As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video game sales thread December: It's over, use the new thread

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    All this does is point to a longer console generation with more same engine sequels. Nothing we didn't know before.

It does help point to the reasons why so many studios have folded recently. One or two mistakes and you are done. No one is going to publish a game by someone who lost millions and you're going to be in the hole something fierce. Maybe you are lucky and can recoup some costs by selling some valuable IP...if you had any. Most of the fallen do not.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not to mention this will make companies even more risk adverse. We'll keep seeing stuff from the same IPs, and what few new IPs are out there will by and large be insanely derivative *cough coughdante'sinfernocough*

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The issue is that most games didn't make a profit to begin with. Publishers sort of went with a shotgun approach where as long as few games were hits they would cover the losses with the profit they made. The problem is those big games now cost so much more to make that they can't possibly cover the losses of the failures. It becomes even worse when those failures now lose even more money than they did before. Publishers are then left with a major flaw and are forced to drastically reorganize (which is where the job losses are coming from).

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What I got out of that wired blog post is that an average movie cost 65 million with another 35 million in ads.

Hey game publishers, advertise your fucking games before you bitch that it didn't sale.

AZChristopher on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yeah, marketing has always been key to making sales...why some devs can't seem to grasp that is puzzling.

what's even more confusing is when publishers refrain from marketing good games. sometimes it seems like devs rely more on internet buzz than anything else. I mean, if games themselves are such huge investments, doesn't it make sense to cement that investment by making absolutely sure that the market notices a quality product?

but then again, I'm not foolish enough to believe that I really understand the complete picture. Perhaps that's just not realistic for some companies, especially the small ones. It seems to me that generally all the big companies are thriving while the smaller dev houses are dying off one by one. That might not be indicative of stupidity as much as it is of an imbalanced system. Nintendo is probably the only company right now that can get away with stretching a small budget, being conservative with marketing, and still making loads of profit. Regardless of what criticisms the big N is worthy of, it's hard to deny that they really know how to make a buck these days.

Guek on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Not to mention this will make companies even more risk adverse. We'll keep seeing stuff from the same IPs, and what few new IPs are out there will by and large be insanely derivative *cough coughdante'sinfernocough*

Maybe. Not the best example though, given EA's recent history. They seem to have embranced at least some "risky" titles recently, and many of their games which don't appear to have done so well commercially I've personally loved; Brutal Legend, Dead Space etc. Hell they have Rock Band too don't they? The best game of all time?!

Edit; And is Dante's Inferno really all that derivative? Not played the full game but the demo seemed pretty great.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    And this is why we absolutely do not need a new generation of consoles with fancier graphics, unless we want half the industry collapsing in the first place.

I wouldn't be shocked if the third-parties were practically begging Sony and Microsoft to not release new machines.

True, and let's face it, if MS or Sony did release a new console right now? Unless it was the second-coming of Jebus, it would be DOOOOOMED.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    And this is why we absolutely do not need a new generation of consoles with fancier graphics, unless we want half the industry collapsing in the first place.

I wouldn't be shocked if the third-parties were practically begging Sony and Microsoft to not release new machines.

True, and let's face it, if MS or Sony did release a new console right now? Unless it was the second-coming of Jebus, it would be DOOOOOMED.

this is why I think nintendo is probably also hesitant to release a brand new console. MS and Sony are clearly in it for the long haul. For most devs, the only attractive thing about the wii is its massive installed base. Why would nintendo want to start over at zero? Unless nintendo can release a WiiHD that is literally just a wii that takes existing games and outputs them in HD, a new console seems highly unlikely.

That said, if nintendo WERE able to somehow launch a new console with more power than both the 360 and PS3 and have it succeed somewhere along the line the wii has, Sony and MS would seriously be in deep shit once they did decide to finally upgrade their existing consoles.

Guek on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So we're all waiting for another video game crash?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    [ . Hell they have Rock Band too don't they? The best game of all time?!

MTV Games has Rock Band.

EA is only the distributor.

They pack stuff up and send it to retail and that's the extent of their involvement with Rock Band.

slash000 on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    slash000 wrote: »

MTV Games has Rock Band.

The pack stuff up and send it to retail and that's the extent of their involvement with Rock Band.

And Customer Support, I believe.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We talked about this in the last thread. I recall saying that this was ultimately an unsustainable business model.

Further, the Wii (and DS and PSP) are really stopgap solutions in terms of alleviating the crushing dev costs. The mindset of the publishers needs to change - that's the crux of the issue.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

MTV Games has Rock Band.

The pack stuff up and send it to retail and that's the extent of their involvement with Rock Band.

I don't think that they offer this service for free...

Evander on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Evander wrote: »

MTV Games has Rock Band.

But they don't actually fund the development of the game and thus don't really have any say in how Rock Band evolves, etc.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited January 2010

MTV Games has Rock Band.

Crazy. Wonder what RB3 might bring this year if it hits. Slash, I always remember you being a massive part of the (GH) music genre love-in. Do you have RB2, are you burnt out, or are you looking forward to the next thing?

Coz man, I had a hard time with the game of the decade choice.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Evander wrote: »

MTV Games has Rock Band.

Thank you. Would you like to go by Captain? Or do you prefer the full Captain Obvious?

slash000 on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow Slash, when you bite...you bite!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited January 2010
    Slash, I always remember you being a massive part of the (GH) music genre love-in. Do you have RB2, are you burnt out, or are you looking forward to the next thing?

I used to be huge into the music band games. I got RB2, but some time last year I just got really burnt out on the whole thing. I haven't really touched RB or GH in many months outside of a few occasional play sessions at friends' places.

I guess I'm not really highly anticipating the next iteration of RB or GH at this point. Maybe if I continue to play other stuff, over time, I'll get back into it. But not any time soon.

Unfortunately.

I know that RB2 is probably the best product of the bunch. But having played the hell out of all of these games since the original Guitar Hero launched, I'm really burnt out on it all. I wish I could get that feeling of freshness back and really get into these games the way I used to, but I just don't any more. And I've kind of plateau'd on skill as well, which kind of bars that satisfying feeling of getting progressively better. Oh well.

slash000 on
    edited January 2010
    Slash, I always remember you being a massive part of the (GH) music genre love-in. Do you have RB2, are you burnt out, or are you looking forward to the next thing?

I used to be huge into the music band games. I got RB2, but some time last year I just got really burnt out on the whole thing. I haven't really touched RB or GH in many months outside of a few occasional play sessions at friends' places.

I guess I'm not really highly anticipating the next iteration of RB or GH at this point. Maybe if I continue to play other stuff, over time, I'll get back into it. But not any time soon.

Unfortunately.

I know that RB2 is probably the best product of the bunch. But having played the hell out of all of these games since the original Guitar Hero launched, I'm really burnt out on it all. I wish I could get that feeling of freshness back and really get into these games the way I used to, but I just don't any more. And I've kind of plateau'd on skill as well, which kind of bars that satisfying feeling of getting progressively better. Oh well.

Cool, but sad too I guess :P

Unusual to see such a high level of burn-out. I know what you mean though, my plastic guitar fingers are pretty much done-and-done.

Did you ever get decent at the drums?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Media Create Sales: Jan. 4 - 10, 2010

1. [PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix) - 446,000 / NEW
    2. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 159,000 / 2,867,000
    3. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 94,000 / 2,596,000
    4. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 54,000 / 1,474,000
    5. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 48,000 / 466,000
    6. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 42,000 / 1,844,000
    7. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Pokemon) - 37,000 / 3,576,000
    8. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 37,000 / 1,013,000
    9. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 33,000 / 1,668,000
    10. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 27,000 / 532,000
    I think the new Kingdom Hearts game is doing better than the DS one.

Couscous on
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Media Create Sales: Jan. 4 - 10, 2010

11. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 (Bandai Namco)
    12. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G BEST Reprint (Capcom)
    13. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
    14. [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010 (Hudson)
    15. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
    16. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix)
    17. [NDS] Prof. Leyton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5)
    18. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
    19. [WII] Poke Park Wii: Pikachu's Big Adventure (Pokemon)
    20. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam Next Plus (Bandai Namco)
    21. [NDS] Peng 1 Gran Prix: Penguin no Mondai Special (Konami)
    22. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Vancouver Olympics (Nintendo)
    23. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)
    24. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Bandai Namco)
    25. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
    26. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinals of the Starry Skies (Square Enix)
    27. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
    28. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 12 (Konami)
    29. [PSP] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Ancel 3 (Bandai Namco)
    30. [WII] Tales of Graces (Bandai Namco)
    Couscous wrote: »
    358/2 Days opened at 291k, 522k at the end of the year.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Edit; And is Dante's Inferno really all that derivative? Not played the full game but the demo seemed pretty great.

Earlier in this thread I called it God of War 1.5, which it essentially is. It'd be God of War 2.5 but the level design, graphics, gameplay and general level of polish don't even come close to matching God of War 2. Throw on a public domain name, get a handful of ideas from its setting and boom, you've got Dante's Inferno.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Earlier in this thread I called it God of War 1.5, which it essentially is. It'd be God of War 2.5 but the level design, graphics, gameplay and general level of polish don't even come close to matching God of War 2. Throw on a public domain name, get a handful of ideas from its setting and boom, you've got Dante's Inferno.

Gameplay-wise, it's such a blatant, flagrant rip-off of God Of War that if some no-name indie publisher released it and not EA, I'd be pretty sure that Sony would sue them.

It also accomplishes the enviable feat of making God Of War seem nuanced and coherent in comparison. The demo alone had the most "What the fuck?" moments since the Bayonetta demo. And not really in a good way.

Lawndart on
  • OpiateOpiate Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    [/QUOTE]
    Couscous wrote: »
    358/2 Days opened at 291k, 522k at the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

Better than 358/2. Better than KH1. Worse than Dissidia. Worse than Crisis Core. Much worse than KH2.

For comparison. I'm not sure which one of those is the most apt.

Opiate on
    edited January 2010
    Gameplay-wise, it's such a blatant, flagrant rip-off of God Of War that if some no-name indie publisher released it and not EA, I'd be pretty sure that Sony would sue them.

Gameplay wise, God of War is an enormous rip off of games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden.

I'd assume you make this link because Dante's Inferno seems to rip God of War's atmosphere. Western canonical lore, huge, god like enemies, and the like. I absolutely make the same connection, but not just for gameplay reasons.

Opiate on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Opiate wrote: »

Gameplay wise, God of War is an enormous rip off of games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden.

I think what you mean is that Dante's Inferno seems to rip God of War's atmosphere. Western canonical lore, huge, god like enemies.

It's more the fact that button for button, what you input does the same thing as God of War.

-Loki- on
    edited January 2010

Unusual to see such a high level of burn-out. I know what you mean though, my plastic guitar fingers are pretty much done-and-done.

Yeah, it sucks to get burned out on it. I poured probably hundreds upon hundreds of hours into Guitar Heroes 1, 2, and 3, and Rock Band 1 and a little into Guitar Hero 4. But even after getting Rock Band 2 the burned out feeling had already started to set in.

I just don't get that same level of enjoyment out of it any more that I used to. The novelty is gone. The freshness is gone. I don't get that "feeling" like I'm "playing" the music any more. My skill has plateaued on every instrument so I don't get that rewarding/satisfying feeling of progressively building skill. It's still fun but I have no desire to spend any more money on it, and at this point I'd rather be playing other games.

As far as drums, I got okay at them before burning out on this stuff. I can play a good chunk of songs on Expert and nearly every song on Hard pretty easily. The thing that trips me up on Expert is the foot pedal; not keeping track of it with my eyes and rhythm, but rather, I can't physically get my leg to do the proper motion to hit certain beats. Oh well. I enjoy playing Lead Guitar the most, still, anyway.

slash000 on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

I think what you mean is that Dante's Inferno seems to rip God of War's atmosphere. Western canonical lore, huge, god like enemies.

It's more the fact that button for button, what you input does the same thing as God of War.

Yes. This.

In addition to ham-fistedly attempting to copy God Of War's atmosphere, even when it makes no fucking sense whatsoever, the actual gameplay in the Dante's Inferno demo is identical to that of God Of War.

Not heavily influenced by, I mean identical down to the button presses, including the QTE's and even grabbing onto a big monster's head and riding them around beating up smaller monsters. It's especially blatant when you play both on the PS3.

Like them or not, God Of War at least bothered to add gameplay aspects to (and subtract some from) the games it ripped off. The schmoes behind Dante's Inferno didn't even bother with that.

Lawndart on
  • SpontaneousSpontaneous Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    I wonder if the Open Source movement can have any influence on the creation and distribution of games.

Spontaneous on
    edited January 2010

I'd assume you make this link because Dante's Inferno seems to rip God of War's atmosphere. Western canonical lore, huge, god like enemies, and the like. I absolutely make the same connection, but not just for gameplay reasons.

o_O No. God of War borrows ideas from other games (not just DMC or NG) and puts its own spin on them, making it its own game. Devil May Cry did the same thing with other games (like Castlevania) and so did Ninja Gaiden (particularly DMC and Onimusha).

Dante's Inferno though, is a blatant God of War clone. The atmosphere's the same, the monster types are exactly the same (with zombie soldier, minotaur and cyclops equivalents), the controls are almost exactly the same (the only real difference is that they've swapped a couple of buttons around), the level designs are incredibly similar, when an enemy is nearly dead you can grab it and choose how to kill it and you unlock new abilities by collecting specific 'souls'. Hell, they've even got the health/magic chests in there, replaced with little fountains.

Unco-ordinated on
    edited January 2010

o_O No. God of War borrows ideas from other games (not just DMC or NG) and puts its own spin on them, making it its own game. Devil May Cry did the same thing with other games (like Castlevania) and so did Ninja Gaiden (particularly DMC and Onimusha).

Outside of literally copying game code verb atem, no game is entirely unoriginal. Or entirely original, for that matter. A game like Call of Duty, for example, is heavily derivative. A game like Portal is less derivative, even though they share common, well understood tropes like being in first person and shooting things.

If you'd like to argue that a really violent action game built on fast combos and giant bosses isn't derivative of a game like DMC, which is a violent action game built on fast combos and (slightly less big) bosses, then I guess we just have different measurements of what is original. On a scale of 1-10, where 10 is an impossibly original game, I'd put God of War as a 2 or 3. It's extremely derivative.
    Dante's Inferno though, is a blatant God of War clone. The atmosphere's the same, the monster types are exactly the same (with zombie soldier, minotaur and cyclops equivalents), the controls are almost exactly the same (the only real difference is that they've swapped a couple of buttons around),

Yeah, another poster commented on this. Sounds awful. Thus, I'd give this a "1" on the originality-meter.

Opiate on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just to comment on Dante's Inferno.

Basically, it was like playing a GoW1 clone that had been prettied up for next gen consoles(but not really because it looks horrible)...then to reward you for slogging through the boring combat they reward you with very, rude tits in every cutscene. Not to mention X-treme chest stitching.

I just bought a 120GB HDD for my Xbox. I have 98GBs of space left. I still deleted that demo as soon as I was done with it.

It's like they're trying to appeal to the 13 year old kid whose never played a good action game or discovered internet porn yet.

Dragkonias on
    edited January 2010
    If you squint your eyes and then watch someone play Dante's Inferno, you could easily mistake it for God of War.

slash000 on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Just to comment on Dante's Inferno.

Basically, it was like playing a GoW1 clone that had been prettied up for next gen consoles(but not really because it looks horrible)...then to reward you for slogging through the boring combat they reward you with very, rude tits in every cutscene. Not to mention X-treme chest stitching.

I just bought a 120GB HDD for my Xbox. I have 98GBs of space left. I still deleted that demo as soon as I was done with it.

It's like they're trying to appeal to the 13 year old kid whose never played a good action game or discovered internet porn yet.

That last line describes GoW perfectly. They even ripped that off. Anyways, don't we have a dedicated Dante's Inferno bitch thread? Thankfully tomorrow is NPD day and that should drown it out for a bit...I hope.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well. The DI thread has been taken over by cloudeagle complaining that DI is disrespecting the original literary work.

I really don't care about that myself, I just think it's a bad action game.

Dragkonias on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you saw the Giant Bomb quick look, Brad mentions how the last time he played it, the fountains were treasure chests. I guess that was enough change for EA.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited January 2010
    Outside of literally copying game code verb atem, no game is entirely unoriginal. Or entirely original, for that matter. A game like Call of Duty, for example, is heavily derivative. A game like Portal is less derivative, even though they share common, well understood tropes like being in first person and shooting things.
    This is obvious.
    If you'd like to argue that a really violent action game built on fast combos and giant bosses isn't derivative of a game like DMC, which is a violent action game built on fast combos and (slightly less big) bosses, then I guess we just have different measurements of what is original. On a scale of 1-10, where 10 is an impossibly original game, I'd put God of War as a 2 or 3. It's extremely derivative.

I'm really not sure how to reply to ridiculous crap like that, especially when you don't seem to have even played the game. Personally, I'd draw more similarities with games like Prince of Persia and Onimusha, since God of War has a far greater emphasis on the puzzles and platforming than DMC has ever even tried to do.

Rakai: You'll find that a lot of the 'olol 13 year olds' stuff in God of War are actually traits of the things God of War's based on (Swords and Sandals movies).

Unco-ordinated on
    edited January 2010
    This is obvious.

That's what I thought last time: obviously, things aren't black and white. However, I had to explicate it for you then, so I wasn't sure if I had to now.
    I'm really not sure how to reply to ridiculous crap like that, especially when you don't seem to have even played the game. Personally, I'd draw more similarities with games like Prince of Persia and Onimusha, since God of War has a far greater emphasis on the puzzles and platforming than DMC has ever even tried to do.

First of all, please don't be rude. I'd appreciate it.

And yes, I've played them (Well, I've played God of War and Ninja Gaiden. Both 1 and 2 of both series). The puzzles are facile and I really can't consider them a significant drawing point for the series. It's a bit like saying Portal is a combat game, because you kill GlaDos at the end. No one buying these games are buying them for the puzzles, or combat, respectively.

The game's draws are 1) Graphics and presentation, and 2) Intense combat, focused on combos and reverses.
    Rakai: You'll find that a lot of the 'olol 13 year olds' stuff in God of War are actually traits of the things God of War's based on (Swords and Sandals movies).

And also traits of God of War. If we can agree that Dante's Inferno is based on God of War, would we excuse its puerile nature because of that? Of course not. So too, God of War: do we excuse the callow nature of its content because the movies its based on are equally immature?

Although one could easily argue that there is nothing to excuse. That is, there isn't anything inherently wrong with puerile content: however, the people who started this line of conversation certainly do seem to view it as a bad thing, which is true for most people, I suspect.

Opiate on
    edited January 2010
    First of all, please don't be rude. I'd appreciate it.

And yes, I've played them (Well, I've played God of War and Ninja Gaiden. Both 1 and 2 of both series). The puzzles are facile and I really can't consider them a significant drawing point for the series. It's a bit like saying Portal is a combat game, because you kill GlaDos at the end. No one buying these games are buying them for the puzzles, or combat, respectively.

The game's draws are 1) Graphics and presentation, and 2) Intense combat, focused on combos and reverses.
    How wasn't it ridiculous? You basically said that since GoW has combos and giant bosses, it's a DMC clone. Never mind the fact that those were hardly new concepts, even at the time (again, Onimusha).

As for the puzzles, I never said they were a main drawing point for the series, just that there was a far greater emphasis on them than there is in the DMC series. That is what makes the God of War series to me, all of those aspects (presentation, combat, platforming, puzzles) combined. Whereas I play DMC games for the combat and the combat alone. It's the difference between playing something like Gran Turismo and Burnout.
    And also traits of God of War. If we can agree that Dante's Inferno is based on God of War, would we excuse its puerile nature because of that? Of course not. So too, God of War: do we excuse the callow nature of its content because the movies its based on are equally immature?

Although one could easily argue that there is nothing to excuse. That is, there isn't anything inherently wrong with puerile content: however, the people who started this line of conversation certainly do seem to view it as a bad thing, which is true for most people, I suspect.

I wasn't excusing anything. If he doesn't accept that explanation, fine, but that doesn't mean they just threw those things in to be super cool and extreme.

Dante's Inferno, on the other hand, DOES seem to be doing that. Why else would you have a fucking guy stitch a cross to his chest? Put lakes of sperm in the game? Or have evil babies coming out of giant nipples?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah, it sucks to get burned out on it. I poured probably hundreds upon hundreds of hours into Guitar Heroes 1, 2, and 3, and Rock Band 1 and a little into Guitar Hero 4. But even after getting Rock Band 2 the burned out feeling had already started to set in.

I just don't get that same level of enjoyment out of it any more that I used to. The novelty is gone. The freshness is gone. I don't get that "feeling" like I'm "playing" the music any more. My skill has plateaued on every instrument so I don't get that rewarding/satisfying feeling of progressively building skill. It's still fun but I have no desire to spend any more money on it, and at this point I'd rather be playing other games.

As far as drums, I got okay at them before burning out on this stuff. I can play a good chunk of songs on Expert and nearly every song on Hard pretty easily. The thing that trips me up on Expert is the foot pedal; not keeping track of it with my eyes and rhythm, but rather, I can't physically get my leg to do the proper motion to hit certain beats. Oh well. I enjoy playing Lead Guitar the most, still, anyway.

So is there supposed to be a Rock Band 3 this year? I ask becuase I'm on the Wii and due to its development dates, theres no support for large sd cards or track packs/albums in RB2. Beatles rock band recognised the large sd card so I'm hoping these things will be in place.

I'd ask in the Rock Band thread, but the only answer I ever get is " get a 360 and spend lots of money on the games again, and the guitars and the tracks I'd have to buy again" both in thread and in real life.

I'm considering the drums. HMV in Ireland are having a massive sale and I could get a GH metallica bundle with guitar and drums for €70. Thats pretty cheap in comparison to usual prices, especially after i use the game and guitar (have them already) against another title later.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.