As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grenn's stuff - Please give crit on my new site design - page 8

1235»

• Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I guess it's because in the rest of the piece your shapes are defined by harsh edges (or in the case of the shadows soft un detailed edges. The reflection would've worked better with a more simple shape, that hides the brush work, imo. Pity they wanted the sign there, I think it would've been much better more central. Still great, love the people handing files around in a circle.

Jake! on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gorgeous. I love the colour. Love it.

The only thing I'd suggest for next time would be to play around with your shadows, there's a lot of black up ins. Maybe try darker shades of the colour the shadow is falling upon instead.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Grenn, I think it rocks! I can imagine that being a cool commission to do, draw old friends/colleagues and get paid for it!

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow that is really cool. I don't really have any critique that hasn't been mentioned but that means I can just asspat some more :p wonderful job.

Veritas on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks guys. Yes it was fun to do and satisfying to manage the project efficiently so the final Giclee arrived a couple of days ahead of schedule.

D'robots, you are completely right about the shadows. I suck! :!:

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I loved the progressions thing that Beav posted, so thought I'd do one of my own:

grenn_03_09.jpg

This has made me realise 3 things:

1) I am old, and will soon die.
    2) I have never focused on my art as a career but have still been lucky enough to make money from it.
    3) I rarely, if ever, draw for fun. Only ever to serve a purpose. Usually profit.

Goal for 2010: simplify my work right down to just ideas - nothing visual whatsoever. :winky:

Grenn on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    man grenn... you were pretty much always awesome

you had some hiccups
    but generally awesome

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sincere thanks Beav, you are most kind. Oh, I've had plenty of hiccups, alright...

Doing this makes me want to go back further though! It's interesting seeing elements and motifs in my older work appear again later on - like seeing the innocuous seed of something which I would later get obsessed with.

I have actually realised a further 2 points as a result of this excercise:

4) My website is horribly out of date and very unrepresentative of work I do now.
    5) Look at how many THINGS WITH EYES I draw!!! EYES!!! Everywhere! D:

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The last three years you've been especially great though, which makes me happy, because I've got time to get better than you whilst I'm still younger than you ;)

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jake! wrote: »
    The last three years you've been especially great though, which makes me happy, because I've got time to get better than you whilst I'm still younger than you ;)

"Whilst I'm still younger than you" Does that mean you won't be younger than me at some point? :winky::lol:

Yeah, I was a late starter when it came to being focused on a career so plenty of people have the advantage on me in terms of age! I am rather an old fart. 8-)

Grenn on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Awesome.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Grenn wrote: »
    Jake! wrote: »

"Whilst I'm still younger than you" Does that mean you won't be younger than me at some point? :winky::lol:

Yeah, I was a late starter when it came to being focused on a career so plenty of people have the advantage on me in terms of age! I am rather an old fart. 8-)

Yep, because one day you'll be dead :)

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    HAHAHA, this is true. :mrgreen:

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Saw the film The Road last weekend and loved the phrase "Carry the Fire" so decided I'd do something related to that, and here's what I came up with.

ctf.jpg

Crits welcome. Is it clear that it's a heart? Hopefully so.

Grenn on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Now that you said its a heart, i can see that but I have to be honest, I first thought it was a red rubber duck with some kind of punk hairdo.

I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the drawing vs my mind's interpretation vs a heart silhouette looking like a rubber duck.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I originally thought it was a heart, but I was unsure enough that I was going to ask if it was a heart before I scrolled down and saw your text.

lyrium on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I saw a heart and I can dig it as a whole.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can tell it's a heart...I'm not digging it though, which is wierd 'cause I usually dig everything you do.
    It gets the message across just fine, but it feels a bit simplistic.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the responses guys, that's useful stuff!

I can totally see the duck thing now, and while I frequently try and simplify my work as much as I can I don't want to strip away so much that it becomes too simplistic.

I'll work on this further and see what I come up with.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think it could do with just a little more to suggest the shape, but I really like it.

Jake! on
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I skipped ahead without reading your post, I saw the heart, read the text and thought "The Road"

So it hit the nail on the head for me, but I read the book last month, so it is fresh in my head.

It might be one of those things that won't click for those who haven't read or seen it.

Great book by the way, how is the movie?

brokecracker on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cheers Jake and Broke. I've been sketching a couple of other possibilities for it, which I'll put together when I get chance.

The film was awesome. Very tense and harrowing but with little spots of joy in there that ensured it didn't become so dark as to be unwatchable.

Grenn on
  • Options
    Kevin R BrownKevin R Brown __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I really like the design, but I wasn't able to tell it was a heart. If you 'squashed' it a bit, that would probably help. :)

Or maybe I just need to rip people's hearts out more often.

EDIT: Hmm...

Heart.jpg

...Maybe you could just subtly suggest at the various chambers the organ has?

Kevin R Brown on
    ' As always when their class interests are at stake, the capitalists can dispense with noble sentiments like the right to free speech or the struggle against tyranny.'
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i saw it as a heart no problem. I'd still be game to see the other ideas for it though.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So, I brushed up on my XHTML and CSS and rebuilt my website.

http://www.armyofcats.com/DRAFTSITE

While I put the finishing touches to the shop, I thought I'd ask for some feedback.

Thoughts, musings, criticisms, outbursts, and rambling very much welcome.

If anything looks bad in a particular browser or at a particular resolution, that's the sort of thing I'm after.

Some background on my stratgey for the site: the aim not for the site to be an extensive source of examples of my work, merely a hub to enable people to either buy prints, or use the links to keep up to date with my work via the channel of their choosing (i.e. blog, or Flickr, or Facebook group, or whatever).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Grenn on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Site looks great...I like the colors and design quite a bit. Couple things, though. When I go to the blog, I'm hard-pressed to navigate my way back (I know I can click on the main logo up top, but a LOT of people won't).

Also, I noticed that you explain the navigation of the front page artwork in the little blurb below. I found that helpful, since I didn't see the arrow buttons at first. I know you probably want them to be fairly opaque in order to maximize your art's coverage (and rightfully so, it's very nice), but I think you could really benefit from making the navigation of that panel darker and more obvious. If people see the arrows, they WILL know to click them. That way, you could use the space below for some more content :)

Just a couple suggestions. I always find it better to let the site speak for itself rather than having to explain it to your visitors. All-in-all, I'm really liking it though. It's very clean and stylish. Well done!

EDIT: BTW, I'm using the newest Firefox and everything looks in-order. I re-read your post and thought I'd be a bit more helpful to your specific request.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Looks good, there's way too much popping up/sliding on in the main bit though. Have you considered something like this;

http://trunkfilms.com/

Jake! on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    man.. I really got annoyed by the descriptions popping up into the image. I dig that link jake suggested, i think if you went more in that direction and nixed some popping up bits.. would be better.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the feedback guys, it's valuable stuff.

Hmmm... the first version of the site didn't have the popup descriptions because I thought they were a bit too distracting BUT the feedback I got was that, though the images were nice, people wanted descriptions... it seems I can't quite win with this one! o_O

I'll have a play with it and see if I can find a happy medium.

Cheers again for having a look.

Grenn on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    just don't have the descriptions pop up over the image.

Also, I'm using Chrome on XP and the slideshow section isn't centered with the layout:

grennsite.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks again for the feedback all - you've been most helpful.

Pop up descriptions are now gone and replaced with static descriptions as part of the image, which are hopefully less distracting.

Site is now displaying properly in Chrome.

Ta!

Grenn on