As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STO] Open Beta Get!

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I made it as far as the first combat tutorial this time! I had some performance issues though, need to tweak what settings are the real hogs.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Doh. Disconnect again. Now I'm stuck at the character screen again. :(

WMain00 on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Space is kill shields to get to the Hull. Kill Hull to kill the ship. There are four shields, front/back/left/right, and breaking any of those sheilds lets you damage the hull from that side. You get a certain amount of front and back weapon slots to equip. Each item you equip has different firing arcs. Some shoot only the way they are facing, some shoot 3 directions, some shoot all 4 directions. So the game is to point your ship the correct way to be able to shoot the enemy, destroy a shield, and keep positioning yourself to shoot that open area while they move around trying to hide their current vunerable side from you. All while they do the same to you.
    Use your phasers/tachyon beam skills to drop the shields and then send your torpedos in. It's quite satisfying to drop a salvo of overloaded suppositories into a K'Tinga. You can use torpedos on shields, but it just doesn't give you that satisfying "krackoom" or big, big damage numbers.
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Thought of another couple minor gripes:
    * I could only set two weapons to autofire in the Tier 1 Light Cruiser, one Fore and one Aft.
    You know, I haven't figured out how to set something to autofire, and assumed it just wasn't in the game because it's not documented at all as far as I can tell. How do you get it to work?
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Are the Wrath of Khan Admiral uniforms not available until launch? I didn't see it on the uniform customization screen.
    From everything I've read, none of the special bonuses will be activated until go live.

GungHo on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Everytime something major crashes, everyone clogs up the login server. So it's going to be a lot of cycles of this until everyone is so spread out over the hardware that any hitch doesn't bring down half the playerbase.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sander, are you saying that this game needs a solid rig to perform?

Deebaser on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    You know, I haven't figured out how to set something to autofire, and assumed it just wasn't in the game because it's not documented at all as far as I can tell. How do you get it to work?

autofire by right clicking on that command in the hotbar, this works for both on the ground and in space

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I managed to log in and play around for a bit. I managed to get to engineering in the tutorial before I got disconnected. I gotta say, it was pretty fun while i was playing around with it.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Space is kill shields to get to the Hull. Kill Hull to kill the ship. There are four shields, front/back/left/right, and breaking any of those sheilds lets you damage the hull from that side. You get a certain amount of front and back weapon slots to equip. Each item you equip has different firing arcs. Some shoot only the way they are facing, some shoot 3 directions, some shoot all 4 directions. So the game is to point your ship the correct way to be able to shoot the enemy, destroy a shield, and keep positioning yourself to shoot that open area while they move around trying to hide their current vunerable side from you. All while they do the same to you.
    Use your phasers/tachyon beam skills to drop the shields and then send your torpedos in. It's quite satisfying to drop a salvo of overloaded suppositories into a K'Tinga. You can use torpedos on shields, but it just doesn't give you that satisfying "krackoom" or big, big damage numbers.
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Thought of another couple minor gripes:
    * I could only set two weapons to autofire in the Tier 1 Light Cruiser, one Fore and one Aft.
    Are the Wrath of Khan Admiral uniforms not available until launch? I didn't see it on the uniform customization screen.
    From everything I've read, none of the special bonuses will be activated until go live.
    right click on the weapon. you can autofire 1 fore and 1 aft weapon

Aeolusdallas on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone have an answer to my above question. Once I get back into the game, how do I hyperjump to the map with the "Active Drones"? When I crashed, I got reset to the map with the Disabled ones. After I completed that objective, the game auto-warped me to the next area. I need to figure out how to warp back again.

Lucascraft on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone who still doesn't have a key, Massively is giving 10,000 away. Go go go!

sidhaethe on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Question: How long should I expect to wait for the steam version to install? Does anyone have experience with this within the last day or so?

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
    edited January 2010
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't get past character creation.

This is hyper not good if they're launching in what, 3 weeks?

LibrarianThorne on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay so is there a more reliable way to get the client than a torrent? Tried that, yeah... my connection went to shit for some odd reason.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been pulling the client down off Fileplanet at 800k/sec.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited January 2010
    This is ridiculous.

LibrarianThorne on
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is ridiculous.

THIS

IS

BETA!

Fuck. I hope the game is more stable by tonight. No sleeping for me.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is ridiculous.

I've never seen a game go into open beta and not have the servers melt as everyone tries to log in repeatedly.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been completely stable for the past 20 minutes. Sadly, I am stuck on the mission I was on and nobody seems to have an answer to how to get un-stuck. The problem was that a dialog box popped up and asked for confirmation to warp to the next part of the mission. When I got disconnected a while back, it reset me to the beginning of the space part with no apparent way to get back to where I need to be. Seems like a ton of people have the same problem. That's basically all anyone is talking about in zone chat.

"How do I get to the active drones" or "How do I beam to the Vega Colony."

Lucascraft on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft, we had that problem over the weekend, and only got it to work by abandoning the quest, exiting the game, re-entering, and re-taking the quest.

sidhaethe on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is ridiculous.

You have to understand that you are wrestling with thousands of 13-50 year old fanboys who would beat you with their ST: TNG Encyclopedia to death if it meant for them to play the beta 5 minutes earlier then you. Unfortunately, I know a few of these people in real life.

The good news is, maybe they will have more servers available after today since they are seeing their current ones melt.

precisionk on
    edited January 2010
    Robziel wrote: »
    This is ridiculous.

I've never seen a game go into open beta and not have the servers melt as everyone tries to log in repeatedly.

I would imagine they may have learned their lesson from other MMOs including the ones they have published. Finally someone got an open beta launch day server configuration correct?

*e
    I misread the quote... not to mention I am still downloading.

D:

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Isn't the entire reason you have an open beta to buttfuck your servers in ways you never expected them to?

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Corbius wrote: »
    Isn't the entire reason you have an open beta to buttfuck your servers in ways you never expected them to?

Yeah. They might even be melting them on purpose, just to see what would happen.

I'd be a fucking nazi if I were in charge of QA.

Today, everyone is a Klingon. GO!

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been completely stable for the past 20 minutes. Sadly, I am stuck on the mission I was on and nobody seems to have an answer to how to get un-stuck. The problem was that a dialog box popped up and asked for confirmation to warp to the next part of the mission. When I got disconnected a while back, it reset me to the beginning of the space part with no apparent way to get back to where I need to be. Seems like a ton of people have the same problem. That's basically all anyone is talking about in zone chat.

"How do I get to the active drones" or "How do I beam to the Vega Colony."
    Attepmt 1: Hit escape twice. brings up esc menu then closes it. Dialog there now?

Attempt 2: check bottom right for a dialog to warp or something. There?

Attempt 3: check top right unthe the minimap. Last two should be like warp to sector/planet and scan. Try the warp to sector/planet. Work?

Attempt 4: Uh usually you have to leave a system and reenter with the "continue: [mission name] on the bottom right. but since you're in tutorial you can't do that. Remake character? :[

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Corbius wrote: »

Yeapp ... and its really good they have this problems today and tomorrow. That may give them a very good chance to see what they can expect on launch and maybe avoid the buttfucking then.

TheBigEasy on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If noone has yet done it, I'm gonna make a PA fleet. Fleet Wang, but we can change the name later if people come up with something better, right?

Edit: It say "Fleet was given an invalid name", so it's either bugged or I'm too low.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I still want the fleet name to be "Arcadian Defence Fleet" but then I'm a huge Trek nerd.

Better yet, Arcadian Special Squadron.

You can imagine what the abbreviation for that would be.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I still want the fleet name to be "Arcadian Defence Fleet" but then I'm a huge Trek nerd.

Better yet, Arcadian Special Squadron.

You can imagine what the abbreviation for that would be.

Why aren't you guys using the Scrotuus?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited January 2010
    NEW GUYS HEADS UP

In Space (no on ecan hear you scream):

-Shift+R to do full impulse. Or hit the ^ above the throttle and it'll blink. Works out of combat. This makes you go super fast but brings all your systems to minimum power (5). Turn it off early so your systems have a chance to power up again.

-Kill shields with beams. Kill Hull with torpedos/mines. (Mines may still be broken doing 1 dmg).

-Every beam fired at the same time over one is 10 energy loss per extra beam weapon. So three broadside beams will make you lose weapon energy and you can't fire for a while. 2 beams can work as you regen energy fast enough.

-Throttle at reverse/25/50% makes you turn better. Higher Aux power makes you turn better. Evasive manuvers makes you turn better.

Minimap

-Right of the minimap under the globe/+/- is a v arrow. there you can enter pvp or visit the bridge (from sector space)

-Under the minimap are little icons. Call starfleet is there but more importantly the warp to system/sector is there. You can use that to cancel out of missions when needed and you don't see the warp to sector where you normally do.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    If noone has yet done it, I'm gonna make a PA fleet. Fleet Wang, but we can change the name later if people come up with something better, right?

Edit: It say "Fleet was given an invalid name", so it's either bugged or I'm too low.

Or... GASP!

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

Wait wrong setting. Anyway could be that wang isn't allowed as a name.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited January 2010
    DL at 30%... woo?

I would like to put my vote in for Arcadian Special Squadron. I would be proud to be an ASS and to fly with my fellow ASSes.

JamesDM on

edited January 2010
    ended up taking a sick day

game has been stable for the past 30 minutes

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited January 2010
    Arthil wrote: »

Or... GASP!

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

Seems like it doesn't matter what I use. o_O

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man the servers are having a heart attack.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited January 2010

Or... GASP!

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

Fleet Fucker didn't work. FleetFucker did. so FleetWang might work. Or WangFleet.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2010

Or... GASP!

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!

Fleet Fucker didn't work. FleetFucker did. so FleetWang might work. Or WangFleet.

That did the trick, now I need 4 people...

Ferrus on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ensign Tavish Degroot reporting, aboard the U.S.S. Eyelander.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I can't get past the character creator. Login failed due to full map or some shit like that.

With that said, the character creator is awesome, and I've been having fun creating different aliens. One thing bothers me though. I created 2 characters (a tactical and science officer) and went to create the third as engineering so I could play with all 3, but it tells me my character slots are full and I can purchase more... I really really hope they don't limit people to 2 characters each. That would really suck.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2010
    Okay, I got through the tutorials only for the thing to hang at a loading screen when entering earth spacedock.

Space combat looks pretty damned amazing, but is an enormous pain. Is there some way I can set ship weapons to autofire so I only have to worry about manuvering? Managing both is a headache I don't want to deal with.

Gonna go post some bugs to their forums now, I think.

Did anyone else see the 5'12" bug?

EDIT: Oh, good thing about space combat is the sense of scale. Jesus Christ is the Borg Cube enormous.

LibrarianThorne on
This discussion has been closed.