As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions, Discussion, and Tutorials

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Man I'd really like to do concept work for games, etc. But I don't even know what kind of background I'd need to get into that. Or if I even have the potential to be good at it in terms of making it a career. I'm assuming I'd need to be able to do a little of everything, to best communicate the ideas I'm trying to get accross. What would be some of the main things I need to practice? At least to get started?

Also, anyone have any tips on learning to do figure drawings? I can't afford, nor do I have time for, classess. I tried teaching myself out of a book, but the book I have (and others I flipped through) still rely on having models for reference. I have some friends willing to pose, but I'd feel bad getting them to do that and then producing garbage. I'd like to get some skill before subjecting my friends to that.

Are you kinda new to drawing in general?
    I forgot I posted that. No I'm not new to drawing in general. But I am new in the sense that I'm self taught and have had no formal lessons, so actual techniques and what not are new to me. I have a thread floating around somewhere you can check out and judge my crappiness.

EDIT: Here it is.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm having a bit of a soul-search right now.
    Spoiler'd my meandering backstory to this question:
    I'm about to finish college for broadcast radio, and I'm doing really well with it.
    On Wednesday there's a vote to see if the province's college teachers union will go on strike. It's not looking like the strike, if it happens, will go on for too long, but there's a chance that it could push the duration of the semester past the duration of my stay at residence, in which case I'd sorta be stuck for finishing the program.
    What I'm thinking about is maybe finding my way into an art school and taking it seriously.
    Should I?
    Or should I maybe just take some classes somewhere?
    I've made it as far as I have on my own, but I don't really know if I'm really all that far.
    If school goes as planned here, I can always go to art school someplace and work part time at a local radio station. I don't want to ditch broadcasting, I just want to further enhance my art.

Nic on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aside from that very well-written beginner's book in the OP, what should I be looking at to get into design? It's something I've been interested in for some time, but never thought to persue.

It's mostly because I write a lot of short articles that I think would work better presented in an e-zine format, but I also want to be able to help my mom out (editing business) when she gets a client who needs design work done.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nic wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of a soul-search right now.
    Spoiler'd my meandering backstory to this question:
    I'm about to finish college for broadcast radio, and I'm doing really well with it.
    On Wednesday there's a vote to see if the province's college teachers union will go on strike. It's not looking like the strike, if it happens, will go on for too long, but there's a chance that it could push the duration of the semester past the duration of my stay at residence, in which case I'd sorta be stuck for finishing the program.
    What I'm thinking about is maybe finding my way into an art school and taking it seriously.
    Should I?
    Or should I maybe just take some classes somewhere?
    I've made it as far as I have on my own, but I don't really know if I'm really all that far.
    If school goes as planned here, I can always go to art school someplace and work part time at a local radio station. I don't want to ditch broadcasting, I just want to further enhance my art.

I'm pretty sure if the strike goes ahead, they will work something out with the residences (assuming you're staying at one of the lovely Motel 6-esque rezes that Ontario provides).

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    edit: You know I really ought to start googling some of this shit before I ask dumbass questions.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i know there is a rule about creating new threads when you want to commision work, but is there actually a written rule so far about offering commissions in your own art thread?

i mean i'm not thinking of doing it, but bomb's comment in seraph989's new thread implies it is verboten, and i don't remember seeing many more comments about it in the AC as a whole

like i assume it isn't okay to start a thread just to say "GIVE ME MONEY", but if you are posting your own developmental work and images alongside offering commissions, is that a problem?

edit: i guess it might fall under "Site-whoring, plugging, or advertising of your personal website, product, or webcomic any kind will not be tolerated", but if you're not expecting anyone to go to your personal site or anything is it as much of a problem?

Fletcher on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I don't see a problem with it as long as it's not the primary goal of your thread. You can put a link in your sig too.

bombardier on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ah cool!

it is good to know that perhaps at some point in the future i could make money from my chicken-scratchings :P

Fletcher on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If I wanted to tell artists that I have an idea I would like to hire/make a deal with artists about, would this be considered as advertising or too close to promoting your business? Or would it be o.k as long as it wasn't the main topic of the thread? Or could you actually go as far as starting a thread which is like "hey guys this is my idea, is anyone interested?"?

Johannen on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys, so I am sitting here with a folder full of paintings and illustrations and pictures etc on my computer and a copy of photoshop and dreamweaver.

My Goal: make a simple portfolio website with like a title screen with my name and a painting or something, then a gallery of thumbnails. Your standard portfolio site that everyone has.

My Problem: I have no clue where to even begin, definitely regretting not taking a web design class.

I have been googling for a while, but cant seem to find a straight forward simple tutorial for a portfolio site.

If anybody can point me in the right direction or send me a link i will be very grateful. <3

Obilex on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I found Dreamweaver to be clunky and it generally made everything take 5x longer than if I just coded it myself.

You can peek at my very simple HTML and CSS to get an idea of whether or not it's worth going the notepad route: http://mkronline.com/newsitepants/

MKR on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Johannen wrote: »
    If I wanted to tell artists that I have an idea I would like to hire/make a deal with artists about, would this be considered as advertising or too close to promoting your business? Or would it be o.k as long as it wasn't the main topic of the thread? Or could you actually go as far as starting a thread which is like "hey guys this is my idea, is anyone interested?"?

It'd probably be best to bring it up and discuss it in the chat thread. Generally starting a new thread with no art in it is frowned upon.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is there a place where I can find lighting examples? The only light I have access to is the sun and ordinary spherical ones. I don't think I can't learn much from only two sorts of lighting. :D

MKR on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    After more looking, I stumbled across this easy, to the point web gallery tutorial on youtube.

It uses Photoshop's Web gallery function which i didnt even know existed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MOKI-Q6bBI

for anyone that might want it.

Obilex on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gang, if I were to avail myself of a cheapo T-shirt printing outfit, probably a PoD sort of setup, who would you recommend? I've got something I basically want to do as an in-joke with some folks; nothing real.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My sister has been ordering from a friend's cafe press with some success lately. CP used to be terrible garbage but is apparently getting better. I have no first-hand knowledge of their product, though.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm thinking of doing a 30-odd page book/magazine of wedding photographs to give to my folks.
    The only problem is I've never done anything like it before. Does anyone have any resources about how a pdf should be layed out, if one were to want to get it done in perfect binding?

Mustang on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What sort of information are you looking for, Mustang? Like margins? Are you using InDesign?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes margins, bleeds and all that graphic design nonsense.
    I was going to use illustrator. Is indesign my best bet for that kind of job? I have CS4 but my pc isn't meeting minimum specs, so I'll need to upgrade.

Mustang on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Decide where you're going to get it printed, and they will be able to provide you with the layout spec. Most places will have templates.

I wouldn't have thought Illustrator was the best thing to use. If you can't use InDesign, my advice would be to lay each page out individually in Photoshop and then export your files as a multipage pdf.

Grenn on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Grenn wrote: »
    Decide where you're going to get it printed, and they will be able to provide you with the layout spec. Most places will have templates.

I wouldn't have thought Illustrator was the best thing to use. If you can't use InDesign, my advice would be to lay each page out individually in Photoshop and then export your files as a multipage pdf.

I have to disagree with you Grenn. I would not recommend Illustrator nor Photoshop to do these kinds of things. InDesign is specifically designed to handle multi page projects. The reason being because it can organize your spreads for you after you've laid them out in the InBooklet feature (the name changes depending on the CS version).

I suggest being very generous with your margins so that you don't have any issues at the press. I suggest keeping all your fonts and image files in an easy to find folder within your project folder cuz InDesign works by linking images; when you burn the disk to send it to the press you're gonna need to give them that folder too. Make sure your page total is a multiple of 4, otherwise you're gonna mess up your spreads.

Mustang, this is very general advice for a very broad question that has lots of parts. It would take for ever to write what I want.... if you gimme some time I can put together a step by step.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I completely agree Toast but Mustang said he'd need to upgrade in order to use InDesign.

Which is why I offered him an alternative using Photoshop.

Personally, I would use Notepad.exe

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    When I run Illustrator (CS2), sometimes all my tools and windows disapear. Does this happen to anyone else?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    MagicToaster: I'm assuming you know this, but you're not hitting the Tab key, are you?\

Mustang: Yes, talk to your printer. They should give you specs on what you need for the spine, etc.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When I run Illustrator (CS2), sometimes all my tools and windows disapear. Does this happen to anyone else?

I run into this problem occasionally with CS3. My workaround is to create a workspace that I can just open if it opens up blank.

Window> Workspace> Save Workspace

Just name it and it will save with whatever windows/tools you currently have open.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, that's what I did. I just wanted to know if I was the only one and see if anyone had a solution for this annoyance.

Edit: Not it wasn't the tab key. That would have been embarassing.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I figured you knew about the tab key. But I've probably done dumber things.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can I get a quote for how much this project will cost me?

I am designing a card game based on 1800s fisticuffs. The cards will be entirely black and white, with stylized depictions of characters similar to this, but with more clean lines:
    [VignyMarch1903.jpg

I will need 20 character drawings (12 cards depicting movement like punch, crouch, step.etc and 8 character designs) in addition to four more abstract designs (one for card box, three card backs).

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shit guys, I completely forgot that I'd asked for advices on this.
    Thanks for your input. I don't want to jump in too fast and waste a crapload of money by being a dickhead, so I think i'll hold off on the project until I can get InDesign onto a workable pc.

Mustang on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When starting out with drawing, if i'm trying to draw something say from life. Should I be using a ruler to ensure that all of my proportions more closely match what I am seeing? Or am I supposed to be eyeballing it to better develope my currently horrible sense of proportion?

bebarce on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bebarce wrote: »
    When starting out with drawing, if i'm trying to draw something say from life. Should I be using a ruler to ensure that all of my proportions more closely match what I am seeing? Or am I supposed to be eyeballing it to better develope my currently horrible sense of proportion?
    You could use a ruler but I would recommend using a pencil to measure. After a little practice, then you can start eyeballing.

Taya on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lurk wrote: »

I am designing a card game based on 1800s fisticuffs. The cards will be entirely black and white, with stylized depictions of characters similar to this, but with more clean lines:
    [VignyMarch1903.jpg

I will need 20 character drawings (12 cards depicting movement like punch, crouch, step.etc and 8 character designs) in addition to four more abstract designs (one for card box, three card backs).

People's rates are gonna vary widely, but to have someone do a decent, period-evocative job I'd say you're easily looking at $300 & up.

Sounds like a real cool angle for a game, though.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, I has dilemma. I have a comic book idea that at least 6 people like a lot. I like it too, but I don't think my art is good enough to represent it properly. Do I get another artist to take my art and make it better? I have a writer friend already doing this with me. So it means that I could be Art and Story, the other guy be Writer, and a third person be Artist?

Maybe my art isn't that bad? What would you guys do if you had a good story to tell and not the art skills to back it up?

Story is here http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=13282797#post13282797
    My art is here http://brain-camera-studio.deviantart.com/

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lurk wrote: »

[VignyMarch1903.jpg

I dunno what your budget is, but if you're looking for someone here to do it I could see Kendeathwalker's stuff right up your alley.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The first comic you do isnt going to be great. So might as well just do it and get it out of the way. It's not good to be precious with your work. I mean work hard on it. But don't be sentimental. Youll learn a lot just fromo doing it. And your next one will be much better.

As for your story pitch, can you summarize the premise of your story in one or two sentences?

PROX on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PROX wrote: »
    The first comic you do isnt going to be great. So might as well just do it and get it out of the way. It's not good to be precious with your work. I mean work hard on it. But don't be sentimental. Youll learn a lot just fromo doing it. And your next one will be much better.

As for your story pitch, can you summarize the premise of your story in one or two sentences?

Sure I can -
    Shaw Nevada has been diagnosed with a special disease he can't possibly control. With the murder of his only brother he desperately tries to escape an island city. With a no plan, a new friend, and anger in his heart; can Shaw overcome what lies ahead in the world of Grinda'teyo?

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    knock the comic out yourself. Like prox said, your first one's not going to be shit-awesome, but you won;t get there if you don't just do it. If you're absolutely in love with the idea of the comic, you can always give it a second shot 5-10 years down the road, but really after you do one, you'll have much better ideas for better comics as you keep doing them.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the support and answers my dudes. I'll draw the art no matter what happens~!

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    @Arden, It has been my experience that writers who lack the level of artspertise they want seek it out in others. The problems you'll run into with this, though is that a) most people you ask aren't going to have the kind of time these kinds of projects demand and b) most people you ask are going to want to see green for it. So I guess it depends on whether or not you intend this for publication and how far you're willing to go to see it realized in the way that you want it.

Personally, I think you should try to muscle through it yourself. If this is your baby, and you want it to be perfect, you might start with smaller endeavors first? Short stories or one-pagers, that kind of thing, so you can practice and bring yourself up to speed.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    sainsain Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've never tried painting in photoshop, so forgive me if this seems insanely stupid.

How do I go about creating a brush that feels natural? I've tried messing with some of the brush settings but everything has that cheesy airbrush feel.

sain on
This discussion has been closed.