As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Farscape]Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I have to say - I respect the use of puppets.

I applaud the fact that they used villains from the Dark crystal.

There's even an episode where Crichton rattles off a bunch of fake critter names and one of them is the name of the guys in Dark Crystal.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's cool to see aliens that don't look human.

It's even better when you can see the human(oid) cast members actually able to interact with said aliens.

see317 on
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just finished all three parts of Look at the Princess.

I don't know if I've ever seen a show do a love story this well.

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I applaud the fact that they used villains from the Dark crystal.

There's even an episode where Crichton rattles off a bunch of fake critter names and one of them is the name of the guys in Dark Crystal.

He's not actually listing fake critters (for the Farscape universe) He's just misprouncing the name of everything they've encountered up to that point.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I watched through season one absolutely enjoyed it, it was a little slow but interesting enough to hold interest. See random Aussie actors playing strange aliens and more often then not, the peacekeepers is great.
    I'm starting season two and my only gripe is that beyond the first episode the other episodes don't seem to gel as much, I suppose its because suddenly the focus is gone from season ones ending. All my (minor) griping stopped after seeing Crackers don't matter, holy shit that was awesome.
    I found all 4 seasons for sale $20 each at kmart, brilliant value.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The beginning parts of a given season are usually the weakest part of Farscape. (Aside from the season premiers). It usually takes a few episodes to warm up.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hearthjaw wrote: »
    I watched through season one absolutely enjoyed it, it was a little slow but interesting enough to hold interest. See random Aussie actors playing strange aliens and more often then not, the peacekeepers is great.
    I'm starting season two and my only gripe is that beyond the first episode the other episodes don't seem to gel as much, I suppose its because suddenly the focus is gone from season ones ending. All my (minor) griping stopped after seeing Crackers don't matter, holy shit that was awesome.

Get Peacekeeper Wars ASAP... or you'll be pissed off when you get to the end. Just a warning.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Get Peacekeeper Wars ASAP... or you'll be pissed off when you get to the end. Just a warning.

Cannot be limed hard enough. The echoes of your screams born from a primal, unstoppable rage will be heard over the.. well.. they will be heard.

edit : i fail at editing

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PaperPritt wrote: »

Cannot be limed hard enough. The echoes of your screams born from a primal, unstoppable rage will be heard over the.. well.. they will be heard.

edit : i fail at editing

I'm making a couple friends watch through this right now, and I'm not gonna tell them the Peacekeeper Wars exists. Their suffering shall be glorious.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    iguanacus wrote: »
    I'm making a couple friends watch through this right now, and I'm not gonna tell them the Peacekeeper Wars exists. Their suffering shall be glorious.

Who the hell do you think you are? Scorpius?

Echo on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Man, I wish I was. I'll take em out for pizza and margarita shooters after. Oooo, gotta get me a new hawaiian shirt.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just a question, from a brit.

Why the shit is the season boxsets for this so fucking expensive! 50 quid for the season one set, what the hell!

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My best guess would be out of print.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Man, I wish I was. I'll take em out for pizza and margarita shooters after. Oooo, gotta get me a new hawaiian shirt.

Nobody... has margaritas with pizza!

Mblackwell on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Nobody... has margaritas with pizza!

What about with a cherry on top?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wish I could watch this again. It used to show on BBC2 when I was a kid and I loved it but think that may just have been because it was in space. Everything I've seen of it since then shows just how fantastic it is.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BoredGamer wrote: »
    Just a question, from a brit.

Why the shit is the season boxsets for this so fucking expensive! 50 quid for the season one set, what the hell!

yeah, individual seasons are out of print and, while not hard to find, they are expensive. amazon (at least in the U.S.) is selling a Complete Series Boxset for something like $60, though, so you might look into that.

EDIT: Link

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So was it me, or did it seem like Scratch and Sniff was pretty much an elaborate lie by Crichton?

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fiziks wrote: »
    So was it me, or did it seem like Scratch and Sniff was pretty much an elaborate lie by Crichton?

I'm pretty sure there were embelishments, but ultimately I think he was telling the truth about the overall event. Then again, I haven't seen that episode in ages.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Season 4 has arrived!

Now, to watch just it, go back to 3, or watch the whole thing from the beginning? I'll probably go with 3 & 4, then start from #1 later.

I wonder what the puppets would look like in HD? Somehow I don't we'll be getting a BD set this cycle.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really can't imagine how the show would look in HD in general, since it was never broadcast in HD, and the DVD's look pretty crisp on my 50" Panasonic (plasma). Maybe it would be mind blowing, or maybe it would have that weird "overly sharp" quality.

I'm glad though that the show has minimal computer animation (I mean, there's a lot there but there's a ton more animatronics), meaning that a lot of the effects work still holds up. Not 100%, but at least 95%.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been slowly watching my way through the series over the last month and a half and I just got to the third to last episode of season 3. Season three is kinda... wow. They really played a lot with different styles and kinds of episodes and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't remember the last time a show got me this emotionally invested in it. And without this thread I never would have known it existed.

Z0re on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Z0re wrote: »
    I've been slowly watching my way through the series over the last month and a half and I just got to the third to last episode of season 3. Season three is kinda... wow. They really played a lot with different styles and kinds of episodes and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't remember the last time a show got me this emotionally invested in it. And without this thread I never would have known it existed.

The thing you can say about Farscape is that it's a show with balls. The whole thing with Crichton would have been resolved in a single episode or two in any other series. Not with Farscape.

Now I need to go watch this show for the seventh time.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2010
    So I'm about halfway through the first season. Hooray Netflix streaming. I'm enjoying it so far, except for the 20th century american pop cultural references that Crichton is constantly making. It wasn't funny or clever the first time, and he does it every five minutes. Does he stop doing it at some point?

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Nope.

And then the rest of the crew picks it up and gets it horribly wrong. :P

"Drop the gun or we'll blow you!"

"I'd rather go down on a swing."

Echo on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nope.

And then the rest of the crew picks it up and gets it horribly wrong. :P

"Drop the gun or we'll blow you!"

"I'd rather go down on a swing."

"She gives me a woody."

"What?"

"A woody ... I've heard you say it before, when someone makes you uncomfortable or ..."

"WILLIES. She gives you the WILLIES."

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "Oh, Lord, she's talkin' English..."

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

YOU DO NOT HAVE MARGARITA SHOOTERS WITH PIZZA!

GEEZ

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I'm about halfway through the first season. Hooray Netflix streaming. I'm enjoying it so far, except for the 20th century american pop cultural references that Crichton is constantly making. It wasn't funny or clever the first time, and he does it every five minutes. Does he stop doing it at some point?

It's not supposed to be funny, per se. It's more a reflection on his level of sanity than his sense of humor. It becomes more poignant later. Also, the word poignant looks ridiculous. As does the word ridiculous.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cyphr wrote: »
    Just finished all three parts of Look at the Princess.

I don't know if I've ever seen a show do a love story this well.

Also perfectly executed downer ending.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

YOU MUST HAVE MARGARITA SHOOTERS WITH PIZZA!

GEEZ

Fixed that for you :P

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's not supposed to be funny, per se. It's more a reflection on his level of sanity than his sense of humor. It becomes more poignant later. Also, the work poignant looks ridiculous. As does the word ridiculous.

Yeah. It remains something that's kind of annoying, but at the same time it's a great way of making the culture shock he's feeling visible. Later episodes involve more of it, and less of him bothering to explain anything to anyone because fuck 'em.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Different Destinations is the saddest thing.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I like the emotional pay off to this later in the series, he says something Earthy and can't remember who it is but they give him the standard o_O look and he just sounds so tired and depressed when he's starting to explain it and just trails off because he knows nobody else in the galaxy has any idea what he's talking about.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh my god, watching "Wont get fooled again" right now, from the second season. This truly is the greatest thing.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh my god, watching "Wont get fooled again" right now, from the second season. This truly is the greatest thing.

It's one of my favorite "Completely Batshit" Farscape episodes.

Farscape has a surprisingly high number of them, when I think about it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's a story about one man's descent into [strike]the Australian S&M scene[/strike] madness. What do you expect?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »
    It's a story about one man's descent into [strike]the Australian midget S&M scene[/strike] madness. What do you expect?

Fix'd that for you.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I like the emotional pay off to this later in the series, he says something Earthy and can't remember who it is but they give him the standard o_O look and he just sounds so tired and depressed when he's starting to explain it and just trails off because he knows nobody else in the galaxy has any idea what he's talking about.

My favorite one of these is at the beginning of season 2, where he's comparing Crais trying to steal Talyn with a mid-life crisis. Crais starts off by giving him this quiet, puzzled look, and then halfway through he decides that Crichton is babbling nonsense and just starts waiting for him to finish talking.

Cantide on
  • Options
    silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cantide wrote: »

My favorite one of these is at the beginning of season 2, where he's comparing Crais trying to steal Talyn with a mid-life crisis. Crais starts off by giving him this quiet, puzzled look, and then halfway through he decides that Crichton is babbling nonsense and just starts waiting for him to finish talking.

The change in Crais's character as the show progresses is probably one of my favorite bad guy turns semi-good storylines.

Another good aspect of the show is that all seems like fun and games, but by season 4 you begin to realize that all the previous seasons have taken an emotional and mental toll on Crichton. I mean the man had been chased, tortured, killed, constantly attacked by a friend, shot at repeatedly, and eventually raped. I mean he definitely would be in line for some expensive therapy!

A good example of the change in the character is in season 1 when they had to face off against those aliens with the gauntlets, John was all about the reasoning and avoiding needless deaths, but by season 4 he constantly used Winona to kill.

silverbuddy on