As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Contribute On]Degrees

2»

• Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Update: Have fleshed out 14, I think there's potential for some nice old-fashioned hack and slash in there. Chimeras for all!

179 through to 30 is now gapless, giving an unbroken chain of 41 Degrees! It's getting there for sure.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to hack my way through some of the descriptions today. I've done a couple more already, but I can't remember which ones.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I was reading through some of the descriptions that other people did just now, some of them are really cool. I especially like Kyrie and Idji, so if that was you then :^:.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Has anyone blatantly stolen The Scale for a degree yet?
    Because that could be awesome.
    Could.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Fucking do it Rose. As long as noone minds. If you go into detail just suggest that the Gods are all splinters of the same original god, or something. The denizens can believe in as many gods as they like but the Degree is pretty much tied to being created by one.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I was reading through some of the descriptions that other people did just now, some of them are really cool. I especially like Kyrie and Idji, so if that was you then :^:.

Thanks. I've added Windlewoot and the Giant's Garden - that one's kind of cliché, but I think it's worth having.

Edit: Also added Onwards and Upwards.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Added more, I have a few favourites now that I have some cool campaign ideas for. By my count there are 45 left now. That means there are 145 with descriptions.

That's quite a lot that are done and not many that are left :o Is someone who took part in the Myth that yielded "The Scale" going to be kind enough to throw that in there?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd love to but I can't parse all the HTML in the main table, so I have no idea where the hell anything is...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Use the WYSIWYG editor? I think you go to preferences to change to it. It's not perfect but it's handy if you're inept with code (like me) or just can't be bothered.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bumpity bump.

There are only about thirty spaces left. I've probably added dozens already, but I'm eager to see this finished so I'm going to keep slowly and steadily filling in spaces until either some other people fill up the remaining spaces or I run out of room.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Degrees 179 through 103 are now an unbroken chain.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nice work Arrbee. Some cool Degrees there. I've done a few this past week and will carry on into this week. Grab your spots before they go!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmm. Warriors in 146 and Philosophers in 154.

That means 147 and 148 are going to be mine since I got a few NPCs in mind and the gates are important to 147.

Hm. Is there a victorian style clockwork world yet? I'm thinking four half-planets (top flat, bottom round) that are connected to a huge metal framework and a rotating decorative sun/moon (with faces) in the middle.

Also, who is this B.S. Nyson and would you mind if he called The Unreachable (147) a "disappointing waste of time" since he couldn't get inside?

Hm. There's not nearly enough Undead Degrees! Just one city with vampires and then some zombies.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DeepQantas wrote: »
    Hm. Is there a victorian style clockwork world yet? I'm thinking four half-planets (top flat, bottom round) that are connected to a huge metal framework and a rotating decorative sun/moon (with faces) in the middle.

Also, who is this B.S. Nyson and would you mind if he called The Unreachable (147) a "disappointing waste of time" since he couldn't get inside?
    That sort of clockwork world sounds good so long as it's not the human's doing. I want to keep the technology level firmly short of steampunk and the like. Clockwork on that scale is just a little too advanced for humans, I'd think, but it could easily be the doing of a God.

B.S. Nyson is the writer of a guide to the Degrees. One of the more thorough guides, I'd say, as he's native to the Tenth, which has a strong history of exploration. So far I've been writing him in a relatively light-hearted manner, so your quote is fine.

As far as undead Degrees go I had an idea I never got around to developing for a Degree where the inhabitants are largely necromancers, gifted with the power to give life, but they're running out of new corpses. The idea of a group of dimension-hopping necromancers robbing graves is something I feel needs that little something else. Anyone else, feel free to run with this idea and try to wrestle something workable out of it. I can imagine they'd have an interesting relationship with humans in a neighbouring Degree, perhaps offering payment to those who sign away their bodies to be used as undead servants after their death.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DeepQantas wrote: »
    Hm. There's not nearly enough Undead Degrees! Just one city with vampires and then some zombies.
    Well, there're four degrees which mention undead. I suppose there's room for more.

Super: How about a degree ruled by a handful of necromancers, but with no other living inhabitants, just huge numbers of zombies? So it would be filled with pyramids and palaces devoted to the necromancer overlords, but completely silent and deserted except for omnipresent walking corpses and a few necromancers living in solitude surrounded by servants.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    Super: How about a degree ruled by a handful of necromancers, but with no other living inhabitants, just huge numbers of zombies? So it would be filled with pyramids and palaces devoted to the necromancer overlords, but completely silent and deserted except for omnipresent walking corpses and a few necromancers living in solitude surrounded by servants.
    That's partially how I saw the degree I mentioned in my last post. The "necromancers" being the only living things on the Degree and just ruling over a bunch of zombies. Zombies are bound to get lost or completely decay, though, so I like the idea that they'd need to look to other Degrees for corpses. Different necromancers could have different approaches to how they obtain them.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    After a Hiatus I added three new Degrees today and have somehow managed to wreck the layout of the front page. I can't make sense of it myself, can anyone get it looking nice again? The box with the flavour text should be at the top, underneath the title.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmm, I figured out how to work the machinery! I've added Degree 158, Speaker.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Just thrown in two more. Fixed the layout too, the sidebar was getting in the way but I don't really need it there anyway.

Dramberi (Degree 26) makes me chuckle because as much as it sounds like it should be some sort of hell I imagine the locals being really friendly, it's a cool contrast. I can see neighbours shouting to eachother from the top of their impossible towers.

"HEY MIKE"

"WHAT"

"THE ENDLESS SEA OF FLAMES IS LOOKING NICE TODAY ISN'T IT?"

"YEAH! IT'S A CORKER TODAY. SO HOW'S YOUR WIFE?"

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm going to bump this one last time, as there are TEN Degrees left before the 190 is complete. And people said 190 was too huge a number, pah!

Grab your place in history today, or else I'm just going to do it myself. Possible IRC game to follow once the list of Degrees is completed.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    165 is done.

I figure every setting needs a place for the gods to die.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I did one too. 163.

I was doing the description of it, but then my computer suddenly, massively died.

I'll do it again later. It's based on a sci-fi book I read a long time ago.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    When this is finished, I think you should only do descriptions for the important degrees. It's an impossible task to do detailed descriptions of all of these.
    I'm not going to add any more, I've done about twenty already and I don't want to taint the setting too much with my own ideas.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I'm planning on keeping the descriptions vague for a whole lot of them. It's not like I'd be able to do them all anyway! More importantly, though, it allows anyone using the setting to pick a Degree and flesh it out for themselves. I like the idea of a setting unfolding as the players explore it rather than being this huge bible the DM has to consult to see how many miles it is from Xtown to Yville.
    I like to think of a game using the setting as being a journey of discovery for both the players and the DM, who'd have to be pretty good at thinking on his feet. I wanted to create more of a framework for some cool games than a complete setting in itself. Start off in a town on one of the more normal Degrees and build the setting as the players wander!

SUPERSUGA on