As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Generic Interactive Tabletop Simulator - Looking for coders!

1101112131416»

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would also say 2, but if you can swing it, a mix of 1&2 would also be great...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    #2 or #3.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    3 for sure.

2 looks better in the enlarged picture, but at standard scale 3 is the only one that really shows easy to recognize hand features.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I went with 2 for them, but I expect people will edit sprites to their liking when the game is actually running so I'll leave tweaks up to others. :P

I have diced up all the created marine graphics so far, as well. If anyone cares to help me by doing the same, use these filenames as a nomenclature reference. :)

dread_ccw_ac_1.pngdread_ccw_ccw_1.pngdread_ccw_las_1.pngdread_ccw_melta_1.pngdread_missile_ac_1.pngdread_missile_las_1.pngdread_missile_melta_1.pngdread_missile_ccw_1.pngdroppod_1.pnglandraider_1.pngrazorback_hb_1.pngrazorback_las_1.pngrhino_1.pngwhirlwind_1.pngassault_cmd_1.pngassault_cmd_fist_1.pngassault_csword_1.pngassault_flamer_1.pngassault_plas_1.pngbike_1.pngbike_hb_1.pngbike_melta_1.pngmarine_bolter_1.pngmarine_csword_1.pngmarine_flamer_1.pngmarine_hb_1.pngmarine_las_1.pngmarine_melta_1.pngmarine_missile_1.pngmarine_plas_1.pngmarine_plasc_1.pngpa_chap_1.pngpa_cmd_fist_1.pngpa_cmd_sword_1.pngpa_com_1.pngpa_lib_1.pngscout_1.pngscout_bolter_1.pngscout_csword_1.pngscout_hb_1.pngscout_missile_1.pngscout_sniper_1.pngtrm_storm_1.pngtrm_ac_1.pngtrm_chap_1.pngtrm_flamer_1.pngtrm_hammer_1.pngtrm_lclaws_1.pngtrm_lib_1.pngtrm_missile_1.pngtrm_sword_1.pnglandspeeder_typhoon_1.pnglandspeeder_melta_1.pnglandspeeder_hb_1.pnglandspeeder_tornado_1.png

Ein on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    jam, how about a zip with all of them in one archive?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2007
    Ein on
  • RenegadeAceRenegadeAce Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So it looks like at this point, Space Marines are missing

Vindicator
    Land Raider Crusader
    All Predator Variants
    Tech Priest / Servitors
    It seems like the only heavy weapon there is the Plasma Cannon, which means we are missing Heavy Flamer, Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Heavy Bolter

There are a variety of other weapons combinations not shown for infantry units, but they aren't as important.

Or has someone else already done them?

RenegadeAce on
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All Marine heavy and special weapon options are there, excluding the multi-melta. While plenty of independent character and Sergeant weapon options haven't been done, I'm pretty sure all the standard Marine variations have been covered, including pistol + chainswords.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • CloakedCloaked Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Afty wrote: »
    Have you thought about using subversion, it'd be horrible to lose your work !

http://www.subversion.com/

we use it at work (web development company) to make sure we dont do idiotic things like copy over our latest versions etc.

Just chiming in to second the recommendation of subversion. It's awesome to be able to keep track of who changed what when and it lets more than one person work on the code at the same time without many issues. And being able to revert back to earlier versions of a file can be a lifesaver sometimes.

I don't have any experience setting up a subversion server, but I've used tortiseSVN for the client side of it, and its pretty nice.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Cloaked on
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This idea is so awsome that it makes me sad to see it seemingly ignored.

Now I don't know anything about coding but would it be possible to do some kind of beta version with barebones features. Like, the ability to plop down and turn the sprites (with bases) and a very simple "ruler".
    No networking, dicerolling or any other fancy features, just a board that you can import gif files into and move them around on and a ruler that gives you the distance from point A to B.

Because there are so many awsome sprites here that aren't used for anything rigth now. Would be an great way to try out new armies for yourself if nothing else.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
    edited April 2007
    Trust me, I want to get this done as well so that people can use all of the wonderful sprite artwork that's been done.

If I had any of the economic means at my disposal, I'd probably want to hire somebody to code this thing up so that I could be assured of progress, but working on a volunteer basis generally seems to entail a large timeframe. Also, it doesn't help that I know almost nothing about coding to begin with, so I can't even effectively organize people into roles. :\

Ein on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a month left of school before I graduate, with 2 term projects due in the next two weeks, and then 6 exams to worry a bout, I'm a little busy between now and then.

After april though, I'm all good to start learning Actionscript and then I can help contrubute!

I just have to focus on school for the next couple weeks.

Sharp101 on
  • ZGold550ZGold550 Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    For reasons unbeknownst to me Ein has decided to be so generous as to appoint me head-coordinator for this GITS thingy of his. I am a programmer myself (I did ein's warforge site thing), but am also a university student with not a heck of alot of time on my hands. So i'll understand whats going on, but have little time to actually work on the code itself -- hence I think coordinator is a good title for me. I'll take a look at whats been done, get the SVN and a proper TODO setup within the next couple days -- hopefully get some wheels turning.

For reference I'm ZGold550/aim and quizwiz8@hotmail/MSN and zgold550/gmail.

ZGold550 on
    edited April 2007
    Yeah. I understand that Reimann's been fairly busy with his work and life, which is totally understandable, so this morning I had a chat with ZGold and asked him if he wouldn't mind helping to coordinate this programming effort, as he has a better grasp on what needs to be done than I ever will.

Any additional people who could volunteer their efforts to this in terms of coding would be much appreciated. With all that said, though, I still expect this thread to be used as the main medium by which all of the people working on the project communicate - I don't want everything done primarily through e-mail mostly so that the rest of the forums can track the progress of this as it develops.

Ein on
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know anything about graphics but is there a graphics program (say, photoshop?) that would allow you to rotate and move sprite images like the kinds we have here, and that has a mesuring tool?

Because I just realised that such a thing was exactly what I was asking for and it should be entirely possible to play a game with sprites in a picture editing program, especially if you draw the board before you start.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ok, i'll offer my skills as a programmer (I know c++, but if i have to pick up another language no bother). Whoever is in charge of sorting this out PM me and we'll talk that way. Lets get this thing moving ;)

Prime on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still haven't seen any design documentations or been assigned anything. We do have something drawn up right? If not, we should try to get all the coders together for a session and whoever has the most software engineering experience can write it all into a coherent plan.

Valkun on
    edited April 2007
    Valkun wrote: »
    I still haven't seen any design documentations or been assigned anything. We do have something drawn up right? If not, we should try to get all the coders together for a session and whoever has the most software engineering experience can write it all into a coherent plan.

I thought Reimann e-mailed you. If not, I'll send the documentation out to you again after a bit of a re-write later today.

Or, I might just post it here.

Ein on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I did, never heard back from Valkun over email.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited April 2007
    Riemann, how many are you actually looking for to form the programming team btw?

Prime on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Preferably 3 I think.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    eigenvector at speakeasy right? I did send something quite some time ago.

Valkun on
    edited April 2007
    Just an update for you people wondering about it and whats happening, Im currently learning the software/getting it up and running, I'll then spend the next day or so playing around with it then contribute to the code base.

So keep producing that awesome art please (so envious of you art monkeys sometimes ;))

Prime on
  • zootsozootso Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey all,

I have a bunch of old tiles, sprites, and vehicles laying around from a project I worked on a few years ago (Basically, a 2D version of Battlefield 19420, from a top down view). I grabbed one of the many grass tiles we had, and voila:

Armored Column
    mockup1.png

Color is a bit bright for 40k, but it's a start, since I haven't seen any tiles yet.

I'll post some more the tiles with troops on 'em in a bit.

The WWII sprites and tanks I have would work well for Flames of War imho....

zootso on
    edited April 2007
    zootso wrote: »
    Hey all,

I have a bunch of old tiles, sprites, and vehicles laying around from a project I worked on a few years ago (Basically, a 2D version of Battlefield 19420, from a top down view). I grabbed one of the many grass tiles we had, and voila:

Armored Column
    mockup1.png

Color is a bit bright for 40k, but it's a start, since I haven't seen any tiles yet.

I'll post some more the tiles with troops on 'em in a bit.

The WWII sprites and tanks I have would work well for Flames of War imho....

:^:

I'd love to see whatever else you have

Ein on
    edited April 2007
    Oi, well here we go.

A little more fun this time, with a bunch of old bunkers, sandbags, trees, bushes, fences and whatnot.

Scouts chillaxing at fortified park, or something to that extent, heh.

mockup2.png

I'll be out of school in a few weeks, and can then sit down to go all out on tiles that look a little more...gritty. In the meantime, what sizes do they need to be? 32 by 32? (I mean for each tile, not scale size)

zootso on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How is the search for programmers going? I used to do some C++ and I'll download some of those tools for flash and have a look. Can't really promise being useful though.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited April 2007
    The project now has two new resources - the a forum and a Programming Subversion on Assembla.com.

I'm going to be working on getting both of these set up in their entirety. The forum will mostly, I think, end up being just a place to properly coordinate the individuals programming the project.

I'd ask anyone who is still willing to be involved in the programming aspect of the project please register on both the forum and assembla, and maybe send me a PM through these forums so I can add you to the GITS subversion.

Ein on
    edited April 2007
    im in ur forums
    goatseing ur programmers

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2007
    Messed around with making some 'crater' tiles. Small, and not terribly impressive, but they get the job done (i hope?!)

[img]http://ifs2.imagefly.info/t/1c/crater mockup 1.png[/img]

zootso on
    edited April 2007
    I hope this project doesn't die and dissapear...it holds so much promise...

I'm almost done with classes, then I can throw down on tiles and whatnot.

zootso on
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    BEEP ... BEEP ... ... ... BEEP ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png