As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade TV

• ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am back in the colo doing some more work!

Tonight we are going to have to bring down all the PA sites while I upgrade the firmware on our RAID controller.

Älphämönkëy on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When you say CDN nodes do you mean Canadian nodes or some other technospeak? Because (for me) PATV seems to be working fine on Rogers in Toronto, and Shaw Cable in Thunder Bay, if that helps.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    other technospeak

content delivery network

freakish light on
  • HamstaHueyHamstaHuey Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    It's far from perfect (lack of prefetch indicator in the flash player and no RSS-Feed) but with the low-res versions it is bearable to watch an episode.

HamstaHuey on
    edited December 2009
    Based on the feedback from you guys, we reworked the distribution solution.

If it didn't work for you before, give it another shot.

Tech Details:
    • Our old provider was a "streaming" provider, which ideally would have looked at your bandwidth and chosen the optimal stream for you. It didn't work well.
    • We now use a "download + play" model, ala YouTube. Instead of streaming the video to you as needed, your browser downloads the whole episode and plays it. From a user perspective, this means you will be able to pause and have it buffer.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Any timetable on getting an RSS feed?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The player stopped working for me (both in FF, IE & Chrome).

This might be because you are required to connect to one of those advertisement sites before the player reacts. I block a list of those through my router, so I'm screwed. I dunno if this is the case, though. Anyone else incapable of clicking play on an episode?

Aldo on
    edited December 2009
    I just watched the latest one in Chrome with no problems.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    The player stopped working for me (both in FF, IE & Chrome).

This might be because you are required to connect to one of those advertisement sites before the player reacts. I block a list of those through my router, so I'm screwed. I dunno if this is the case, though. Anyone else incapable of clicking play on an episode?

Same problem with me. I can't click on play. I'm using Safari with AdBlock.

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Try turning it off, I guess?

NotASenator on
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Try turning it off, I guess?

Ha! It works. I watched the first four episodes with AdBlock enabled and just assumed that it would still work with the new player. Sometimes, I forget the really obvious stuff. D'oh.

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
    edited December 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Hopefully for this week's installment, but definitely for next week's installment.

I'm still supposedly on vacation :wink:

As far as AdBlock goes, I don't actively work against AdBlock users, but I also can't support it. I think that's fair.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited December 2009
    That is fair, I don't mind adding that ad-site to the OK list again for PA-goodness.

Aldo on
    edited December 2009

Hopefully for this week's installment, but definitely for next week's installment.

As far as AdBlock goes, I don't actively work against AdBlock users, but I also can't support it. I think that's fair.

Coolness. I only ask because I want to set up PlayOn to stream the episodes to my 360, which, consequently, requires an RSS feed.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• HamstaHueyHamstaHuey Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Works like a charm, thank you!

HamstaHuey on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    did you guys put in special iphone support? It works wonderfully.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Three small layout suggestions to do with it.

Firstly there is no direct link, the only way to get to it is when Gabe or Tycho post a link to it. (well there might be a link somewhere else but I can't see it, and that's the problem)

Secondly they layout on the page itself isn't very functional.

The title is recent videos but the first video under thank is not the most recent video. And neither is the last video as that is labeled as coming soon. Further the episodes aren't numbered so it makes it difficult to tell where you up to if you haven't watched for a while. As a suggestion maybe have the most recent episode right at the top separate from the others and then have a group of the "recent but not that recent videos"

Finally when you click on the Blaminations link down the bottom this filters it so it only show's scott's show as it should.

If you click on the penny arcade link it doesn't actually filter anything and takes you back to the main page.

Blake T on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PA TV shows up in one of the four ad boxes on the bottom or the one on top. If you have adblock, you probably can't see them.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited January 2010
    I recommend to everybody with adblock, add PA to your exceptions list. This will help alleviate problems with adblock+PATV.

Plus, you know, PA has decent ads, which also generate revenue. When you adblock their ads, you also block their revenue, which keeps them in business.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I do have PA whitelisted in adblock, but I still have goodleadservices.com blocked with NoScript and I can't enable that on PA-only.

ASimPerson on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2010
    Adblock is the moral equivalent of shoplifting.

Tube on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Coolness. I only ask because I want to set up PlayOn to stream the episodes to my 360, which, consequently, requires an RSS feed.

With an RSS feed it should be possible to plug them into iTunes as well.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh yeah I see it now, years of consumer training has apparently led me to filter out everything that fits into an ad like box.

I now also know of the hadouken shirt.

Blake T on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's the moral equivalent of software piracy. Shoplifting removes an item from the stock whereas adblocking/piracy removes additional revenue but does not injure anyone's ability to make money from other people who are willing to pay.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't get PATV to work for me since I installed Windows 7.

It loads, the first frame and the play button.

But when I click play..nothing. It just sits there.

I've tried leaving it for a while to let it load, compatibility mode, refreshing endlessly, nothing.

Buttcleft on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    Oh yeah I see it now, years of consumer training has apparently led me to filter out everything that fits into an ad like box..

Yeah, that's the other issue - even if you do see the boxes they look like ads.

ASimPerson on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's the equivalent of "no solicitation," "Beware of Dog," and "Trespassers will be shot" signs combined with a chain-link fence around your yard that's wired.

Henroid on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

It's the equivalent of "no solicitation," "Beware of Dog," and "Trespassers will be shot" signs combined with a chain-link fence around your yard that's wired.

Only your yard is floating through a super market...
    Ok this analogy has been tortured enough.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Based on the feedback from you guys, we reworked the distribution solution.

If it didn't work for you before, give it another shot.

Tech Details:
    • Our old provider was a "streaming" provider, which ideally would have looked at your bandwidth and chosen the optimal stream for you. It didn't work well.
    • We now use a "download + play" model, ala YouTube. Instead of streaming the video to you as needed, your browser downloads the whole episode and plays it. From a user perspective, this means you will be able to pause and have it buffer.

i know i'm a couple of weeks late response-wise, but thank you so much for this

it was so annoying trying to go back to bits i liked, and waiting another minute before it loaded again

so much easier now; if i just leave it loading in a background tab then I can come back to it when it is fully loaded and pretend that my internet can load stuff at adequate speeds

Fletcher on
    edited January 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I've tried leaving it for a while to let it load, compatibility mode, refreshing endlessly, nothing.

Can you shoot an email to patv@penny-arcade.com and I'll take care of you "offline"

When you email me, if you could include as much information about your os and browser as possible. Also, can you give me the flash information on this page

Thanks!

Älphämönkëy on
    edited January 2010
    Three small layout suggestions to do with it.

Firstly there is no direct link, the only way to get to it is when Gabe or Tycho post a link to it. (well there might be a link somewhere else but I can't see it, and that's the problem)
    Fixed! Kiko minted this design right before Christmas, but I was out of town for the holidays and didn't get a chance to implement it until today.
    Which page?
    The title is recent videos but the first video under thank is not the most recent video. And neither is the last video as that is labeled as coming soon. Further the episodes aren't numbered so it makes it difficult to tell where you up to if you haven't watched for a while. As a suggestion maybe have the most recent episode right at the top separate from the others and then have a group of the "recent but not that recent videos"
    I'll look into it.
    Finally when you click on the Blaminations link down the bottom this filters it so it only show's scott's show as it should.

If you click on the penny arcade link it doesn't actually filter anything and takes you back to the main page.
    This was a bug. I had an old redirect in place that was actually masking the correct page. Fixed!

Älphämönkëy on
    edited January 2010
    Fletcher wrote: »
    i know i'm a couple of weeks late response-wise, but thank you so much for this

it was so annoying trying to go back to bits i liked, and waiting another minute before it loaded again

so much easier now; if i just leave it loading in a background tab then I can come back to it when it is fully loaded and pretend that my internet can load stuff at adequate speeds

You are welcome. Enjoy the show :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
    edited January 2010

There is a lot of "biddyness" involved when we introduce new distribution channels, but I can assure you that I will publish and MRSS/RSS/whatever feed as soon as I get the green light. In the short term, the RSS feeds will alert you when a new episode is available ala the comics.

Älphämönkëy on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fixed! Kiko minted this design right before Christmas, but I was out of town for the holidays and didn't get a chance to implement it until today.
    Oooh, me likey. I see that's fixed the bug of not being able to see exactly what those four icons on the top-right were. :D

Cyvros on
    edited January 2010
    Which page?
    I'll look into it.

The penny-arcade tv page, which is then addressed in this other paragraph.

Blake T on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Can you shoot an email to patv@penny-arcade.com and I'll take care of you "offline"

When you email me, if you could include as much information about your os and browser as possible. Also, can you give me the flash information on this page

Thanks!

I figured it out, It was something in my HOSTS file blocking the video.

edit

Indieclick being in my hosts file was the exact cause, removing optimize.indieclick.com now lets the video play.

Buttcleft on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i don't know whether it's just me

but the bar on the timeline that indicates how much is preloaded is so close in colour to the timeline itself that it is practically invisible

like, the timeline bar is grey, and the preloading bar is so very slightly different that it took me a couple of episodes to even realise it was there

maybe if it were the same yellow as other parts of the controls?

Fletcher on
    edited January 2010
    It is yellow.
    PATVplayer.jpg

Arikado on
    edited January 2010
    No, it colours yellow t indicate what has been played already. He's talking about the colour to indicate what parts are pre-loaded.

Aldo on
    edited January 2010
    Oooh...

Arikado on