As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NBA Jam Returns! Wii version out now! 360/PS3 versions out today.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Extraction is also fun as shit.

There's one of the few things that it will probably have in common.

More or less the same guns and enemies to fight. Similar but not quite the same setting too.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Hugh Jass wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Awww, I fuckin hate this shit. They bring back one of my favorite games of all time and they put it exclusively on the fucking wii. Seriously, as if DS: Extraction wasn't bad enough and now this. I hope it sells like shit just like extraction. I wish I could hate them to death!!!

Oh please, don't start that around here. You must still be hurting that the Wii sold 3.8 mill in December. :P

You must be an idiot of the highest order or I didn't make my post clear enough. I'm mad at EA for being stupid, not nintendo. I'm not a sony or microsoft employee so I don't give a fuck about Wii sales. A prequel to a game that came out on ps3/360 is made for a system that the original never even appeared on. That makes a ton of fucking sense EA, really. Now bringing NBA Jam to the Wii exclusively? This game screams Live arcade/psn title to me. It pisses me off as a fan of the original and makes no sense financially to make it an exclusive. I can see it bombing just like Extraction.

#1 - I was just messing with you, thus the :P

#2 - it's not a prequel to the XBox/PS2 title, it's a sequel to the original Arcade/Genesis/SNES title. So the original actually appeared on a Nintendo platform, not the others....so EA are just fine in what they did. 8-)

#2 What? I know I was talking about DS:E being a prequel and not being where it belongs. My overall point is EA being stupid. NBA Jam wasn't nintendo exclusive so it's not where it belongs. It should be multi-platorm. Hopefully, you can understand this so I'm leaving this in bold for you "I'm comparing these two game's because they both are dick moves by EA". Extraction sold like shit, and I laughed my ass off because I loved Dead Space, and felt betrayed by them fleshing out the story on a different console. I hope this sells like shit too. End of story.

Hugh Jass on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah, I thought you were saying that NBA Jam originated on the PS2/XBox...so I detract what I said there.

As for Dead Space, bleh, I don't like either of them.

Your problems would be solved by being a multi console owner, like many of us here are.

Also, don't be so hostile, I'm messing with you...you know, kidding and such. Oy, kids these days. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You felt "betrayed" by companies supporting other consoles? Wow...just wow. Making a game exclusive to a console you don't own is a "dick move"? Last I checked EA never signed a contract with you saying "We'll never release good games on systems you don't own. We promise!" But I don't attest to knowing everything they do, so maybe you have such a contract.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    See, when you make passionate, irrational, unreasonable posts like that, it makes everyone else here hope that you will sell like shit. I hope that you understand this and take it to heart.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited January 2010
    So it makes more sense to release a full retail game with an expensive license for $20 on two smaller downloadable platforms than to release it at $50 on a system that has proven sales on casual pick up and play local multiplayer games.

Yep.

You think at 50$ it can succeed without the name Live or 2K in it's name? I just don't think the Wii is the right market for this game, well at least not on the Wii exclusively. Maybe the arcade thing is wrong idk. I just can't help but think people will eat it up on there because there is no "NFL Blitz" equivalent for basketball games. Madden Arcade has done pretty well on arcade and psn.

Hugh Jass on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's also kinda crap (Madden Arcade that is.)

This is why there are times I hate the internet and console warzzzz age. It's all griping and self entitlement. It'll be awesome on the Wii, and judging by the screens it's going to look pretty awesome.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited January 2010
    So it makes more sense to release a full retail game with an expensive license for $20 on two smaller downloadable platforms than to release it at $50 on a system that has proven sales on casual pick up and play local multiplayer games.

Yep.

You think at 50$ it can succeed without the name Live or 2K in it's name? I just don't think the Wii is the right market for this game, well at least not on the Wii exclusively. Maybe the arcade thing is wrong idk. I just can't help but think people will eat it up on there because there is no "NFL Blitz" equivalent for basketball games. Madden Arcade has done pretty well on arcade and psn.

Part of the reason you're so butt hurt about this is that NBA JAM is an iconic, well known, and once beloved franchise, so yes, I think it can and will succeed especially now that Acclaim is out of the picture!

ESPN of all places was the first to leak this game and that tells me that EA might even be willing to actually market this game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited January 2010
    See, when you make passionate, irrational, unreasonable posts like that, it makes everyone else here hope that you will sell like shit. I hope that you understand this and take it to heart.

Nothing wrong with being passionate. I'm surprised at your response because, and maybe its just me but the people on this forum seem very passionate, (more so than other forums I have been apart of) and even sometime's very hostile toward's game companies fucking with their favorite games. Also, I'm not unreasonable as I'm willing to admit I maybe got too excited, but I see posts like the one I posted earlier all the time on here. I'm not out having a parade that extraction didn't do well.

I was really hoping it would sell poorly so they would get a clue. I don't know what is so irrational about me wanting my favorite game series staying on the same damn console where it should be. When you do that you aren't being loyal to your fans, which is what I was getting at.

Btw, when you make vague statements like that without stating what your beef is you make yourself look like a lazy uneducated asshole just trying to stir shit up. I hope you take that to heart.

Hugh Jass on
    edited January 2010
    I don't know what is so irrational about me wanting my favorite game series staying on the same damn console where it should be.

I agree completely!

snesnbajamboxfront.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited January 2010

Yep.

Part of the reason you're so butt hurt about this is that NBA JAM is an iconic, well known, and once beloved franchise, so yes, I think it can and will succeed especially now that Acclaim is out of the picture!

ESPN of all places was the first to leak this game and that tells me that EA might even be willing to actually market this game.

True, but the thing is it was really popular... but back in the 90's. It disappeared for a while and of course the hardcore guy's like us remember it. I'm not sure that the name means anything to most gamer's anymore. I'm interested in seeing how the sales were for the post sega/snes installment's are though.

Also, about madden arcade. It's not great, but I do find it fun to play online. So much that I'm using it for my nfl fix and I may skip madden completely this year.

Hugh Jass on
    edited January 2010
    I don't know what is so irrational about me wanting my favorite game series staying on the same damn console where it should be.

I agree completely!

snesnbajamboxfront.jpg

HARDEHARHAR. I guess I'm the only one on here that got my NBA Jam fix on Sega :P

Hugh Jass on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I knew there'd be at least one whiny retard in this thread complaining about it being on the Wii.

All I have to say is "Cry more Baby. Hahahaahaha"

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited January 2010
    HARDEHARHAR. I guess I'm the only one on here that got my NBA Jam fix on Sega :P
    That would be fine too, but I don't know why you would want them to make a new game for the Dreamcast. That would never sell.

UncleSporky on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PS3/Xbox audiance is just too mature for casual games like this.

I'm only half joking.

Zxerol on
    edited January 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    PS3/Xbox audiance is just too mature for casual games like this.

I'm only half joking.

Bouncing around a dumb ball is nowhere near as hardcore as firing white hot plasma into an alien's skull from the smoking barrel of your energy rifle.

UncleSporky on
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wonder what the computer AI will be like?

Jam is like my first exposure to opponents that just get fucking unreal if you start to win. You think you are safe up 3 points with 2 seconds to go, but no, no, a full court shoot is like a fucking layup for the computer.

Thinking about the overtime turns me into a Vietnam vet having an acid flashback.

redraptor on
    edited January 2010
    The game really turns it up on you if you go up by 20 or more. You will start missing more and your opponents will not miss, strips become a matter of course.

This was the grandaddy of all over the top arcade sports games in the 90's so it's no surprise that it is also one of the originators of rubber band AI.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    with the way they're designing this title, it's highly unlikely that it would have sold at retail for 360/PS3. Who knows, maybe it would have done gangbusters on XBLA/PSN, but I don't really see any huge discrepancy between marketability on wii vs. HD-consoles. Considering the lower cost to develop, the wii-gamer's taste for arcade style gaming, the massive installed base, and the lack of major competitors, it'll probably do as well on the wii as it would anywhere else, if not better.

Guek on
    edited January 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    I knew there'd be at least one whiny retard in this thread complaining about it being on the Wii.

How will I ever live without 50 mario rehashes and NBA Jam!? I will cry myself to sleep playing these:
    uncharted_2_final_box_art.jpg
    1236904814.jpg

:):lol: :P ;-)

Hugh Jass on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    *says Wii is nothing but rehashes*

*goes off to play rehashes*

Yeeeaahhh you're not worth listening to.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited January 2010

How will I ever live without 50 mario rehashes and NBA Jam!? I will cry myself to sleep playing these:
    1236904814.jpg

Do you have any idea how immature you're coming off? How long have you been here at the PA forums? There are better ways to voice your disagreement.

Guek on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well he is a Hugh Jass.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited January 2010
    Guek wrote: »

1236904814.jpg

Do you have any idea how immature you're coming off? How long have you been here at the PA forums? There are better ways to voice your disagreement.

Ugh I hope your joking, I haven't been here long. I thought the emoticons would give it away that I'm only joking jeez.

Hugh Jass on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey I'm a huge fan of NBA Jam and own a Wii but I won't even throw down the cash for this updated version on general principle and the fact I know they're gonna shoehorn in Wacky Motion Controls™.

Now if it was on 360 with HD graphics and some Live play and a real controller I'd hand over my 60 bucks so EA can chalk me up as a target demo "original fan" that won't be buying the game.

Allforce on
    edited January 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    Hey I'm a huge fan of NBA Jam and own a Wii but I won't even throw down the cash for this updated version on general principle and the fact I know they're gonna shoehorn in Wacky Motion Controls™.

Now if it was on 360 with HD graphics and some Live play and a real controller I'd hand over my 60 bucks so EA can chalk me up as a target demo "original fan" that won't be buying the game.

What if it was on 360 with Natal support

Whoo look at me it's just like I'm dribbling a ball in real life dawg
    But seriously if you think you won't be able to play this in a standard way with a standard controller you are insane. Obviously motion control will be an option but that shouldn't stop you from turning it off and forgetting about it.

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2010
    Dunno, I don't have a Natal.

Allforce on
    edited January 2010
    So you're not going to judge Natal controls because it isn't out, but you are going to judge a specific game's controls despite that it isn't out.

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2010
    Exactly, I have a Wii and exactly 1 game that doesn't have Wacky Motion Controls or forces you to play with the remote turned sideways like playing with a box of pens.

I have no reason to think this trend will not continue with NBA Jam.

Allforce on
    edited January 2010

What if it was on 360 with Natal support

Whoo look at me it's just like I'm dribbling a ball in real life dawg
    But seriously if you think you won't be able to play this in a standard way with a standard controller you are insane. Obviously motion control will be an option but that shouldn't stop you from turning it off and forgetting about it.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if the game required motion control in some capacity. Something like shaking to foul another player or something like that is bound to be in the game. I've never felt that motion controls inherently ruin all associated games though so it's not that big of a deal to me. As long as you don't have to shake in time to dribble, swing a certain way to shoot, and jack off the wiimote to jump, it should be fine.

Guek on
    edited January 2010
    Exactly, I have a Wii and exactly 1 game that doesn't have Wacky Motion Controls or forces you to play with the remote turned sideways like playing with a box of pens.

I'd say that means you ought to buy some better games. I probably have more than 20 that don't do either of those things.

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2010
    you mean turned sideways to be quite a bit like the controller on which NBA Jam played so well... HMMM. We get it, you don't like the Wii. Go play some more 360.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited January 2010
    I just want a d-pad and 3 buttons like the game was always played with. I don't even think the Wiimote has 3 buttons in a playable position when you turn it sideways.

Allforce on
    edited January 2010
    A 1, and 2 are all easily reachable sideways.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited January 2010

I'd say that means you ought to buy some better games. I probably have more than 20 that don't do either of those things.

Doesn't mean they're fun.

Tatsunoku Vs Capcom is the only one I own that I can think of, but I've got like 100+ games collecting dust for that thing.

Anyways, onward thread!

Allforce on
    edited January 2010
    I just want a d-pad and 3 buttons like the game was always played with. I don't even think the Wiimote has 3 buttons in a playable position when you turn it sideways.

Why don't you use the classic controller then?

Wait, it's because you don't want to buy useless crap that should've come with the console, isn't it.

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2010
    A 1, and 2 are all easily reachable sideways.

How are you gonna press A reliably when it's right next to the d-pad?

It just always feels like 99% of Wii games have A. Wacky motion controls that aren't great, or B. no motion controls but you gotta use the tiny little remote anyways like a controller and it feels bizarre.

Just don't see this NBA Jam working out for me, but I'll keep following the thread to see some impressions.

Allforce on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This should be an XBLA game not a full price game

edit: I guess it doesn't really even matter that much, there are many other games to play instead

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Even full priced I'd buy it over on 360 to run some tournaments online

I'm sure we'll have Friend Codes tho :|

Allforce on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Why would you need 3 buttons?

1 - run?

2 - hold for shoot, tap for pass

fuck, you honestly wouldn't even need run, so you could seperate pass and shoot

FyreWulff on