As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BYOC: Questions/Concerns

WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in PAX Archive
Like woh man! Less than 3 months to the big days, I recently put together my new gaming rig and thought about PAX East 2010 Bring Your Own Computer. This being my first time going to a BYOC event, especially with this computer, I proceeded to post to the community (in hopes to get some help). Throughout the duration of my thinking, a few questions came up in my head...
  • Will desktops occupy too much room within the given parameters (this is an ATX midtower we're talking about, dimensions (LxWxH) 20.00"x7.48"x17.68")?
  • Are desktops preferred over laptops, or vice versa? In what ways?
  • My PC is equipped with a CPU heatsink that makes somewhat significant noise, will that disturb my neighbors/room?
  • Is even getting into the BYOC possible for the common-PAX Attendee (is it likely to get a spot reservation)?
  • Is it worth it (lugging a 25+ pound machine to the con and back home, will there be enough people to participate in even the most specific/strange genre)?
  • Holy crap, hundreds of dollars worth of machinery is in this somewhat public space, will my PC get stolen/damaged/gutted?
  • Generic/Stupid: When will signup for BYOC start?

P.S.: Happy New Year!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Wingedillidan on

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Like woh man! Less than 3 months to the big days, I recently put together my new gaming rig and thought about PAX East 2010 Bring Your Own Computer. This being my first time going to a BYOC event, especially with this computer, I proceeded to post to the community (in hopes to get some help). Throughout the duration of my thinking, a few questions came up in my head..
    • Will desktops occupy too much room within the given parameters (this is an ATX midtower we're talking about)?
    • Are desktops preferred over laptops, or vice versa? In what ways?
    • My PC is equipped with a CPU heatsink that makes somewhat significant noise, will that disturb my neighbors/room?
    • Is even getting into the BYOC possible for the common-PAX Attendee (is it likely to get a spot)?
    • Is it worth it (lugging a 25+ pound machine to the con and back home, will there be enough people to participate in even the most specific/strange genre)?
    • Holy crap, hundreds of dollars worth of machinery is in this somewhat public space, will my PC get stolen/damaged/gutted?
    • Generic/Stupid: When will signup for BYOC start?

P.S.: Happy New Year!

*: No they wont, over half of everyone brings their desktop
    *: Whatever :P either or
    *: as long as its not louder than a 1U server then i doubt many people care. The room is huge and theres well over 600 high end systems in there, noise is expected
    *: Yes it is. Theres well over 600 computers in that room (half are freeplay, half are byoc) so you have lots of people to play games with. Plus its nice to have your own little part of pax to retreat to.
    *: Thats my job. Nothing that we track has ever been stolen from pax. We have an extensive security setup in the BYOC room so nobody but you can walk away with your equipment. Only BYOC attendees are allowed in the BYOC room
    *: Keep an eye out on these forums, a post will go up around Late Jan.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    *: as long as its not louder than a 1U server then i doubt many people care. The room is huge and theres well over 600 high end systems in there, noise is expected
    *: Yes it is. Theres well over 600 computers in that room (half are freeplay, half are byoc) so you have lots of people to play games with. Plus its nice to have your own little part of pax to retreat to.
    *: Thats my job. Nothing that we track has ever been stolen from pax. We have an extensive security setup in the BYOC room so nobody but you can walk away with your equipment. Only BYOC attendees are allowed in the BYOC room

I think someone's trying to avoid a question ;p "Is even getting into the BYOC possible for the common-PAX Attendee (is it likely to get a spot reservation)?"

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

I think someone's trying to avoid a question ;p "Is even getting into the BYOC possible for the common-PAX Attendee (is it likely to get a spot reservation)?"

Missed that one. BYOC ticket sales are first come first serve, once they are sold out thats it. No non BYOC attendees are allowed into the BYOC room. (aka, no non BYOC guests)

BigRed on
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As long as you are keeping tabs on things the tickets shouldn't sell out in a day, so if you are on top of it you should be able to get a spot just like anyone else.

Azazel on
  • Options
    thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ahhh that kind of sucks that non-byoc cant come in. I have friends im going with but they are not all bring computers... :(

I also am bringing my 8bit black mage computer case mod i made and believe other geeks would like to see it :D

thorkon on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    thorkon wrote: »
    Ahhh that kind of sucks that non-byoc cant come in. I have friends im going with but they are not all bring computers... :(

I also am bringing my 8bit black mage computer case mod i made and believe other geeks would like to see it :D

My wife wasn't planning on bringing her computer... think I might be skipping BYOC then. D'oh. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CreepoCreepo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Will an email be sent out when BYOC registration opens, or will it be posted on the forums first?

Creepo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Creepo wrote: »
    Will an email be sent out when BYOC registration opens, or will it be posted on the forums first?

Both, it gets posted on the forums a few days before the email though. Id check the forums often for the best chance at it.

BigRed on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited January 2010
    Signups should go live by the end of the month, and when it looks to be less than 7 days out I'll try and remember to make a post to warn ya'll.

I will say that when signups do go live, do not delay. I expect them to sell out within a week.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    CreepoCreepo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the info. I already registered, but I don't remember if there was a checkbox to be notified of the BYOC registration. Is there a way I can update that if I didn't do it when I registered?

Creepo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shoot me a pm with your email address and I'll make sure you are on the list or get added to it.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I believe we're about one week out from having BYOC signups ready for ya'll.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Woo Hoo!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
This discussion has been closed.