As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hates, Hopes, and Happy Holidays

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    get to heroic AN now ye gods

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LOL: I log on my Warrior to do the daily. I get Oculus, and I'm like "shit. oh well." We do it, I get Make It Count, because it's so easy.

oh, and a blue drake mount, too.

Senshi on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Charus wrote: »
    Unless you're in a new instance or Oculus, the difference between decent dps and terrible dps is only a few minutes. Less time than the dungeon cooldown, at least. In every case but HoR, Bronjahm, or Eregos, I can kill everything by myself so long as the healer still has mana, so the dps can be as terrible as they want to be. Time spent trying to gearcheck the DPS is time you could have spent pulling mobs, as soon as everyone is zoned in I hit gift of the wild, thorns myself, hit bear form, and start pulling mobs.

The instances I'm most likely to quit out of (or try to duck by extending the instance lockout on) are the ones that have a massive stretch of unavoidable RP or downtime like VH, HoS, or CoS, or ones where trash comes in waves and I can't speed up the pulling.

While I enjoy that not all dungeons are the same, I do hope that in Cataclysm they include options to skip long rp stretches or speed up the rate that waves spawn so that well-geared groups trying to farm badges or whatever aren't spending half their time in the dungeon waiting for scripted events to trigger.

I'd rather they had an option to multiply the instance difficulty by some factor, in return for multiplying the rewards by the same. For instance, make all the mobs hit 5x as hard and have 5x as much health, and you get 5x the badges. That way, groups would choose exactly the right difficulty for themselves to maximize the reward. It'd encourage the use of CC, so that you could get away with higher multipliers.

Ultimately, people would probably just leave it at 1x and continue running their boring-as-hell regular heroics back to back for roughly the same rate of badges per time period, but a man can dream.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Saeris wrote: »
    Charus wrote: »
    Unless you're in a new instance or Oculus, the difference between decent dps and terrible dps is only a few minutes. Less time than the dungeon cooldown, at least. In every case but HoR, Bronjahm, or Eregos, I can kill everything by myself so long as the healer still has mana, so the dps can be as terrible as they want to be. Time spent trying to gearcheck the DPS is time you could have spent pulling mobs, as soon as everyone is zoned in I hit gift of the wild, thorns myself, hit bear form, and start pulling mobs.

The instances I'm most likely to quit out of (or try to duck by extending the instance lockout on) are the ones that have a massive stretch of unavoidable RP or downtime like VH, HoS, or CoS, or ones where trash comes in waves and I can't speed up the pulling.

While I enjoy that not all dungeons are the same, I do hope that in Cataclysm they include options to skip long rp stretches or speed up the rate that waves spawn so that well-geared groups trying to farm badges or whatever aren't spending half their time in the dungeon waiting for scripted events to trigger.

I'd rather they had an option to multiply the instance difficulty by some factor, in return for multiplying the rewards by the same. For instance, make all the mobs hit 5x as hard and have 5x as much health, and you get 5x the badges. That way, groups would choose exactly the right difficulty for themselves to maximize the reward. It'd encourage the use of CC, so that you could get away with higher multipliers.

Ultimately, people would probably just leave it at 1x and continue running their boring-as-hell regular heroics back to back for roughly the same rate of badges per time period, but a man can dream.
    I'd like to see them add hard modes to the last boss of each heroic, for extra badges and loot.

815165 on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: I'm now sitting on four pieces of T9 for my tanking set (plus the awesome Triumph Shoulders), plus 2 pieces of T8 (head and legs) that I can swap in for Cat dpsing.

Next up, time to gear my long neglected resto set.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sigh
    WoWScrnShot_011210_040226.jpg

and I hoped it was an easy one not one few people had done

Brainleech on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We got Naxx again. 6 weeks and counting.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sarth for us. Glad nobody does OS anymore.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ours is Naxx, for the 2nd time.

Noth this time.

My server does PUGs all the time for the frost badges. This isnt a good server either, its Dath Remar, we don't even have Prof down in 10 man, let alone 25.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And, annoyingly, I woke up an hour after the quest changed and everybody still awake already did the weekly. I'm 4 emblems short of a Frost cloak and nobody's doing the run until after maintenance ends.

Of course, the fact that it's Naxx again means everyone who did it last week is still saved to whichever size of the raid they did back then, until the servers come back up with freshly reset raid timers.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    last week it was Instructor Razuvious it bugged out letting people do it again I wish it was Flame Levithian though

I have a choice I could buy either of these belts Circle of Ossus or Belt of Omission

Brainleech on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    That's one thing I actually haven't seen yet. Someone wearing high-ilevel epics of the wrong spec or gear type specifically to mess with the gear checker. When people are doing low DPS or dying despite spammed heals, I inspect their gear and it's nearly always right spec, just not powerful enough.

I have an ilevel 200 sword and I'm a Paladin, but I always equip an ilevel 232 one-handed axe (Nighttime--and I won it on a greed roll, so don't freak out) before doing Oculus, since the drakes scale with your item level.

As for the Weekly Raid quest, my server has had Naxx twice, then Jaraxxus every week after. I've yet to be part of a pug that can take down Jaraxxus. I've spent over 1000 g on repairs trying to get those extra emblems.

Samphis on
  • Options
    ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HAPPY: Last week I stared agonizingly at my supply of frost emblems on my two alts and gazed as a mechano-hog raced by me. I had decided, its time I got me one of those. Its the only vanity ground mount I really cared about aside from the HH Mount.

I sold the two primordial saronite I could afford, netted me about 3.4k, since then I have been farming Saronite (transmuted to Titanium), Eternal Shadow, Eternal Earth, Eternal Fire, and Titanium Ore. I have enough put aside to smelt the titansteel needed for the recipe.

At this point I am less than 5k gold away from completing my task. To prevent my own impulse spending from delaying me from my course, each milestone is purchased immediately. I have the salvaged golem parts, the exhaust pipe, and currently 3 Pistons and well on my way to 5th.

I didn't think I could make money this fast without doing mind numbing and tedious dailies but here I am. At this rate I may need to buy somebodies Titansteel CD since I will be done with the gold piece of first.

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Samphis wrote: »
    That's one thing I actually haven't seen yet. Someone wearing high-ilevel epics of the wrong spec or gear type specifically to mess with the gear checker. When people are doing low DPS or dying despite spammed heals, I inspect their gear and it's nearly always right spec, just not powerful enough.

I have an ilevel 200 sword and I'm a Paladin, but I always equip an ilevel 232 one-handed axe (Nighttime--and I won it on a greed roll, so don't freak out) before doing Oculus, since the drakes scale with your item level.

As for the Weekly Raid quest, my server has had Naxx twice, then Jaraxxus every week after. I've yet to be part of a pug that can take down Jaraxxus. I've spent over 1000 g on repairs trying to get those extra emblems.

I have seen a few too many
    I saw a shaman that I still don't know what thier spec really was { I know very little about the shaman class as I have not played one past level 22}

Brainleech on
  • Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HAPPY: Last week I stared agonizingly at my supply of frost emblems on my two alts and gazed as a mechano-hog raced by me. I had decided, its time I got me one of those. Its the only vanity ground mount I really cared about aside from the HH Mount.

I sold the two primordial saronite I could afford, netted me about 3.4k, since then I have been farming Saronite (transmuted to Titanium), Eternal Shadow, Eternal Earth, Eternal Fire, and Titanium Ore. I have enough put aside to smelt the titansteel needed for the recipe.

At this point I am less than 5k gold away from completing my task. To prevent my own impulse spending from delaying me from my course, each milestone is purchased immediately. I have the salvaged golem parts, the exhaust pipe, and currently 3 Pistons and well on my way to 5th.

I didn't think I could make money this fast without doing mind numbing and tedious dailies but here I am. At this rate I may need to buy somebodies Titansteel CD since I will be done with the gold piece of first.

That's how I got mine. Bought each piece off the vendor 1 at a time until all I needed was Titansteel. Then I ended up using the Titansteel for gear and had to wait longer :-(

mturalon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I sell my paladin's titansteel cooldown since I cannot use it for jewelcrafting right now
    My warrior on the other hand either sells or uses it. depends if I have the mats or not and other reasons

Brainleech on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    exis wrote: »
    Hate: My seven day return trial just ran out, and now I need to decide whether I have enough self-restraint to resub for the month before I go back to classes. I was just starting to enjoy healing on my priest again too. Maybe a little too much D:

Hey it's probably better than making more "I'm never drinking again" posts...

Mm or that one shaman who I'd like to kick in the junk if I ever met him IRL. Queued (I assume specifically but maybe not) for HoR as a healer, and was wearing elemental PVP gear to pass the gear check, but then swapped to a resto spec and level 70 resto gear. Seriously the guy was wearing the Eye of Gruul. And because it was so early in the dungeon, we couldn't kick him and get a real healer. And no he wasn't one of those "so good he can make any gear work" types, we wiped twice to the first wave and then gave up. Thanks, jackass.

riz on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    riz wrote: »
    Mm or that one shaman who I'd like to kick in the junk if I ever met him IRL. Queued (I assume specifically but maybe not) for HoR as a healer, and was wearing elemental PVP gear to pass the gear check, but then swapped to a resto spec and level 70 resto gear. Seriously the guy was wearing the Eye of Gruul. And because it was so early in the dungeon, we couldn't kick him and get a real healer. And no he wasn't one of those "so good he can make any gear work" types, we wiped twice to the first wave and then gave up. Thanks, jackass.

I'm surprised the elemental PVP gear wouldn't be better for healing, since you'd have like over double the spell power. Less mana regen though, I suppose. :?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bah - its jaraxxas this week on sargeras. No problem for my Warlock, but my crappy DK that I've been farming badges with is probably going to have a hard time finding a group for it.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    End wrote: »
    riz wrote: »

I'm surprised the elemental PVP gear wouldn't be better for healing, since you'd have like over double the spell power. Less mana regen though, I suppose. :?

Yeah it probably would have.

riz on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: been playing this game more on than off since release. Always as dps or tank. While RAFing a rogue up I did a shaman at the same time because I played one in beta and they were kinda fun. Decided to try out healing on the shaman. Leveled shaman from 60-70 doing lfd system whenever possible. Just hit 80 with shaman this weekend, threw him some cheap epics and healed the crap out of heroics.

Hate2happy: got H TOC as a random and cringed expecting horrible pain. It was the goddamn smoothest run I have ever done, there is something satisfying about pretty much locking down the mage in faction champs as a healer.

Right after that got H FoS, cringed again. Went pretty good, the tank was kinda bad though and I had those dk adds beating on me more than once for a good 20 seconds, i was frantically typing in group chat between chain heals "omg, gnome from hell, get it off". Also healing myself, and the tank, during mirrored soul when only the lowest dps actually stops hitting, is.. fun.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Swapped the druid's secondary spec to kitty, and wow. John fucking madden is the absolute truth, but it's a blast.
    Guffaw: First heroic I queue'd for as DPS (first time I'd EVER gone as DPS on the druid) I get H FoS and not only does the scorpion drop, but 2 others auto-pass because they already have it 0_o. I win uncontested and proceed to wonder what karma will do to balance this out.
    Hate: Karma didn't wait long. Slept thru my alarm and was 2 hours late to work :(

Bobble on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Giggles: Wiping in Naxx. On Anub'Rekhan.

"Eh it's just Naxx I don't need to pay attOOPS TANK DIED"

Echo on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hate: How much my guild's raids can fall apart without a single person. le sigh.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hate: DPS ring from Heroic Pit of Saron has yet to drop for me. I keep seeing that fucking tank sword and shaman healing boots.

Fun: During my last Heroic Pit of Saron we do the cave run to the last boss and I do my usual explosive trap+volly combo for mad deeps. While doing that tank dies and I get all that lovely aggro. I hit deterrance and laugh as mobs try to kill me and they rest of the group aoe's them down.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Oww, my wallet.

Happy:

bike.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    grats

Bobble on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »

This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I was tanking and everybody else got hit by the locust swarm, despite us explicitly coming to an agreement beforehand that I wouldn't kite him. This includes the offtank, who was unable to pick up the add that spawned in the meantime which then started attacking everyone else.

:sigh:

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oww, my wallet.

Happy:

bike.jpg

It will be mine soon!

I'm hoping to come home to a full mailbox of ill-gotten gains from people being too lazy to farm!

399831.jpg
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Boo!: Toc25 down last night and no shield for mah shammy. The healing chest piece with absolutely NO haste dropped though. :P

Tip: Upgraded my new puter to Win7 this weekend and if you do this remember to run WoW as Administrator or your addons will be borked. It also didnt transfer my WTF folder so I had to reposition everything.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Boo!: Toc25 down last night and no shield for mah shammy. The healing chest piece with absolutely NO haste dropped though. :P

Tip: Upgraded my new puter to Win7 this weekend and if you do this remember to run WoW as Administrator or your addons will be borked. It also didnt transfer my WTF folder so I had to reposition everything.

All of this can be done away with if you simply move the WoW directory to the Public Folder. This way neither updates nor addons need admin to make the little changes that need to be done.

399831.jpg
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Smasher wrote: »

This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I was tanking and everybody else got hit by the locust swarm, despite us explicitly coming to an agreement beforehand that I wouldn't kite him. This includes the offtank, who was unable to pick up the add that spawned in the meantime which then started attacking everyone else.

There's a kiting strat for this?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »

That's usually how you handle swarm, isn't it?

Not that I run Naxx often enough to know how people do it these days.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not with my group.... melee always just moved out of it till it was over. But we never kited him. I didn't know other people kited him.

EDIT: I mean, we did it this way before Uld was out.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't even remember how we did naxx the 1st time at 80.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yes, uphill, thru the snow, both ways.

Bobble on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    End wrote: »

That's usually how you handle swarm, isn't it?

Not that I run Naxx often enough to know how people do it these days.

Yeah, you kite him around the circle, then back again. It sucks to do it that way if you're a healer, because you have to inch just close enough to get in range, without getting swarmed and being unable to cast. (this way before uld came out)

Now you don't have to (and you never had to, it was just easier on the rest of the group), you just have to make sure it doesn't get into the healers, or else you're fucked.

Langly on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Happy: Yay for nice surprises. I was thinking that I was at 2 pieces of Tier 9 on my Death Knight, but nope, I have 3, and a stack of 50 emblems of triumph waiting to finish out the set bonus. I guess I also need to fully enchant all that gear since I'm probably never ever going to get Tier 10, since that 2 piece bonus isn't really any better than the Tier 9 4 piece.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    'never had to' only applies to the 25man naxx. You were singin' miracles on vent if your tank got more than 3 stacks of swarm and lived back in the day :P

Bobble on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bobble wrote: »
    'never had to' only applies to the 25man naxx. You were singin' miracles on vent if your tank got more than 3 stacks of swarm and lived back in the day :P

Ah yes, the old hunter taxi from one end of the room to the other.

Between that and Twin Emperors, that ability got quite a workout each night during the AQ40 and Naxx40 days.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
This discussion has been closed.