As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unofficial PAX Stuff Schedule!

ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in PAX Archive
Alright everyone, Im working on the Unofficial PAX East! Community Events Calendar

The calendar will be comprised of parties, get togethers, games, and events not taking place at pax such as: The Magical Mystery Tour, The Pre-Pax Dinner, Hockey Games taking place during the weekend, and much much more.

How Much More? Thats up to you!

That Being Said, I will accept events within 1 month in either direction of Pax East!

I need you guys to get me information to populate the calendar:

The following should be used as the Templates

For Games:
Game:
Point Of Contact (Name/Email Address):
Start Time:
# of Players Needed:
# of Players Confirmed:
# of Alternates:
Skill Level Desired (Beginners, Experienced):
Approximate Length of Game Time:
Approximate Host Time:
Location (Hotel, Room Number, etc.):

Parties:

NOTE: If You just want a little get together by invite only, dont have it put on the calender... By all means invite Matlock and I, but dont add it to the calender.
Point of Contact:
Party Location:
Party Start Time:
Max # of attendees:
Special Instructions:

Other Events:
Event Title:
Point of Contact:
Description:
You can either post them directly to the thread, or PM them to me or send an email to ZeroHourHero@gmail.com

Already on the Calendar:
Magical Mystery Tour
Pre-Pax Dinner
PAX East Assassins

Train Arrivals
Tentative Date For Clash of the Titans
Tentative Date for Hockey Game

ZeroHourHero on

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sounds like a great idea, you could also post when the PAXTrain gets in so that those people can coordinate better as well (I believe there are two times).

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If people want to start feeding my data either in this thread, or via PM, I can start whenever.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    matlock790matlock790 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Good point about the Train. Thanks Zero, I for one really appreciate it!

matlock790 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    ExpoHUDExpoHUD Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hows about we incorporate this with the official online PAX Schedule?

I'm with the folks who did pax.evtmap.com last year, and we are doing the official smartphone schedule and maps for PAX East this year.

In addition to allowing people to build their own itineraries and see what events their friends are attending, we've added the ability for users to create and sign-up for their own events. Accounts are handled via OpenID, so you don't have to create a new account just for PAX.

You can check out the schedule/itinerary system at pax.evtmap.com (for now)

ExpoHUD on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ExpoHUD wrote: »
    Hows about we incorporate this with the official online PAX Schedule?

I'm with the folks who did pax.evtmap.com last year, and we are doing the official smartphone schedule and maps for PAX East this year.

In addition to allowing people to build their own itineraries and see what events their friends are attending, we've added the ability for users to create and sign-up for their own events. Accounts are handled via OpenID, so you don't have to create a new account just for PAX.

You can check out the schedule/itinerary system at pax.evtmap.com (for now)

I dont have a smart phone, although this is a fantastic idea.

I'd be more than happy if there was a way, to sit and add Non-Official Pax events to the schedule for you guys, Im currently on military leave so I dont have much else to do anyway.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ExpoHUD wrote: »
    Accounts are handled via OpenID, so you don't have to create a new account just for PAX.

Considering I don't have an OpenID at the moment, it appears I'd have to create an account just for PAX anyway :winky: lol.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Analyzing data in order to maximize fun = this is my favorite thread.

ExpoHUD, that mobile site looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it populated with the PAX East events.

My only comment to creating a Google calendar b/c not everyone has a smartphone, is that the smartphone site still works in a regular internet browser. Sure it's not as cosmetic as a Google calendar page but it gets the job done.

That being said, is there any legal mumbo jumbo to worry about mixing unofficial events into the official PAX mobile schedule website? If this official schedule website is endorsed or paid for by Penny Arcade, I wouldn't want to see them get sued or something because I said I was running a Robo Rally game in my hotel room, when it was actually an intricate cult ceremony where I needed to sacrifice 8 nerds.... but who would do that, right guys?

My recommendation would be to create 2 sites using the same format, both using OpenID. In a perfect world everything would be all in one bowl, but I sort of see it like this: sometimes I go to the iPhone app store and get apps, but sometimes, I want stuff that Apple can't provide for one reason or another, so I go to the jailbreak shop for that. I do them both on my phone, and they both work pretty similar, and being a person of mild competence I can manage between the two.

Although, if this would all be over some legal hoo-hah, I'm sure some isclaimer lawyer speak in size 4 font at the bottom can fix that.

Man, nobody's gonna come play Robo Rally in my hotel room now.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This is why Im doing the Unofficial events on that google calender at the moment. Even if we do something with expoHud, I'll keep working on the Google Calender for those that dont have the apps and such

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How does one go about submitting a scheduling of events for this convention?

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    undead wrote: »
    How does one go about submitting a scheduling of events for this convention?

No Idea, We're just talking about events people are setting up that involve people going to PAX like the bar crawl and the pre pax dinner, and the magical mystery tour, and some people that are going to a hockey game, and the clash of titans midnight showing.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure of any legal impacts via updating various after PAX activities. I can't imagine anyone's going to want to schedule games conflicting with PAX, but if anyone is aware of any possible negative ramifications, other than nerd sacrifice (which is debatably negative) please let either me or Zero know. I'm assuming ExpoHUD has already done the legwork for that with his "official" effort, and I think having the information in both places assures a better saturation of the market.

The next step would be for the "hosts" to post the different things they want to play here and either I or Zero will update the calendar. I think a format similar to:

Game: Risk
    # Players Needed: Up to 6
    # Players Committed: 1
    # of Alternates: 2
    Approx Length of Game Time: 4 Hours
    Approx Time Willing to Host: 8 hours (2 games)

This way "hosters" can get a list of interested parties and if noone shows up, then they can get out and do some of the other things going on. I envisioned it being handled like the Hotel Sharing Thread or maybe a "Looking for DND 4E Game" kind of thing. Possibly a poll-like structure? I'm not sure the best way to update games and stuff, thoughts?

Also we can update social events this way:

Party Location: My Pants
    Party Start Time: 24/7/365
    Maximum # of non-females attending: 1
    Smoking/Nonsmoking/BYOB,C,D (Booze, Computer, Dice) and any other details here.

Any other thoughts about format, structure, updating???
    If this takes off, you guys have no idea how great it will be for me! Scheduled Fun=OCD Heaven!!

matlock790 on
  • Options
    ExpoHUDExpoHUD Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dont have a smart phone, although this is a fantastic idea.
    As Gundabad pointed out, it works with any web browser, so you're still OK!
    Considering I don't have an OpenID at the moment, it appears I'd have to create an account just for PAX anyway :winky: lol.
    Bah! Foiled again!

A combination of legalese and vigilance on our part should keep the user events on the up and up.

ZeroHourHero and matlock790, we're definitely up for working together. Like you said, a lot of people are already in the groove of using Google calendar (I use it). At the same time, the ExpoHUD app will let people put both official and "unofficial" events on their ExpoHUD itineraries, so people can see the flow of their day.

We're currently hammering out the details of the sign-up mechanism for ExpoHUD, so that when you create an event, you can some of your friends to it (if you know you have 3 for Risk already, for example), and that when you're done you can have some* record of who you played with. I played a great delve with 5 other people at PAX 09, and to this day I lament that I have no idea who they are.

*a very non-stalker-ish record :)

ExpoHUD on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Matlock, looks like a good format for people to start posting events they are hosting. I would add one thing: skill level desired. Can beginners come and expect to have rules explained, etc., or is the host looking for some advanced competition?

Gundabad on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Excellent Idea! I also thought a "start time" would help out, even if it's "Thursday Night" or something to help with scheduling. That said, the format will look more like:

Game:
    Start Time:
    # of Players Needed:
    # of Players Confirmed:
    # of Alternates:
    Skill Level Desired (Beginners, Experienced):
    Approximate Length of Game Time:
    Approximate Host Time:

And the other one is:

Party Location:
    Party Start Time:
    Max # of attendees:
    Special Instructions:

If that sounds good, lets start getting hosters to post their proposed schedules. It doesn't have to be set in stone but will serve as a guideline for setting up some good times!

matlock790 on
  • Options
    DwayneDaysDwayneDays __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    someone run a geo wars 2 tourney!

DwayneDays on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    DwayneDays.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Alright ever: First Post updated format, link, and a way to contact me!

Now, lets see some community events!

(I know I should be expecting them to pop up more closer to PAX)

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    matlock790 wrote: »

And the other one is:

Party Location:
    Party Start Time:
    Max # of attendees:
    Special Instructions:

You should note that if people post private parties, it will get out of hand very, very fast.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ha, I thought that was the general idea....

Actually, I had thought of that. I would assume those that wanted to be more, uh, selective in their invitations wouldn't use this service.

matlock790 on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    matlock790 wrote: »
    Ha, I thought that was the general idea....

Actually, I had thought of that. I would assume those that wanted to be more, uh, selective in their invitations wouldn't use this service.

This is true, but still some people may fail to consider that.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LOL, then those parties will be the stuff of legend!

matlock790 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    we need somebody to host a b-pong tourny

DwayneDays on
    DwayneDays.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    beer pong: also known as herpes pong

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PM with event info sent

Thanks for taking the reigns on this Zero

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    beer pong: also known as herpes pong

Even so it sounds more fun than "risk with nerds"

DwayneDays on
    DwayneDays.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think you're going to find much support for your "don't be a nerd, play beer pong" idea here, Dwayne. Kind of like wanting to play American football at the World Cup.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Id set up a beer pong thing if he wasnt being a douche about it. I actually enjoy beer pong.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    just defending the elegant sport of beer pong!

DwayneDays on
    DwayneDays.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DwayneDays wrote: »
    Even so it sounds more fun than "risk with nerds"
    Yeah who would even want to play Risk with nerds? It's all about Axis & Allies anyway.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You guys just gonna play some b-gamezorz?

DwayneDays on
    DwayneDays.png
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DwayneDays wrote: »
    You guys just gonna play some b-gamezorz?

BRODUDE!

man i know rite nerds are just horrible people! Beer pong with sloppy drunk girls is the way to go. I just love the taste of warm natty lite nothing better! Then we can play some madden and gears of war they ROCK!

DwayneDays get over your self man.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Will there be chest-bumps involved after said Madden game and natty ice consumption?

Gundabad on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    We're in boston so we gotta drink Sammy! Cherry Wheat to be more precise, also mlb 10 the show all day man. Im down with Madden too I just gotta get a lil practice in

DwayneDays on
    DwayneDays.png
  • Options
    MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Game: PAX East Assassins
    Start Time: 1 Hour after doors open Friday
    # of Players Needed: Unlimited
    # of Players Confirmed: 4

Skill Level Desired (Beginners, Experienced): All are welcome
    Approximate Length of Game Time: Ends when PAX does!

More info can be found in the Assassins thread here. Thanks for putting this together Zero!

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Game: PAX East Assassins
    Start Time: 1 Hour after doors open Friday
    # of Players Needed: Unlimited
    # of Players Confirmed: 4

Skill Level Desired (Beginners, Experienced): All are welcome
    Approximate Length of Game Time: Ends when PAX does!

More info can be found in the Assassins thread here. Thanks for putting this together Zero!

Holy crap, you're never going to be able to pull that thing off! How are you going to get unlimited players before PAX East? That's like very hard difficulty setting!!!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just noticed the post Mars, Its added now.

ZeroHourHero on