As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WebComics - Because we're too cheap and too lazy for the real thing

• VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SchlockMercenary has never grabbed me... same with Dr McNinja. I've tried them a few times, and just haven't been able to keep interested.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The early Dr. McNinja strips were really rough, both in art and humor. The most recent one, where Doc had kind of a Peter Parker/symbiote connection going on with a magical, sentient motorcycle, which was actually a unicorn, was pretty good.

I think it's really aimed at anyone that enjoys humor based in absurdism or pop culture. Deadpool fans basically.

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Munch post your comics in this thread that you're going to work on.

TexiKen on
    edited December 2009
    Eh, until I actually do stuff, I'd just as soon keep it in the Comic Creators thread. Uh, I did a picture of Phineas Rage, the dude I made for one of the GV contests, yesterday. I managed to completely fuck up his right glove and domino mask/eyes while inking it. Oh well.

I have this terrible anxiety about creating comics. Basically, I don't want to start something before I feel like I'm ready to commit to it, and do it well, so I sit around filling up sketchbooks just trying to improve basic things like perspective, anatomy, and shading. But I'm really trying to get past that, because holy shit I'm so tired of doing terrible, unfulfilling things with my time.

Munch on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    The early Dr. McNinja strips were really rough, both in art and humor. The most recent one, where Doc had kind of a Peter Parker/symbiote connection going on with a magical, sentient motorcycle, which was actually a unicorn, was pretty good.

I think it's really aimed at anyone that enjoys humor based in absurdism or pop culture. Deadpool fans basically.
    2009-12-09-17p4.jpg

One of the more recent strips. Sums things up pretty well, I think.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thank you Schlock Mercenary to introducing me to the Chupaqueso.

It is the ultimate cheese-gasm experience...

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I keep seeing references to some sort of "Web Comics Alliance", or some sort of site which promotes Web Comics. They did things such as trade writers/artists around once or twice a year. Unfortunately, I'm reading this info from web comics from several years ago, and the links they point me to are currently dead.

Does this thing still exist, and if so, where would I find it?

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • GallowglassGallowglass Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Wayfarer's Moon hasn't updated for a couple months now and I've stoped reading Megatokyo awhile back

Gallowglass on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2010
    MSPaintAdventures is turning into this big, amazing thing, and everyone here should at least check out Problem Sleuth. Be warned, it's a monster of a story, and it'll take some time to get through. Homestuck is the new thing on the site, and while it takes a bit to really kick into gear, it's absolutely firing on all cylinders now.

Abominable Charles Christopher is more traditional, but it's got great writing and fantastic art. It also only updates once a week, which kind of sucks, but the quality hasn't really wavered since the start.

Achewood is also amazing. The characters are incredibly well defined, and some of the storylines, like the Great Outdoor Fight or the Badass Games, are incredible. It's been on a bit of a downturn lately, but the archive has some of the best webcomics available. If nothing else, there's a section in the archives where you can sort them by user ratings, and most of the strips at the top work as standalone pieces.

I'll check out Overcompensating every so often, but Jeffrey Rowland's best stuff is probably Wigu, which is on the Overcompensating site as well. Overcompensating is more like something like Penny Arcade, where there are characters that are always in the center of the action, but there's no real continuity in place. Wigu's more of an ongoing thing, although it's started and stopped a few times, so the continuity's a bit out of whack. It's still really charming, though.

Outside of those, Hark! A Vagrant! is really good, and so is Nedroid. Outside of those, there's really nothing off the top of my head that I really follow.

Xkcd peaked a long time ago, and now it's basically a parody of itself. Shortpacked can't decide if it wants to be a boring story comic, or a comic with bad pop culture jokes. Questionable Content isn't terrible, but it's incredibly bland most of the time. PvP isn't terrible, and Kurtz can pull out a great joke every so often, but with a daily upload schedule, stuff's going to be a little watered down overall, I think.

Clearly the worst webcomic is Ctrl+Alt+Del, and I don't think I need to explain myself, either.

DJ Eebs on
    edited January 2010
    Some greatest hits:

Abominable Charles Christopher

2008-01-30.jpg

Overcompensating

party.png

Achewood

uua5cqxV5.gif
    alt text: Roast Beef saw through that lie basically immediately

uua6Ptg4Q.gif
    alt text: Poor kids love playing this game at the library

Hark! A Vagrant

teslafinal.png

Nedroid

2009-05-12-beartato-tothetheater.gif

DJ Eebs on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    gonna go ahead and also say that mspaint adventures is fucking fantastic

whenever the SE++ webcomics thread is accidentally on topic MSPA tends to be the one we talk about

TheySlashThem on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010
    Some greatest hits:

2008-01-30.jpg

I really need to read this strip someday

Garlic Bread on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010
    Let's Be Friends Again is pretty good whenever I remember to check it. It's mostly comic-book jokes but sometimes there are more pop-culture ones
    rroavt.jpg

555ht4.jpg

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Some greatest hits:

2008-01-30.jpg

the nice thing about it is that you can get through the entire archive in a pretty timely fashion, since he only updates once a week

DJ Eebs on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    the dude's website has a pull quote from matt fraction, so i guess it can't be all bad

edit- to: keith

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    the guy's hands in that last panel are really distracting me

why is he pointing arrrrrrrrrgh

that said it seems like pretty solid art besides that!

DJ Eebs on
    edited January 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Some greatest hits:

2008-01-30.jpg

the nice thing about it is that you can get through the entire archive in a pretty timely fashion, since he only updates once a week

i know you've told me like a hundred times

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2010
    the guy's hands in that last panel are really distracting me

why is he pointing arrrrrrrrrgh

that said it seems like pretty solid art besides that!

the art is really inconsistent

It's never good but usually serviceable. Sometimes it's awful, though

Garlic Bread on
    edited January 2010
    5xpflh.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ahahahahaaaaa

TheySlashThem on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MSPA is so damn good lately. Homestuck was a little slow starting but it's just been

Non-stop fantastic for a while now. Lil' Jade is the most adorable thing. It's a pity so few webcomics "get" absurdist humor as well as MSPA.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    uua5cqxV5.gif
    alt text: Roast Beef saw through that lie basically immediately

This is the best Achewood to show to a new reader.

Also PVP is Garfield with video games and LICD is Tucker Max for US GAMERS.

EDIT: speaking of Garfield

garfieldfinal.png

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited January 2010
    uua8j0171.gif

slow-moving target

DJ Eebs on
    edited January 2010
    x1c9yo.gif
    Ahh, Achewood.

Munch on
    edited January 2010
    Aww what's wrong with Comic Sans?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Virral wrote: »

But seriously, it is overused and everyone is sick of it by now. EVERYONE.

Yes, even you.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ha, yes :^:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A sample of MSpaint for the unconvinced
    ps166.gif

NeoToma on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was a fan of the return of the Great Moments in Cinema series recently Achewood.

autaux?b=M%5ea11f09b8576e606bcb5038dfdb92fb821&u=http%3A%2F%2Fachewood.com%2Fcomic.php%3Fdate%3D01072010

ManetherenWolf on
    edited January 2010
    While I generally dislike gimmicky junk in webcomics, I have to admit that this is pretty cool. While an entire comic made in that style would be overkill, I could see the technique adding emphasis to important moments or scenes when used sparingly.

Munch on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Virral wrote: »

But seriously, it is overused and everyone is sick of it by now. EVERYONE.

Yes, even you.

http://bancomicsans.com/home.html

Well, maybe that site takes it too seriously, but at the heart of it, the general consensus is that it is overused and even before that, ugly.

Lux on
    edited January 2010
    I love Comic Sans, and I'm not afraid to admit it. Maybe I should move this over to the Secret Shame thread?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hear if you write Adam Warlock's name in the dark in comic sans, the Magus appears and drowns you in bad taste

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited January 2010
    Sounds hot!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited January 2010
    EDIT: speaking of Garfield

garfieldfinal.png

oh my goodness i laughed

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    That makes more sense after googling...

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited January 2010
    i probably would have too, were i not a total musical theater wonk

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Now I have to google what musical theatre could possibly have to do with that topic!

Curse youuuuuuu!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Wow, a lot of people have tried to kill Presidents. I'm not sure if we've even had one attempt on a Prime Minister (although I'm sure a lot of people have dreamed about it!!)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg