As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STO] Open Beta Get!

• Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Meh, it's pretty hard to play or even communicate with all the lag. :x

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, I got through the tutorials only for the thing to hang at a loading screen when entering earth spacedock.

Space combat looks pretty damned amazing, but is an enormous pain. Is there some way I can set ship weapons to autofire so I only have to worry about manuvering? Managing both is a headache I don't want to deal with.

Gonna go post some bugs to their forums now, I think.

Did anyone else see the 5'12" bug?

You can set 2 ship weapons to auto fire by right clicking them. You'll know you did it right if they have a green box around the icons. You still have to initiate, but it continues them from there.

Decoy on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ha made it to level 3, clicked to go back to sector space, server crashes

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ha made it to level 3, clicked to go back to sector space, server crashes

The launcher doesnt even work for me at the moment.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    aww boo i was playing for a good house and now i can't get back in *sniff*

edit - any time the sever crashes i'm making sure just to leave the game open and not go back to the launcher

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so I decide it was time to leave space dock. I ordered my crew to beam me up. Loading screen pops up. it goes away and apparently I am completely invisible and it failed to beam me to my ship. So now I am this disembodied ghost running around in space and, while the thought amuses me, all I want to do is fly around in space.

I tried re-logging into the game and it's back to it's old shenanigans with it's log in servers. I'm itching for more, but it won't let me!

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Decoy wrote: »
    Okay, I got through the tutorials only for the thing to hang at a loading screen when entering earth spacedock.

Space combat looks pretty damned amazing, but is an enormous pain. Is there some way I can set ship weapons to autofire so I only have to worry about manuvering? Managing both is a headache I don't want to deal with.

You can set 2 ship weapons to auto fire by right clicking them. You'll know you did it right if they have a green box around the icons. You still have to initiate, but it continues them from there.
    It's also not any two. It's one fore and one aft.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My character in SPACE!!!!
    screenshot2010011215122.jpg

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    he is quite literally, his own star ship.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mordrack wrote: »

It's also not any two. It's one fore and one aft.

Ah thanks Mordrack. I just assumed give the auto fire to my to highest phasers pointing in each directions. I wonder why they restrict you to 2.

Decoy on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Heh, even the sto website is being slow. Servers are crying out in pain. Its glorious.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    haha that's the best bug

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DudBolt wrote: »
    he is quite literally, his own star ship.
    That's just how i roll :mrgreen:

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ships, on land!
    screenshot2010011216012.th.jpg

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's... that's new.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Today was apparently a good day for the servers to die.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    beta was fun
    than it crashed again
    now i'm sad :(
    screenshot_2010-01-12-13-20-06.jpg
    i was pewpewing against some orion raiders

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Unless this changed, it's more limited than that: you can set one fore and one aft weapon to auto. Which is lame.

kildy on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Today was apparently a good day for the servers to die.

bravo.

I'm jealous. I want to be in rigid anticipation of the occasional 20 minutes of playtime. I have to work though, it sucks.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And now all the maps are full again. I guess I'll load up Animal Crossing and fish for awhile..... at least til the servers come back.

Decoy on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I made a Betazoid then was promptly told the map was full. :(
    Not shocked since open beta is always this bad, but I was pleased with what I saw of the character creator.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God damn it the que for the fileplanet download manager is stuck at 41 minutes. LIES! TERRIBLE LIES!

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Invisible wrote: »
    Not shocked since open beta is always this bad, but I was pleased with what I saw of the character creator.

For some reason they rolled back a few of the other pre generated races. I hope they add them back in soon.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Invisible wrote: »

For some reason they rolled back a few of the other pre generated races. I hope they add them back in soon.

This is apparently the build before the build CB was testing this weekend. Which is a really odd choice, but torpedo buffs cannon nerfs and all are not in this build iirc.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ok a fleet has been made, people in PA Channel can do invites

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The WangFleet is founded. Me (O'Hir@Ferrus88), Hardtarget, Evigilant and Bandros should be able to invite you.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sweet! Must get home to play....

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    and with that server crashes again :(

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ok so for those of you with some experience from the Closed Beta, I have a couple questions.

How soon should I requisition another officer? I've got my starter from the tutorial and I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be advantageous to blow my first bit of credits on a second officer, or if perhaps I should hold off for now. Any of you know if you get any officers as mission rewards soon?

Also, with regards to skills and crap, I'm a science officer. Anyone have suggestions on kits to use, or what type of ship I should be using?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    So I pre-ordered off Amazon last night, havent gotten my Beta Key yet.

Sent them an e-mail last night and thismorning. The reply I got back said to wait till tomorrow at midnight before complaining again.

Should I complain anyway? Or Call in and complain by voice>?

I had the same problem, email support again and highlight the fact that the preorder said you would receive your key BEFORE the start of open beta, and that it has infact started. Ask them to look it up for you, they must all be in a database because the guy had mine for me less than 15 minutes after i emailed. Tell them youre going to keep emailing until someone looks it up for you.

Also people have had success with the phone support, but ive never used it. Apparently it connects you to an american so you might have better luck without the language barrier in the way.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok so for those of you with some experience from the Closed Beta, I have a couple questions.

How soon should I requisition another officer? I've got my starter from the tutorial and I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be advantageous to blow my first bit of credits on a second officer, or if perhaps I should hold off for now. Any of you know if you get any officers as mission rewards soon?

Also, with regards to skills and crap, I'm a science officer. Anyone have suggestions on kits to use, or what type of ship I should be using?
    You can get new officers at any time they are not expensive. just talk to the requisition officer. Well Med kits and vascular regenerators are nice if you want to be a healer. Read the stats. Some give you expose's those are important.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Downloading the beta and patching over the next couple days. Maybe I'll get a chance to play a bit by Friday.

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe the servers will be to the point you can log in by then...

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You can get new officers at any time they are not expensive. just talk to the requisition officer. Well Med kits and vascular regenerators are nice if you want to be a healer. Read the stats. Some give you expose's those are important.

The first few episode missions will give you the rest of your officers, now if you hate the skills they have then you would have to buy.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

quests will give you at least two more officers if you want to wait. but you'll probably buy some sooner or later to get what you want anyways.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TerroricTerroric Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm game, Terroric@Moon-Guardian. Captain of the U.S.S. Cerberus. I've just pulled into the Earth Spacedock.

Terroric on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, apart from server crashes, i'm really enjoying it! It's surprisingly detailed and fun. I am Zolanai of the U.S.S Damocles. Overall it's been quite fun so far. My only gripe is that the skill system can be rather confusing, and I still haven't allocated my points because i'm figuring out what everything does engineer wise.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not able to get in the game so I wanted to to take screenshots of all of the Races and traits you can choose, But apparently when you take a screen shot it doesn't save the menu you are looking at. Here's a shot of the character creator without the menu.
    screenshot_2010-01-12-17-38-16.jpg

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm not able to get in the game so I wanted to to take screenshots of all of the Races and traits you can choose, But apparently when you take a screen shot it doesn't save the menu you are looking at.
    screenshot_2010-01-12-17-38-16.jpg

Once you are in game there are /em commands to take pics of the UI

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    map is not accepting logins because it is full....

No que? they literally expect people to spam login info until they hit the lotto and get in?

strike one

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
This discussion has been closed.