As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WIP] Worldbuilder RPG

SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Critical Failures
Worldbuilder is a shared world building game, based on other similar games like Lords of Creation and Dawn of Worlds, but with my own take on the genre.

Worldbuilder (ver 0.4a)

Introduction
Worldbuilder is a shared world building game, which can help a novice game master or novelist create a fantasy setting from scratch. The players take on the roles of primordial entities that use their powers to sculpt the world and shape civilization.

What do I need to play?
Worldbuilder requires only a few things: a large blank map, a ruler, two six sided dice, some scratch paper and a pencil. The game can also be played using a computer and any kind of drawing software. Worldbuilder works best if you use a large hex grid, but can still be played if all you have is a ruler. You also need a group of players, one of whom can be assigned role of the Narrator, to settle any arguments or conflicts about the rules, but the role is not required. In the absence of a Narrator, at any point the Primordials are in disagreement, flip a coin, roll a die, or take a vote to resolve the conflict.

Maps & Themes
The first task is to decide what kind of map to use and what the theme of the world will be. Worldbuilder has two map types: Standard and Tabula Rasa. Standard games begin with a map that has a coastline already drawn by the Narrator. Each hex inside the coastline defaults to the grasslands terrain and hexes outside the coastline default to ocean. Tabula Rasa means "blank slate". The world is completely barren and devoid of any features or life instead of beginning with a coastline. This type of game can take the longest, because the Primordials are required to sculpt every hex to give shape to the world. This includes raising the land above sea level or deep gulfs between the continents and filling it with water for the oceans and seas.

Theme is a little harder to pin down, so Worldbuilder only provides the tools for two themes: Mundane and Fantasy. Mundane games do not allow the use of Sculpt Climate (magical), Sculpt Terrain (magical), Advance Civilization (Magic), and any Wonder which increases Magic. Fantasy themed games allow the use of all actions.

The Primordials
Each player takes on the role of a primordial entity, choosing an element and an alignment to represent their basic aspects. The combination of the chosen element and alignments helps to give shape to the Primordial and their role in the creation of the world.

Element - Choose one of the following elements: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Wood, or Ice.

Alignment - Choose one of the following alignments as the Major Axis: Law, Good, Neutral, Evil, Chaos. Choose from them again to determine the Minor Axis.

Order of Play
The game is divided into three segments: The Dawn of Creation, the First Age, and the Second Age. Additional ages can be played if the Narrator or players want a more mature world with a rich history or they're just having too much fun running kingdoms and deciding the fate of entire races. The ages are divided into a number of rounds and during each round, the players take turn spending Power to use various actions on the world and creatures living on it. These actions range from shaping the land, raising mountains, trenching rivers, or creating entire races and commanding them to build far reaching civilizations. Each age must last a minimum of ten rounds, though a Tabula Rasa game or large maps require a longer Dawn of Creation age. At the end of each round after ten rounds, the players vote to move on to the next age. The vote does not need to be unanimous, just a majority. In the event of a tie, the player with the most Power decides if the age advances.

The Dawn of Creation - The dawn of creation represents the birth of the world and its shaping. During this age, each round represents roughly a thousand years and shaping the world is as easy as molding putty. However, the creation of intelligent life is difficult and time consuming and fraught with peril as the land itself is warped and twisted.

The First Age - The First Age is the dawn of sentient life and reason. Each round during the First Age is approximately one hundred years. During this age many civilizations may rise and fall and the wonders of the world are often built. The land and climate can still be altered, but it becomes much more difficult as the world has settled into a more enduring shape.

The Second Age - The Second Age represents the height of civilization and society. The Primordials care more about manipulating the people and shaping society than sculpting the world. Each round represents about a decade. Great heroes and leaders arise from the populace and lead their people in war, exploration, diplomacy, faith and more.

Starting Power - Each player begins the game with 2d6 + 8 Power.

Initiative - The order of play is determined by comparing Power totals. The player with the highest Power has the option of going first, but they may choose to go last instead. Doing so is a gamble, but sometimes it's better to conserve your power until you know how your opponents have spent their Power. The round continues to the player with the next highest Power total until all players have acted. There is no limit on the number of actions a player can perform, as long as they have Power available.

Action List
The following list details the actions the Primordials can spend their power on to shape the world and create races, cities, mountains and more. The name of each action is followed by the cost of the action in parentheses. The first number is the cost during the Dawn of Creation, the second number the cost during the First Age, and the last number is the cost during the Second Age.

Shape Land, Mundane (2 / 10 / 20) – The Primordial may remove, alter, or add one of the following terrain types to a single hex: Arctic, Barren, Desert, Forest, Grassland, Hills, Mountains, River, Lake, Sea, Ocean. Each terrain type has a base Population trait.

Shape Land, Magical (3 / 15 / 30) – The Primordial may remove, alter, or add an exotic and magical effect to a single hex. The effects can range from floating mountains, to waterfalls that fall into the sky, or an eternal patch of snow in a desert.

Alter Climate, Magical (3 / 15 / 30) – The Primordial can alter local climate conditions beyond what would normally happen due to the surrounding terrain. This can also be used to create never-ending storms or fields of lightning.

Create Avatar (50 / 50 / 50) – The Avatar of a Primordial is a physical shadow in the world of their true power. Each Avatar has a pool of 10 Power it can spend on Shape Land (Mundane), Shape Land (Magical), and Alter Climate (Magical). This power refreshes at the beginning of the controlling Primordials turn.

Create Faction (30 / 20 / 10) – The Primordial creates one of the following: Guild, Order, Religion, or Sect within a race, city, or another faction. The faction begins at Rank 1 and starts with one Stronghold in the selected town or city. The Primordial can create a secret faction for an additional 10 Power when creating the faction.

Create Race (30 / 10 / 30) – The Primordial shapes the elements of the world into a sentient race and selects one hex. During the next round, the cost of building a Town and upgrading it to a City is halved. Races without a city or town are nomads, brigands, or monsters and may be controlled by the Primordial with the highest ranked faction amongst that Race.

Create Subrace (30 / 10 / 20) – The Primordial creates a cultural, physical, or religious divide within an existing race. The new subrace may or may not live in harmony with their parent race. If they do not, the Primordial that creates the subrace must build a Town or City for the subrace

Advance Faction (5 * Rank / 5 * Rank / 5 * Rank) – Increase the rank of a faction within a City or Town. The player that controls the faction with the highest rank controls the City or Town. In the event of a tie, the Faction that reached the highest rank first controls the City or Town.

Advance City (15 * Rank / 10 * Rank / 5 * Rank) – Increases the rank of one of the following traits: Agriculture, Medicine, Metallurgy, Faith, or Magic up to a maximum of Rank 5. Any Primordial can advance any City.

Advance Town (15 / 10 / 5) – Increases the rank of a Town by one point. At Rank 5, the Town becomes a Rank 1 City. Any Primordial can advance the rank of a Town.

Build Town (20 / 10 / 5) – Creates a Rank 1 Town in an empty hex and may not be built within two hexes of another town or city.

Build Wonder (50 / 50 / 50) – Three Rank 5 Towns controlled by the same Faction or a Rank 5 City can build a Wonder of the World. Each wonder is unique and can only be built once, even if destroyed. Wonders provide a +1 Rank bonus to two different city traits. In a mundane game, there are six wonders and ten in a fantasy game.

Cataclysm (30 / 30 / 30) – Cataclysms come in many forms like tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, firestorms, and more. They can decimate towns and cities, permanently reducing their rank by one point. If they are reduced to Rank 0, they are destroyed and must be rebuilt. Cataclysms can also be used to destroy a Primordial Avatar.

Winds of Fortune (30 / 30 / 30) – Winds of Fortune can be used to negate the effects of a Cataclysm. This power may also be used to temporarily increase one trait of a City, Town, or Faction until the end of the Primordials next turn.

Command City/Town (40 / 20 / 10) – The Primordial which controls the highest ranked faction in a Town or City can command the people of that settlement to perform a variety of actions. These actions are Build Walls (+1 Defense), Build Towers (+1 Attack), and Build Farms (+1 Population). Walls and Towers provide bonuses when armies siege the city and attempt to breach the walls. Cities and Towns may only build farms if the surrounding land is Forest, Hills, or Grasslands.

Raise Army (10 / 5 / 1) – The Primordial commands a Faction to raise an army (1 unit). Cities and Towns can only support units equal to their Population trait. (Population = Base + Agriculture + Farms) For example, a Rank 4 City with Agriculture 3 (+3), four surrounding Farms (+4), in the Forest (+2) can support 9 units. Units above the Population limit can be supported by spending 2 Power per unit above the Population limit. It costs 1 Power per unit to order an attack on an adjacent hex or move to an adjacent hex.

Terrain Base Population & Modifiers
Base Population
Arctic 1
Barren 0
Desert 1
Forest 2
Grassland 4
Hills 2
Mountains 1

Modifiers
Lake +1
River +2
Sea +3
Ocean +4

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
SkyCaptain on

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, this sounds really cool, and I think I could help playtest it if you're doing it on the forum. I'm very interested.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Helix09Helix09 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sounds interesting. I'll certainly be lurking.

Helix09 on
    D&D setting work in Progress: http://infernalcity.wikispaces.com/
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks interesting, I'd probably be in for a playtest of some kind, although depending on the time frame my internet access might be intermittent; I'm leaving for a week in about a week, although I'll probably still be around a little in the evenings.

Might help to generate interest if you posted a more detailed ruleset as far as turn order and what one does in a turn and so forth, even if it's just a WIP sketchout.

Abbalah on
  • Options
    Helix09Helix09 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Re advice: I know Something Awful has a longish running forum game based around countries in GBS. Birthright rules sound fine as long as you ditch the crazy magic/ley line system.

Helix09 on
    D&D setting work in Progress: http://infernalcity.wikispaces.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Basically each player takes turn spending Power on actions like Scupt Land (mundane), Sculpt Climate (magical), Create Avatar, Command Avatar, etc to create a world. You also create races and command them to build cities, raise walls, build wonders of the world and more. You can even send your people to do battle against other races.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is this intended to be a board game, card game, or RPG?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So how does Power work? You gave a Power amount in the description; is that all you get, or do you get that much each turn, or does it work more like an RTS-style resource, where you spend power on things that generate a stream of power over time?

Abbalah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well this sucks: worldbuilder.wikidot.com is taken already. I figured worldbuilder.com would be as well. It's a shame there are so many good domains that are just being paid for and not used to "protect" some asset.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a different name for this type of game? The inspiration for this came from the Dawn of Worlds pdf that's floating around on the net and I recently came across another similar version called Lords of Creation. So those two are definitely out.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Worldbuilerpg.com or Worldbuilderpg.wikidot.com.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That might work. It is really being designed for use with an RPG. You get your players to be the "gods" in your campaign setting and they help create the history and events that shape the world. This gives them insight into what's happening in the world and gives them an investment into the setting. A vested interest in playing.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I totally dig these types of games, I'll read more into it later today and see if I can help.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, I just updated the OP with the latest version of the rules. I'm going to open up a recruitment thread for a D&D 4th edition campaign that starts using the Worldbuilder RPG. Hopefully the players will have more of a vested interest in the game since they helped create the world their characters will be adventuring in. I'll probably use this thread to discuss the rules.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thought you might want to know www.creationrpg.com is available.

Its pretty simple at to the point.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks, but I'm gonna forego a website for now. Just not worth the money. :mrgreen:

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ooh ooh. School just started but I still want in.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This seems interesting. Do you already have a chart regarding power expenditure ? And power gain ? I would guess that power cost of a specific action is dependant on a Primordial Element/Alignment. Much easier to create an active chain of volcanoes if you happen to be a Chaotic Fire God.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This seems interesting. Do you already have a chart regarding power expenditure ? And power gain ? I would guess that power cost of a specific action is dependant on a Primordial Element/Alignment. Much easier to create an active chain of volcanoes if you happen to be a Chaotic Fire God.
    I'm putting together a list of the actions first and then I'll include benefits and drawbacks based on elements and alignments after that.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    any progress on this? Need help with anything?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Updated the first post with actions.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Still watching this with interest.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    cool. Anything else you might need help with? this project interests me greatly.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just transferred to third shift at work, so it'll be a week or two before I settle into a routine schedule. I'll probably start a play-by-post game once my infractions expire.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Let me know when that happens, I'd love to play.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Krosius wrote: »
    Let me know when that happens, I'd love to play.

yes this.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, I figured out how to make this work online.

http://www.inkwellideas.com/roleplaying_tools/hexographer/index.shtml

Going to start taking applications soon. Basically, you can save the map as an .hxm file and pass it around to the players. I'll work on setting up a wiki site to store the rules and turn information and the map file since we can't keep attachments here.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Fuck. Work blocks the Hexographer app now. Guess I need to spend the money for the pro-version so I can run it offline using a flashdrive.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sounds far to complex for me, so i'll be lurking.

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's actually not very complex. You just spend points on actions and roll dice using stats. I could probably simplify the advancements and population ranks, but I wanted to make it an actual game and not just a world building tool. A game with clarified rules for conflict between the races and the proxies of the primordials.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So after actually reading the OP a bit more closely I think i'd be up for it as well.

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    yes! I had forgotten about this.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Heh, me too sorta. I have three projects I'm working on right now (Wolrdbuilder, Monsters & Mayhem, and my Heaven's Gate campaign setting) and I work on them in spurts. I'll get a ton of shit done in a couple weeks and then refine it the next couple weeks and then move on again. It kinda sucks.

SkyCaptain on