As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EQ] Free EverQuest Classic Server - It's Good To Be Back

• Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm fairly certain that if I did not have a real-life friend get me into EverQuest (And actually purchase the game box and my first 3 months for me, woot) I might have never gotten past level 2 in that game.

Having him there to occasionally drop hints, tell me where to go to level, what to kill, where to get groups and drop the random piece of "twink" gear on me, made all the difference in the world.
    We would play all night and get breakfast together in the morning, talking about the events of the night before staggering home to pass out.

It -was- revoltingly unfriendly to newbies, and what is kind of sad now is, the game is much better now in the sense that you have a newbie area where you can obtain levels and gear up to like 10 or so before you're thrust into the massive world that EQ is, but due to the seriously outdated graphics and combat scheme, I would be surprised to see if that game gets more than a hundred new, devoted players a year.

The game as it stands now, even being more newbie friendly, is horrifically overwhelming.
    What is the level cap, now? 85?
    It's not like WoW's level 80 cap that you can get to in a few months of serious play, less for a more devoted or knowledgable player.

I have no idea what the leveling curve is for EQ these days, but I imagine it could still take you years to cap without a little PL help. And then there is gearing, God knows what kind of requirements for current raiding.
    That's some seriously daunting shit, and I really can't imagine any gamer starting up an EQ account and actually trying to catch up to the masses that still play.

Hell, I still have my account with my 70 dwarf rogue, and I can't imagine trying to go back and get caught up to raid again.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that if I did not have a real-life friend get me into EverQuest (And actually purchase the game box and my first 3 months for me, woot) I might have never gotten past level 2 in that game.

Having him there to occasionally drop hints, tell me where to go to level, what to kill, where to get groups and drop the random piece of "twink" gear on me, made all the difference in the world.
    We would play all night and get breakfast together in the morning, talking about the events of the night before staggering home to pass out.

It -was- revoltingly unfriendly to newbies, and what is kind of sad now is, the game is much better now in the sense that you have a newbie area where you can obtain levels and gear up to like 10 or so before you're thrust into the massive world that EQ is, but due to the seriously outdated graphics and combat scheme, I would be surprised to see if that game gets more than a hundred new, devoted players a year.

The game as it stands now, even being more newbie friendly, is horrifically overwhelming.
    It's not like WoW's level 80 cap that you can get to in a few months of serious play, less for a more devoted or knowledgable player.

I have no idea what the leveling curve is for EQ these days, but I imagine it could still take you years to cap without a little PL help. And then there is gearing, God knows what kind of requirements for current raiding.
    That's some seriously daunting shit, and I really can't imagine any gamer starting up an EQ account and actually trying to catch up to the masses that still play.

Hell, I still have my account with my 70 dwarf rogue, and I can't imagine trying to go back and get caught up to raid again.

Hence why I play on a classic server. Fuuuuuuck all that shit.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »

Srsly.

MANASTONES GUYS

Shogun on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This sounds like too much fun to pass up, plus it runs on my macbook which is a plus.

I guess I should really read up on what is and is not in this version. I created a level 1 halfling druid and made the run through Kiticor to freeport only to find that there are no soulbinders in this version....oops.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would love to play release-era EQ again.

Grabbing 3-4 levels in a few hours (which was INSANE back in the days of hell levels) and getting your rep up by stealthing and buying as many Tumpy Tonics as possible in the dwarf town, then turning them in to the lady who pops up for a couple minutes every hour in the bar at the dock in Freeport. Having an ogre freely walking around Freeport was nice....well, most of Freeport.

I want to collect another set of Rubicite armor.

Also, to kill that high levelled gryphon that killed me so many times in the beginning area....South something? Karanas?

No trade channel or bazaar or anything....everyone met at the cave between the two zones and spammed their wares.

Jumping off the boat in the middle of the ocean and killing mermaids....

Heck, I even miss the original UI, complete with spell book covering the screen whenever you meditate. I bet I could still draw a pixel perfect picture of that, even though I haven't touched EQ in a decade.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    mantis23 wrote: »
    This sounds like too much fun to pass up, plus it runs on my macbook which is a plus.

I guess I should really read up on what is and is not in this version. I created a level 1 halfling druid and made the run through Kiticor to freeport only to find that there are no soulbinders in this version....oops.

Haha, nice. :) Luckily, I can bind you whenever you need it (though I'm based out of Freeport at the moment, rocking Befallen).

What's your character's name?

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I used to play EQ years ago and may even have the disk somewhere but not at my current place. Do I need to own the game/disk or is everything I need downloadable for free? (those links are blocked)

If I can go home from work and start downloading everything I need IT WILL BE DONE! I played a Wood Elf Druid and loved it. In every game since I have tried to recreate the experiance and never really got close.

Are there a lot of people playing on this server? Do we have a Penny Arcade guild? What else do I need to lookout for? What's the economy like?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can download the EverQuest Titanium client, if you can find it somewhere.

There are a lot of players on this server for something that's not official. :) Peaks on the weekend around 350+, and because it's only the classic zones, there's always plenty of groups around. I'd like to see the server grow by about another 200 people or so, so for those of you who are joining in, get the word out! I'm sure plenty of your friends that played EQ back in the day are up for some nostalgia, if nothing more.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shogun wrote: »

Srsly.

MANASTONES GUYS

SOMEBODY MAEK RODS DAMMIT

Old-school mages had it rough.

zilo on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dont have a titanium disk. I do have the original EQ disk and all expansions up to velious though I think. Will those work?

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I dont have a titanium disk. I do have the original EQ disk and all expansions up to velious though I think. Will those work?

According to the EqEmu website you need either Titanium or Secrets of Faydwer.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    For this server specifically, they really want Titanium.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Installed last night and got it working. Haven't decided on a character yet. I was once an Erudite Shadowknight on both Prexus and Firiona Vie, but not sure I want to go the tank route (although nothing was cooler than the Erudite Shadowknight because I was one of about 10 on either one of those servers). Might go Enchanter, as they can solo via charm and are well liked in groups. Once I decided, I'll let you know the name/class.

Haven't played since about 2002 (started in 1999 about a month after the game came out). Was fun to see the old zones. Still knew my way around pretty well in Paineel and Freeport.

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I no have titanium or that expansion. Boo. I was going to give this a shot too. Oh well.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mantis23 wrote: »

Haha, nice. :) Luckily, I can bind you whenever you need it (though I'm based out of Freeport at the moment, rocking Befallen).

What's your character's name?

Name is Mandarken, level 1 halfling druid. I'll be running around freeport a bit tonight.

It's surprising how much I remember after not playing for so long. But I still need to relearn the game. I played just as much if not more of EQ2 so I get things mixed up a bit.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Befallen. I thought I was the only one that went in there. It was a nice place to grind out my alts and main when he was that tiny. No one was usually there.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm loggin in as my Druid named: Merlwood. Send me a message in-game. I could use any help. Still getting used to the controls again

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just started, [strike]WE Druid named Velleriand[/strike] Barbarian Rogue named Bloodshed, adding friends now =)

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    badpoet wrote: »
    Installed last night and got it working. Haven't decided on a character yet. I was once an Erudite Shadowknight on both Prexus and Firiona Vie, but not sure I want to go the tank route (although nothing was cooler than the Erudite Shadowknight because I was one of about 10 on either one of those servers). Might go Enchanter, as they can solo via charm and are well liked in groups. Once I decided, I'll let you know the name/class.

Haven't played since about 2002 (started in 1999 about a month after the game came out). Was fun to see the old zones. Still knew my way around pretty well in Paineel and Freeport.

Hell yes, another Firiona Vie player!

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Added you all to the roster. Please make sure to add everyone as friends, and group with us whenever you're high enough to do so. :) Also, if you ever just want to get power leveled, let me know.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Befallen. I thought I was the only one that went in there. It was a nice place to grind out my alts and main when he was that tiny. No one was usually there.

Great place to pick up bone chips too. And, if you've got a level appropriate group, it can be so challenging and fun. Dying and not being able to get back into the locked door is a whole lot of no fun though.

The more I thought about an Erudite SK, the more daunting the prospect of making my way across Antonica to Freeport seems to be.

Still haven't picked a class, been messing around with a few. The Sneak! how long were on you FV? A group of us from Allakhazam's message board went there right after it opened and it was great (even after they took away the language and grouping restrictions).

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wonder if the old warp trick works on that server. Western Karanas? (the one by Qeynos). If you zoned into the zone to the east of it in the river it would port you to the Qeynos zoneline on the other side of the zone.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wonder if the old warp trick works on that server. Western Karanas? (the one by Qeynos). If you zoned into the zone to the east of it in the river it would port you to the Qeynos zoneline on the other side of the zone.

It does not.

Also, I was on Firiona Vie since it opened up, and was there for about... three or four years. Had a character there named Eldayn. No one really knew me or remembers me though. :)

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I played on Sol Ro and then Fennin Ro. Most of my time was on Sol Ro. Hrothgar the Barb Shammy!

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Change out Velleriand for Bloodshed, Barbarian Rogue in the OP.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How are people doing for gear? When I played I got such a majorhook up. But I don't know if the gear is mostly crafted or dropped. I do remember Jasper rings or earrings and some nice crafted leather. Anyone know a good site for leveling up a skill so I can start at a low level?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dyne hooked me up with a kick ass dagger, gloves and sleeves, otherwise I'm getting lots of free buffs from passers-by and selling bone chips for 5pp a stack! Ha!

Edit: Log-in servers are down =(

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    gonna be rolling this weekend. name will be grumblethorn.

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    TylanthusTylanthus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Solusek Ro was a great server :)

I'm going to try and get this running... simply running around the Kelethin newbie area will be worth the cost of the client to me.

Tylanthus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I was tying to look up items and crafting. I figured the best way to get some items is to learn to craft it yourself. I found a nice low level set but after reading some comments it says it's racial crafting and I am the right race/deity but is that even on the server at this point?

Allakazam seems like the go to site but unless you pay they limit what you can look at and it's really shitty.

Sorry if I'm bringing a slight WoW mindset back to oldschool EQ. I can't help but think I should be trying to get gear with stats as soon as possible. Please tell me I'm completely wrong and I'll go and just get straight leather armor to wear and be happy.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF....

YES

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PS. Woodelf Druid all the way!!! next time you change the roster please update Merlwood.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok im on as Hrothgar the Barb Shaman... this is gonna hurt

It hurt bad... think im gonna try something else for a bit in terms of class.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My Barb Rogue Bloodshed is 9 already, so close to 10.(And Backstab!)

I still haven't figured out, exactly, why I'm having such a good time ;-)

Edit: Jubal, the second you make a Barbarian, you beg a druid or wizard for a port -anywhere- else, lol.
    Everfrost Peaks are the worst area to level.
    Get yourself to West Freeport or Greater Faydark as soon as you can find a port, it makes such a giant difference.
    And don't forget to get bound near town!

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh I remember lol. Its been awhile but I remember. I created a Monk named Baldie to mess around on as well. That was actually the name/class of my very first wow character but that account got taken over from an ex long ago heh.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I made a Rogue because this server is real heavy on casters, but my next is def gonna be a Shaman.
    They're beloved in groups and solo extremely well.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Welcome aboard. :) Please make sure to add everyone on the roster to your friends list for grouping, and you'll see me a lot in OOC chat!

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    ProsperoProspero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would love to play EQ, again, but I do not know if my eyes could handle the graphics at this point.

Despite how "elite" the game may have been, though, it had the best community I have ever seen (people actually wanting to help people, what is this madness?!). Too bad this genre is moving away from building community and having people socialize and making it into a selfish affair. Damn, I really want to play after thinking about it.

Prospero on
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am working on getting EQ Titanium. I will be Bearfist the Barb Shaman.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am catching up to you, Sneak!

Bloodshed on
This discussion has been closed.