As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Fit broked! Help me!

XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
Hrm. So I have a launch wii. Haven't had a single problem with it until now. When I put Wii Fit in, (which used to work just fine) it shows up in the disc channel, but when you hit play, it pulls up a black screen and freezes. The reset button doesn't even work. The controllers turn off and won't turn back on. The only way to get it back is to hold down the power button for a good 5-10 seconds till it hard shuts down. Happens every single time. Also happens with a brand new wii fit disc my wife's boss just got. Discs work on wife's bosses wii. Every other disc works fine on my wii.

Nintendo's answer was "Send in your disc and we'll send you a new one for $20"

Ok. Obviously not the disc.

Their second answer was "Send in your wii and we'll send you a new one for $90"

God damnit. Not the answer I wanted.

Anybody have any ideas beyond the "You're screwed, get a new one?"

Xaviar on

• Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Umm corrupt data maybe? Delete the save files for Wii Fit and start over otherwise not to sure

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Deleting the saved file should do it.

$90 for a new Wii in exchange? Well, that's mighty decent of them.

If that is indeed the case, I would simply go that route if the usual fixes don't help. I mean, you'll spend twice that buying it again. Microsoft charges $150 for a refurb.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also I forget what sort of data Wii Fit saves, if it has its own main channel, etc. Make sure you delete absolutely everything having to do with Wii Fit. Old saves, saves for Wii Fit Plus, whatever.

Actually, have you tried Wii Fit Plus? Have you tried other games too?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't be the only person who thought "oh my god he's over 330 lbs and he jumped on the board" upon seeing the thread title.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I can't be the only person who thought "oh my god he's over 330 lbs and he jumped on the board" upon seeing the thread title.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought that too.

Any recent updates? Is there a way to rollback an update?

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There were 2 recent updates in fact. But from everything I can find of anyone having a remotely similar problem. The updates actually fixed them. No way to roll back unfortunately. Even a factory reset leaves the os updates as is. I put all the save data on a sd card and took the card out. That didn't help. And I think I mentioned it in the op but all other games work fine, disc or channel.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It'd be interesting to see, if you had a modded wii, if it would run the game without a disc..

Perhaps you could trade Wiis with someone who isn't interested in Wii Fit?

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    There were 2 recent updates in fact. But from everything I can find of anyone having a remotely similar problem. The updates actually fixed them. No way to roll back unfortunately. Even a factory reset leaves the os updates as is. I put all the save data on a sd card and took the card out. That didn't help. And I think I mentioned it in the op but all other games work fine, disc or channel.

But did you delete the Wii Fit data from the hard drive?* It's the only reasonable solution if you've tried multiple Wii Fit discs and none of them work. You could try your disc in another console, but I guarantee you it will run fine.

The problem is with your console.

And as I remember, reverting to factory settings does revert to the original OS version. It's how homebrewers did their shit when certain updates blocked their methods.

Out of curiosity, is your Wii modded? If the Wii Fit disc is your only legit disc (which would make sense, seeing as how you'd buy it in order to get the board), that would explain everything. The update fucked up your modded console's ability to read the disc.

*Is it still called a hard-drive at 512mb? :P

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nope. 100% legit wii.

I don't want to factory reset, cause I don't want to lose all my saves, but that's what the nintendo forum says.

Yeah, I deleted the save off the wii after I copied it. This was my 100% bet for what was causing the problem as well =(

I dunno, the only thing I can think of is that some obscure library that wii fit uses that most other games don't got corrupted in the update. If I get real desperate, I'll try the factory update, but I'm kinda tempted to wait for the next update, install that, and see if it magically gets fixed..

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It has to be data specifically related to your Wii Fit. Go in there and make sure that you've deleted everything Wii Fit related on your console. If I remember correctly, the menu for saved games and data wasn`t exactly intuitive.

Could you transfer all of your saved games to an SD, format, and get them back?

Figgy on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe this is a ploy by Nintendo for you to buy Wii Fit Plus?

Cullen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Cullen wrote: »
    Maybe this is a ploy by Nintendo for you to buy Wii Fit Plus?

Yes. A ploy aimed directly and exclusively at the OP, too.

It's all coming together. D:

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Eheheh. The wife doesn't want fit plus. She wants the original one to work. She actually said that if I can't get it to work by tax time she wants to buy another one with the refund and I'll just take the wii downstairs. So maybe I'll just do that

Xaviar on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Eheheh. The wife doesn't want fit plus. She wants the original one to work. She actually said that if I can't get it to work by tax time she wants to buy another one with the refund and I'll just take the wii downstairs. So maybe I'll just do that

Tell her that Wii Fit Plus literally has everything you did in Wii Fit, plus a ton of other stuff. It's not just a clever name—there's zero reason to rebuy Wii Fit, especially since Plus is only $20 standalone.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Even your save data moves over. It's just an expansion pack or DLC really.

Cullen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Does it have the EXACT same activities, plus? She is very attached to some of the balance games.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Does it have the EXACT same activities, plus? She is very attached to some of the balance games.

As far as I can tell, it does. Another bonus is that everything is available right at the beginning, no need to unlock anything.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

100 percent of the content, all unlocked from the get-go. It even has color-coded boxes to let you know what was old content and what's new for Plus. Go for it!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

100 percent of the content, all unlocked from the get-go. It even has color-coded boxes to let you know what was old content and what's new for Plus. Go for it!

Plus the new content is awesome. My wife loves the game she calls "butt math." (You know, the one where you do math with your butt.)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

But did you delete the Wii Fit data from the hard drive?* It's the only reasonable solution if you've tried multiple Wii Fit discs and none of them work. You could try your disc in another console, but I guarantee you it will run fine.

*Is it still called a hard-drive at 512mb? :P

Considering it was never a Hard-drive in the first place, no.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    edit: actually nevermind.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Try unplugging and plugging in your component cables. Sometimes the Wii doesn't switch from menu rendering to game rendering right.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Cryo84RCryo84R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I recommend a gym membership.

Cryo84R on
    So, I see the caterpillar has emerged from his cocoon...as a shark...with a gun for a mouth.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cryo84R wrote: »

The knee-jerk Wii Fit slamming took this long to start? I'm disappointed in you, G&T.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    Try unplugging and plugging in your component cables. Sometimes the Wii doesn't switch from menu rendering to game rendering right.
    Thanks for the idea, but most certainly not this as the hardware is unresponsive (reset button doesn't work, remotes won't turn back on and re-sync, etc.)
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »

Plus the new content is awesome. My wife loves the game she calls "butt math." (You know, the one where you do math with your butt.)
    This is pretty awesome. May just have to try this and see if it'll work.

Or I might just call up nintendo again and bitch some more and see if they'll take some money off ;)

Xaviar on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No. Trust me man, it will go unresponsive. The Wii basically restarts when you fire up a game. Unplugging the cable will jog its error checking. I have to do it for quite a few games, and Wii fit is one of them. Don't knock it till ya try it.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Got excited. Tried it. Remotes still unresponsive. Screen still black. Reset button still unresponsive. Got even more depressed. Knocked it.

Thanks for bringing me down, man. Thanks a lot.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Have you tried leaving it for a good long time? My launch Wii can be a little flaky if left unused for a while and will exhibit exactly the same symptoms when you try to load any game or channel from the menu. The cure? Just leave it for five to ten minutes and all of a sudden it bursts back into life as if nothing happened. I figure it's punishing me for daring to use my other consoles.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Eh, was worth a shot. The Wii hates my TV anyways, and I know I need to send it in sometime for a hardware fix.

Are you launching from the disk or the channel? Have you tried it on other tvs? If you already answered this I apologize, as I haven't checked the whole thread yet.

Athenor on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's leaving it on the blank screen by the way.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Based on the "black screen and remotes turn off" thing I have a hunch it's related to Wii Connect 24. If you have Wii Connect 24 enabled, try waiting a few minutes between turning on the Wii and starting the game (to Jam: this is what you're experiencing, the black screen is caused by Wii Connect 24 trying to finish its business and still being busy when the game's launching). If you don't have Wii Connect 24 enabled, then it's obviously something else. Also make sure your Wii is fully updated, as it could possibly be a firmware issue. And I agree with the others in here to get Wii Fit+ since the original is worthless with Wii Fit+ in existance.

Opty on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Haha I thought that but then told myself off for thinking it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    When I get this resolved I'm tempted to change the op to something like "I fell off my balance board and can't get up. Can't reach the phone. All I can reach is my wiimote and the wii browser. Please go for help!"
    [edit]
    at the store buying wii fit + now. We'll see.

[second edit]
    Aha! WiiFit+ works fine. Also it couldn't have been a corrupt save that was the problem, because after taking the data off with the SD card didn't work, I stuck it back on. And wiifit+ found and loaded the regular wiifit data just fine.

Oh well. I'm happy now.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

:^:

(I wondered whether to post this myself, so thanks)

Leitner on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm currently having a problem with my wii, I get no sound, and no data at all from it. The system still sounds like it does stuff when I put a disc in or power it on and what not. I get nothing. And I can't seem to get wiimotes to connect either. Please don't let me lose my save data :(

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm currently having a problem with my wii, I get no sound, and no data at all from it. The system still sounds like it does stuff when I put a disc in or power it on and what not. I get nothing. And I can't seem to get wiimotes to connect either. Please don't let me lose my save data :(

I would try a friends av cable. If that doesn't help, you will probably have to send it in. I have recently been assured that if you do so and your data is recoverable it will be transferee to the refurb they send you back.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I would try a friends av cable. If that doesn't help, you will probably have to send it in. I have recently been assured that if you do so and your data is recoverable it will be transferee to the refurb they send you back.

Unless that is something new, that's untrue. My brother had to send his launch Wii in some time ago, and although Nintendo was very cool about the warranty and shipping out a refurb before even getting the broken one, they said there was absolutely no way to transfer any data over--including all of your DLC.

They may have changed this though.

Figgy on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

:^:

(I wondered whether to post this myself, so thanks)

Nah, that won't have as much of a positive physical effect on his body as some good solid months of playing Wii Fit.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    some of those wii fit minigames can get your blood pumping, though. Let's see you gyrate your hips for seven minutes straight and not get a little huffy

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png