As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[!] Metal Gear Monday - MARK ALL SPOILERS, some people are still virgins in here.

WillethWilleth Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
I've never really played Metal Gear Solid.

Well, that's not entirely true. I've played half of the first one. I've done that three times. I've played some of the opening of MGS2. I've watched someone play a bit of 3, and been confused by the Ape Escape monkeys everywhere. I've played the first level and a half of MGS4, but stopped. Because I hadn't played the first three.

I own all of them, I own the systems to play them on, and for some reason I've just never got around to getting anywhere near to beating any of them. Mercifully, I've managed to keep pretty spoiler-free, although the major spoilers are pretty well known at this point. I know that (spoilers for all games)
Solid Snake and Liquid Snake are brothers, either clones or test-tube babies of some description. I know that there's some weirdness involving not being Snake in MGS2, but actually being Raiden, but then it turns out that you're not. Or something. And I know that you kill Big Boss in the final act of MGS3. I suspect that Snake dies in MGS4.
If I've got any of those wrong, please don't disillusion me. I still plan on finishing these games and I want to find out what happens from the games themselves. Starting next Monday, I'm going to pick up MGS1 for PS1 out of my collection, and I'm going to play it. I might play it for the whole day, or I might play it until I get bored. I might play it on days other than Monday after that if I like it enough. But every Monday, I will ensure that I will play at least some Metal Gear Solid. Once I beat it, I'll move on to the next game. I'll watch the cutscenes, and I'll try my hardest to understand Sons of Liberty even though it's apparently impossible. All those millions of people who love the franchise can't possibly be wrong, right? I want to finally see what they love so much.

Now, I can't be the only one who's never done this. If you feel like you've missed out, you've got the weekend to find a copy of Metal Gear Solid. It shouldn't be hard - it's been out on PS1, and is therefore playable on every kind of PlayStation. It's also on the PlayStation Store on PS3. It was re-released on GameCube, and therefore is playable on both that and the Wii. And it's been out on PC, too, although Christ knows how some of the 'puzzles' in it are going to be done on PC. I recommend finding a physical complete copy, if you can, because otherwise you might stumble early on in the game.

Of course, I'd like anyone here to mark their spoilers. Aside from the obvious 'I've never played this and would not like it spoiled' factor, if there are people who are going to play along, it's not the nicest of things to spoil it for them, either. I don't give a shit if it's been out for over eleven years, that doesn't give you the right to blurt out that Solid Snake is a ghost all over the thread. If you're posting anything about what happens in the game, give appropriate context about what it is. "Stuck in MGS1 after the first boss,
" is acceptable. "I just got past the part where I gave Vamp a blow-job and now I can't figure out what menu option to use to reduce my
STD
stat" is not.

So. Find a copy of MGS1, Twin Snakes, or Integral if you can. Or hell, even if you've played them before, take the opportunity to play them through again if you like. I'll be posting my impressions and experiences here every Monday night or Tuesday morning, and would love to see what you guys think. And hey, if this goes well, maybe there'll be Final Fantasy Fridays. Or Deus Ex Duesdays. Or something.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
@gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
Willeth on

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MGS3 is the absolute best of the four.

MGS2 is to the series like The Godfather part III is to that series... in anycase, blue dotting cause this is interesting, and I lack the means to go back and replay any of the MGS games.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You did get at least one of those majorly wrong!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You did get at least one of those majorly wrong!

Damn! Now I'm disillusioned!

Willeth on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MGS1 is the only one of the four I own (although I've played the VR missions and MGS2 on Xbox). I believe I have a save's been run through enough times to have all the possible ending goodies. I haven't played it in about a decade...I should probably break it out.

Wasn't particularly thrilled with 2, but it has alright action, I suppose. I think I was bypassing quite a bit of interesting things hidden away...which might be part of the problem.

...although I'm interested in 3, I don't have the hardware around for it. It seemed intriguing (...along with the apparent "Monkey vs. Snake" ...thing I've heard about). I think 3 is the one where everyone complained about accidentally slitting people's throats instead of knocking them out.

And I haven't heard or seen anything of 4, although I assume it's been out for a year or two at least.

I suppose I'll have to ask why you haven't decided to start with good ol' Metal Gear on the NES (...or Metal Gear 2)?

President Rex on
  • ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Interesting idea for Mondays. I have only ever beaten MGS1. Got through about half of MGS2 then let my girl borrow the ps2 to play kingdom hearts and resident evil 2. Might take you up on this if I can ever get my ps2 back.

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is a hell of an idea. I think I may just see if I can pick up a copy of the MGS collection now that I have a PS2 to use...

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have the MGS1 remake on the Gamecube, and the MGS2 remake on the Xbox. I suppose there isn't a remake of MGS3?

I watched some footage of the PS1 version of MGS1, and jesus, its like an entirely different game. The cutscenes were all remade in the remake and such. Psycho Mantis was such a great boss.

Blurbl on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A new year means I'm going to play through these games again, and this seems like a great oppurtunity to do so, although I've already played through these games God knows how many times.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.
    Blurbl wrote: »
    I have the MGS1 remake on the Gamecube, and the MGS2 remake on the Xbox. I suppose there isn't a remake of MGS3?

I watched some footage of the PS1 version of MGS1, and jesus, its like an entirely different game. The cutscenes were all remade in the remake and such. Psycho Mantis was such a great boss.

I'm gonna take the reins for a second here: Please do not start arguing about which is better, the original Metal Gear Solid or The Twin Snakes. That discussion is nothing but trouble.

Igort on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is a pretty boss idea. I will consider joining in. It's been a while since I played any Metal Gear game, and with MGS: Peace Walker on the way, it's a good time to get all caught up again.

Renzo on
    edited January 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    This is a pretty boss idea.

Hoooo

Isn't Rising out this year, as well?

Willeth on
    edited January 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    This is a pretty boss idea.

Hoooo

Isn't Rising out this year, as well?

No release date yet.

Igort on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not a bad idea. I played through MGS and MGS2, but never got around to the third or fourth installments. I have them both, as well as the Gamecube remake of MGS. There's a chance I'll join in on this.

SteevL on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, I don't like these games at all, but I am interested to hear what you think of them.

LewieP on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I make no commitments beyond that first Monday but I'll be with you for the start at least! I too have never played much of a Metal Gear game. I own Twin Snakes but gave up very early into the game in frustration after finding out that I'm too impatient/bad at the controls to be a stealth master. Shooting mans (even with the tranq gun) seems like the wrong way to do it but it always seemed to be the way that things went down in the end.

I probably didn't give it much of a fair go to be honest. When I say I gave up very early, I mean very early. I'd only just rescued some bird from a prison cell if I remember correctly. I think I was already jaded on the experience by the hours of dialogue in watching all the briefing videos before I started.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And yeah, you better play Deus Ex soon boy.

LewieP on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MGS1 is the only one I played all the way through. Was kind of disappointed that I just happened to be playing with my controller plugged into the second player slot at that point.

I tried playing MGS2 right after having played Splinter Cell and couldn't stand not having control over the camera.

Was MGS2 remade with camera control at some point? MGS3 had it right?

I've been meaning to play MGS4 but I don't want to do it until I play 2 and 3 first. Is this a logical sentiment, or should I just ignore 2 and 3 and go straight onto 4?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I attempted a similar feat last year. Beat MGS1, blustered my way through 2, and then completely ran out of steam.

Maybe, one day, I'll play Snake Eater. And then 4!

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Was MGS2 remade with camera control at some point? MGS3 had it right?

I've been meaning to play MGS4 but I don't want to do it until I play 2 and 3 first. Is this a logical sentiment, or should I just ignore 2 and 3 and go straight onto 4?

Unfortunatley it wasn't, but it wasn't really built for it, so it might not work as well.

And yes, play 2 & 3. Especially 3.

Igort on
    edited January 2010
    I tell this to people who are kinda on the fence about MGS games, and maybe they've played MGS1 and heard MGS2 is weird or whatever:

Just play 3. Subsistence if you can find it. It's a good game, not just a good Metal Gear game.

Renzo on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm waiting for Mortal Monday.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You're better off just watching the cut scenes on youtube. Don't subject yourself to the poor controls of those games.

MGS4 was a real disappointment. It started off so well, then fell apart after the second act.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    MGS3 is the absolute best of the four.

MGS2 is to the series like The Godfather part III is to that series... in anycase, blue dotting cause this is interesting, and I lack the means to go back and replay any of the MGS games.
    MGS3 is the best game. Absolutely. It's the first one where all the gameplay elements actually came together in a moderately sensible form, and it easily has the most iconic boss battles. But I'd argue that MGS2 is the most important experience in the series, if not the best. If nothing else, it's my favorite.

I still haven't played 4. It's on the slowly growing list of stuff that's starting to sell me on a PS3. I've also got a passing interested in the two PSP games, but zero interest in the PSP itself. Will never play either, I'm pretty sure.

Monger on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    I still haven't played 4. It's on the slowly growing list of stuff that's starting to sell me on a PS3. I've also got a passing interested in the two PSP games, but zero interest in the PSP itself. Will never play either, I'm pretty sure.

Don't let MGS4 sell you on a PS3.

Let Uncharted 2 (and 1) sell you on a PS3.

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited January 2010
    But I'd argue that MGS2 is the most important experience in the series, if not the best. If nothing else, it's my favorite.

Hmm. Explain

I didn't hate MGS2, but it seemed too nonsensical for me (nonsense in MGS.. say what!?).

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited January 2010
    But I'd argue that MGS2 is the most important experience in the series, if not the best. If nothing else, it's my favorite.

The final "act" is definitely one of the most intense experiences I've ever had in a video game.

Igort on
    edited January 2010

Don't let MGS4 sell you on a PS3.

Let Uncharted 2 (and 1) sell you on a PS3.
    There is a reason I said "ever growing list." Although, in all honesty, I'm actually not sure I'll like Uncharted 2 in the way that everyone else does, since I generally don't enjoy setpiece shooters that much. I mean, I enjoyed Gears of War 2 a fraction of the amount that I enjoyed the first game. Which I enjoyed half as much as Dark Sector. I'm pretty far removed from the target audience, here.

But I still can't not play MGS4. I needs me some Metal Gear and I defy you to find a game as Metal Gear as Metal Gear.

Monger on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Hmm. Explain

I didn't hate MGS2, but it seemed too nonsensical for me (nonsense in MGS.. say what!?).

I'm not gonna speak for him, but personally I think the whole thing was a really important experimentation with what you could do with video games as a storytelling medium. It wasn't necessarily a successful experiment, but I think it deserves a lot of credit for charting those waters.

Speed Racer on
    edited January 2010

Hmm. Explain

I'm not gonna speak for him, but personally I think the whole thing was a really important experimentation with what you could do with video games as a storytelling medium. It wasn't necessarily a successful experiment, but I think it deserves a lot of credit for charting those waters.
    Did not see that post. But yes, that. There's just, on a conceptual level, some very clever things going on in the design of that game. It plays with stuff specific to the medium that nobody else really did until Shadow of the Colossus. And SotC is still in pretty exclusive company as far as its design goes. If you've played through it, this analysis is a good showpiece for why MGS2 is noteworthy.

It's also just goddamn weird. And that's never a bad thing.

Monger on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I tell this to people who are kinda on the fence about MGS games, and maybe they've played MGS1 and heard MGS2 is weird or whatever:

Just play 3. Subsistence if you can find it. It's a good game, not just a good Metal Gear game.

Lies. Subsistence is a good Metal Gear game too. Granted the combination of no Soliton Radar and horrid overhead camera makes it harder to sneak, but the Subsistence camera makes up for that. You actually have to work at it, rather than avoiding blue cones. I'm not sure if 3's guards had better vision, or if the lack of radar cones just made me think they did.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

Lies. Subsistence is a good Metal Gear game too. Granted the combination of no Soliton Radar and horrid overhead camera makes it harder to sneak, but the Subsistence camera makes up for that. You actually have to work at it, rather than avoiding blue cones. I'm not sure if 3's guards had better vision, or if the lack of radar cones just made me think they did.

I think he meant that Subsistance was not only a good metal gear game, but also a good game in general.

Skull2185 on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

I think he meant that Subsistance was not only a good metal gear game, but also a good game in general.

Ah, I misread "not just" as "just not"

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Okay, now there's all these excited people talking about it, I'm tempted to go ahead and start tonight. :P
    meatflower wrote: »
    I attempted a similar feat last year. Beat MGS1, blustered my way through 2, and then completely ran out of steam.

Maybe, one day, I'll play Snake Eater. And then 4!

Man, just keep track of the thread and jump in when we hit the point you left at. Let's do this together!
    LewieP wrote: »
    And yeah, you better play Deus Ex soon boy.

I'm getting very close to building a decent PC within the month. My current one won't run it, believe it or not.

Willeth on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stick with the plan. Save it for Metal Monday!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 2010
    If you've played through it, this analysis is a good showpiece for why MGS2 is noteworthy.

It's also just goddamn weird. And that's never a bad thing.

Also, try giving this analysis, and this one a read.

Spoilers-a-plenty though, so be warned.

Igort on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I bought the triple pack the summer before MGS4 came out on a whim. I played through them all in about a month and really enjoyed them. Now my brother just got a PS3, so I'll have to go over there to play MGS4.

Nimble Cat on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I played through MGS with my girlfriend (now wife for almost 10 years) watching, and she loved it as much as I did. I played through MGS2 just a couple years ago, and she watched about half of it. She inevitably sees answers to puzzles that I don't, so games just go more smoothly with her watching.

I've since ditched my old Phat PS2, and don't own a PS3, so I think I'm left out in the cold on MGS3 and 4... but I'm going to follow along with the thread and relive those great memories with you.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wanted to try out MGS4, but I hear all the chapter loading and intense story is just a barrier to newbie entry.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited January 2010
    I can't really imagine enjoying MGS4 if you haven't already played and enjoyed MGS 1, 2, and 3.

Renzo on
    edited January 2010
    I enjoyed the first act. But I hear there's apparently a forty-minute long cutscene.

So, there's that.

Willeth on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    I actually did this last year. Had a very good time doing it, and Renzo is very accurate in that 4 practically coasts on fan-service to the franchise. The ambition of MGS4 circumscribes the appalling limitations, explaining the relative non-penetration into the mainstream, of narrative gaming.

My own tips:

MS3 must be played with the Subsistence version. The anthology collection has that (but not the bonus disk from Subsistence which you don't need unless you want to go ridiculously completest and play accurate versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2).

MGS1 should be played on the GameCube/Wii if possible. The negative things this brings into the equation do not matter in the sligtest to someone in your position. The positives are huge - looks nicers, plays easier.

If there is a difficulty selector - and honestly I can't remember if there is or not - play on Easy. This series is about the spectacle. Aside from 3, they are barely good games anyway. Consume them ravenously, like you would eat all you can eat ribs.

The MGS4 encyclopedia is required reading after you've done all 4.

Portable Ops on PSP can be skipped unless you really want something portable. It fits in series canon, but plays like garbage, and has a much lamer storytelling style. The spectacle is greatly reduced, thus its impact is lessened.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる