As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STO] Open Beta Get!

• ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Question that may have been asked before, but only a few links in the OP that are conveniently blocked here at work.

How would one acquire an open beta key?
    If someone has an extra one of these, could you pass it on this way?

Thanks!

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man.. I'd be 90% done with the client by now if stupid-ass windows auto-update hadn't restarted my computer like 2 hours after I left it alone. Instead, I'm at 30%.

Crap.

Xaviar on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Melkster wrote: »
    I am indeed using the latest nvidia drivers. I'll have to check out what other people are using to see if it boosts my performance.

Though I really hate rolling back drivers unless I need to.
    Turn off anti-aliasing. Just like with Champions. Oblivion engine games have the same issue.

That may not be necessary... The devs are saying a driver rollback will fix the issue for now.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1382546

Melkster on
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Banshee wrote: »
    Grr. This game has me shopping for a new video card. My radeon x850 is getting old.

Probably gonna try to find a geforce GTS250.
    I'd suggest ATI unless you don't want to turn on things like Anti Aliasing.

Anything recommended in the 100-130$ mark? I've got gift cards burning my pockets at my local store, and they have the Radeon HD 4650 1GB that would be affordable to me. Good enough to have sexed up starships?

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am indeed using the latest nvidia drivers. I'll have to check out what other people are using to see if it boosts my performance.

Though I really hate rolling back drivers unless I need to.
    Turn off anti-aliasing. Just like with Champions. Oblivion engine games have the same issue.

That may not be necessary... The devs are saying a driver rollback will fix the issue for now.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1382546

bejeavis wrote: »
    Also, with the Wrath of "Kahn" (after entering the code, they spell it that way. really.) uniform- do I have to reach Admiral to use the uniform? I want to cruise around in my retro Miranda with all my officers sporting those red snap vests with black bellbottoms! Now!
    Nope, unfortunately preorder/other ingame bonuses aren't available until the game goes live.

Xaviar on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How do I take a screenshot with the UI showing? The default print screen button hides the UI. I want to take a shot with the UI showing.

Lucascraft on
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the game is having congestion problems again, even after yesterdays patch.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I see myself having a couple phasers for utility purposes, but blasting an enemy's ship with a tachyon pulse to fuck up their shields then hitting the "Launch all Torpedoes" button (which I bound it, and the fire all phaser button to extra buttons on the side of my mouse.) should work nicely later on.

Don't get your hopes up too much. Unless they change it, the fire-all-torps button is useless due to global cooldown on torps. It's not possible, for example, to get full DPS out of two same-facing photon launchers, and you can't fire more than one launcher at a time. You can, however, get full DPS out of two plasma or quantum launchers, because they have a longer individual cooldown that's longer than the global.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    How do I take a screenshot with the UI showing? The default print screen button hides the UI. I want to take a shot with the UI showing.

Something to do with typing /em into the chat.

WMain00 on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Seems like the servers are fubar'd again. I'm getting regular disconnects.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah no kidding. In the last 20 minutes I have:

* Gone from Sol to ship and turned up as a dude in space, then dc'd.
    * Relogged, flew to the sector map, tried to enter a system, and dc'd.
    *Entered the system, found my quest planet, landed, stuck on loading for ~2 minutes, then turned up as a spaceship on the planet, then dc'd.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yep

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Grr. This game has me shopping for a new video card. My radeon x850 is getting old.

Anything recommended in the 100-130$ mark? I've got gift cards burning my pockets at my local store, and they have the Radeon HD 4650 1GB that would be affordable to me. Good enough to have sexed up starships?
    I can't see these links, because they're websensed. You may have better luck than me.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=45958
    http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=63650

According to this, they suggest looking at the 4670.

Basically, you can look at the Champions sites and get a fair idea of what performance will be like for a given card, as they use the same engine. This is readily apparent when you're on the ground.

GungHo on
    edited January 2010
    Server has gone nuts. C'est la vie.

WMain00 on
  • DewarDewar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    After 6 hours of play I finally figured out a way to generate Energy Credits. Sell junk to your replicator! Too bad I figured this out like, 5 minutes before I had to get to bed last night. As soon as I get home its time for some mad character customization!

Wait, replicator? Where is this, how does it work?
    Also, with the Wrath of "Kahn" (after entering the code, they spell it that way. really.) uniform- do I have to reach Admiral to use the uniform? I want to cruise around in my retro Miranda with all my officers sporting those red snap vests with black bellbottoms! Now!

Unlocks aren't available in Beta

Dewar on
    PAsig.jpg
    ^This is like the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese's^
    edited January 2010

In Inventory, there is a button called replicator. It is effectively a mini shop, where you can buy tea and crumpets, and sell your stuff. Again, saves you having to go back to spaceport.

EDIT: note that you can only use it when you're on your ship.

WMain00 on
    edited January 2010

I can't see these links, because they're websensed. You may have better luck than me.

Basically, you can look at the Champions sites and get a fair idea of what performance will be like for a given card, as they use the same engine. This is readily apparent when you're on the ground.

Websensed for me as well. Thanks though, I'll do my research tonight and go buy one tomorrow :D

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    The replicator is awesome. No more trash. We need to invent this technology now. My apartment would be spotless.

GungHo on
  • Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ToyD wrote: »
    Question that may have been asked before, but only a few links in the OP that are conveniently blocked here at work.

How would one acquire an open beta key?
    If someone has an extra one of these, could you pass it on this way?

Thanks!

I'm curious if there's any other links to beta keys too - fileplanet and tentonhammer are out, and incgamers is still borked.

Caramel Genocide on
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Th replicator is one of my favorite parts. definately.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

In Inventory, there is a button called replicator. It is effectively a mini shop, where you can buy tea and crumpets, and sell your stuff. Again, saves you having to go back to spaceport.

EDIT: note that you can only use it when you're on your ship.
    You can drag items at any time onto the button itself to sell them. Opening the menu to buyback/buy/sell requires you to be on the ship or something.

As noted in my "what to do between missions" post:
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Neato. Thanks, I'm taking that as a compliment.

Ok I do stuff in this game, but what do I do between doing stuff in this game?

-Press J. Click "Hail Starfleet" on the bottom left. Any missions available remotely show their contacts. Click contact, click mission, click accept mission. Close starfleet window
    -The J brought up journal, in the mission tab. Check missions. Be confused at the bad mission text and try to figure out what Sector Block, what Sector in that block, and what System in that sector you need to go to.
    -Press M, click galaxy tab to find the sector block and sector and figure out how to get there
    -Get to the sector block. Notice you're on a wierd sector space place you might not like. It's like... an astrometrics map with blue lines and orbits and it's like you're flying on a giant map with a grid and stuff. Wiiiieerrrd.
    -Press M again, goto system list. You can double click the system to autopilot there.
    -Enter system. It's your own instance. You're now alone. Maybe with your team if you have one. Fleet Actions and enemy contacts are public. If you don't like being alone you can do some wierd setup where others with that same setup with auto join you or you autojoin them when entering a map like that.
    -Do space stuff. maybe you're done. Maybe you need to fly close to something to beam down. Do ground stuff. Finish up and leave the system back into sector space.
    -Press J, Hail Starfleet, turn in missions, check for new ones
    -Press K, spend your own skill points on skills. After spending x points, you level up. This is why some/many people go "hey i'm 11 why can't i get a new ship?" You need to spend your points to effectively level up, then at 11 you get autohailed for your new rank/ship mission.
    -Press I, is your inventory full? Drag things to the bottom right to autosell to the replicator. Or click replicator to open it up and buy sell... ok ok... to replicate/dematerlize in energy credits. Energy Credits is replicator currency. Also used to bater with normal people. users for equipment and material goods.-Want to use a bank, or get new bridge officers or change your looks at a tailor or your ship looks or visit an auction house or a store or change ships? Find a spacedock. Sol SpaceDock is available with the magic of transwarp. You can use this ability to go to sol spacedock with a 30min cooldown.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I'm curious if there's any other links to beta keys too - fileplanet and tentonhammer are out, and incgamers is still borked.

And to answer my own question, I found this:

http://www.startrekonline.com/openbeta#faq

I got mine from warcry just now.

Caramel Genocide on
    edited January 2010
    How do you use transwarp? Haven't figured that one out!

WMain00 on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Websensed for me as well. Thanks though, I'll do my research tonight and go buy one tomorrow :D

The 4670 is indeed the superior card. I think i paid 90 dollars for mine, and that was like a year ago. You might have a hard time finding them since the 4600 series wasnt very popular and i couldnt find a lot of stores that had it in stock. I think i finally got it at best buy or futureshop after looking for about a week or so.

The downside to this card? Mine might be defective, but its fairly loud. All the reviews i read said it was whisper quiet, but mine whirrs up like a jet engine under any load (even using features of aero glass in windows vista/7 makes the fans spin up). I have a pretty high tolerance for fan noise, more than most people, so that kinda shocked me after i heard so much about it being quiet.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I think you can click on an empty hotkey which will bring up a menu with possible abilities and items you can use. Just scroll down the list.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh yeah, as for this game, its pretty fun so far. Its a little bit overwhelming at first but i think ill understand it eventually. Still really havent figured out how buying stuff works, or upgrading my ship, or leveling up. Travel and combat ive got a pretty good handle on i think.

Leveling up is the one i really dont get at all though. I got a bunch of skill points, and used them. After i put 9 points into one skill, it said i was a lieutentant. But... nothing else really happened. I think maybe im doing it wrong or something. I also never really saw any indication of what my level or rank was anywhere. I think i need to go through the menus or something, i was realy more just anxious to play yesterday, i didnt have patience to read anything more than mission descriptions.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • DewarDewar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I think you can click on an empty hotkey which will bring up a menu with possible abilities and items you can use. Just scroll down the list.

There's also some shield commands on there that are handy if you don't want to futz with the ship silhouette.

Dewar on
    PAsig.jpg
    ^This is like the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese's^
    edited January 2010
    There's a button that looks like a wormhole on the starship interface. I think you can also press T, but I cannot confirm until I'm at home. I found that out by accidentally doing it.
    Zeon wrote: »
    Leveling up is the one i really dont get at all though. I got a bunch of skill points, and used them. After i put 9 points into one skill, it said i was a lieutentant. But... nothing else really happened. I think maybe im doing it wrong or something. I also never really saw any indication of what my level or rank was anywhere. I think i need to go through the menus or something, i was realy more just anxious to play yesterday, i didnt have patience to read anything more than mission descriptions.
    If you play pen and paper RPGs, it's like Dark Heresy. You have to spend points to level up. You don't have to spend 9 points in one skill... it's really any combination of skills. There's a tutorial pop up that explains it. When you level up later, it doesn't change anything either.

If you want to know your level/rank, it's at the very top left of the screen. The experience bar is there as well. It's not like a lot of MMOs where everything's flashing in your face. The interface is actually pretty clean... except for the orange & white tutorial boxes, which are totally garish. It's like they thought they were coding for the Starsky & Hutch MMO.

GungHo on
    edited January 2010
    Gonna get a radeon 4670 512meg after work. From what I've read it runs slightly faster than the 1gig (2008MHz, the 1GB memory runs at 1600MHz), and most importantly the store doesn't have the 1g in stock :p

Great success!

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm running a GTX 280, and rolling the drivers back to 190.62 seemed to resolve my ground stuttering issues.

dwwatermelon on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Considering they could have gone overboard and done a LCARS styled UI, be thankful for the current implementation. I'm sure there is a group of trek diehards that are lamenting that choice.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Katana-srKatana-sr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can people please stop calling closed betas open betas? You need a key for this, which you can't get freely. There are some lotteries and stuff, but most require a site membership.

An open beta is open for everyone.

Katana-sr on
    edited January 2010
    There's a button that looks like a wormhole on the starship interface. I think you can also press T, but I cannot confirm until I'm at home. I found that out by accidentally doing it.

Man, thank you! I didn't know there was anything to do but troll around the sector map at full speed.

dwwatermelon on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Katana-sr wrote: »
    Can people please stop calling closed betas open betas? You need a key for this, which you can't get freely. There are some lotteries and stuff, but most require a site membership.

I've seen or heard about at least 3 websites giving away anywhere from one thousand to TEN thousand beta keys, first come first server.

Seems open enough to me.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited January 2010

I've also seen it stated multiple times that open beta refers to the fact that there is no NDA required to get in, not that anyone can get in willy-nilly.

dwwatermelon on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Closed Beta - NDA, information is closed. Usually a smaller amount of players.

Open Beta - No NDA, information is open. Usually a larger amount of players. Stress testing.

Lucascraft on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Quick question ... when I beam down to a planet with my bridge officers. How the fuck do I get them to just follow me? I can set rally points ... but why isn't she just following me around?

And on a related note ... why could I only choose the profession of my first bridge officer, but not race, gender, appearance and name? Or have I missed something?

TheBigEasy on
  • MEGAMERICANMEGAMERICAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Closed Beta - NDA, information is closed. Usually a smaller amount of players.

Open Beta - No NDA, information is open. Usually a larger amount of players. Stress testing.

Simplify that to Open != Free (free as in information not as in beer)

That's typically for a good reason as servers have enough problems when it isn't free.

MEGAMERICAN on
  • KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As far as Open Beta's go, this has probably been the smoothest one i've ever been in. Some issues getting dc'd yesterday, but it was working perfectly for me earlier on today, with not a single crash in 3 hours of play.

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got the client for my own PC and played straight off yesterday. Quick patch this morning and I was off to the races.

Moved the client files to my son's computer - he needed a 10Gb patch which just completed, and now another one has started! A 10Gb patch? That can't be right - I think the client files themselves are only 7 Gb.

I'm guessing these patches aren't real, that this is some anti-pirate thing.

Anyone see this or can confirm - if so I will just download to his PC legit - he's got his own Key I just wanted to avoid the 1.5 day download.

hamdingers on
This discussion has been closed.