As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When did the serious threads become stupid? -- Ramius Moderated Version

2»

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    denihilist wrote: »
    I've never understood the 'quality' complaint. It always seems that the people complaining the loudest are the ones with nothing to add. If you're bored with something, move on. Come back to it when it feels fresh again.

That's what I do anyway and it seems to work pretty well.

I've been reading G&T as my primary forum section for around almost 2years now. quaillity has most certainly declined in the recent months. So, either alot of us are getting bored at once, or something else is happening.

Also, ramius, I would like it if you kept an eye on G&T, as would a few other I'm sure

ronzo on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ramius wrote: »
    Another good reason has to do with the type of posts and/or posters who did manage to thrive in the ultra-high-speed chat environment that the G&T chat thread became. A "significant" proportion were not the types of posts and posters that we'd like to encourage in our headline forum.

What was so wrong about the "Chat-threaders"? I never understood the moderator's resoning for how those people turned sour. I can understand the whole Traffic thiong though, so if A call had to be made for the forum's performance, so be it. and I noticed it was hard for any of then to fit into SE++, why was that? I started posting in SE++'s tabletop thread and I don't get destroyed too badly.

More specifically, Whippy original "NEW FORUM ORDER" post sounded downright HOSTILE. not civil like you are being Ramius, and I think that's why people were as upset as they were and so many people moved on from PA, eoither to join other forums or create their own to still be able to talk to their friends they made during the chat thread's run. Whippy just seemed to be like "Fuck off and die, old G+T community!" rather than. "G+T growing pains are growning past some of our local features, as such the chat thread and Megathread will be closed for ease of moderation." I think if it went down more civil like that, the drama would've happened, and the people who left, would have left on better terms, or even still participate in G+T current state, but most have probably still got a bad taste in their mouth from all that hostility, you know?

I'm just asking, could have that change have been better handled back then?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can understand the reasons why the G&T chat thread was gotten rid of, and I think some of the reasons were quite sound.

SE++, with its own denizens and general aura, is not a substitute for the G&T chat thread. It's an awesome place, I'm glad I started posting there. I'm getting to know people there. But not new people from G&T.

The chat thread was the place to get to know folks, and with its absence, it's no wonder the place seems a bit distant- people simply don't have the chance to form friendships as easily.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I can understand the reasons why the G&T chat thread was gotten rid of, and I think some of the reasons were quite sound.

SE++, with its own denizens and general aura, is not a substitute for the G&T chat thread. It's an awesome place, I'm glad I started posting there. I'm getting to know people there. But not new people from G&T.

The chat thread was the place to get to know folks, and with its absence, it's no wonder the place seems a bit distant- people simply don't have the chance to form friendships as easily.

And it's really a shame so many people left on such bad terms, before the drama fest, the people who posted in the chat thread, to me, were decent posters in other threads too that were on-topic.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I joined the chat thread like I joined this forum (and all forums I've joined): I read it for a little bit, then signed up, found a thread I had something interesting to say in, and said it. I just hopped in, and by just participating and not going "lol, newb here", I avoided the stigma that new folks sometimes complain about.

Of course, I also didn't start a thread until after I'd been posting for quite a while. I don't even know if I've ever made a G&T thread.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:

That's pretty much why I rarely read G&T and mainly read D&D and SE now. I may not participate much in them except for a select few threads, but I enjoy reading their threads more because I can see a community and they aren't as restricted. Making G&T more serious would make it even worse.

Plus the whole thing was just handled poorly. There were some tremendous dicks who posted exclusively in the chat thread and I'm glad everyday that they're gone, but it also removed some of the people who contributed the most and really helped make G&T a fun place to visit.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=18228

Here is a good example, first reply.

I never object to an awesome internet joke, or meme, but really? Half the threads on SE are more productive.

I see about every other post in that thread being relevant and on-topic

Every other one is a joke post.

Are you suggesting that the moderators should be busting all of those?

Or hey, how about a moderator doing something other than, oh I don't know, jailing and banning? A simple post containing the words, "Keep it on-topic" is infinitely more productive than waiting for someone to break the rules.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=18228

Here is a good example, first reply.

I never object to an awesome internet joke, or meme, but really? Half the threads on SE are more productive.

I see about every other post in that thread being relevant and on-topic

Every other one is a joke post.

Are you suggesting that the moderators should be busting all of those?

Or hey, how about a moderator doing something other than, oh I don't know, jailing and banning? A simple post containing the words, "Keep it on-topic" is infinitely more productive than waiting for someone to break the rules.

I don't stray much from SE++ these days but I know for a fact that Cat and Thanatos (first two names that came to me, I know other mods do their job too. actually I respect each and every mod) try and nudge threads in the right direction before slapping yellow cards and infractions

Calebros on