As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Tourneys

• uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    so can we get a rough idea of what tourneys there will be? how many spots? ut? cs:s?

uc4life on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think the only one that is 100% is cs:s The others we are waiting on things for, either word from khoo on things or to see if games will be released on time.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited March 2007
    We'll also have a HL2: DM tournament.

David Coffman on
    edited March 2007
    Man, getting info from y'all is like pulling teeth! =)

So I have cobbled together everything Ive read into this...

PC Tourneys-
    1. CS:S
    2. HL2: DM
    3. BF (2 or 2142) or QW
    4. Some sort of new RTS?
    5. ?
    6. its there a 6?
    7. Profit!

Anything im missing? is UT showing up? halo 2 for pc? barbie unicorn adventure?

EDIT: haha i just found out that you have to put a space after the HL2: other wise you get HL2:DM

uc4life on
    edited March 2007
    No speculating. It will be announced soon enough.

We cant say info yet on most of the things for a reason. You have to wait just like everyone else :P

BigRed on
    edited March 2007
    I'm prepared to confirm 1-3 and 5.

And yes, I had to learn the HL2:DM thing via experience myself. ;)

David Coffman on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would be all up ons the HL2:DM tourney.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, there BETTER be a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. tourney.

Assuming it's decently patched by August.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited March 2007
    I have a hard time really imagining Stalker being a big multiplayer game. That said, my copy has as of yet been un-opened. ;)

David Coffman on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The online mode has deathmatch, team-deathmatch, and a weird CTF mode.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited March 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    The online mode has deathmatch, team-deathmatch, and a weird CTF mode.

So you are saying its like every other FPS out there?

IN OTHER NEWS.

Quake wars remains hopeful. I noticed gamestop had all their preorder stuff out for display for it and they quoted me early june for release...

BigRed on
  • Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I played tons of STALKER multiplayer back in Ukraine with the devs last October and had a great time -- that game is going to be SICK in multi if people rally around it.

That said, I just saw this today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXIEbkF10U

Desert Conflict mod is released today. Holy fucking shit.

I have just one thing to say: PLEASE???

Storm Shadow on
    edited March 2007
    Um... its bf2... or am I missing something?

BigRed on
    edited March 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

Did you ever play Desert Comabt? It was an incredible mod. Even though BF2 is modern day stuff too, if you could take the bf2 engine and play a game like DC....that would be fantastic. I think I enjoy the Desert storm setting rather then the near future US vs China vs MEC stuff too.

Little bird FTW!!!!

uc4life on
  • Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    uc4life wrote: »

Did you ever play Desert Comabt? It was an incredible mod. Even though BF2 is modern day stuff too, if you could take the bf2 engine and play a game like DC....that would be fantastic. I think I enjoy the Desert storm setting rather then the near future US vs China vs MEC stuff too.

Little bird FTW!!!!

Doc, the word is that this mod has even has a CTF mode in it as well. *raises fist*

I'll check with 20ID to see if this mod is compatible with the BF2ProMod (tournament tweaking mod used by CAL/TWL).

@Disco & Red : Oh, and BTW, I'm trying to convince the 20ID clan that they need to show up for the festivities -- they are the top Battlefield clan in the world. So we outta have some kind of BF2/2142/Desert Conflict, or even Point of Existence 2 action. (PDXLAN had a big POE2 tourney last month with a really good turnout). I'm sure that they'd be just as happy with a ETQW tourney, too. That's looking like a really good game as well.

Anyways, lots of good choices. It's going to be a fun year.

Storm Shadow on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I played tons of STALKER multiplayer back in Ukraine with the devs last October and had a great time -- that game is going to be SICK in multi if people rally around it.

That said, I just saw this today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXIEbkF10U

Desert Conflict mod is released today. Holy fucking shit.

I have just one thing to say: PLEASE???

Wow, Just... wow. If this isn't at pax, I will be sad puppy.

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2007

Little bird FTW!!!!

Doc, the word is that this mod has even has a CTF mode in it as well. *raises fist*

I'll check with 20ID to see if this mod is compatible with the BF2ProMod (tournament tweaking mod used by CAL/TWL).

@Disco & Red : Oh, and BTW, I'm trying to convince the 20ID clan that they need to show up for the festivities -- they are the top Battlefield clan in the world. So we outta have some kind of BF2/2142/Desert Conflict, or even Point of Existence 2 action. (PDXLAN had a big POE2 tourney last month with a really good turnout). I'm sure that they'd be just as happy with a ETQW tourney, too. That's looking like a really good game as well.

Anyways, lots of good choices. It's going to be a fun year.

I was at that pdxlan and sat across from 20ID. They (as a group) were pretty annoying :/
    They might not find the PAX PC stuff enjoyable cause its more based on fun and not really a competitive atmosphere. If they want to come though id be all for it. A couple of the guys were great to talk to.

If by some miracle that quake wars is released before pax, we all agreed that would be the tourney of choice instead of BF2. This year we are trying to move away from "older" games and into the latest and greatest (as long as it doesn't suck)

BigRed on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was hoping that maybe there could be a small CSS Gun Game tourney thrown in for variety? PLeeeaaase? It would only take about an hour if that.

Shade on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Haha, Gun Game would be interesting.

I really want to try to throw together a decent CS: S team this year... every year I've gone in with a friend of mine who doesn't play at all, and we lose on the first round.

I like the current games chosen, but it's still more of the same from the previous years - I'm hoping when you announce the rest we'll have some innovative/interesting choices? ;D

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
    edited March 2007
    Shade wrote: »
    I was hoping that maybe there could be a small CSS Gun Game tourney thrown in for variety? PLeeeaaase? It would only take about an hour if that.

There wont be any extra tournaments added, Schedule is full. Although if you want to try and organize an unofficial one in the BYOC section, go for it. We may even be able to do projector announcements in the room for it and such.
    Haha, Gun Game would be interesting.

I like the current games chosen, but it's still more of the same from the previous years - I'm hoping when you announce the rest we'll have some innovative/interesting choices? ;D

Oh there will be ;)

BigRed on
    edited April 2007
    Any new news on the line-up? I need to know what games my team and I will be winning.

uc4life on
    edited April 2007
    Any new news on the line-up? I need to know what games my team and I will be winning.

You will know when theres a new sticky at the top about PC tournaments.

BigRed on
  • ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As far as the RTS choices go...there had BETTER be some Company of Heroes, or Dawn of War at least. Those are THE two most intricate, finely crafted RTS's on the market right now (and still will be once PAX comes). I can't believe no one's mentioned them yet. I know the PA community has some love for Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes' polish is undeniable.

Profs on
    edited April 2007
    Profs wrote: »
    As far as the RTS choices go...there had BETTER be some Company of Heroes, or Dawn of War at least. Those are THE two most intricate, finely crafted RTS's on the market right now (and still will be once PAX comes). I can't believe no one's mentioned them yet. I know the PA community has some love for Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes' polish is undeniable.

The RTS tournaments are already chosen. Those 2 aren't on the list.

Although if one of the RTS's doesn't work out then Company of heroes is everyones next choice.

BigRed on
    edited April 2007
    I don't mean to be a pest...but what the fuck? This *list*; who was it chosen by?

Profs on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Smart money on Supreme Commander.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited April 2007
    I don't mean to be a pest...but what the fuck? This *list*; who was it chosen by?

Me, DiscoDave, the other people running tournaments, and PA.

[edit]
    If you are asking what is the list, here it is.

1. CS:S
    2. HL2: DM
    3. QuakeWars (Replace BF2 here if quakewars turns out to be a pile of bugs and suckage)
    4. ??? (TBA LATER)
    5. ??? (TBA LATER)
    6. Profit+++ (FTW)

[/edit]

Why? Whats wrong with it? Also keep in mind half of the list isn't and cant be released yet so just have patience. There is awesome stuff coming.

Everyone is sorry if your favorite game is not on the list but if you want to run an unofficial tournament in the BYOC section you can knock yourself out. You would even might be able to get some help from the Lan admins regarding servers and such if you plan it far enough in advance.
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Smart money on Supreme Commander.

For the last time there wont be Supreme commander on the freeplay machines. The games take too ungodly long to play so we aren't even going to bother getting the licenses for them.
    If there is any supcom action to be had, it will be in the BYOC section.

BigRed on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I do wonder if armagetron might make the list this year for some light cycle action. Or hell, tron 2.0

Viscountalpha on
    edited April 2007
    *grumble* *grumble* Oh well...as long as the game's not some shit nobody plays, like Empire At War, or Battle for Middle Earth, or something 4 years old i.e. WC3. Also...I hope you're not betting on like, World in Conflict to be ready by that time.

What would be hilarious though is if you had the original C&C, without releasing which version 'til day of.

Profs on
    edited April 2007
    Sweet, my prediction of a "Profit" tourney came true!

uc4life on
    edited April 2007
    *grumble* *grumble* Oh well...as long as the game's not some shit nobody plays, like Empire At War, or Battle for Middle Earth, or something 4 years old i.e. WC3. Also...I hope you're not betting on like, World in Conflict to be ready by that time.

What would be hilarious though is if you had the original C&C, without releasing which version 'til day of.

Its a seekret!

No it wont be original C&C :P
    Sweet, my prediction of a "Profit" tourney came true!

If only there was actual profit, heh.

Wait...

NEW TOURNAMENT GAME!

Everyone gives BigRed $1

BigRed on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's gonna be Warcraft II over IPX.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited April 2007
    ctishman wrote: »

Only if everyone gives BigRed $1

BigRed on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd give you a buck for that.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited April 2007
    I'd give you a buck for that.

Ok

Now get everyone else to and we have a deal ;)

BigRed on
    edited April 2007
    I'm in.

Profs on
    edited April 2007
    I do wonder if armagetron might make the list this year for some light cycle action. Or hell, tron 2.0

Only if it's old school Armagetron with wallgrinding, as opposed to the shitfest that the newer versions of Armagetron provide.

I would totally be in that tournie if it was the good version of Armagetron.

I was a whore at that game.

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
    edited April 2007
    runaway.gif

(But no. That'd be a fun byoc thing to do, though. You know, if people could get it setup on their computers. ;))

David Coffman on
    edited May 2007
    Any news on what the games are gonna be?

I'm gettin' antsy.

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
    edited May 2007
    I haven't heard any sign that Quake Wars has been delayed past the June 6th date. If it makes the date, it should be going gold in a couple weeks or so. And then we just gotta figure out if it's at least as fun as Battlefield.

Other than that, no new information, including any psuedo-reliable speculation on when there will be new info.

We know you guys are foaming at the mouth for new stuff, but the last thing we want to do is get ya'll excited over something that may not pan out.

David Coffman on
This discussion has been closed.