As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Doomsday Clock set to move.

ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
400px-The_Doomsday_Clock.jpg

When: January 14, 2010. 10 AM EST

For the past 3 years, the minute hand of the Doomsday Clock has stood at 5 minutes to midnight. This Thursday, the hand will move again. The question now is, given what we know about the situation of the world, which way do you think the hand is going to go? (Keep in mind, while the clock used to be an exclusive measurement of impending Nuclear War, it now takes into account any number of global disasters or threats that may destroy the world.)

In 1991, the hand was at a peaceful time of 11:43pm, right in the middle of George Bush's presidency. But for the past 15 years we have been moving closer toward our destruction. If the hand were to go backward on January 14, it would be the first time it has done so in almost two decades.

If you had to bet a shitload of money, which would be the safe bet here?

There's two types of bets you can make:

1) Is the hand going to go forward or backward?

2) By how many minutes will the hand change? +/- (positive being a counterclockwise movement away from midnight, negative moving clockwise toward midnight)

Personally, I'm predicting it will go Forward, -2.

What do you guys think? And why?

ಠ_ರೃ on

• Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is this a watchmen thread?

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Really think it is going to go down a bit. Or it may not move at all.

Arch on
  • ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Arch wrote: »

No, it is going to move. That much has been confirmed.

ಠ_ರೃ on
    edited January 2010
    Toxin01 wrote: »

Partially. Very subtle.

ಠ_ರೃ on
    edited January 2010
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »

Back one step then

Arch on
    edited January 2010

Back one step then

Why the fuck would it go back?

Look at all the global warming and threats of nuclear holocaust in the east. And all the new terrorist threats

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Back one step then

Look at all the global warming and threats of nuclear holocaust in the east. And all the new terrorist threats

It's cold in fucking MIAMI!

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010

the India/Pakistan nuclear dickwaving has me more than slightly worried.

Echo on
    edited January 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

Back one step then

When the temperature is dropping to 28 degrees in Miami you know the global climate is kind of fucked. People have been hospitalized for hypothermia and frostbite.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

Back one step then

All of which were cited as the reasons it moved forward 2 minutes in 2007. My guess is back one minute too.

Premier kakos on
    edited January 2010

Back one step then

Please tell me you're not serious. Weather != Climate

Premier kakos on
    edited January 2010
    Yes well global warming hasn't gone away.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know much in these matters, but my gut tells me that the guy with the frazzled hair and wicked mustache knows something. He has that, "I've just seen some shit!" look on him.

tallgeeze on
    edited January 2010
    Yes well global warming is a stupid pair of buzzwords that climate scientists wish the media never got ahold of.

I know YOU understand this person with a name I can't type, but just need to reiterate it

Also, I claim back one because while there are a lot of BIG problems facing the world today, most people are taking diplomatic solutions to solve these problems rather than military shows of force.

Arch on
    edited January 2010
    Wait so global warming isn't real?

ಠ_ರೃ on
    edited January 2010
    Wait so global warming isn't real?

pm me, this isn't the place for this

Arch on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Isn't Global Warming rather moot to the discussion of the Doomsday Clock? I thought it was exclusively for Nuclear War.

Also, Global Warming is the wrong phrase. Climate Change is more accurate.

RMS Oceanic on
    edited January 2010
    The Doomsday Clock isn't just restricted to Nuclear War anymore.

Any catastrophe that can destroy the world now gets registered by it.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Please tell me you're not serious. Weather != Climate

Yes, it was a joke. I may be an idiot, but only kinda.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

So far the closest we've ever been to midnight was on the night of the Gigli premiere.

Bama on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The hell, that thing is fucking real?

I thought it was something Alan Moore invented.

Is it supposed to be some kind of oracle or something?

KalTorak on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Back one step then

Meh. Terrorism doesn't really have the ability to throw the entire world into war. One or two countries, here and there, yeah. But compared to, say, Japan attacking Pearl Harbor, 9/11 wasn't that bad.

As far as nuclear holocaust in the east, meh. It's nothing compared to the cold war-era standoffs. And with the very serious talks of nuclear disarmament going around, I'd say we're actually getting better in this regard. We understand the nature of MAD and what it means for us - in fact, I'd say nuclear weapons have resulted in less war and destruction, not more. And I think that trend will continue.

Global climate change is the only real threat. But in terms of environmentalism as a whole, we're getting much better from, say, 50 years ago. Carbon emissions are what we're most worried about now - and rightfully so - but a few decades ago it was sulfur-dioxide emotions that we were worried about (and rightfully so). And we did a great job of curbing that problem. Though there's much to be concerned about with global climate change, it's not close to the threat of global nuclear annihilation in the mid 1950's, or even the carried-out threats of world war in the first half of the 20th century.

Now, take into account the drastically dropping crime rates in the United States and Europe, the extreme advances in medical care and food availability over the last two decades, the longer average lifetimes almost universally across the globe, and the advances of science and human understanding in general - and I think it's pretty clear. Things aren't as bad in the 21st century as they were during the first half and middle of the 20th.

My prediction, the clock moves away from midnight by one minute, with a very stern warning that if we don't do something about our problems, that things are going to get worse.

Melkster on
    edited January 2010
    Melkster wrote: »

Back one step then

Meh. Terrorism doesn't really have the ability to throw the entire world into war. One or two countries, here and there, yeah. But compared to, say, Japan attacking Pearl Harbor, 9/11 wasn't that bad.

As far as nuclear holocaust in the east, meh. It's nothing compared to the cold war-era standoffs. And with the very serious talks of nuclear disarmament going around, I'd say we're actually getting better in this regard. We understand the nature of MAD and what it means for us - in fact, I'd say nuclear weapons have resulted in less war and destruction, not more. And I think that trend will continue.

Global climate change is the only real threat. But in terms of environmentalism as a whole, we're getting much better from, say, 50 years ago. Carbon emissions are what we're most worried about now - and rightfully so - but a few decades ago it was sulfur-dioxide emotions that we were worried about (and rightfully so). And we did a great job of curbing that problem. Though there's much to be concerned about with global climate change, it's not close to the threat of global nuclear annihilation in the mid 1950's, or even the carried-out threats of world war in the first half of the 20th century.

Now, take into account the drastically dropping crime rates in the United States and Europe, the extreme advances in medical care and food availability over the last two decades, the longer average lifetimes almost universally across the globe, and the advances of science and human understanding in general - and I think it's pretty clear. Things aren't as bad in the 21st century as they were during the first half and middle of the 20th.

My prediction, the clock moves away from midnight by one minute, with a very stern warning that if we don't do something about our problems, that things are going to get worse.

This is exactly what I thought, but said much better than I could have. Which is why I said back one minute.

Arch on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

My guess would be the technology allowing the brain to interface with and control computer systems.

There's an actual DARPA program for this technology that's aimed at allowing covert soldiers to communicate with each other telepathically. I imagine it involves the invasive procedure where you have to install hardware into the brain itself. I also remember a few scientists explicitly saying, excitedly, "Imagine being able to talk to your friends with thought alone!"

It can be used and already is being used for medicinal purposes (helping with various mental disorders and being able to move artificial limbs with your thoughts), not to mention video games. I've certainly wondered how great it would be if I could just move the mouse pointer with my thoughts, and now wouldn't be surprised to see that become a reality once the technology is further refined and becomes more affordable. The article I read even touched off on things like eye implants.

Scientists are excited because they don't know the limits to what this technology can do. There are so many applications for it. It can certainly be abused, too. Some scientists were worried that it might be exploited by the rich. The implant technology, for instance, might be too expensive. Your regular person will be too poor to afford it, and the rich will become an entirely new class. We'll all be baseline humans, while the rich will have modified themselves.

This kind of stuff is still a bit off yet, so I doubt it would move the clock forward. But in the future? Who knows?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited January 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    The hell, that thing is fucking real?

I thought it was something Alan Moore invented.

Is it supposed to be some kind of oracle or something?

It is the oracle for our times.

ಠ_ರೃ on
    edited January 2010
    Wait I just had a thought.

If prop 8 gets shot down, and the gays can marry?

forward two minutes

Arch on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait I just had a thought.

If prop 8 gets shot down, and the gays can marry?

forward two minutes

I think you mean

IMMEDIATE APOCALYPSE

No snooze button here, thanks a lot fags.

KalTorak on
    edited January 2010
    Well if homosexuality becomes more acceptable that could mean more rampant proliferation of aids, so maybe.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ...WTF?

Deebaser on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Toxin01 wrote: »

Who is watching it?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought the world ended already, with the whole Second Great Depression thing going on.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can I post my opinion or am I just going to get yelled at because I don't predict the clock is going to go forward?

Sipex on
    edited January 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Can I post my opinion or am I just going to get yelled at because I don't predict the clock is going to go forward?

As long as you have a good reason go ahead? No one is really yelling yet.

Arch on
    edited January 2010
    Sipex wrote: »

So far I think I'm the only one who actually thinks this shit is going to go forward.

You are not a minority opinion.

edit: But who knows, this thread itself is probably 2 minutes away from midnight.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We are approaching 2012, so it should move forward anyway. I mean, who cares about some nukes? Quetzacoatl is coming!

Seriously, I think a step backwards of 1 minute sounds right. My reasons:
    1. A president in the US who seems to be legitimately interested in diplomacy.
    2. An increasing worldwide realization of the truth of climate change and many countries taking meaningful steps to moderate the problem.
    3. The primary source of fear right now, Muslim extremism, is not at the same threat level as WW3.

On the other hand, I agree that the Pakistan/India situation is deeply scary.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited January 2010
    It's hard to tell via internet but the OP seemed to tear apart the last guy (imo) who didn't say things were getting worse.

I think Back 1 or 2 minutes mainly because things take time to change.

Reasons why it'll move back:
    - Society is becoming more open-minded. Sure, you can harp on about how there are still KKKs and gay bashers and what not but compare present day to 100 years ago and there are many things which have improved and nothing new has cropped up. Racism and gay bashing existed 100 years ago too, we just cared less.
    - Despite environmental problems governments and their citizens are admitting that something needs to be done and are taking a pro-active approach. Stepping towards improvement instead of ignoring it would get a plus in my book.
    - The threat of war in foreign countries has not reduced but I really don't think it's gone up either. Yes, there are nuclear weapons but they're so wide spread that everyone is afraid to use them else be condemned indefinitely (and fired upon themselves). I'd be surprised if we ever saw one of those actually used in another war. They are merely bargaining chips which have more value in threat then in use.

Sipex on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm pretty sure it's going forward. This seems like a register of how climate change is about to destroy us all or some shit.
    There are many good reasons to think that things are getting better, but anything called the "Doomsday Clock" is probably run by professional nervous wrecks, so they'll keep moving it forward until they have a damn good reason not to.

Picardathon on
    edited January 2010
    I'm actually going to revise my claim. Back 3 minutes.

Why? START I ended on 5 December 2009, but both Russia and the US decided to enforce the treaty indefinitely until a successor is chosen, which is a huge sign that neither Russia nor the US wish to actively engage in nuclear rearmament. They are currently working on a successor to the START treaty and many expect they'll have something by summer of this year. Despite Global Warming and other such threats being lumped in on the Doomsday Clock, it's still primarily about nuclear war; it is run by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists. And since it's inception, we've probably never been further from the threat of nuclear war. I say it's probably about time we move it to a time earlier than it's original 11:53 time.

Premier kakos on
    edited January 2010
    Hm, I'm debating, society likes it's alarmist views "OMG WORLD ENDING ETC" so they could just choose to move it forward reflecting this.

They may move it back to say 'hay guys, we're actually making progress' too though.

I could see this thing being used heavily to sway favour and emotional tension.

Sipex on
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nobody is going to mention Iran?

here is my prediction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE4FHolkO94

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]