictor's eyes that last panel look like they weren't part of the face the artist traced. He also draws Cyclops with that lame grunge stubble.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010
    i mean, it's just a churning blood and fire red background. are they in hell?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Servo wrote: »

Reminds me of John Byrne's work half the time when he'd have people looking around excited and everything was white with no backgrounds or anything.

Cade on
    edited January 2010
    it's just, like, totally gay.

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I really hate it when artists don't draw backgrounds. Like, they're a pain in the ass sure, and not necessary for a lot of shots, but for an entire page to be nothing but swathes of color behind figures just comes off as lazy.

Munch on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It was small, and barely noticed, but it was nice to see someone just bitch slap the Sentry off panel. Go Thor.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow, this Stoko interview and Orc Stain coming out-- motw. Need to scare up some cash and get to the store tomorrow.

Thanks. Munch. :)

DouglasDanger on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010
    Munch wrote: »

I really hate it when artists don't draw backgrounds. Like, they're a pain in the ass sure, and not necessary for a lot of shots, but for an entire page to be nothing but swathes of color behind figures just comes off as lazy.

It looks like they just filtered the heck out of some photos for those backgrounds

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2010
    anyway, my motw is probably starting to catch up with remander's punisher.

"bad news...bravo team's down".

and of course criminal.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    sounds like Roxy ought to be referring to people as "fleshy ones"

Centipede Damascus on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Suicide Squad was a blast. Would've been even better without Calafiore's mediocre art though.

Superman: World of New Krypton is still good but it would've been amazing if they'd told a standalone story in it. Instead it's just treading water until the Superman event next year, just like all the other Superman books. And they wonder why Superman sales are down...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought Siege was exceptional. The art was absolutely fantastic and I would love to have a blown up image of that panel of Thor about to bring the hurt.

Even though it wasn't new I just read the latest Initiative last night as well. I actually felt bad for ole Taskmaster.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    who were the pink and orange guys in Siege? they seem like some heavy hitters, but i don't recognize them at all.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    who were the pink and orange guys in Siege? they seem like some heavy hitters, but i don't recognize them at all.

I assume you're talking about X-Ray and Vector of the U-Foes.

They're mostly Hulk villains, which makes them sort of obscure since Hulk hasn't fought his rogues in a long while. I knew of them, but I'd never read a story with them in it until now.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yep, that's them.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

xfnx.jpg
    When...when did Surge become a 25 year old white woman?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited January 2010
    Marvel Boy the Uranian was a good read, very meta though. It also has the best logo design of the big two from the past few years. Simple yet works with your eyes.

Basically it takes place when Bob comes back to earth, and after saving people, a man from Timely (Marvel) Comics teaches Bob about being a hero with a secret identity and how superheros aren't popular at the time (compared to pulp and western and war stuff), and to call himself Marvel Boy instead of the Uranian (as people thought it was promotion for a movie, they call him the "Venusian")

Felix Ruiz is also channeling Sienkiewicz on the art, a good book.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010
    Wonder how Marvel Boy will be collected? It's only three issues so something else must be added to it. Those Agents of Atlas vs. X-men/Avengers books might be the answer.

wirehead26 on
    edited January 2010
    Or it would be the best thing to put along with the Atlas backup strips from Incredible Hercules (when that happens).

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010
    coincidentally, i just got the morrison marvel boy mini hardcover for christmas. i haven't read it yet.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2010
    my moment of the week is finally reading 1985

it's really good and another reminder that millar isn't just a BIG BUDGET HACK or whatever

DJ Eebs on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »

xfnx.jpg
    When...when did Surge become a 25 year old white woman?

She got Ultimate Jan'd.

Furu on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    She got bit in half and someone ate her guts?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited January 2010
    She was de-asian'd. De-asianaisse, as it were.

TexiKen on