As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Grand Theft Auto IV - How Drive Car Good? (Parts 61/62 - Finished 9/08)

AdusAdus Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
Welcome to Let's Play

grand-theft-auto-4-1.png

Wikipedia go!

Grand Theft Auto IV (commonly abbreviated as GTA 4 or GTA IV) is a sandbox-style action-adventure video game developed by Rockstar North, and released for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in Oceania, Europe, and North America on 29 April 2008, and in Japan on 30 October 2008. A Windows version of the game was released in North America on 2 December 2008 and in Europe on 3 December. It is the sixth 3D game in the Grand Theft Auto series.

The game is set in a redesigned rendition of Liberty City, a fictional city based heavily on modern day New York City. It follows Niko Bellic, a war veteran from an unspecified country in Eastern Europe. He comes to the United States in search of the American Dream, but quickly becomes entangled in a world of gangs, crime, and corruption. Like other games in the series, GTA IV is composed of elements from driving games and third-person shooters, and features "open-world" gameplay that gives players more control over their playing experience. It is the first console game in the series to feature an online multiplayer mode.

Et cetera...

A lot of people have played this game, especially lately due to the Steam sale. That's where I bought it as well. However I figured it was time for another LP and sandbox games are usually the best choice. After all, each gameplay experience is different, so even if you've played the game, you might still enjoy watching.

The difference between this and my other LPs is that the video and commentary are recorded separately in order to cater to the style of multiple commentators. Yes, that's right, you won't have to listen to me struggle to commentate by myself anymore. There will be guests!

So far, the commentary goes full time, meaning I have left it in tact, even over cutscenes. So while I'm not ignoring the story or skipping any cutscenes, if you're really interested in something said in the cutscenes, you'll have to ignore our voices, read the subtitles, or view the commentary-free versions.

This is my first time through this game, so don't expect an expert run. In fact, expect me to fail. Obviously since videos are completed before commentary, I'll edit out failures if there are too many, but unlike my Saints Row 2 LP, there will be only minor editing. The videos will be uploaded to Viddler and Blip.tv this time, which does not encode HQ as well as Youtube. However I was tired of the 11 minute time limit, so Viddler and Blip it is. With Blip, you can download the videos to watch them in their higher quality. Not to mention I'm sick of dealing with Youtube's copyright nagging when it comes to music that might be in the videos.

Videos are now mirrored on Blip.tv as well. It seems to be better quality overall, in my opinion.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN ASKED FREQUENTLY:

You don't seem to be very good at driving. Have you played this before?
- This is my first time through, so yeah, some dumb mistakes or lack of understanding of certain mechanics will happen.

Are you going to 100% the game?
- No, namely because going around shooting all 200 pigeons is not something I care about doing, or at least recording and trying to comment on.

The music you added is cool. What band/song is it?
- Feel free to ask. I'll be happy to clarify any song played in the videos. You can also check my last.fm link in my signature if you feel like investigating other bands like it.

The music you added sucks!
- My gameplay, my editing, my effort, my rules. Therefore, my music.

Can you add (insert band here) to your radio?
- No.

This is really similar to the LP at Something Awful. Are you ripping them off?
- It's similar because it's an entertaining formula. Sandbox games with multiple commentators are a personal favorite of mine. It's not like it's copyrighted by anyone. It's more of an homage if anything else. I quite enjoy the SA GTA LPs and I recommend them to you as well. Besides, this is a blind run and I did not watch more than the first few videos of the SA one before doing this, so any similarities in how we play or jokes made are coincidental.

Can I be in the commentary?
No, because it is over.

Part 1 - Dear Mother, let me tell you about the titties in America... [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 2 - Obey The Hat [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 3 - Big Trouble with Little Jacob [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 4 - Why motorcycles do not belong in the park [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 5 - Was I not supposed to kill that guy? [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 6 - Niko Vs. Ladders [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 7 - Niko Vs. The Rain [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 8 - Niko the Good Samaritan [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 9 - Niko Vs. Explosives!? What the Fuck!? [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 10 - Niko Vs. Come-From-Behind-Man [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 11 - The video in which everything happens, yet nothing happens. [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 12 - Vegetable Genitalia [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 13 - The Video In Which Helloween Is So British [Blip.tv Mirror]
Part 14 - The Video In Which The Word "Man" Is Said 482 Times. [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 15 - The Worst Show On Earth [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 16 -The Video In Which We Are Troubled By Hot Dogs, Man-Faced Goats, And The Play Button. [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 17 - Fappo? [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 18 - Next Generation AI [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 19 - The Great Escape [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 20 - MEESTER MAN [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 21 - Niko Vs. Grenades [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 22 - Burger Brawl [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 23 - Been Carjacked And Shot In The Kneecaps? Call The Law Offices of Bellic & Bellic. [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 24 - Too Many Guns On The Dance Floor [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 25 - Owenashi Vs. Spaniards [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 26 - Music: Insurrection by Gamma Ray... again [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 27 - Niko Vs. Cardboard Box [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 28 - The Worst Video [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 29 - Little Jacob Is A Lickle Hungry [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 30 - Mediocrity, Chaos, And One Classy Garage [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 31 - Niko Has The Moves [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 32 - The Video That Is Also 33 [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 34 - Grand Theft Quiddich [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 35 - Money Money Money Money (Money) [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 36 - Getting High With Little Jacob [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 37 - White Trash [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 38 - Johnny Football [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 39 - Grand Theft Auto Theater [Blip.tv] [Viddler] - Bad fanfiction reading by just me. Watch at your own risk.
Part 40 - Manboobs Don't Count [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 41 - Ghost Theft Auto [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 42 - Bucky Sligo and the Mystery of the Chocolate Balls [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Bonus - A Day In The Life of Niko Bellic [Viddler] - No commentary.
Part 43 - An Italian Day [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 44 - SUV Sandwich [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 45 - Packie Vs. Cabbie [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 46 - Moon Shoes [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 47 - Hang in there, Niko! [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 48 - Romantic Luigi [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 49 - Flight of the Bikers [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 50 - Balls [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 51 - Chubby Chasin' [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 52 - Driving Ms. Gracie [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 53 - Doctor Bellic and the Cab of Mystery [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 54 - Niko likes fast cars, but fast cars do not like Niko. [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 55 - Diamonds Aren't Forever [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 56 - Hot Fuzz [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 57 - The Best of Times [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 58 - Niko, Solid Snake You Are Not [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 59 - Dealing with Darko [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 60 - The Great Escape [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 61 - Tommy Vercetti Keeps Strange Company [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Part 62 - The End [Blip.tv] [Viddler]
Credits [Viddler] (No Commentary)
Niko's Fun Time Super Happy Hour [Viddler] (Bonus 2, no commentary)

If you wish to watch any of the videos without commentary for some reason (like the fanfiction episodes perhaps), you can go to this account: http://www.viddler.com/explore/Adus/videos/

Other GTAIV fun by people other than me:

288155490_FPRZY-L-2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Ri6dhsnoU

Adus on

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had a lot of fun doing this with you guys and I hope everyone likes what we did.

Here's to some more!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Enjoyed it and laughed a few more times than I was expecting. Especially whoever it is that does the accent.

Though it does remind me of how boring the first few hours of GTA IV is, and now I don't want to play it even though I picked it up during the sale.

Sanders on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sanders wrote: »
    Enjoyed it and laughed a few more times than I was expecting. Especially whoever it is that does the accent.

Though it does remind me of how boring the first few hours of GTA IV is, and now I don't want to play it even though I picked it up during the sale.

Well yeah, it basically makes a big spectacle of coming to America (on a steam boat, by the way. When is this game supposed to take place?) and then it throws you into what is essentially...errands. Drive your cousin around. Get a menial job. Pick up his dry cleaning/girlfriend.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This was very enjoyable! I expected as much, though. My only complaint was that the video just kind of cuts instead of having like a sign-off or something. But otherwise, I really dug it.

I'm interested in seeing later sets as I can't wait to see who all gets involved, eventually. This should be a great LP, so you know I'll be watching.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I apologize, but it's probably gonna be like that for most videos. We recorded commentary for more than just one video, but I don't want to just post everything at once. Mainly because I don't feel like processing them all tonight. I try to at least stop at the end of missions and not in the middle, though that'll happen too. I don't want to make the videos too short but Viddler also has a 500mb upload limit, which limits the videos to roughly 23 minutes when uploaded in a somewhat decent quality.

Adus on
    edited January 2010
    Ahh. That's cool now that I know. It's not a big issue since the video doesn't end in mid-sentence or something. It was just a little thing that irked me.

Darth_Mogs on
  • irnirn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Yeah I apologize, but it's probably gonna be like that for most videos. We recorded commentary for more than just one video, but I don't want to just post everything at once. Mainly because I don't feel like processing them all tonight. I try to at least stop at the end of missions and not in the middle, though that'll happen too. I don't want to make the videos too short but Viddler also has a 500mb upload limit, which limits the videos to roughly 23 minutes when uploaded in a somewhat decent quality.

Dude, you're OK. It reminds me of the quick outs that Freeman's mind has. Its cool.

irn on
    cashwore1.jpg
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    288155490_FPRZY-L-2.jpg

Sent ya a PM asking to guest, hopefully my schedule isn't too shitty to attempt this. In case you want a frame of reference, I have 100% the game on the 360 and still bought it on steam during the holiday sale.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So awesome guys.

I hate the fact that I missed out on the first recording.

edit: Then again, i'd be laughing the entire time... I'm not sure how helpful that would have been.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited January 2010
    I'll probably limit it to 3 guests and myself as to not get too much of people talking over each other, so hopefully no one takes it personally if I can't include them. I'd also like to get a couple people in that asked when I originally posted my plans for the thread back in the LP archive thread, so just getting that out there.

Also thanks for reminding me about that comic. That now has its rightful place in the OP, along with one of my favorite GTA4 videos.

Adus on
    edited January 2010
    Uh, if I'm one of those people, and I can figure out a way to speak into a mic without giggling/breathing too hard, I'd think Fridays work for me as well.

I should really only count as a half commentator, so feel free to bring in another shy person to make up for my lack of wit.

I post this here because my inbox is full/almost full.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    klyka your name isn't tim is it?

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Awesome start. Does having a hostage in the car have any effect on police chases out of interest?

What are you actually using to record, it's surprisingly clear?

Sonar, Klyka has the same real name as me, which is not Tim. And is misspelt in his case, because Germans love their consonants too much.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited January 2010
    I don't think having a hostage really does anything other than add entertainment value, unlike Saints Row 2 where there was a minigame for it.

I record with Fraps, touch up the audio with Audacity and combine/publish with Windows Movie Maker.

Adus on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah well, it's good for commentary anyway.

Sorry, I should've been more clear; what are you using for recording the commentary?

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited January 2010
    Oops, the one thing I forgot to mention... A program called CallGraph for Skype. We may also be just be lucky that all our mics seem to be of adequate quality.

Adus on
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brake then turn, Adus.

Brake then turn.

Also, steal every rusted-out beater car you can, please.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
    edited January 2010
    Which is surprising for me because my mic usually hisses,cusses and spits like a mad cat lady.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited January 2010
    ebotastic wrote: »
    Brake then turn, Adus.

Brake then turn.

Also, steal every rusted-out beater car you can, please.

I guess that's why people complained about car physics in GTA4? Adus was fishtailing like a mofo.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    everybody complained because a handbrake turn at 70mph would not neatly angle you round 90 degrees anymore

Nuzak on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah... those people had never driven a car before... It's still not that realisitc though.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited January 2010
    I've played Vice City lawfully, stopping for signals and not cutting people off.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010
    I apologize in advance for the "This is totally live" 'joke'.

Part 2 - Obey The Hat - Featuring Klyka and Henroid.

Awesome art by yours truly.

Adus on
    edited January 2010
    Oh man. Fantastic second set. The story/art at the end was great.

Bowling is pretty much the bane of my existence in this game, though. I will never understand how people manage to get the Turkey Achievement/Trophy. Especially after sinking all the time into it that I did. It just doesn't want to work.

Plenty of great moments this set. Probably a bit early to say after just seeing two sets, but I'm really liking how it's turning out.

Darth_Mogs on
    edited January 2010
    haha,Oh Adus, your illustrations were spot on. She even was a blonde.

:^:

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    very nice art, and great story klyka

Joolander on
    edited January 2010
    So... did you see her again?

Nappuccino on

edited January 2010
    No, I did not. After she reacted like that,I really didn't want to anyway.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love my lame commentary, how embarrassing.

Henroid on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think from now on, when it comes to games I haven't played before, I'm going to watch videos in advance before doing commentary. I had to divide my attention to Skype and the stuff going on in the game.

Henroid on
    edited January 2010
    I really don't think that's a good idea. Since the reactions aren't genuine from me having recorded them, I sort of need that from the other people.

After all, I knew what was going to happen and it didn't make me any funnier.

Adus on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Klyka AND Adus in one Let's Play? Oh you guys and your late Christmas presents. And Henroid just makes it that extra present hiding at the back.

I'mma stop this analogy now. Having a great laugh watching it guys, keep up the great work. :^:

Dunxco on
    edited January 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    I really don't think that's a good idea. Since the reactions aren't genuine from me having recorded them, I sort of need that from the other people.

After all, I knew what was going to happen and it didn't make me any funnier.

We'll experiment for one video for another recording session, how about that? A compromise!

Henroid on
    edited January 2010
    Oh man, I forgot about Klyka's story at the end of the second video, hahahaha

Henroid on
    edited January 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    No, I did not. After she reacted like that,I really didn't want to anyway.

Hmmm fair point.

Nappuccino on

edited January 2010
    She would be blonde, wouldn't she.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010
    Aren't all Germans?

Nappuccino on

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Only the superior ones.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited January 2010
    She would be blonde, wouldn't she.

Fun fact: On thursday my favourite barkeeper told me that "All blonde woman are the same and they all suck. You can go out with a blonde,you can have sex with a blonde but NEVER EVER get together with a blonde."

I agreed.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited January 2010
    While looking in the mirror, wistfully.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png