As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I have very [CHAT] expectations for this thread. Very [CHAT] indeed.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Flay wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Flay wrote: »
    Drive (Incubus) is difficult. :?

The song?

Yus. The rhythm is kind of difficult, compounded by the fact that I'm now trying to avoid using tabs and videos and use only sheet music.

Oh- the sheet music bit would be rough. I'd personally recommend going by ear and sheetmusic since... sheet music doesn't really tell you where the note is actually played. Its not as big a deal in classical guitar music since typically everything is played closest to the nut of the guitar. Electric is a bit different. Though, i just listened to the song... it sounds like it should be fairly straight forward even with sheet music alone. Godspeed.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Loomdun wrote: »
    teratoma

I hate you so much for having me google that word out of curiousity.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    its CANDYYYY

Loomdun on
    splat
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Put a visitor counter on the website that shows visitors how many times visitors have visited the website.

And nothing else.

Website done.

Grenn on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Fucking god damn fucking shit fuck ASS FUCK YOU FUCKING FUCK INGROWN TOENAIL JESUS FUCK.

bombardier on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Get it lopped off. Takes less than an hour, and after it heals up you don't need to worry about it.

The ingrown part of the nail, not the toe.

They nuke the root (acid!) and tell you to soak it and change the bandage regularly. It feels a little weird when they're cutting the nail because you can still feel the toe past where the numbness goes, so you feel tugs as the doctor does all the stuff.

Juts be sure to have a small tub, some epsom salt, some medical gauze, and medical tape at home before going in for it.

MKR on
    edited January 2010
    I've had ingrown toenails removed a few times, though I've not been troubled by them again and it's been quite a few years.

The last time, though, I fainted while being given the injection and had this insane and incredibly vivid dream about scenes from the film Fight Club. I remember feeling very calm and relaxed and very concious of my thoughts and the passage of time - almost like lucid dreaming - and I recall thinking to myself, "it's OK, you're in the hospital having an operation so you're supposed to be asleep."

I was in this dream-like state for what felt like ten minutes or so, when I was suddenly woken up by the doctor and had no idea where I was. I asked how long I was out for, and the doctor said, "no more than a second or two." and then I freaked out because of how real the passage of time felt to me while I was out cold.

Basically, get it removed, it's awesome. :mrgreen:

Grenn on
    edited January 2010
    Like an idiot, I said no thanks when the doctor offered to do the other toe for free. Years later I have no insurance or money to pay for it and would really like to get it fixed.

It's only $200, but that's a lot of money right now.

MKR on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ever since I came back, I've been really sad.... :( I miss my GF....

MagicToaster on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    aw toast... sorry :(

guys.. I don't usually put a lot of merit in dreams. I usually think that it's your mind sorting through your days events
    but last night I had a dream that... I dunno man, my subconscious is fucking with me I think:

Backstory, when i was a kid, my dad drew a lot. It really inspired me to be where I am, I would watch him for hours and make requests. He was good at it, as I remember but I was young. My aunt from Greece came to live with us for a year and a half. We shared a bed because we were poor back then, I was 12-13 so an awkward time. She was a fine artist. She would sit in the basement painting with oils for hours and I would watch her. She'd make sculptures with plaster and I'd help her pour and mix. She was a huge part of me becoming an artist.

She was also horribly depressed and no one ever thought to help her. She went home to Greece and committed suicide over some guy. I never got to really say bye to her and what's worse, I was 13 years old, so I was hormonal and bitchy, I was kind of mean to her near the end. Sharing a bed like that with someone can get a little trying, especially at that tumultuous age. Dad had stopped drawing a few years before, but I've not seen him draw anything since then, I think she was a big inspiration to him too, and he was always very against me becoming an artist, he still gets a little moody about it because frankly, I look a lot like Dimitra and we have many of the same interests. He's linking her depression and suicide to art.

After she died I was sort of traumatized. I started seeing things that weren't there, and hearing voices at night when I was trying to go to sleep. It terrified me, but it went away after a while once puberty hit full swing.

Anyways, last night I had this very vivid dream
    i was living in an apartment, I've been in this apartment in dreams before, and in the dream it was mine and I recognized it but i can't place where it is.
    She was living with me
    I would walk into her room and just look at her, say hi, and comment on the fact that all of dad's drawings were on the wall
    she'd nod and say hi and stuff
    I then would go do something else random in the dream
    then I came back for a third time to see her and all of dad's drawings were gone. Instead there was this ugly picture of a man. I said "dad's drawings are gone"
    and she said "he doesn't draw anymore"
    so I say "How are you feeling anyways?"
    and she said "I'm good"
    I say "I'm thinking of learning Greek"
    and she said "i'm very proud of you"

I woke up bawling and I'm bawling now
    these are things I've not thought of in years, why are they suddenly surfacing in such a strange collection of relevant thoughts?
    usually my dreams are scattered and don't make a lot of linear sense. This one did and it's fucking with me.

beavotron on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    beavotron wrote: »
    aw toast... sorry :(

guys.. I don't usually put a lot of merit in dreams. I usually think that it's your mind sorting through your days events
    but last night I had a dream that... I dunno man, my subconscious is fucking with me I think:

Backstory, when i was a kid, my dad drew a lot. It really inspired me to be where I am, I would watch him for hours and make requests. He was good at it, as I remember but I was young. My aunt from Greece came to live with us for a year and a half. We shared a bed because we were poor back then, I was 12-13 so an awkward time. She was a fine artist. She would sit in the basement painting with oils for hours and I would watch her. She'd make sculptures with plaster and I'd help her pour and mix. She was a huge part of me becoming an artist.

She was also horribly depressed and no one ever thought to help her. She went home to Greece and committed suicide over some guy. I never got to really say bye to her and what's worse, I was 13 years old, so I was hormonal and bitchy, I was kind of mean to her near the end. Sharing a bed like that with someone can get a little trying, especially at that tumultuous age.

After she died I was sort of traumatized. I started seeing things that weren't there, and hearing voices at night when I was trying to go to sleep. It terrified me, but it went away after a while once puberty hit full swing.

Anyways, last night I had this very vivid dream
    i was living in an apartment, I've been in this apartment in dreams before, and in the dream it was mine and I recognized it but i can't place where it is.
    She was living with me
    I would walk into her room and just look at her, say hi, and comment on the fact that all of dad's drawings were on the wall
    she'd nod and say hi and stuff
    I then would go do something else random in the dream
    then I came back for a third time to see her and all of dad's drawings were gone. Instead there was this ugly picture of a man. I said "dad's drawings are gone"
    and she said "he doesn't draw anymore"
    so I say "How are you feeling anyways?"
    and she said "I'm good"
    I say "I'm thinking of learning Greek"
    and she said "i'm very proud of you"

I woke up bawling and I'm bawling now
    these are things I've not thought of in years, why are they suddenly surfacing in such a strange collection of relevant thoughts?
    usually my dreams are scattered and don't make a lot of linear sense. This one did and it's fucking with me.

It's perfectly natural, buddy.

Metalbourne on
    edited January 2010
    Anything change in your life recently?

MKR on
    edited January 2010
    no not really, my life has been awesome lately
    I think a part of me feels like I wish she was alive to see what I became and how much she was a part of that.
    A lot of good opportunities came up last year, and they're only getting better this year. I've been thinking a lot about my future, not so much about the past that led me to it though.
    i know she would be proud of me if she were still around.

beavotron on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

You'd be surprised, actually. It's usually when you're feeling your best that this kind of stuff crops up because emotionally you feel like you're in a place to be ablel to deal with it.

Metalbourne on
    edited January 2010

You'd be surprised, actually. It's usually when you're feeling your best that this kind of stuff crops up because emotionally you feel like you're in a place to be ablel to deal with it.

yeah that makes sense
    my mental filing cabinet must have got the memo that things are looking up for me

beavotron on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That explains why I feel so great despite being a constant example of someone with no self control who also suffers from chronic failure.

rts on
    edited January 2010
    god dammit i hate crying
    my body basically sucks up all water and expels it through my eyes. for the rest of the day I will cry at the drop of a hat. If someone says anything even remotely sentimental I will bawl.
    If i walk into a hallmark store, it'll be like an emotional tsunami.
    I can't stop until every drop of liquid has been squeezed from my body, and I pass out from exhaustion
    it's AWFUL
    I avoid crying at all costs. it usually just sneaks up on me.

beavotron on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Firstly, Beav, I hope you don't still feel guilty about how you might have behaved before your aunt unfortunately took her own life. You were a child in an uncomfortable situation, and you had no way of knowing what she was going to do. You loved her, and I'm sure she loved you, and that takes precedent over all petty arguments (we all have these with our family and they're often easily forgiven).

About the dream, I can't speculate on the spiritual implications it may have for you, but it seems to me that your mind is trying to resolve the scenario through an anxiety dream. These are dreams that come when we least expect them to, and have strong emotional symbolism, and are caused by either stress around you, the fear of something unknown, or even things that have been eating away at the back of your mind for awhile.

In my experience, I've been having separation anxiety dreams of late surrounding leaving my family, growing up, and finding my own way, which is months away. When I have something similar to your dream, usually involving my closest family members, something starts out one way, and then changes just like that. With the part about your dad's pictures being gone, and the comment "he doesn't draw anymore," that seems to me like it's about change, and the fear surrounding being further and further away from that time in your life. I can't assume that's what it means to you though.

Nic on
    edited January 2010

Not only that but, whether conciously or not, your mind is constantly taking events in the present and linking them with past experiences.

It is likely that you've found yourself thinking 'how far you've come' or that you're simply satisfied with your recent accomplishments in art etc. and in doing so, subconciously thinking back along the path that's influenced your art career.

It's natural to be surprised and in some cases emotional when our subconcious throws up something with a clarity that we thought we'd forgotten. You should be thankful, Beavs, that you got to see her again, in a way, and view it as a happy thing.

Also, really sorry to hear your feeling down Toast. Chin up, sailor, you'll be right.

Grenn on
    edited January 2010
    thanks guys

you're all so insightful :)

beavotron on
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    e-hugs all around :c

I hate crying also cos I usually get horrible headaches. I'm also a crybabby and cry about weird things.

Lexxy on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    beav, that strikes me as a really powerful and positive dream, overall. you are a fantastic artist, and i bet she would be proud of you.

sure, you'll cry for a bit, but that's healthy. smiles wouldn't mean anything without the tears.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited January 2010
    I find dreams completely facinating, actually.

In my early 20's, there was a period of time where I had a real problem with completely insane, incredibly lucid dreams. They were these huge, sprawling things with implied backstories and unnatural concepts. I would wake up and feel like I'd been in David Lynch film and just spend the rest of the day feeling quite bewildered.

I recall one dream where... (spoilered for possible 'only of any real interest to me' material)

the earth had been taken over by a malign presence and was 'testing' humanity. In part of the dream gravity reversed itself and people were just being sucked up into the air. Another part of the dream involved a book which, if you read it all the way through, when you turned to the last page there would be a picture of the most terrifying thing imaginable, except you could only see it if you'd read the rest of the book in it's entirity. I recall watching a friend of mine turn to the final page and just collapse in the most horrible manner in front of me.

In the same dream, I also had a son, a little boy, which didn't at all seem out of place. When I woke up the memory of having a son was so tangible and so sad, that I spent the day thoroughly miserable and couldn't really explain to anyone why.

Grenn on
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's pretty intense!

My dreams have been pretty standard lately, I guess? Nothing memorable. My favorite dreams are the ones that are borderline nightmare--I used to have a lot of dreams involving zombies or some other kind of survival-oriented strife, and have also died many times in my dreams only to not wake up, but continue on as a ghost. I haven't had any flying or especially lucid dreams lately either. I almost wish I knew what triggered these things, but I have a feeling some of them involve unhealthy amounts of stress.

Lexxy on
    edited January 2010
    holy crap grenn
    all of those dreams could be movies
    especially the book one

the son one made me really sad
    oh look, i'm crying again
    DAMN YOU HORMONES!

beavotron on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    last night i had a dream about telling an old man why he shouldnt spank his 2 year old grandson

i dream every (EVERY.) night and remember it every morning.

i just want to sleep for once. i am so sick of dreaming.

mully on
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I used to have a lot of good and memorable dreams, but lately i think i've been so exhausted that I don't dream anymore. Or at least don't remember them. It feels like i'm closing my eyes at night and immediately reopening them to find that it's morning, just as exhausted.

Yesterday after the gym around around 12:30am I had to pick up some iced tea so my wife has some form of caffeine in the house the next day so I swung to Path Mark (super market). I remember parking the car, but then two guys were tapping at my window. Turns out they were employees, and wondering if I were okay. I'd been sleeping there for about an hour.

bebarce on
    edited January 2010
    It was like that every night for a time - the most bizzare, incongruous and insane things my brain could come up with. I actually went to the doctors to ask for something to stop me dreaming. D:

Fortunately, it all stopped when I let Jesus into my life.
    In this instance, Jesus was actually beer. :winky:

Grenn on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I sometimes get crazy ass lucid dreams, but only when I nap for about 2-3 hours. I always forget them in a haze afterwards though.
    I only remember this one as REALLY real.

One day, I was sleeping on my back (which I never do, because it fucks up my dreams apparently), and I saw this bigass spider crawling lazily over me on the bed. Now, I'm totally fine with spiders, and even though this one was about the size of a small cat, I didnt really mind it plodding around.
    I started talking to it like one talks to a pet: "hey buddy, whatcha doin?". Then it walked up to my chest where my arm was laying, and looked my in the eyes. It looked like it was going to bite me in the arm, and I was kinda confused with it.
    I said "Hey buddy, you better not bite me." Then it sloooooowly stuck its fangs into my arm. And I said: "Awww... why would you go and do that?" My arm started feeling all cold and icey because the venom was going through it, and it started to hurt. Then I tried to move my arm to shake the spider off, but I could move it.
    Then I started to panic and woke up. I still couldnt move my arm and sat up with a start. Apparently, my arm was pinned under my covers so I couldnt move it, and it had fallen asleep and felt all tingly. Took me a few seconds to sort all this out in a cold sweat. I'm still fine with spiders though.

Also, e hugs for Beav. I always feel better, or relieved after a good bout of random crying though, I'm sure you will too (after you blow out all the snot)
    This song really made me weepy and smirky at the same time. Also Tim Minchin is awesome.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktT-ljyMqYA

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • ChillyChilly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was going to write about what kind of dreams I have, but after re-reading the paragraph, I realized it spoke a little too deeply for me, revealing things I don't want to admit to myself, much less people on the intertubes. So, after thinking on it, I deleted what I wrote and wrote this explanation instead ^_^

Also, I have never had a lucid dream before. They sound cool, I would like to have one, one day.

Chilly on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    McGibs wrote: »
    I sometimes get crazy ass lucid dreams, but only when I nap for about 2-3 hours. I always forget them in a haze afterwards though.
    I only remember this one as REALLY real.

One day, I was sleeping on my back (which I never do, because it fucks up my dreams apparently), and I saw this bigass spider crawling lazily over me on the bed. Now, I'm totally fine with spiders, and even though this one was about the size of a small cat, I didnt really mind it plodding around.
    I started talking to it like one talks to a pet: "hey buddy, whatcha doin?". Then it walked up to my chest where my arm was laying, and looked my in the eyes. It looked like it was going to bite me in the arm, and I was kinda confused with it.
    I said "Hey buddy, you better not bite me." Then it sloooooowly stuck its fangs into my arm. And I said: "Awww... why would you go and do that?" My arm started feeling all cold and icey because the venom was going through it, and it started to hurt. Then I tried to move my arm to shake the spider off, but I could move it.
    Then I started to panic and woke up. I still couldnt move my arm and sat up with a start. Apparently, my arm was pinned under my covers so I couldnt move it, and it had fallen asleep and felt all tingly. Took me a few seconds to sort all this out in a cold sweat. I'm still fine with spiders though.

Also, e hugs for Beav. I always feel better, or relieved after a good bout of random crying though, I'm sure you will too (after you blow out all the snot)
    This song really made me weepy and smirky at the same time. Also Tim Minchin is awesome.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktT-ljyMqYA

fuck you botp. I knew that was going to happen.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited January 2010
    my sincere apologies D:

Chilly on
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chilly wrote: »
    I was going to write about what kind of dreams I have, but after re-reading the paragraph, I realized it spoke a little too deeply for me, revealing things I don't want to admit to myself, much less people on the intertubes. So, after thinking on it, I deleted what I wrote and wrote this explanation instead ^_^

Also, I have never had a lucid dream before. They sound cool, I would like to have one, one day.

I used to have faux lucid dreams. I'd realize i'm dreaming and think, "I can do anything I want!" Then i'd start flying around. Whilst aloft I'd realize that I don't actually want to fly, but at that point i realize i'm not actually in control of the dream.

So i just keep floating over the neighborhood looking grumpy.

bebarce on
    edited January 2010
    I used to almost grasp lucid dreams. Like you.

I would be all like, "Yo, shit dawg, I think I be all up in a dream and shit, I'm about to blaze it up in here."
    Then I would promptly get run over by a train or something.

Although, one time I had a dream that Samuel L. Jackson shot me off the second floor of a building for buying a Spawn comic in a comic book shop which he apparently owned. I still don't understand to this day why he would sell them if he didn't like them =/

It proved to be a memorable dream though, because I had it when I was 14 and I can recall the whole thing still.

Chilly on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The other night I dreamt that I was working on a TV show that I had made up. We were shooting the intro, and in the dream i thought... "Oh God... this show is going to suck!"

It was about two black guys that worked delivering news papers, but they were really good buddies and it was a really wholesome kinda show.

MagicToaster on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    Get it lopped off. Takes less than an hour, and after it heals up you don't need to worry about it.

The ingrown part of the nail, not the toe.

They nuke the root (acid!) and tell you to soak it and change the bandage regularly. It feels a little weird when they're cutting the nail because you can still feel the toe past where the numbness goes, so you feel tugs as the doctor does all the stuff.

Juts be sure to have a small tub, some epsom salt, some medical gauze, and medical tape at home before going in for it.

It happens a few times a year. I might do it next time but I don't want to be at home nursing a wound over my birthday. It stopped throbbing in ridiculous pain and only hurts when I put pressure on it now. Maybe that's the Tylenol though.

bombardier on
    edited January 2010
    Definitely do it between injuries. I got mine done the day after I whacked it against a desk, and it took weeks to heal, and it hurt to wear shoes.

MKR on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    I have never had a lucid dream. As soon as I realize that I am in a dream, my control over the dream stops.

For example: in one dream I had the powers of the animorphs, so I was going to turn into a bird. I turn into the bird and I'm thinking "Oh great, it's time to fly!" And then...nothing. I spent the rest of the dream as a bird hopping around in my front yard because I couldn't make myself fly.

Though I have sometimes confused dreams for reality. Particularly when I was ill during high school, and would go to the clinic to take naps during math class. I had a dream during one nap that I woke up, went to class, and got yelled at by the teacher. She told me I was a worthless failure and that I would never pass the class.

In the dream she sent me back down to the clinic and I went back to sleep.

That's when I woke up for real.

I went back to class with a real sullen feeling and very slowly realized that it was all a dream.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A couple times a month I dream that I can't fall asleep. Those are the worst. Just sitting in bed, and trying to sleep. But being refreshed in the mornings, though distraught.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
    edited January 2010
    gibs i have those weird dreams all the time where something is happening in real life but it registers as something different in your dream

I also used to get night terrors and sleep paralysis
    my poor mother had to be woken up to me every night screaming my head off
    i had to sleep in her bed for a while so she could try to control it and keep me from scaring the shit out of my sisters every night

sleep paralysis is the worst
    it's when you wake up during deep sleep stage 4 and your cerebellum is still set to "do not get up and move around" mode it takes a few seconds to turn on, but you are completely paralyzed during this time, sometimes fully awake, it is horrifying.
    people who sleep walk or act out their dreams have the opposite problem

beavotron on
This discussion has been closed.