As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Color Wheel game over. Blue, Purple, and Black win.

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    CrownAxe wrote: »
    Would this phalla have the most victories so far?
    Savant wrote: »
    Unfortunately, today I've been convinced that there is a pretty big flaw in the rules in this game. Oh well, too late to go back now.

:?

Yeah... 'competing' factions with a conversion system by which any subset of players containing the right converters could win together. It was definitely interesting, and I like the concept of public mechanics and actions, but it just didn't quite work as conceived.

If by "any subset", you include "all players", then yes, that was the main problem with this game. It was possible on day 1 for every single player to win if you engineered the conversions and what not correctly. Just convert everyone to one primary color and one of it's allied primaries, or to black.

Too much conversion floating around. If I did something like this again I'd have only have conversions for Jokers and just change the starting make up of the factions.

Savant on
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finale

Survivors!

adventfalls - Purple Spectrum Red
    Alegis - Purple
    Arasaki - Black
    Burnage - Purple Spectrum Violet
    CrownAxe - Blue
    Daius - Purple
    Darian - Purple
    Dusda - Black
    eeccccoo tthhee ddoollpphhiinn - Purple
    Egos - Purple
    Hippie - Black Spectrum Green
    IAmSquishy - Black Spectrum Blue
    immortal squish - Purple
    LemmingHead - Purple
    Loxx - Purple
    Malkor - Purple
    Mr. Defecation - Purple
    TheLawinator- AWESOME, Spectrum Yellow
    Rend - Black
    samurai6966 - Purple
    ShadowThomas - Blue
    Zellpher - Black

Blue, Purple, Black, and the SPECTRUM FIVE win!

Fix'd

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here are the starting role and color combinations:
    Abysmal Lynx, Joker, White
    adventfalls, Joker, White
    Alegis, Converter, Red
    Arasaki, Eliminator (Green Bonus), Black
    Bremen, Manipulator, Blue
    Burnage, Eliminator (Purple Bonus), White
    crimsoncoyote, Eliminator (Orange Bonus), Red
    CrownAxe, Protector, White
    Daius, Manipulator, Red
    Darian, Seer, White
    Delphinidaes, Manipulator, White
    Dunadan019, Joker, White
    Dusda, Eliminator (Orange Bonus), Black
    Ebfan, Protector, White
    eeccccoo tthhee ddoollpphhiinn, Eliminator (Orange Bonus), White
    Egos, Eliminator (Green Bonus), White
    enlightenedbum, Redirector, Black
    FrostMist, Mimic, White
    garroad_ran, Eliminator (Purple Bonus), White
    Gumpy, Converter, White
    HamHamJ, Eliminator (Purple Bonus), Blue
    Hippie, Eliminator (Purple Bonus), White
    IAmSquishy, Eliminator (Purple Bonus), Black
    immortal squish, Eliminator (Purple Bonus), Red
    Infidel, Manipulator, White
    Jaenther, Mimic, White
    JaysonFour, Protector, White
    jdarksun, Joker, White
    Kevin R Brown, Redirector, White
    Kias, Protector, Black
    kime, Redirector, White
    LemmingHead, Converter, White
    Lightblade, Eliminator (Green Bonus), White
    lonelyahava, Seer, Blue
    LoserForHireX, Converter, Black
    Loxx, Mimic, Blue
    Lucedes, Redirector, White
    Malkor, Eliminator (Green Bonus), Blue
    Maximus, Eliminator (Green Bonus), Yellow
    Mr. Defecation, Eliminator (Green Bonus), White
    MrBlarney, Eliminator (Orange Bonus), Yellow
    Osvik, Eliminator (Orange Bonus), White
    Raneados, Joker, White
    Rawkking Goodguy, Manipulator, White
    Rend, Seer, Red
    Robos A Go Go, Converter, Yellow
    samurai6966, Eliminator (Orange Bonus), White
    ShadowThomas, Converter, Blue
    shalmelo, Manipulator, Yellow
    TehSloth, Protector, White
    Teucrian, Seer, White
    The_Reflection, Seer, White
    TheLawinator, Redirector, White
    Tiphareth, Mimic, Yellow
    Toxic Toys, Protector, White
    TrueNeverborn, Redirector, White
    Typhus733, Mimic, White
    warban, Mimic, Red
    Zandracon, Joker, White
    Zellpher, Seer, Yellow

Savant on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    :lol:, I enjoyed my death this game, it was fantastic. And I became a verb!

Thanks for running!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    kime wrote: »
    :lol:, I enjoyed my death this game, it was fantastic. And I became a verb!

Thanks for running!
    I'm a formerly white, now red converter.

Ha ha, I kept Kime white. >=D

Proboards, though Alegis or somesuch will need to open them.

Darian on
  • Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is my first Phalla win, except that 21 other people won

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    As for my thoughts about how the game went, other than too much conversion I don't feel too bad with who won. White didn't seem to have much of a strategy, and should have been trying to hunt down the converters either to kill them or get themselves converted out of white. Some White players attempted to do that, but I didn't see any concerted strategy to do it. Also, the "stack the vote all on one guy" strategy was really stupid and White gave up its advantage in numbers to control the different colors of votes to being whittled away by conversions. That allowed the black alligned purple/red/blue network to grow in power and pick you off even when they didn't have real control over the Yellow vote yet.

Yellow got totally stomped, I'm not sure much could have been done for them given how much they got ganged up on and taken out by random shots from eliminators. Their converter was Robos, who got killed on day 2, and both of his targets were quickly converted to black. If White had figured this out they could have offed those two Black players, Hippie and Rend, without too much trouble, and figured out who the other people doing conversions were.

There were also a bunch of times where there were pretty interesting ties that went against White because the people who got their votes and targets in first picked the wrong side. I believe Alegis, the red then purple converter, dodged multiple close calls.

Savant on
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yep, White didn't have a chance. So it goes. Still, a rather interesting game concept. How unfortunate that I was unable to make it past Day 2. I was kind of expecting to make a longer run after surviving Day 1, but I suppose that was not to be. But on the up side, it's good to know that there are people out there who will grudge for me, haha. I don't have to grudge if others will do so for me!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How the deuce did I not get killed? I thought people would find my inactivity highly suspicious.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You disappoint me, Advent!

Where are the babes in the Dead Ranger thread!?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, pre-game alliances screwed White over. IAmSquishy was black and in both the spectrum 5 and trueneverborn's group, so there were like 6 White players at the start in cahoots with him.

ahava said something about not trusting Infidel in faction games, but you SHOULD NOT TRUST THE SPECTRUM 5 in faction games. If they have an opportunity to screw the village over, they will take it. It doesn't seem to matter that that it isn't always the same players amongst them, as infidel backstabbed the village when he was one in the latest disgaea game.

Savant on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As for my thoughts about how the game went, other than too much conversion I don't feel too bad with who won. White didn't seem to have much of a strategy, and should have been trying to hunt down the converters either to kill them or get themselves converted out of white. Some White players attempted to do that, but I didn't see any concerted strategy to do it. Also, the "stack the vote all on one guy" strategy was really stupid and White gave up its advantage in numbers to control the different colors of votes to being whittled away by conversions. That allowed the black alligned purple/red/blue network to grow in power and pick you off even when they didn't have real control over the Yellow vote yet.

As a white seer, I couldn't tell how useful my ability was; with 4 conversions a night + kills, it didn't seem likely that white would manage to pull out a victory. Add in the relative inaccuracy of the seering (it gives non-friendly for all non-white, so it couldn't be used to reliably find the blacks we actually needed to kill) and the fact that I masoned up with a red day one (Daius manipulated me to red so that he seered friendly, then took pity on me and explained what happened), and I was very quickly looking to build toward a red+something victory.

Managed to stumble across another friendly color seer (Zellpher found me, actually), then by figuring out who had converted him we connected with the main purple/black group.

I very much enjoyed the logic-puzzle nature of the mechanics in this; thanks for running it!

Darian on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Darian wrote: »

As a white seer, I couldn't tell how useful my ability was; with 4 conversions a night + kills, it didn't seem likely that white would manage to pull out a victory. Add in the relative inaccuracy of the seering (it gives non-friendly for all non-white, so it couldn't be used to reliably find the blacks we actually needed to kill) and the fact that I masoned up with a red day one (Daius manipulated me to red so that he seered friendly, then took pity on me and explained what happened), and I was very quickly looking to build toward a red+something victory.

Managed to stumble across another friendly color seer (Zellpher found me, actually), then by figuring out who had converted him we connected with the main purple/black group.

I very much enjoyed the logic-puzzle nature of the mechanics in this; thanks for running it!

Teucurian, one of the other white seers, caught a few black players with his seering, but I didn't seem him leak that info anywhere before black offed him.

Also, you could have tried to use the vote to form multiple bandwagons to try to figure out roughly which colors players were like happened in the early days. If someone had a vote combination that looked likely to be white but seered as non-white you could have sniffed out black that way. And finding white's with the seering let you form networks.

Though, you got manipulated by daius on your seering of him.

Savant on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so what did it pretty much go as expected, Savant? Or were the pre-game alliances a surprise?

Egos on
  • Options
    LoxxLoxx Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    We managed to form the Red/Blue/Purple alliance by night 2 with a weird combination of luck. I was the Blue mimic, and discovered that Robos was a converter the first night. The next day Rend, Red Seer, contacted me and we correctly figured Robos was the yellow converter. Rend had contacted several other Reds and Blues already, so we pooled together to get rid of yellow as quickly as possible.

Loxx on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I win.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    so what did it pretty much go as expected, Savant? Or were the pre-game alliances a surprise?

I expected more killing, less mass conversions.

I was not at all surprised by pre-game alliances, though it ended up with some of those players getting screwed. Which when I realized the combination of players and factions in the alliances was totally expected.

Savant on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I actually enjoyed this game quite a bit. The conversion mechanic was fun as was trading information for a conversion. Felt nice and shady. Good job running it. I'm glad I got out of yellow while the gettin' was good.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    IAmSquishyIAmSquishy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    B:L wrote: »

You disappoint me, Advent!

Where are the babes in the Dead Ranger thread!?

I was waiting for the babes for a while...

Please don't touch the Spectrum Cannon, that things a bitch. Its still got kime guts all over it

IAmSquishy on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Black boards: http://www.blacksonly.proboards.com/index.cgi

I was expecting more of us to die, we were reasonably inactive and disorganised.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was making a deal with the blues and looking for the blue converter, and in the process of trying to make a deal of information with Robos when Loxx clued me in that something was amiss. In about ten minutes I had logic'd out that he was the yellow converter, and was like "oh crap."

Luckily for me, He was not very forthcoming in agreeing to my deal, and so I stopped negotiations before they really even started, and we killed him in order to control the conversions pretty much from that day forward.

At that point, it was just a matter of converting everyone we were all in contact with.

Rend on
  • Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Someone stole my picture :P

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Does someone want to explain the spectrum 5 thing to me?

Been out of phalla a while...

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Arasaki wrote: »
    Does someone want to explain the spectrum 5 thing to me?

Been out of phalla a while...

The origination of the Spectrum 5 is out of Disgaea. They are essentially a parody of the Power Rangers. So in the Disgaea phalla some people joined up a the Spectrum 5 and acted appropriately over the top. In the latest Disgaea game they abused the mechanics to become a neutral faction that in the end sided with the mafia.

Savant on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It was glorious.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Me and Spectrum 5 are best buddies forever.

Burnage on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This victory is dedicated to Bremen and Ahava, who should have lived to see the original, humble plans of a Purple supremacy come to pass.

And fair play to Darian for doing all the hard work for Red team that I should have bothered doing.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh, apologies to jdarksun for killing him. I thought he was white :(

Arasaki on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    stupid black killed me

I COULDA BEEN ONE OF YA

Raneados on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    stupid black killed me

I COULDA BEEN ONE OF YA

Hey, you lasted a day longer than I thought you would!

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Purple Alliance boards opened to public

http://purplefashion.proboards.com/index.cgi

Alegis on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Their converter was Robos, who got killed on day 2, and both of his targets were quickly converted to black. If White had figured this out they could have offed those two Black players, Hippie and Rend, without too much trouble, and figured out who the other people doing conversions were.
    Yeah I think burnage even revealed in the thread he was the converter. Loxx found out by Mimicking on day 1. With yellow conversion dead it was easy to relegate to purple and send off all the remaining yellow pigment players to black.
    I believe Alegis, the red then purple converter, dodged multiple close calls.

8-)

Alegis on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    by the by savant.

the easiest way for white to win would have been for someone to do a role call on day 1. since you told us how many of each starting role there were, we could have broken the game pretty easily.

I didn't because I woulda felt bad if you waited a week for it to get full and it was effectively over in a day.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Except, since whites could be converted out of white but not vice versa, it was not in a white player's best interest to aim for a certain white victory.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    by the by savant.

the easiest way for white to win would have been for someone to do a role call on day 1. since you told us how many of each starting role there were, we could have broken the game pretty easily.

I didn't because I woulda felt bad if you waited a week for it to get full and it was effectively over in a day.

I'm a bit doubtful that would have been a foolproof way for white to win, but it could have helped them to try it and try to get some sort of organization up and running. It also likely would have helped keep the Jokers around longer instead of being bandwagoned and black killed so often.

Also, in retrospect, I probably should have had three results of seering: "Friendly", "Neutral", "Enemy" depending upon whether you wanted them to live, die, or didn't care based on your win condition.

Savant on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would not have responded to a role call, as any colour could have done it day 1. Wouldn't have trusted a black with that information.

Now who killed me.

Why would you do that.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, I expected the Jokers to use their powers a bit more aggressively, as it provided more specific results than seering did. Given the great lengths that were taken to kill jokers I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Savant on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Burnage wrote: »
    Except, since whites could be converted out of white but not vice versa, it was not in a white player's best interest to aim for a certain white victory.

except on day 1.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I would have just claimed I was white, as would the rest of the black players. You would have had to seer everyone to check that (or get lucky with picking seer targets), so it probably wouldn't have worked to ferret out black players.

I guess you could have narrowed it down further if you asked for roles as well, but I probably would have claimed seer then said the actual seer was evil. It's not a foolproof plan.

Arasaki on
This discussion has been closed.