As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EQ] Free EverQuest Classic Server - It's Good To Be Back

The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
UPDATE: Finally made a guild. We are <Exquisite>. Send a /tell to Dyne, Celestialsky, Indasha, Ogrebob, or Manafee to be added.

www.project1999.org

Oh shit, I haven't made one of these game on threads since Vanguard!

everquest-logo.gif

Ah, EverQuest. One of the major MMORPGs back in the day that spawned a metric shit ton of clones of this game. No matter what MMO I've played over the years, no other game has ever captured and drawn me in quite like EverQuest did. It was a large, sprawling high fantasy world rich with design and imagination, where upon entering the world for the first time, it told you to GO FUCK YOURSELF, ONLY FAGGOT PUSSIES NEED TUTORIALS, YOU WILL GET LOST AND DIE AND LIKE IT. And I loved it!

It was a very group-centric game that required you to group with other people and socialize, and it also required you to not suck shit at the game, as the penalty for death was an XP loss and a corpse run, which, depending on where you were bound, could take quite a lot of time to get back to. Even finding your corpse was a daunting task at times! And I loved it!

Unfortunately, EverQuest is a shadow of its former self these days, and a lot of the "soul" the game had for me in its early days has been long dried up to try to cater to people that have lived an easier life in other high profile online games, including EverQuest's very own sequel. For a long time, thousands of people have asked Sony to release a 'classic' server (with the majority of said people wanting no expansions outside of Scars of Velious), but they have all been ignored. So a few groups of folks have decided to take matters into their own hands, and make their own private servers, similar to what's going on with Ultima Online.

Project 1999 is one of those groups. They have a classic server that launched a few months ago. And I love it!

Project 1999 is an attempt to re-create the glory days of the original EverQuest launch, and is a progression server that will go up only as high as Velious. They have done a very admirable job of remaking the original EverQuest experience as accurately as possible with a newer client. And as long as you have a specific type of EverQuest client, it is completely and totally free. And I would love for you all to join me on here!

Q&A:

Q: So... when you say 'Classic EverQuest', just how classic are we talkin' here?
A: Once again, as classic as possible with a newer EverQuest client. Not everything is 100% accurate, but it feels like the old EQ, with a few additional bells and whistles added in.

Q: So what's different?
A: Well, like I mentioned, this is a newer EQ client than was originally launched in '99, so some things that are built in the client have no choice but to be on the server. A few of the monster graphics (skeletons and wolves only that I've seen) have been upgraded, and they're using the UI that was introduced with Shadows of Luclin, which I like. Built-in maps are in for only the newbie zones, and the game overall looks very sharp, since all of the zones are the higher resolution versions also introduced with Luclin. But that's about it, aside from a few gameplay things. Oh, and the boats don't work, but that is a client issue, and nothing the server can do about it.

Q: So how many people play on this server?
A: A LOT. And it's growing every single week, and getting you on board is going to make it even bigger! There are generally about 250+ people online after 5PM-6PM Eastern, with a lot of lower-level players, and the server usually peaks on the weekends in the high 300s. Bear in mind that dual-boxing is not allowed, so when the server says there's 250 people online, there's literally 250 people online. Once again, every week, the player base grows and grows, and there is never any trouble getting a group going, especially because I'm on every fucking day, and am down for anything.

Q: How is the community?
A: Amazing, from what I've seen. It reminds me a lot of old EQ: you have a lot of the extremely friendly helpful folks who are more than happy to answer your questions, find your corpse, or kip you a bit of platinum if you need it, and you also have the elite crowd being... well... the elite crowd, keeping things interesting. No complaints at all here, and there's always a lot of conversations going on.

Q: What do I need to get on this shit?
A: You need a copy of EverQuest Titanium, which you can find on eBay or other online stores, or other means. Then simply head over to www.project1999.org, follow the setup guide, and you should be completely good to go. It's a relatively painless process.

Races (taken from Allakhazam.com):
Barbarians

Size - Large
Alignment: Good
Innate Abilities: slam, +10 Cold resist, -5% Experience Penalty
Starting city: Halas
Available classes: rogue, shaman, warrior

Dark Elves

Size - Medium
Alignment: Evil
Innate Abilities: Hide and Ultravision
Starting city: Neriak
Available classes: Cleric, enchanter, magician, necromancer, rogue, shadow knight, warrior, wizard

Dwarves

Size - Small
Innate Abilities: Infravision
Starting city: Kaladim
Available classes: cleric, paladin, rogue, warrior

Erudites

Size - Medium
Alignment: Neutral
Innate Abilities: Slightly higher innate SV Magic
Starting cities: Erudin or Paineel (depending on class)
Available classes: Cleric, enchanter, magician, necromancer, paladin, shadow knight, wizard

Gnomes

Size - Small
Innate Abilities: Tinkering
Starting city: Ak'Anon
Available classes: Cleric, enchanter, magician, necromancer, rogue, shadow knight, warrior, wizard

Half-Elves

Size: Medium
Starting city: Qeynos, Freeport, or Kelethin (depending on class and deity)
Available classes: Bard, druid, paladin, ranger, rogue, warrior

Halflings

Size: Small
Innate Abilities: Infravision; Hide (capped at 50); Sneak (capped at 50); 5% experience bonus; +5 Poison and Disease Resist
Starting city: Rivervale
Available classes: Druid, cleric, ranger, rogue, warrior

High Elves

Starting city: Felwithe
Available classes: Cleric, enchanter, magician, paladin, wizard

Humans

Innate Abilities: none
Starting city: Qeynos or Freeport (depending on class and diety)
Available classes: Bard, cleric, druid, enchanter, magician, monk, necromancer, paladin, ranger, rogue, shadow knight, warrior, wizard

Ogres

Size: Large
Innate Abilities: slam; can not be stunned from the Front (unique ability!); eats faster than other races; -20% Experience Penalty
Starting city: Oggok
Available classes: shadow knight, shaman, warrior

Trolls

Size: Large
Innate Abilities: slam; higher H.P. regeneration (scales with level); Infravision; eats faster than other races; -20 Fire resist; -20% Experience Penalty
Starting city: Grobb
Available classes: shadow knight, shaman, warrior

Wood Elves

Size: Small
Innate Abilities: Infravision; Hide (skill 50); Forage (skill 50)
Starting city: Kelethin
Available classes: Bard, druid, ranger, rogue, warrior

Classes
Bard - The ultimate hybrid class with a myriad of abilities that you can "twist" to create a lot of powerful effects in an out of combat. -40% Experience Penalty
Cleric - Best healers in the game, they also have a penchant for smiting undead.
Druid - Good healers, great buffs, decent damaging spells, and one of the few classes that you can effectively solo.
Enchanter - Spellcasters specializing in crowd control and illusions, on top of some delicious mana regeneration spells. -10% Experience Penalty
Magician - I would say the best pet spellcaster class in the game, with some nice direct damage spells as well. -10% Experience Penalty
Monk - DPS class that can also pull mobs like it's nobody's business. -20% Experience Penalty
Necromancer - Necrophiliacs. -10% Experience Penalty
Paladin - A warrior/cleric hybrid that makes an excellent tank, and can backup heal in a pinch. -40% Experience Penalty
Ranger - The butt of many jokes, rangers still make good offtanks and can deal some decent damage in combat. A hybrid of warrior/druid. -40% Experience Penalty
Rogue - Does it from behind. +9% Experience Bonus
Shadow Knight - Warrior/Necromancer hybrid. Great tanks that deal damage, and they get a skeleton pet like a necromancer. -40% Experience Penalty
Shaman - Good healers, good slowers, good damage, good buffs, good class.
Warrior - The main tanks of EverQuest, and fantastic ones at that. +10% Experience Bonus
Wizard - NUUUUUUUKES! -10% Experience Penalty

I give up in keeping the roster in order, since new people join practically every day!

Friends currently on EverQuest:

[22 Cleric] Dyne (High Elf) ZONE: freportw
[22 Druid] Celestialsky (Wood Elf) ZONE: gfaydark
[20 Enchanter] Manafee (High Elf) ZONE: gfaydark
[20 Warrior] Ogrebob (Ogre) ZONE: gfaydark
[18 Warrior] Drut (Troll) ZONE: uguk
[18 Monk] Duumas (Human) ZONE: gfaydark
[18 Wizard] Gandite (High Elf) ZONE: gfaydark
[18 Rogue] Bloodshed (Human) ZONE: freportw
[11 Druid] Velleriand (Wood Elf) ZONE: gfaydark
[18 Shaman] Tsaroth (Ogre) ZONE: feerrott
[8 Magician] Magna (High Elf) ZONE: gfaydark
[8 Necromancer] Feldorn (Dark Elf) ZONE: freportw
[7 Shaman] Orange (Ogre) ZONE: feerrott
[5 Cleric] Adrianna (Dark Elf) ZONE: nektulos
[3 Monk] Quinn (Human) ZONE: freportw
[3 Paladin] Darmak (High Elf) ZONE: gfaydark
[2 Bard] Wassup (Wood Elf) ZONE: gfaydark
[2 Rogue] Karrmer (Halfling) ZONE: misty
[1 Paladin] Mestepula (Human) ZONE: freportw
[1 Druid] Mandarkin (Halflnig) ZONE: freportw
[1 Druid] Merlwood (Wood Elf) ZONE: gfaydark
[1 Shaman] Hrothgar (Barbarian) ZONE: halas
[ANONYMOUS] Kaneth
[ANONYMOUS] Makaritz
[ANONYMOUS] Eepa
[ANONYMOUS] Maarkov
[ANONYMOUS] Kaneth
[ANONYMOUS] Grumblethorn
[ANONYMOUS] Homp
[ANONYMOUS] Wizat
Your who request was cut short..too many players.

Also more!

Gandite (Wizard)
Drut
Banhru (Shadow Knight)
Gulth
Laurellin/Kylesa (Bard)
Jeph (Magician)
Dramon
Homp (Wizard)
Geldarm
Syrie (Druid)
Renzan (Cleric)
Pare (Ranger)
Tones (Bard)
Hoarluk (Shaman)
Moorkus (Cleric)
Keam (Necromancer)
Jeebu
Labuj (Shadowknight)
Kebtik (Wizard)
Blackyce/Ursus
Tokyo

The Sneak! on

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn you!

Jubal77 on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pretty sure private servers of a game that is still in operation is illegal and super against the forum rules...or am i wrong? I know that for some reason the UO private servers seem to be legal, not sure why. Is this the same sorta deal? Same game but different?

Edit: You put 2 different web sites in your OP, project1999.com goes nowhere, and project1999.org does go somewhere.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pretty sure private servers of a game that is still in operation is illegal and super against the forum rules...or am i wrong? I know that for some reason the UO private servers seem to be legal, not sure why. Is this the same sorta deal? Same game but different?

Edit: You put 2 different web sites in your OP, project1999.com goes nowhere, and project1999.org does go somewhere.

It's not illegal at all, so long as the server is not modifying the executable file in any way, which they are not. I also had mod permission to post this thread before I did it, just to be on the safe side. :)

EDIT: And thank you for letting me know about the incorrect link! Fixed it.

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »

It's not illegal at all, so long as the server is not modifying the executable file in any way, which they are not. I also had mod permission to post this thread before I did it, just to be on the safe side. :)

So, whats so great about the old EQ that makes it better than the newer one? I remember playing it ages ago and all the non-casters classes being really underpowered and the whole game basically being really unbalanced and needlessly frustrating. It was also full of elitism and had a horrible community(This was what really turned me off, getting made fun of for being a new player by everyone at once ever time i asked anything, getting told to go play something else if i didnt know something obscure ect.). Is this like that too?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    EQ was my first MMO. I remember playing it on a 486. I loaded up a Wood Elf in Kelethin, lagged off the side of one of the tree platforms and died. I then lagged through the elevators back into the city for an hour, and quit for many months.

Whenever I hear people lament about casual vs. hardcore in WoW, I think of EQ with it's non-instanced raids and lack of quest system.

Also, Elimination, you just described WoW as well.

Bikkstah on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    EQ was my first MMO. I remember playing it on a 486. I loaded up a Wood Elf in Kelethin, lagged off the side of one of the tree platforms and died. I then lagged through the elevators back into the city for an hour, and quit for many months.

Whenever I hear people lament about casual vs. hardcore in WoW, I think of EQ with it's non-instanced raids and lack of quest system.

Also, Elimination, you just described WoW as well.

That's exactly what I read. I'm curious what expansion was current when you played Elimination. I have very fond memories of my time in EQ even though game is absurdly challenging with a learning curve that kills. I believe those things are what made the game so rewarding once your character reached the end game. I started in Velious shortly before luclin and played all the way up to Omens of War. I can say for certain that the game's current incarnation is a shell of its former glory. It has jumped the shark, grown far too big for its britches, etc etc.

I messed about when they made the progression servers, but I couldn't enjoy it. It was a cool idea that everyone wanted and when Sony made it happen it was just a huge race to unlock everything as fast as possible. Hugest letdown ever. I'm interested to see what happens with this, but I remember how long it took my characters to get to the stage I liked in that game and I remember how difficult it was. I'm not exactly looking to relive that experience any time soon hah. Although I do believe I have an EQ titanium lying around somewhere...

Shogun on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got a 50 bard on this server. It's pretty fun but man once you hit that endgame it sucks balls of the greatest magnitude. Plane of Fear and the dragons raiding it terrible. Maybe that's just because I don't raid on any MMO ever. And the bickering on the forums is so goddamn stupid there too. They're trying to act tough and shit on a game that was considered to be carebear central compared to UO. Fighting over the raid targets between the 2 big guilds Transcendence, and Inglorious Basterds has reached retardo poopsocking levels. I swear the guys at IB don't even sleep much less have anything resembling a life anymore with the amount that they play.

Brian on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is something that was puzzling me. The only way these games continue to run appropriately is that content must continue to flow.

Shogun on
    edited January 2010
    Until Kunark is released, I think what the server really needs to focus on is GM-hosted events. I am one of those extremely rare people that can keep playing a game, despite lack of content, just by hanging out with the community. Hell, when a game gets TOO big, it turns away new players.

Brian, what's your name on the server? It isn't Brain by any chance, is it?

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2010

So, whats so great about the old EQ that makes it better than the newer one? I remember playing it ages ago and all the non-casters classes being really underpowered and the whole game basically being really unbalanced and needlessly frustrating. It was also full of elitism and had a horrible community(This was what really turned me off, getting made fun of for being a new player by everyone at once ever time i asked anything, getting told to go play something else if i didnt know something obscure ect.). Is this like that too?

To seriously answer your question, though, Elimination, EQ was the first game that made me feel like I was in a living, breathing world, where I could go practically anywhere I wanted and do anything. Other MMOs these days, including EverQuest II, just make me feel like I'm playing a videogame, holding my hand and leading me from one quest hub to the next, forcing me to play the game the way they intended it to be played.

I also loved being able to help new players by doing the simple little things, like hanging around town and buffing them with the best spells I possibly had to help them out while they were soloing, or giving a decent weapon or piece of armor to a monster that I know a new player is going to kill, and when they do, they drop that piece of equipment I just gave them (this was a while ago in EQ, and I don't think you can do that anymore on Live), and there's just the thrill of trying an extraordinarily difficult mob in the game with your group mates, confident that you can take it down if you all work together. That happened to me last night at the chessboard in the Butcherblock Mountains; we were killing skeletal pawns, rooks, bishops, and knights, but we were always terrified of the king, since the last time my fiancee and I tried to duo it, it wasn't pretty. But me, my fiancee, and two good friends in-game managed to take it down after a long and adrenaline-pumping fight, and we felt extremely accomplished as a result.

The other reason why EQ excels over other MMOs is simply the dungeons. Huge, sprawling monstrosities that lead down many twists and turns, in a completely non-instanced environment, with plenty of secrets to be unearthed. If Brad McQuaid knew how to develop one thing, it's dungeons; even Vanguard: Saga of Heroes has some of the best dungeons in any MMO I've ever played, despite the plethora of bugs found in that game.

I really have no idea what era of EQ you played, but it's unfortunate you had such a bad experience with it, because mine was the opposite.

The Sneak! on
  • CianiCiani Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ARE THERE ANY GIRLS THERE?!

Ciani on
    edited January 2010
    If you decide to hop on, post your character name, race, class, and the zone you're around, and I'll add you to the OP.

Updated OP with races, classes, and roster.

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2010
    I really want to get in on this for old times sake, but I just don't know if I can do it! Its sort of like willingly taking on a heroin addiction.

Shogun on
    edited January 2010
    You're going to cave, Shogun. :)

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2010
    I'm Gildiss Gram 50 bard but I don't really play it anymore. I do however have cash and can twink you guys out if you want.

Brian on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brian wrote: »
    I'm Gildiss Gram 50 bard but I don't really play it anymore. I do however have cash and can twink you guys out if you want.

if bards can still swarm kite entire zones im thinking that could be pretty darn useful

the entire lack of instances and the drive for mob resets (dragons fear hate air)

{remember fear kiting spectres for hours on my sk} the 6 min timer ones near cazic thul/fear from i dont know.... 32-44

farbekrieg on
    edited January 2010
    The swarm songs have melee range on them so its not very useful for kiting. I did all my leveling with charm kiting specters and ogre guards. Songs in general kind of hang sometimes and don't work and don't give the normal messages, it's a problem with the EMU itself not the server in specific.

Brian on
    edited January 2010
    Appreciate the offer for twinkage, Brian, but I want to earn everything here. Thank you, though. :)

The Sneak! on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's a little different, IMO, from WoW.
    If someone is asking a lot of questions about basic gameplay in WoW, they're an idiot who skipped all the info handed to them at the beginning of the game.

In EQ, back in 99', the game didn't even tell you how to move your character around.
    You made a character, and you logged in, and that was it.

This was elitism it it's most impersonal sense of the word, when you asked a question, and people told you to go fuck yourself =P

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Edit: Also, thanks to the OP, I plan to go home after work tonight and download the client.
    I've been itching to try EQ again, but I'd rather play it the way I remember it from when I started in 1999, if only for the sake of nostalgia!

Bloodshed on
    edited January 2010
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    It's a little different, IMO, from WoW.
    If someone is asking a lot of questions about basic gameplay in WoW, they're an idiot who skipped all the info handed to them at the beginning of the game.

In EQ, back in 99', the game didn't even tell you how to move your character around.
    You made a character, and you logged in, and that was it.

This was elitism it it's most impersonal sense of the word, when you asked a question, and people told you to go fuck yourself =P

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Edit: Also, thanks to the OP, I plan to go home after work tonight and download the client.
    I've been itching to try EQ again, but I'd rather play it the way I remember it from when I started in 1999, if only for the sake of nostalgia!

Awesome! Be sure to add the people on the OP as your friends, and I can even get you caught up on levels whenever. :)

The Sneak! on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have it on good authority that the reason they don't do a true "classic" server is because the code is gone. Just not there anymore. Back then we didn't have the robust and cheap source repositories that we have now, so sometime in one of the various facility moves and company changeovers the original codebase was lost.

They did an official progression thing where they unlocked expansion packs piecemeal but I hear it turned into a content race for raid guilds, and it wasn't really like the old game since they kept a bunch of new spells and gear and stuff, and the older zones were tuned the same way they were in the up-to-date game. Oh well.

zilo on
  • SkayelSkayel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was actually going to make a thread for this, but I wasn't sure about the whole emulator deal on this forum, so I'm glad you did!

I've got a level 38 wizard on this server named Homp. I've been getting a bit burned out on it, as I've already logged hundreds of hours just to get up to 38. It's quite slow if you don't have an awesome group. Over all I'd say that this server is very well put together, even though there are a few bugs. If you're hearing about GM favouritism, please take it with a grain of salt... most of it is very muchly blown out of proportion, and it is really not a problem.

There are 3 main guilds on the server right now: Inglorious Basterds, Transcendence, and Divinity (to a lesser extent, but will soon be on par). Each of these guilds will have a level requirement though, and you really do need to be in a guild on this server. There will always be drama between the top guilds in any game you play, so that's nothing new, and IMO that's just part of the fun.

Skayel on
    edited January 2010
    The sneak is hooked up with a bunch of gear if anyone wants some. He is taking the high road and not twinking himself but feel free to check out the stuff.

Brian on
    edited January 2010
    Awesome Skayel! We've gamed in other MMOs together before, so I'll look for you on here, as well. :)

Don't worry, I'll be catching up to you soon enough!

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2010
    I'm also adding a few of my friends on the roster, as well, since despite them not being on the Penny Arcade forums, they're always there to help or group up if need be.

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2010
    Anyone here remember camping the dervish camps?
    dervishj.jpg

The Sneak! on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow...that pic.....

I can remember soloing those camps on my WE Druid.

There was a named mummy...like Rahotep or something?
    I remember killing him and getting his scepter.

I used it for a long time and later someone offered me a rediculous amount of plat for it and I refused.
    I never grouped with that toon once, not til he was like 52. He was wearing the cheapest crap (This was pre-bazaar days, of course) Everything he was wearing was either vendor bought or found off a mob.
    I loved it!

I had my Rogue and my Warrior for grouping, the Druid was for those days you just didn't wanna sit around LFG for a few hours =)

My very first character ever was a dwarf warrior, and I started playing in Sept. of 1999, my friend already had a level 50 Wizard, and I was actually "twinked". WHen I was like 22 or so he got me a Executioner's Hood and Axe, and man did I get grief for it.

The druid was my "I'm doing it on my own this time" toon. Pure awesome.

Bloodshed on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lol.. "Dorn to FP zone!"

zilo on
    edited January 2010
    What was it with EQ and inserting those obscenely powerful mobs in the midst of our leveling mobs? Dorn, SG's around caimens and crocs, spectre's, Mother Fucking Dvinn right next to Crush.

Old school Verant was Evil.

Bloodshed on
    edited January 2010
    What was it with EQ and inserting those obscenely powerful mobs in the midst of our leveling mobs? Dorn, SG's around caimens and crocs, spectre's, Mother Fucking Dvinn right next to Crush.

Ahh crushbone. And North Ro. Such memories.

Ok so lets suppose I was installing this right now. What class would be beneficial to the setup Sneak? I have loads of experience with Wizard and Rogue, but I could probably play any class no problem.

Shogun on
    edited January 2010
    Shogun wrote: »

Ahh crushbone. And North Ro. Such memories.

Ok so lets suppose I was installing this right now. What class would be beneficial to the setup Sneak? I have loads of experience with Wizard and Rogue, but I could probably play any class no problem.

Be whatever you want. There's a healthy population of practically everything on the server. If you ever group with us, you always have a guaranteed Cleric and Druid in your party, and more than likely you'll be chillin' with our core group, which is a Cleric, Druid, Monk, Enchanter, and Warrior.

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2010
    That group needs me to roll a Rogue and stab things for it =P

Edit: Or another druid..or a Necro...damn!

Bloodshed on
    edited January 2010
    Couple questions.

Can't get my game to not run in windowed mode. Not a big deal I guess but my taskbar is covering up the chat box and I cant move it.

This last one is a bit embarrassing. I don't remember how to change my key bindings and apparently it isn't in the options menu.

edit: scratch that I got it

edit 2: I'm in. Gandite the high elf wizard lives yet again.

Shogun on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I used to love EQ. Spent many years on it, and failed my sr year of highschool too mainly because instead of doing homework I played EQ till 5 in the morning. Then pretended to be asleep when my parents woke up and slept through classes. (Had to take summer school :p but I thought it was so worth it at the time.. I now realize why my parents were so upset about it :p)

I went back to it about a year ago, just to check it out, and after years later of MMO's I just can't do it. I'm too spoiled by good combat mechanics(at least compared to EQ) and quest systems and instances.. and pretty much everything standard in an MMO now.

Back in the day I played a shaman I raided with, who was absolutely decked out. I was one of those dicks you're guild would be building a small group/raid for to go kill a dragon, you'd show up and I'd be soloing it. Man those Torpor spells were insane "Heals you for insane amounts forever, but you walk a little bit slolwer" Oh.. so I can have a dragon killing me in the face, I cast torpor and stay at full health, and can just stab it to death? Deal.

I also had a rogue I raided with up through Kunark I think, had a necro/mage I duo boxed with, and 2 wizards I leveled to I think 50 or 60 to get the ports to all the major places on both accounts. A shadowknight I leveled to max level for the Velious Expansion, I forget what level that was, and solo quested/ground out the giant faction, so I could speed up corpse recovery for my guild when we raided that giant town. I seriously put epic levels of time into that game. One of my favorite things to do, which was a total dick move, was log on my mage, summon a shitload of those weapons that had special procs on them, give them to my shaman, log off the mage, then onto the enchanter and take the enchanter / shaman duo box combo out into the world charm hard mobs that fuck people up (like sand giants in The Oasis of Marr) buff the shit out of them, give them weapons, and let them go. And hang around to watch as some cocky ass warrior or something came to kill them and save the "newbs". Then see him get his ass handed to him by basically a raid buffed Sand giant dual wielding weapons of doom, hasted up the ass, and able to outrun anyone but a bard :p (speed buffs on npcs seemed to speed them up a bit more than they would a player, so an NPC with SoW would outrun a player with SoW). Like I said a total dick move.. but back then I was a total dick. I'm much nicer online now, that I'm not an angsty teenager.

I think about it and fondly remember the memories I made in that game, and don't really want to ruin those memories by actually playing the game again. But what I have been doing lately in WoW, without even seeing this thread! Is naming my hunters pets after old EQ NPC's. So far I've got Fippy the wolf, Dvinn the nether ray, and Vox the white warp stalker. I've got two spots left and not sure who/what I"m going to pick. I want them all Classic EverQuest for sure.

Also the best spell in the game is for mages. Summon: Monster. Yeah it sucks, and isn't as good as your regular pet (fire pet for the motherfucking win!) but its so much cooler to have an Aviak at your command or a Specter, or giant Or to destroy Blackburrow with a Gnoll pet!

And finally, one more reason to hate the game.

Oh awesome I got a killer new spell that's going to help me a lot!

Your spell has fizzled.
    Your spell has fizzled.
    Your spell has fizzled.
    You have become better at Evocation.! (1)
    Your spell has fizzled.
    Your spell has fizzled.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm really considering this, but i lost my platinum disk a long time ago.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited January 2010
    Well Ewom I'm an old veteran myself and I had a great time tonight. Getting to level 3 was boring as I was alone but it wasn't long before I got a group stomping orcs. I really forgot how much faster the xp rolls in when you're in a group.

I may stick this out for a few days and see where I can get my wizard. Its crazy seeing items I paid nothing for back in the day going for hundreds and thousands of platinum. Also there's manastones!

Shogun on
    edited January 2010
    We were hitting up the Oasis last night at the ol' Orc Highway. Good times.

The Sneak! on
  • DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know if I want to jump into classic EQ.... I prefer my memories of the good, and the more I think about playing it again, I seem to only remember the bad.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brian wrote: »
    The swarm songs have melee range on them so its not very useful for kiting. I did all my leveling with charm kiting specters and ogre guards. Songs in general kind of hang sometimes and don't work and don't give the normal messages, it's a problem with the EMU itself not the server in specific.

Which version of monk did they go with in this, the absurdly over or underpowered version?

also are epics in?

kunark whistling fists? (re-read OP doesnt look like iksar are available so unlikely to have whistling fists) :P

original version of the deceivers mask in guk (all class useable?)

/still remember seeing a monk in wus armor and epic just beating things down with their fists
    //why yes i did play a necro mnk and sk if it couldnt fd it wasnt for me

farbekrieg on
    edited January 2010

To seriously answer your question, though, Elimination, EQ was the first game that made me feel like I was in a living, breathing world, where I could go practically anywhere I wanted and do anything. Other MMOs these days, including EverQuest II, just make me feel like I'm playing a videogame, holding my hand and leading me from one quest hub to the next, forcing me to play the game the way they intended it to be played.

I also loved being able to help new players by doing the simple little things, like hanging around town and buffing them with the best spells I possibly had to help them out while they were soloing, or giving a decent weapon or piece of armor to a monster that I know a new player is going to kill, and when they do, they drop that piece of equipment I just gave them (this was a while ago in EQ, and I don't think you can do that anymore on Live), and there's just the thrill of trying an extraordinarily difficult mob in the game with your group mates, confident that you can take it down if you all work together. That happened to me last night at the chessboard in the Butcherblock Mountains; we were killing skeletal pawns, rooks, bishops, and knights, but we were always terrified of the king, since the last time my fiancee and I tried to duo it, it wasn't pretty. But me, my fiancee, and two good friends in-game managed to take it down after a long and adrenaline-pumping fight, and we felt extremely accomplished as a result.

The other reason why EQ excels over other MMOs is simply the dungeons. Huge, sprawling monstrosities that lead down many twists and turns, in a completely non-instanced environment, with plenty of secrets to be unearthed. If Brad McQuaid knew how to develop one thing, it's dungeons; even Vanguard: Saga of Heroes has some of the best dungeons in any MMO I've ever played, despite the plethora of bugs found in that game.

I really have no idea what era of EQ you played, but it's unfortunate you had such a bad experience with it, because mine was the opposite.

I played the game back in highschool, it had been out for a little while by that point. I came to it from playing UO and the community drove me away within my first month. I did not enjoy it at all, it was the opposite of fun. It seemed like if i didnt spend every waking moment on the game that i couldnt keep up to anyone that WAS nice to me and played with me, and i got left behind in the leveling curve very fast by all the obsessed players on it. When i got behind like that people started talking shit to me and stuff, mocking me for basically having a fucking life outside of the game. It got ridiculous to the point where i just gave up and never looked back. UO could be like that too, but it wasn't nearly as bad in my experience, most people were on UO to have fun and do dumb stuff to each others characters and it was funny and fun.

The only other MMO i enjoyed as much as UO since has been EvE Online if that puts my play style into perspective. I haven't played EvE in a while but i played it for around 2 years. Also you guys aren't far off the mark with WoW either, i tried WoW a little while after it came out because a bunch of friends were playing, i didn't even last a month with WoW, though the main reason for that was a i found WoW to be the most brain numbingly boring game i have ever played to this day. Nothing in the game appealed to me at all, it was graphically ugly, the characters looked like ass all the time, the world was ok i guess, but everyone got handed to me and felt like it was all so on-rails and that i always had to play the game a certain way or else i wouldnt get anywhere. I remembered one guy i talked to on WoW and i was just saying how i didnt think i was going to continue playing because i found the game so boring and the world so ugly, and he FLIPPED out at me and raged right out about how i was a fucking moron because i didn't understand how great WoW was. That was the day i quit that and never went back to that one too.

Really i don't play much MMO's anymore because i cant stand most of the communities and all the games seem to be clones of each other. I get sick of going to buy a new MMO, popping it in only to discover it is WoW with different graphics or EQ with different graphics. I dunno, maybe i've just become really jaded about MMO's because of all the bad experiences i've had with them.

Elimination on
This discussion has been closed.