As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 1/13/10: Bit me, you mother!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Graphic Violence
Secret Six brings the goods, and John Ostrander should just be the "DC fight coordinator," where he goes from comic to comic telling the writer how to do the big fights, because that's pretty much what he does here:

ss17a.jpg

ss17b.jpg

ss17c.jpg

ss17d.jpg

That page is current front runner for page of the year.

And Dark X-Men #3 has Nate Grey do more in one issue than the Sentry has done since he came back in NA:

Nate tears his way through Avenger Tower on a campaign of separating the just from the unjust in HAMMER, and fools Bob like the loser he is (Cornell seems to have done this just to show doing this to Bob repeatedly is a weak way to use the character):

dxm3a.jpg

And then Nate takes on all the DA and the only one who offers a real fight is Ares (Nate is literally hiding in time and only Ares knows and he thinks it's a brilliant tactic), but he then fakes his death but is now inhabiting/took over Norman's body. What have you done today, Bob?

TexiKen on

• ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    hey, that's actually a super-clever thing to do there with nate. i like it a lot and i hope it's true.

also, so is catman...?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Concerning Nate

well...umm...seige over I guess? Good job, everyone!

Langly on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Servo wrote: »

also, so is catman...?

No, probably not, since the next issue is the end of the BN tie-in.

TexiKen on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    damn you nate grey

damn you for being awesome and not being at my house right now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited January 2010
    hey nate grey

dr strange called

he wants his coat back

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    look dr. strange isn't nearly stylish enough to wear that coat

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    he has been pretty stylin as of late after losing his job

Langly on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, that coat was holding Strange back

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited January 2010
    guess what, it has a big ol' X on the back of it in yellow.

And I saw they have the Counter X Warren Ellis stuff out in trade now with X-Force and X-Man.

TexiKen on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That hippy scum needs some socks, some shoes, and a shirt.

Fuck, at least put some birkenstocks on, you mudfoot piece of shit. Unless you're too busy starring in a music video for Rusted Root.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited January 2010
    look he is a shaman

he ain't got time for footwear

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited January 2010
    He's a shaman who can make shoes out of thin air.

2 seconds, max.

Otherwise he should just turn himself blue and walk around with his peeny showing.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010
    also, note that all the dudes nate namedrops are cosmic villains? will we be seeing the sentry go to outer space? well? will we?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    not a chance

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • pkoochinpkoochin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My MOTW was definitely the original Rhino in ASM, especially the short story about him reforming. I don't know what it is but ever since his appearances in Punisher: War Journal I've just really enjoyed him as a character.

pkoochin on
  • lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My Moment of the Week is the Jubilee story in Nation X:02

Finally, FINALLY letting the character show maturity and not in a New Warriors, look how EXTREME she is way. Just a mature version of my favorite character done by someone who obviously knows her history in comics extensively. I think she would fit well as like a trauma counselor to some of the younger mutants.

lsukalel on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PunisherMax #3 was great all around but DAMN I did not need to see a 97 year old woman in the buff multiple times.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gonna go with the Rhino in ASM,too. Can't really think of any pages worth highlighting though. Just a fantastic issue all around making it my motw.

KVW on
    edited January 2010
    TexiKen on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    also, note that all the dudes nate namedrops are cosmic villains? will we be seeing the sentry go to outer space? well? will we?

I'd be happy to see Nate or Sentry [or both] do a stint as Cosmic do-gooders.

As long as Sentry stayed in space and Nate returned to Earth to rock the socks of anyone still wearing them.

Thats the reason for his lack of footwear btw. Rocking way to hard. MOTW: Dark Avengers

Caveman Paws on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I liked ASM too. At first I was bothered by the fact that Rhino was completely different from how he's depicted elsewhere, but honestly the story was good enough to allow for artistic license.

But at the same time, this new Rhino is so bad that I hope the original returns to his role.

Robos A Go Go on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My moment was Adventure Comics #6.
    Lex giveth and Lex taketh away.

Lux on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Adventure Comics for me as well.
    15: Was Superboy

KyleWPeterson on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My wife stopped at the store on her way home and got about 4 months worth of comix for me. Immortal Weapons 4 (Tiger's Beautiful Daughter) and 5 (Prince of Orphans), King City 1, 3 and 4, and Orc Stain 1. Also some promo cards for manga or something that were in my box, and Stumptown 1, the store owner knows I like black and white comix and knows I like crimecomix, so he thinks I should try it out. Also some promo free comix I haven't looked at yet.

Immortal Weapons 4 and 5 were both pretty good. The hook in 4 was neat, and John Aman was such a jerk and a badass in 5. The back-up Iron Fist story had really goofy art.

King City is awesome in the oversized format. Brandon puts extra stuff in it, and I think he has redrawn a couple pages, but maybe it just looks that much better in this format.

And Orc Stain 1 was kickass and awesome and surprisingly filthy. It takes number motw just for the sheer insanity of Stokoe and his crazy super detailed orc world.

DouglasDanger on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    lsukalel wrote: »

Finally, FINALLY letting the character show maturity and not in a New Warriors, look how EXTREME she is way. Just a mature version of my favorite character done by someone who obviously knows her history in comics extensively. I think she would fit well as like a trauma counselor to some of the younger mutants.
    Yes. I was very pleasantly surprised with that story. I'm...not entirely sure where Surge's hatred was coming from, but I guess someone had to do it, to take the story where it went, so whatever.

Also, I would read the shit out of a book with Jubilee, Anole, Rockslide, Dust, Loa, and Trance.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think its sort of a cop out to have Jubes just kinda swing by and not go to the island, but I understand why. I just feel like she's been effectively shelved. Her time in the New Warriors felt like it could have been ANY random younger female character.

I guess I'm just trying to say, victimizing somewhat major mutant characters in M-Day shouldn't result in them just disappearing. It should have been used as a way of adding depth to stagnant characters. Having Jubilee join the New Warriors had a bit of potential but obviously it fell apart and now it's like she never was a New Warrior, and we probably won't see her until they need to further victimize her or someone cures the Mutant's who were de-powered.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My MOTW is Atomic Robo volume 3. It's just really, really good (like all of Atomic Robo, actually). Also, it pleases me that in the Atomic-Roboverse, the Tunguska event was caused by Nikola Tesla, Charles Fort, and H.P. Lovecraft's father attempting to stop a Cthulhu-analogue.

I was also really impressed with the art on those pages of Invincible Iron Man that depict Dr. Strange's trip into Tony's psyche, although I think the colorist should get the credit on that one rather than the penciller.

(Although Larroca has improved, I still think he's shit at drawing human faces.)

Delduwath on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I enjoyed Iron Man this week. The Dr. Strange pages were pretty cool.
    "My name is Doctor Stephen Strange. I am a medical doctor and have extensive training in. . . alternative medicines."

"Remember: This isn't a ceremony. Its a medical procedure."

"Trust me. I'm a doctor."

Lucascraft on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I was also really impressed with the art on those pages of Invincible Iron Man that depict Dr. Strange's trip into Tony's psyche, although I think the colorist should get the credit on that one rather than the penciller.

are there scans anywhere? i checked scans daily and all they had seemed to be the bit before the bit you're talking about.

PantheraOnca on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »

are there scans anywhere? i checked scans daily and all they had seemed to be the bit before the bit you're talking about.

Spoiled for size/spoilers:

651z01.jpg

2evq5qb.jpg

2n04g7c.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn that's gorgeous ... the page looks like it's moving.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ASM was hands down my favorite book this week and was by far Kelly's best issue

MastaP on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    lsukalel wrote: »

Yes. I was very pleasantly surprised with that story. I'm...not entirely sure where Surge's hatred was coming from, but I guess someone had to do it, to take the story where it went, so whatever.

Also, I would read the shit out of a book with Jubilee, Anole, Rockslide, Dust, Loa, and Trance.

Don't make me hope for things I can't have, Blackjack.

Furu on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry, Furu.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been away from the shop for the past couple of weeks, since my book load wasn't all that big until this Wednesday. So I only just picked up Blackest Night #6.

I agree with what's been said: Last two-page spread made me giddy.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Batgirl #6 was my favourite this week, especially the interaction between Stephanie and Robin. (He's such an unbearable little shit, but I love reading him. ) The reveal as to what is actually going on was a surprise.
    (What looked like a simple kidnapping is actually tied into Roulette running bets on who can kill Batman--it's all been a setup to get Batman where Roulette wanted him.)

Again, thanks to this board for pointing this book out to me.

KidDork on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Bit late but Initiative and Taskmaster was awesome, love how he accepts what he is and deeply regrets going above his station. Also finally seen his face, I thought the skull mask was his face.

DarkWarrior on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Orc Stain 1 was so damn good guys.

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2010
    Bit late but Initiative and Taskmaster was awesome, love how he accepts what he is and deeply regrets going above his station. Also finally seen his face, I thought the skull mask was his face.

oh snap they showed tasky's face?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

oh snap they showed tasky's face?

Well it had bandages on but you can see the majority, I think he was blonde, nothing really unique about his face but yeah I'm sure you could see most of it. I never, ever remember seeing him sans mask before but this was a big event in his life I guess.

DarkWarrior on