As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Taikodom] - Freespace the MMO ! Also Free!

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ok i fixed my issue...i just switched ships by buying one that cost 0 and bam suddenly all my ships popped back onto my screen and everything started working again...so Ace Damage is back in action, i will probably have some catching up to do in rank now.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got the game to run and tested out a Bomber. Very cool.

His Name's Edhar and I'll be playing him off and on.

Edit: Also my first post in this thread, the complaint about your ship playing follow the lazy cursor? Completely fixed by going into cockpit mode.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Entaru wrote: »
    Edit: Also my first post in this thread, the complaint about your ship playing follow the lazy cursor? Completely fixed by going into cockpit mode.

That was making me crazy, you own. Will using a joystick in 3rd person fix this, or would you even want to?

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    n00bish wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »

That was making me crazy, you own. Will using a joystick in 3rd person fix this, or would you even want to?

No It still does the lazy cursor in 3rd person, even with a Joystick. Only way to fix it is cockpit mode.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The "lazy crosshair" is due to the fact that the guns are actually firing from the ship instead of from your screen. At a distance, you never notice it, but when you get close to the enemy, you have to aim below the center of the screen to hit them because they're right in front of your ship.

In cockpit view, you're firing from the screen, so you don't experience the same thing.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah hah! i acctually got it to run. Score. Anyway. Hotshot Mateesha.. i blow stuff up. Likely mostly myself at this point in time.

Blinks77 on
    edited January 2010
    There's a nice mining area right next to Titan, the place you start in. I believe the zone is called Ceres. Really dense asteroid field. Fly in, fill up your cargo, fly back to Titan to sell it. I've also been getting 100 merit points from the rocks that drop 4 different types of goods. There's some pretty tough looking hostiles in there, but I haven't had any of them shoot at me yet.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
    edited January 2010
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    There's a nice mining area right next to Titan, the place you start in. I believe the zone is called Ceres. Really dense asteroid field. Fly in, fill up your cargo, fly back to Titan to sell it. I've also been getting 100 merit points from the rocks that drop 4 different types of goods. There's some pretty tough looking hostiles in there, but I haven't had any of them shoot at me yet.

Ceres is also a PVP zone, so expect some serious danger from rank 30 and up pirate players out to steal your haul.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I made Travis the Great a hotshot, gonna roll up Metadust as a bomber soon, whichever I like more once I do bomber tutorial I will stick with. Anyone down in the boonies shout out and I'll fly with ya.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited January 2010
    I made Travis the Great a hotshot, gonna roll up Metadust as a bomber soon, whichever I like more once I do bomber tutorial I will stick with. Anyone down in the boonies shout out and I'll fly with ya.

Yeah i've gone through most of the different classes now to an extent to get a feel for them. I'm probly gonna stick with my fighter pilot.

Elimination on
  • LandoBeeLandoBee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks to the space-sim thread, I've come here :)
    Downloaded the game, looks awesome in its promise, but can't play it...
    Everytime I start the game, it goes black (I hear sound and mouse going over stuff), or the screen flickers the whole time. I think it has something to do with Windows 7, but tried every setting in compatibility mode with admin run on and off. I have the latest drivers for my radeon 4800 installed, so I don't think that's it.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to solve this? I really want to try this game out :(
    (btw, I can't seem to get into the tech forums of the game itself, it keeps saying the login isn't working in Portugese or so I think, so that's why I am posting here).

LandoBee on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LandoBee wrote: »
    Thanks to the space-sim thread, I've come here :)
    Downloaded the game, looks awesome in its promise, but can't play it...
    Everytime I start the game, it goes black (I hear sound and mouse going over stuff), or the screen flickers the whole time. I think it has something to do with Windows 7, but tried every setting in compatibility mode with admin run on and off. I have the latest drivers for my radeon 4800 installed, so I don't think that's it.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to solve this? I really want to try this game out :(
    (btw, I can't seem to get into the tech forums of the game itself, it keeps saying the login isn't working in Portugese or so I think, so that's why I am posting here).

This happens for me too. I'm not sure if there's an opening intro or not, I just hit escape a few times and wait. Eventually it comes through.

citizen059 on
    edited January 2010
    Does anyone have any real experience as an Explorer? I thought they'd get some kind of cool sciency skills, but I get some hazard shield I don't know anything about and feel like a jack-of-all-trades. What makes explorer worth it?

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • LandoBeeLandoBee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    citizen059 wrote: »

This happens for me too. I'm not sure if there's an opening intro or not, I just hit escape a few times and wait. Eventually it comes through.

The strange thing is....
    - with run as admin or no admin and win xp sp2 mode: no intro movie to be seen, total black screen (except for mousepointer), but with sound. I also hear sounds when I roll over menuitems in the welcome screen. But screen stays black :(
    The REAL weird thing is when I alttab, I can see the screen for a second! But when I go back, its another second viewable screen and then back to black........
    - with run as admin and in no comp. mode: no intro movie to be seen, but sound works perfect, and can see everything on screen. But the screen keep flickering every second....
    - with no run as admin and in no comp. mode: I see the intro movie, but very stuttering. After this the screen keeps flickering every second.

I also put the refresh rate low etc. Its not the vidcard I think, got the newest drivers and all my other games just work.

I also tried setting affinity to 1 processor, but that didnt work either :(
    Windows does sometime display the message: The color scheme has been changed. But I don't think that really has to do with the non-viewability of the game. At least, I hope not....

Edit: grrrr after trying for half an hour to get into the forums of Taikodom, I give up. Everytime I try to make a topic to ask the above, it just keeps saying that I am not logged in. When I try yo log in with the id/pw that I use ingame (and another I made on the website again...), it just keeps saying the forum does not recognize me.

Meh, hope somewhere here has ideas for a solution, or can repost this on their site for me :(

EDIT2: SOLUTION! It WAS the friggin Aero... had to change Theme to windows 7 basic (with aero off), and then it worked! Woo! See you ingame :)

LandoBee on
    edited January 2010
    Does anyone have any real experience as an Explorer? I thought they'd get some kind of cool sciency skills, but I get some hazard shield I don't know anything about and feel like a jack-of-all-trades. What makes explorer worth it?

I believe they're able to get the highest cruise speeds, as well as the fastest cruise engine startup times. Pretty much makes them the best for getting from place to place. Beyond that, it seems they're sitting somewhere between a hotshot and a merchant when it comes to their ships.

I started off as a scout as well. Up to level (rank) 13. Right now, every point I'm not putting into the explorer skill (upgrades shields, cruise speed, and capacity), or particle weapons (damage and range), I'm tossing into energy management (reduced cruise activation time). I'm hoping that the faster cruise activation will give me a quick escape if things get dicey.

As I'm learning more about the game, though... I'm thinking that it's a better to specialize in two different weapon sets, one to tear up shields and one to do hull damage. Since it seems you can respec at some point, I'm not to worried about that.

Also, can anyone confirm that doing missions earns you skill points? I suddenly had 3 after leveling up once, and I think it's because I had done a couple missions.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
    edited January 2010
    Nerdtendo wrote: »

I believe they're able to get the highest cruise speeds, as well as the fastest cruise engine startup times. Pretty much makes them the best for getting from place to place. Beyond that, it seems they're sitting somewhere between a hotshot and a merchant when it comes to their ships.

I started off as a scout as well. Up to level (rank) 13. Right now, every point I'm not putting into the explorer skill (upgrades shields, cruise speed, and capacity), or particle weapons (damage and range), I'm tossing into energy management (reduced cruise activation time). I'm hoping that the faster cruise activation will give me a quick escape if things get dicey.

As I'm learning more about the game, though... I'm thinking that it's a better to specialize in two different weapon sets, one to tear up shields and one to do hull damage. Since it seems you can respec at some point, I'm not to worried about that.

Also, can anyone confirm that doing missions earns you skill points? I suddenly had 3 after leveling up once, and I think it's because I had done a couple missions.

From 1-15 you can respec for in-game money, after that you need to spend their silly cash shop currency. I'm speccing an energy weapon and a physical weapon, switching between the two is easy, and cuts down on kill time tremendously. Although I wonder if I shouldn't have gone with gauss weapons over railguns...

Even maxed, the cruise activation only takes two seconds from what I think is a 5 second cruise activation, which leaving a little earlier will do for you as well. I can't really see how much utility you'll get out of that in the long run, but I am a total newbie so vOv.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My biggest issue with the game is that it takes forever to load sometimes. Even closing the market will take 10 seconds sometimes, not to mention starting up takes forever. That's not something that should happen when closing a menu on a rig like mine. I have no problem in very graphic intensive games, it just seems like the code is chugging.

Are we gonna have a corp at some point?

intelnavi on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, like I said after my embarassment, I decided to give this a shot.

... I'm having a lot of trouble with my joystick. The mouse and joystick are competing with each other for the direction to go, and the pitch and yaw seems to die. It took me a while to realize my throttle was set to rotation, but when I went to try and fix it everything died but a couple buttons.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    Okay, like I said after my embarassment, I decided to give this a shot.

... I'm having a lot of trouble with my joystick. The mouse and joystick are competing with each other for the direction to go, and the pitch and yaw seems to die. It took me a while to realize my throttle was set to rotation, but when I went to try and fix it everything died but a couple buttons.

Yeah, the game doesn't really like joysticks, so much as tolerates them. From what I can tell, you cannot reassign axes, so if you have a throttle lever on your joystick that the game recognizes as axis w, then it controls the roll, which means you've got to just try to keep in as centered as possible and then never touch it.

As for mouse-joystick competing, the game generally recognizes whichever was last used. The game does have some wonky targeting when using the default third person view, though; try hitting I to go to cockpit view, and see if that works better for you.

Dizzen on
    edited January 2010
    We will have a corp once we have 1 Million space bucks, which is a lot for people who started playing a few days ago.

I suggest we get some war parties, who ever likes merchant come in here and recruit our fighters and bombers, then start making that dough. Your Freighter will carry the space economy that will spend through the heavens.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So how do I respec? Kinda put in points randomly at first.

Or can you even do that?

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This most certainly seems like a game I would enjoy. Will install as soon as I finish work tonight.

RisenPhoenix on
  • BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I fired this thing up a bit this afternoon and enjoyed it quite a bit. I know this has sort of already been asked, but has anyone figured out what's up with the Scout's hazard shield? I had hoped it would give us access to areas the other classes can't get at or something, but I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere.

Bluefoot on
    edited January 2010
    Bluefoot wrote: »
    So I fired this thing up a bit this afternoon and enjoyed it quite a bit. I know this has sort of already been asked, but has anyone figured out what's up with the Scout's hazard shield? I had hoped it would give us access to areas the other classes can't get at or something, but I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere.

Bottom right corner of the map, 3 spaces that are within a red border, with some lightning bolt symbols around them.

These areas are called "Hazardous Zones". I assume that means you would take constant damage in that zone, so as an explorer you can grant a reasonable amount of time within those areas to gather minerals and stuff.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited January 2010

Bottom right corner of the map, 3 spaces that are within a red border, with some lightning bolt symbols around them.

These areas are called "Hazardous Zones". I assume that means you would take constant damage in that zone, so as an explorer you can grant a reasonable amount of time within those areas to gather minerals and stuff.

Ahh, cool. I'm Bluefoot in-game, by the way.

Bluefoot on
  • DamagemanualDamagemanual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Downloading this now.

Damagemanual on
    3DS Friend Code: 0301-9784-2762
    Pokemon White: 3353-4309-8670

(PM me if you add please)
    edited January 2010

Ok, that's actually cool. Now I don't feel bad about being a scout.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
    edited January 2010
    It might be worth noting that those systems down at the corner of the map are behind the pay wall... I think. However Mercury is also a hazardous system and appears to be available to everyone.

Bluefoot on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In game as Mestepula Urdania, I would have posted sooner but I have been having some trouble getting started.

My first issue was the never ending loading screen after clicking on [Use Terminal] or w/e it is before character creation, once I got past that it was a straight shot into the post character creation loading freeze.

Shortly thereafter I ran into the longest load times of my life and once I finally got into the main screen it says my server ping is over 50k and when I click Undock it doesn't do anything besides grey the button out.

I just added an exception to my firewall and I am downloading Sun Java to see if that clears anything up.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lol the "Free shipping" quest as a Merchant is quite bugged, you need to get 30 ice flakes and 20 hydrogen, and where do you get them? The same place you start the quest at. Pretty much, free merit! (The quest reward also covers the loss from buying the materials.)

So, anyone else a merchant? I also hit up Uranus, sadly no PAers or even English speaking folks around. Met 2 so far.

This game needs to be more alt-tab friendly, it's difficult to add people from the forums and keep the game running - which is why I haven't done so so far.
    JamesDM wrote: »
    In game as Mestepula Urdania, I would have posted sooner but I have been having some trouble getting started.

My first issue was the never ending loading screen after clicking on [Use Terminal] or w/e it is before character creation, once I got past that it was a straight shot into the post character creation loading freeze.

Shortly thereafter I ran into the longest load times of my life and once I finally got into the main screen it says my server ping is over 50k and when I click Undock it doesn't do anything besides grey the button out.

I just added an exception to my firewall and I am downloading Sun Java to see if that clears anything up.
    These are all known issues that I had\have too, all of us have.

This game is painfully slow on it's UI, you basically have to click something and go get a cup of tea while you wait until you get out of the first docking station.

God help you if you want to bring up your mission details by the way, would advise against it.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Does the game generally run significantly faster at lower resolutions or does that alleviate any issues?

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    whenever i try to open any menus the game crashes, wtf is that? I can log in, but if i try and open my inventory, or do anything outside menus that are popped up on their own the damn thing freezes still.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    JamesDM wrote: »
    Does the game generally run significantly faster at lower resolutions or does that alleviate any issues?
    From what I can tell, it's a hybrid of server and simple bad programming issues. From what I have discovered, lowering graphics won't speed it up. It might help a little, but overall I think it's just because the thing's in beta, so bear with it.
    whenever i try to open any menus the game crashes, wtf is that? I can log in, but if i try and open my inventory, or do anything outside menus that are popped up on their own the damn thing freezes still.
    You tried running in windowed mode?

This game is mighty boring on my own I must say, can't play it for longer than an hour before I just give up. :P Then again, what made the Freelancer online awesome was the people.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
    edited January 2010
    Christ I can't read the OP.

Also I just discovered that space is for cutting your engines, and it acts like a switch which is pretty sweet. Although I sort of miss being able to turn without losing all my speed, I might end up staying as my hotshot.

Does anyone know how Explorer stacks shipwise to the others, if going greatest to least speed wise the list would be: Hotshot > Bomber > Merchant, Where would explorer fit.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've got it installed, running into the never-ending freeze after clicking on Use Terminal. Will try again a little later.

I'll definitely be rolling a Merchant - Will write down the forumers names and add you all.

RisenPhoenix on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Started playing this... alt tabbed out to say that I had started playing this went back in and my mouse controls where gone

initiatefailure on
    edited January 2010
    This game fucking HATES Alt-Tabbing.

don't do it bro

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haha well now I know.

Anyway I'll be on and off a bit checking it out. My character's name is Subtle. not sure if that's the name you use in this game or if it's like champions where it's all under the account name, but it would be nice to be able to play with some PAers especially because my understanding of Portuguese is based on my spanish so it's hit or miss on me understanding any of the chat going on.

Btw, is each stations market seperate? and when i post a large stack of something on it can people buy however many they want or does it force the whole stack to be bought?

initiatefailure on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Started playing this, character's name is Zandracon. Shooting internet space rocks. Or NPCs I guess.

Zandracon on
    edited January 2010
    Christ I can't read the OP.

Also I just discovered that space is for cutting your engines, and it acts like a switch which is pretty sweet. Although I sort of miss being able to turn without losing all my speed, I might end up staying as my hotshot.

Does anyone know how Explorer stacks shipwise to the others, if going greatest to least speed wise the list would be: Hotshot > Bomber > Merchant, Where would explorer fit.

Explorer is kind of the middle ground dude. He seems to be a jack of all trades, master of none sort of deal.

Elimination on