As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NBA Jam Returns! Wii version out now! 360/PS3 versions out today.

FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
NBA JAM (EA Edition) Thread

jamthreadoverwatch.jpg

It's on fire! That means it's EXTREME and probably not allowed by NBA regulation rules.

Platforms

Wii (OUT NOW): 50$ Disc Title. Single player, Co-op, Remix mode, the works. Does not have online because they could not get the online running at a locked 60fps.

360/PS3 (UNKNOWN HOLIDAY DATE): Retail title. Could be anywhere from 40-60$. Will have online mode, but EA will probably shut that off after one or two years just like all their other games. Online mode may be limited to 30fps.

So if you want to wait for the 360/PS3 version just for online, be warned about the limited online life of EA titles, if that is your sole reason for purchasing that version.

Wait, I thought the original was done by Midway. How did EA get ahold of this?

Unlike other sports leagues, the NBA retains the rights themselves to all NBA games.

What does this game look like?

EA wanted to have a modern game but mimic the original photographed sprite style of the original game. So what you end up with is this:
nba-jam-20100714021814214.jpg

Each player has a fully 3D modeled body just like every new NBA game, but their heads are sprites that change expressions as a reaction to what is currently going on.
nba-jam-20100714021819760.jpg

"I bet they just did that to get it run on the Wii".

No.

Game Modes
nba-jam-20100806041013979.jpg
More ass shots than Halo: Reach

Backboard Smash

Everything is the same, except for one twist - no score. Each hoop at the end of the court has a health bar. Slam dunking that hoop will drop the health bar. The first team to reduce the other hoop's lifebar to zero and slam dunk it to death with an explosion wins the game.

Remix Mode

It's like basketball. If you played it inside Mario Kart. Reviews are kind of up and down on this one, but I enjoyed it for a bit.

Boss Battles

Go after your favorite (or hated) ballin' stars for a chance at revenge, or just beat the poo out of them. Larry Bird can cheat and throw 3 pointers from anywhere. Magic Johnson can magically teleport into the hoop to dunk it. Clearly someone let the Darksims from Perfect Dark into this game.

Secret Characters

This game has secret characters just like the original! Including a shitton of politicians this time around. Mr G has your back:
Mr. G wrote: »
Hey, who wants to unlock

DEMOCRATS
On the Press A To Start screen, press Left 13 times, and then +. They will be unlocked in the + screen in Team Select.

REPUBLICANS
On the Press A To Start screen, press Right 13 times, and then +. They will be unlocked in the + screen in Team Select.

J COLE AND 9TH WONDER (WHO ARE THEY? I DON'T KNOW!)
On the Press A To Start screen, press Up, Left, Down, Right Up, Left, Down, Right, 1, and 2. They will be unlocked in the + screen in Team Select.

Democrats team lets you select Obama, Biden, Bill and others. Team GOP has Bush, Cheney, and Palin and even a McCain!

Also JAM SECRETS:
The Limited Edition Team of Michael Jordan and Gary Payton

"Payton didn't make the cut to be in the (first arcade) game, and of course, Jordan pulled himself out of the licensing of the NBA, so we had to pull him out of the game," explained Turmell. "But one day, I got a phone call from a distributor out on the west coast who told me that Gary Payton was willing to pay whatever it cost to get into the game. So we told him what to do in terms of taking photographs, so he sent in photographs of himself and Jordan, saying, "We want to be in the game, hook us up." So we actually did a special version of the game and gave both players all-star, superstar stats. There are only a handful of these machines, but Jordan and Payton did end up being in one version of the game."
The Pippen Jinx

Did Scottie Pippen's ratings really drop when he played certain teams or was I just the least clutch shooter every time I played Detroit? "It's true, but only when the Bulls played the Pistons," explained Turmell. "If there was a close game and anyone on the Bulls took a last second shot, we wrote special code in the game so that they would average out to be bricks. There was the big competition back in the day between the Pistons and the Bulls, and since I was always a big Pistons fan, that was my opportunity to level the playing field."

FyreWulff on

• The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BOOM SHAKA LAKA!!!!!

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    I still love that the devs sabatoged the game for his team.

FyreWulff on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sucks that it's Wii-only, but whatever

They've tried reviving it in the past with little success

UnbreakableVow on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They just need to find a way to turn it into the basketball version of NFL Blitz, and everything will be just dandy.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HE'S ON FIIIIIRE

IT MUST BE THE SHOES

There, that's my contribution to this thread

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited January 2010

I seem to remember that the last company that tried to revive it was Acclaim

that might have had something to do with it

FyreWulff on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I loved Jam when I was a kid. I never did the arcade version though. I believe I rocked the SNES.

remlap13 on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HE'S HEATING UP!

edit - HE'S GOING DOOOOWNTOOOOOWN

ok now i think they've all been said

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I seem to remember that the last company that tried to revive it was Acclaim

that might have had something to do with it

And this new one is done by EA Sports, which doesn't fill me with confidence for a "fun" sports game since they haven't made one since NBA Street Vol. 2.

Played 3-on-3 NHL on XBLA/PSN? It's horrid.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hncvGSwO1-E

Loved it. Sad it's only gonna go to the Wii. :|

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited January 2010
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/105/1058039p1.html

EA confirms the game will be shown on the 11th.

FyreWulff on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I still have a copy of the 32x version of NBA JAM TE sitting on my shelf. Needless to say, I'm excited.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I miss NFL Blitz.

I do find NFL Madden Arcade to be a suitable substitute though.

I play that game far too much.

Anybody else play?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bought. Maybe even twice.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    IS IT THE SHOES?

No! It's the socks!

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I still love that the devs sabatoged the game for his team.

Explain?

Edit - Oh wait, bottom of the OP. Fuck that's awesome, even if childish. <_<

Henroid on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wasn't the last gen JAM game not so good?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited January 2010
    The last one was for N64. And it was made by Acclaim.

FyreWulff on
  • ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    RAZZLE DAZZLE! (my personal fave)

Hopefully they still have the guys who made NBA Street - that series was very fun and pretty similar to NBA Jam in style, play and outlandishness.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    At least Mark Turmell and some of the old crew are on this one.

This and Arch Rivals are the only basketball games I've ever liked. I mainly played this one as a result of it being a part of the Blockbuster World Video Game Championships one year.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fresh Prince and Bill Clinton or get fuck out.

OH MY!!!

Zxerol on
  • BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I would love an exact arcade port of the original Jams or Showtimes. I remember going to Circus Circus after school let out, here in Vegas, getting a $4.00 buffet with my buddies and spending every penny I had on this game.

Broktune on
  • A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm excited.

"HE'S HEATING UP!"

But here is to hoping the game really keeps to it's old-school roots. Like, that it could just be played with a remote turned sideways, and not with impossible waggle controls.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ive also noticed the key words - retail release - in that announcement.

I do have a Wii, and will get this no matter what, but I would much, much, rather purchase it for XBLA so I can play online constantly.

And if there's any way it can still have Rick Smits, I'd like to show you all what the Dunkin' Dutchman can really do.

THATS THE NAIL IN THE COFFIN!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Goddamn you Nintendo and EA, putting out bait that looks suspiciously like childhood memories.

Amazingly fun game.

Dunxco on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Fresh Prince and Bill Clinton or get fuck out.

OH MY!!!

I doubt Clinton; wouldn't doubt Obama on fire, though. But who would replace Will Smith, if anyone?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I still propose that NBA hang time was still fuckawesome.

Also, there better not be any of this 'And 1' nonsense.
    Keep that bullshit in NBA Street.

NBA Jam is all about turbo, flying dunks and shooting flaming 3's 'FROM DOOOOWN TOOOOOWN!'

delphinus on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The cheat code where you could dunk from across the fucking court was retarded and completely awesome. Especially when you do it with someone like Stockton, who seemed like he was three feet tall in the game.

Zxerol on
    edited January 2010
    Apparently it's announcement was going to be today. Saw this on the comments on it:
    Seriously, man, it's quite clear that if this game is to succeed on any level, even on the Wii, it's going to need a robust online mode.

I still like people that think that online is vital to any games sales, and continue to ignore the fact that not even Halo has more than 10% of it's copies online.

And you know, NSMB Wii is sure flying off the shelves because of it's online functionality..

FyreWulff on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have a friend who earnestly told me he'd buy a Wii before this game came out. Just for NBA Jam.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So in for this game.

George Clinton, Bill Clinton, the baby, the guy with the mustache and the derby, oh my god I loved this game so much! At the very very least this game needs Dick Vitale to do the announcer's voice.

wusoldjr on
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Still no screenshots, sure they'll leak soon from the magazine if not on the official site.

NP251_cover.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    NBA Jam as a Wii exclusive = :(

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    wusoldjr wrote: »
    So in for this game.

George Clinton, Bill Clinton, the baby, the guy with the mustache and the derby, oh my god I loved this game so much! At the very very least this game needs Dick Vitale to do the announcer's voice.

Whaaat? You mean Marv Albert.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think I'm responsible for at least half the google searches in the last year of this game so I claim some responsibility for this being made.

Its so great, in just every way. That cover shot makes me hopeful that they are doing the right thing and sticking to a 2d perspective. Don't even talk about the playstation era remakes by Acclaim, they are so far removed from what the game really is. The original guy who championed this game is consulting so I think it really has a chance.

HD sprites and online play via PSN or XBOX would have probably been what I really wanted but Nintendo and Jam feel so right together.

Here's hoping that none of the big name players withold their image like Jordan and Payton did for the original. (I don't think they can actually anymore but who knows.)
    TelMarine wrote: »
    wusoldjr wrote: »
    So in for this game.

Whaaat? You mean Marv Albert.

Dick Vitale's voice would sink this game so fast ugh, the original guy was a Marv Albert impersonator so if he's still got it that will work. If not the NHL 3 vs 3 guy could be a hilarious stand-in. Marv Albert's kind of a creep so doubtful he comes in and does it justice.

redraptor on
    edited January 2010
    redraptor wrote: »
    Here's hoping that none of the big name players withold their image like Jordan and Payton did for the original. (I don't think they can actually anymore but who knows.)
    I thought it wasn't them withholding but that they weren't part of the NBA Players licensing body. Ala Bonds pulling out of the MLB Players Association so any baseball game would have to negotiate directly with him to include his likeness.

ed. from the ESPN article
    Jordan pulled himself out of the licensing of the NBA, so we had to pull him out of the game

[O]ne day, I got a phone call from a distributor out on the West Coast who told me that Gary Payton was willing to pay whatever it cost to get into the game. So we told him what to do in terms of taking photographs, so he sent in photographs of himself and Jordan, saying, 'We want to be in the game, hook us up.' So we actually did a special version of the game and gave both players all-star, superstar stats. There are only a handful of these machines, but Jordan and Payton did end up being in one version of the game.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    redraptor wrote: »
    HD sprites and online play via PSN or XBOX would have probably been what I really wanted but Nintendo and Jam feel so right together.

warioland: shake it, great example of crazily good 2D. I wouldn't mind this being 2D either, but what they probably will do is 3D cartoonish look.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah they eventually made their own personal version. I don't know the exact legalities of the original stuff of course.

But yea, I'd love to see a ton of old players as hidden charactes as well. It'd be nice to ditch the massive button combos to play as them as well please.

redraptor on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wii Exclusive: NBA Jam Returns to Make Sports Games Fun Again

Ahahahahaha, what a great tag line. Should be the threads title.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited January 2010
    Oh shit if this is the art style, awesome. Probably just concept art but would be great to have the real headshots with exaggerated facial expressions. Which fits with KG's floating head on the cover saying "he's on fire!"

Background: Nintendo Power's website always includes a 2-page pdf preview of their magazine. This image was originally in the pdf, then censored, then replaced with a crop of the cover.

2zp4n7t.jpg

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg