As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EQ] Free EverQuest Classic Server - It's Good To Be Back

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Prospero wrote: »
    I would love to play EQ, again, but I do not know if my eyes could handle the graphics at this point.

Despite how "elite" the game may have been, though, it had the best community I have ever seen (people actually wanting to help people, what is this madness?!). Too bad this genre is moving away from building community and having people socialize and making it into a selfish affair. Damn, I really want to play after thinking about it.

I love the graphics, especially because they are old. Give it a shot!

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I might have to dig around my garage for my old EverQuest CDs. I played from Kunark being released to a little after Velious, but I never really got very far. I had 3 characters between 30-36 and then probably 10 below 20. If I can find the CDs, I'll make a necromancer, monk, or magician I think.

edit: What expansions are in the Project 1999 server? No Iksar would make me sad. :(

[Michael] on
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    [Michael] wrote: »
    I might have to dig around my garage for my old EverQuest CDs. I played from Kunark being released to a little after Velious, but I never really got very far. I had 3 characters between 30-36 and then probably 10 below 20. If I can find the CDs, I'll make a necromancer, monk, or magician I think.

edit: What expansions are in the Project 1999 server? No Iksar would make me sad. :(

No expansions, so I dont think Iksar are in.

DigitalSyn on
    Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am installing now... I am almost sick with excitement.. I haven't been in the EQL world in over 8 years.

DigitalSyn on
  • Options
    B.D.V.B.D.V. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember playing EQ back in junior high, just before Kunark came out. My first experience in the MMO world...Oh the nostalgia!

... I am going to play as soon as possible.

B.D.V. on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am in, Bearfist the Barb Shaman... bumming around Halas right now.

DigitalSyn on
  • Options
    B.D.V.B.D.V. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I was rummaging around and I have the original EQ cd and possibly the kunark and Vellious expansion laying around somewhere. Do I still need to buy the titanium edition to play?

B.D.V. on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Never played EQ but I'll try this.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DigitalSyn wrote: »

Bah, I didn't know you were from Penny Arcade, or I would have said something! I have some platinum with your name on it to get you some rudimentary equipment when next I am on. :)

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [Michael] wrote: »

You need an actual copy of EverQuest Titanium, either physical or downloaded. You cannot use the old discs sadly.

There are no Iksar, as Kunark has not been released yet.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, a minor announcement:

I spoke to the server admin today, and we're going to have a guild! :) He would have made it tonight, but the server had record numbers logged in this evening, and it would have lagged the server too much to do it then, so I'm going to see about having it done tomorrow. I have no idea what the name of the guild will be, but it will more than likely not be Penny Arcade related, since not everyone who will be joining is affiliated with us. I would like to get everyone in here in the guild, though, if nothing more than an easier way to communicate with one another.

Once I find out more information, I will let you all know!

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sorry for the fourth post in a row, but updated the roster with the most current levels of each character, and the zone I think you're currently at. I've gained quite a few levels since I last updated it. In fact... ding, level 16!

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    DigitalSyn wrote: »

Bah, I didn't know you were from Penny Arcade, or I would have said something! I have some platinum with your name on it to get you some rudimentary equipment when next I am on. :)

That would rock.. I am re-learning some of the harder lessons that EQ taught me long ago..

DigitalSyn on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You dudes need to post some more screenshots!

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am going to make a bard, found my disk

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Be warned. They don't quite work like you remembered and you can't twist as fast because some songs hang or don't even activate when you click them. But damn is charm awesome. Seriously you can do spectres till 50. I did anyway.

Brian on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I only ever got to level 14 so i don't know what you're talking about

Bendery level 2 wood elf [Bard] Wassup

• Options
    BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I never had a bard my only char on Live was a 52 ranger that took me all the way through Velious to get. People that did play bards though say it's all kind of borked up but it's really not that bad just takes a little getting used to how you handle the bard. Enjoy being the fastest thing in the game though bards are the ultimate cure for altitis. All classes are inferior to the bard. Seriously I run like a goddamn jet through all the zones it's awesome.

Brian on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Brian wrote: »
    I never had a bard my only char on Live was a 52 ranger that took me all the way through Velious to get. People that did play bards though say it's all kind of borked up but it's really not that bad just takes a little getting used to how you handle the bard. Enjoy being the fastest thing in the game though bards are the ultimate cure for altitis. All classes are inferior to the bard. Seriously I run like a goddamn jet through all the zones it's awesome.

But Clerics are needed, and I have answered the call.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Do we have a guild? EQ had guilds, right? I played the damn game for 6 years and I can't remember for the life of me..

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bard was the only thing I didn't see on the list, so i thought it was something we'd probably only really need 1 of. Should i stay in kelethin or is it easier to level up in say.. qeynos? I remember playing in qeynos a lot.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I will be making us a guild shortly, since it requires GM intervention. :) At least, it does in Classic.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    what does a guild get us?

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Easier to chat with each other, really. A guild's a guild. If you've been in one MMO guild before, you've been in em' all.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I plan on playing a bit this weekend, but I just realized that Hell Levels are in the game... Gonna be PAINFUL.

DigitalSyn on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Trying to get a WoW friend to come over for a bit, he's installing everything now - He's thinking Shaman, which I am less-than-subtly trying to talk him into, lol.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    TroobleTrooble Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've always wanted to play EQ. My first MMO was SWG but I'm really interested in it for its historical value. Are there any good websites with info about classic EQ?
    I'm going in with low, low expectations as a troll warrior, or maybe dark elf cleric.
    Or not, is rolling the "evil" faction a good idea for newbies?
    Should be interesting to be a newbie with all you old pros around.

Trooble on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brian wrote: »

Be warned. They don't quite work like you remembered and you can't twist as fast because some songs hang or don't even activate when you click them. But damn is charm awesome. Seriously you can do spectres till 50. I did anyway.

can you not just /melody your songs anymore? i remember a guy i know would just /melody and it would auto twist 4 songs.

i should try and acquire titanium and play around with this again to remember how good we have it now.

since i burned my discs from this game long ago.

//seriously.

if i do i'll be a necro. should i stick with dark elf, or be something else? i know it's cliche D:

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Trying really hard to find my EQ platinum without success so far :(

I really want to run around Norrath once again.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BTW is this truely original EQ with the original character models? Or is it the fuglied up Luclin version with the new condensed zones? Original EQ models were the shit.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    At this point in time, it is Classic EQ only, pre-expansion.

I am relatively sure that /melody was added much, much later and thus is not in-game yet.

@Trooble: It can be a lot less friendly to the Evil races, since most of the cities that seem like "Hubs" are good aligned. And also are closest to the best lowbie zones like East/West Freeport, North Ro, Oasis, Crushbone, Najena, Greater Faydark.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A friend of mine just happened to have EQ Titanium sitting around so I'm installing right now. I'm pretty stoked, I loved EQ back in the day and have always wanted a classic server.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    BTW is this truely original EQ with the original character models? Or is it the fuglied up Luclin version with the new condensed zones? Original EQ models were the shit.

Yes, this is the classic models.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well I now have a high elf paladin named Darmak and I just hit level 3. I am playing with a couple of my real life friends (and we also grouped with Bendery!) and so far I fucking love it!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Awesome to have you! I'll add you to the roster now, and my friend's list tomorrow.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think I'm going to ditch the bard for a while, the 40% xp penalty is really demoralizing. Maybe a monk or something.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I think I'm going to ditch the bard for a while, the 40% xp penalty is really demoralizing. Maybe a monk or something.

My fiancee started with a bard, but yeah, they just level up a bit too slowly compared to other classes. She's now a druid, which was her main on EQLive.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here's an ugly pic of the rogue for whoever was asking for more pics =P

EQ000001.jpg

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You guys are on the wrong server, although granted PEQ the grand creation is currently down......
    EQ000680.jpg
    EQ000684.jpg

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    installed, i'm in the process of getting all the files in order to access the server.

i got a friend or 2 who will probably give this a whirl as well.

Feldorn on
This discussion has been closed.