As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deus Ex: contains unmarked spoilers

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is utterly ruined for me by insane mouse acceleration. WHY UNREALENGINE WHYYYYYYYY

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the silenced assault rifle is basically just like the silenced sniper rifle, only it can fire rounds faster!

Deus Ex to me hit the perfect sweet spot between being cinematic and immersive, and giving you a ton of gameplay options. It seems like with how high production costs are these days, companies are really unwilling to make a game that you can go through while "missing" a substantial portion of it. I played through deus ex a bunch of times, and until the last couple runs I was still finding new and interesting things.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The random MJ 12 guys below Hell's Kitchen, the strange voices of the MiBs, sometimes this game's atmosphere is just too damn impressive for being a ten year old game.

DozingDragon on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is utterly ruined for me by insane mouse acceleration. WHY UNREALENGINE WHYYYYYYYY

Isn't there a fix for it in the OP? Something about the game running too fast on modern rigs?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's not running fast. Basically what happens is unless you activate a setting called direct input - which disables the mouse in menus and your inventory, making the game an ache - you get absolutely insane mouse acceleration on unreal engine games on vista. I've googled around for some time and been unable to find a satisfactory solution.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This essay is one of the best reads if you want to get an idea of why Deus Ex was so awesome. 10 years on and nothing can really match this game.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why it not quite 'reinstalling it', I might track down a copy of the PS2 verison again.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh, what a coincidence. Tonight I'll be playing this game for the first time ever.

Muddy Water on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why it not quite 'reinstalling it', I might track down a copy of the PS2 verison again.

Please don't, buy it on steam and play it how it was meant to be played.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Please don't, buy it on steam and play it how it was meant to be played.

I did. It was okay, but I also did fairly well on the old PS2 version. I like the extra little load areas, like the Liberty Vistor center, etc that added ambience to the game.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh, what a coincidence. Tonight I'll be playing this game for the first time ever.

I wish I could be you.

And that's not some derisive bullshit, I sincerely wish I could play Deus Ex again "for the first time". It's that damned good.

Enjoy it. Savour it as you would a fine wine.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited January 2010
    10 years on and nothing can really match this game.

VTM Bloodlines is vastly better as an immersive RPG and experience imo.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    VTM is also great, but I wouldn't say that it's vastly better (or even better at all.)

It's crazy that I almost still want to install and take another run at this game, even though I've played it to death and I know I'll get bord somewhere in the middle of hell's kitchen

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This thread needs more Orange, all I see is Lemon Lime.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited January 2010
    VTM is also great, but I wouldn't say that it's vastly better (or even better at all.)

It's not better overall, but it's much more immersive (while it lasts).

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    While VTM followed a similar model, and was at times very immersive (hello observatory), I don't think it matched Deus Ex's story and progression.

It's definitely one of my favorites since Deus Ex, though, which is saying a lot.

LavaKnight on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

I've been playing Deus Ex for the first time as well, and I have to agree.

I like the dialogue segments, but so far, I'm not too fond of the gameplay. It could change, though. I'm just having a hard time with the Statue.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't help but listen to that orchestrated theme on loop...

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I like the dialogue segments, but so far, I'm not too fond of the gameplay. It could change, though. I'm just having a hard time with the Statue.

Stick with it. Once you level up a bit, find some good Augs and get some weapons upgraded it all starts to flow much better.

Drake on
    edited January 2010
    I always kind of felt sorry for the tiny cleaning bots.

Didn't stop me from chasing them from time to time though.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's terror.

Old men... are the future.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    How about that voice acting in Hong Kong.

Deus Ex is great, except when its terrible.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Stick with it. Once you level up a bit, find some good Augs and get some weapons upgraded it all starts to flow much better.

Funny thing about Deus Ex, if you're not fond of the game play change the way you're playing the game.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2010

Also Halo is a much better first person shooter.

I mean while we're bringing up the most vaguely related games and all. Dead Rising was a much better free roaming zombie sim also.

Tube on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's him. He's a cop.

*thwip*

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! Euuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaggh

Great, great game, but some of the worst VA ever. There are so many moments where you can tell the VA had no direction, they were basically guessing as to the correct inflection to put on their lines. And there is a lot of dialogue that is poorly read, period - like the NSF leader at the top of the statue of liberty. And the terrible foreign accents.

But yeah, still so immersive. I remember after finally crawling out of the sewers and arriving at the airport feeling like I'd been through an ordeal and that the end of the game must be near...

Also, the hell's kitchen music is so catchy.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I don't know how any can complain about the voice acting in a game where the lead role is played by Jake from the California Dreams.

Don't wake me uuuuuuuuup...

Tube on
  • Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My kingdom for an HD remake of Deus Ex.
    I will gladly pay millions for it.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
    edited January 2010
    I mean while we're bringing up the most vaguely related games and all. Dead Rising was a much better free roaming zombie sim also.

You mean other first person RPG/FPS hybrids with extensive character customisation and a choice-based story?

O

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited January 2010
    I was suprised by the VA in the nameless mod, it's all pretty well done.

mere_immortal on
    edited January 2010

You mean other first person RPG/FPS hybrids with extensive character customisation and a choice-based story?

O

Bloodlines has only the vaguest pretensions to being an FPS, and Deus Ex has only the vaguest pretensions to being an RPG. The "choice based story" in Deus Ex is limited to which ending you pick. The two games have completely different gameplay, completely different settings and I find comparisons between the two to be pretty strained. They're both excellent games, but they're not similar games.

Tube on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I'm playing VTM at the moment, and while I'm finding it impressive how the RPG element is worked into the game, it isn't even coming close to comparing to Deus Ex to me. Sure, the VA work is a helluva lot better, but the overwhelmingly pretentious vampire stuff (a seduce skill? Really?), though still funny as it tries to take itself seriously, is really starting to bug me. I just get so tired of hearing how weak and stupid humans are, yet the vampires are all quaking in their boots at slightest possibility of humans discovering them. Plus, Deus Ex never handed me missions where I just wanted them to be over already, but VTM has handed me at least a couple of those. The monsters in the sewers section is just boring and terrible and for some reason is the longest mission yet. And because it's stereotypical vampire fiction, everyone is screwing everyone over and you know from the start that you can't really trust anybody. While I certainly wouldn't object to more games following the example of VTM in terms of RPG design, it isn't a Deus Ex competitor to me.

It was pretty funny when I scared an old lady into a heart attack, though.

So what is this nameless mod? This is the first I'm hearing of it. I haven't played Deus Ex in a little while so I suppose I could give it a shot.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why has this not been posted yet?A Bomb!

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Much like Deus Ex(reportedly anyway), V:TM has many, many ways to resolve a given situation. Especially through dialogue. There's so many ways a conversation can turn out, like through the aforementioned seduction option.

Or if you want to just waltz in and turn everyone to dust, you can do that too.

And yeah, everyone hates the sewers.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Why has this not been posted yet?A Bomb!
    It was. In the OP.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited January 2010
    They're both excellent games, but they're not similar games.

Dudemanbro, they are really similar.

They have almost identical shooting mechanics (skill increases accuracy represented by a similarly styled moving crosshair), they have almost identical problem-solving mechanics (lockpicking, hacking, sneaking etc etc) and a similarly open-ended approach to "questing". They even are both fully voice-acted!

I mean, if I was picking the closest game to VTM Bloodlines it would probably be deus ex.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited January 2010
    By that logic Dragon Age is also similar to Deus Ex. They both have voice acting! And quests! And lockpicking!

Tube on
    edited January 2010
    By that logic Dragon Age is also similar to Deus Ex. They both have voice acting! And quests! And lockpicking!

And dragon age is not directly controlled first person with shooting or a classless development system and has an alignment meter and................

It's cool you think they're not similar, but by every normal measurement they really are very similar. Plenty of VTM B reviews at the time even mentioned how like Deus Ex it was. The idea that the comparison to VTM is remotely like a comparison to halo is pretty silly.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What a shame.

TychoCelchuuu on
This discussion has been closed.