As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The 2010 Resolution Thread or D+D Goes to the Gym

• RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    why would you eat after you brush your teeth

Because you want to wash the gross shit that grows on your teeth overnight off before you ingest food

Robman on
  • TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    why would you eat after you brush your teeth

Because you want to wash the gross shit that grows on your teeth overnight off before you ingest food

I know that MY eggs taste better with that nice wintergreen aftertaste in my mouth.

TheMarshal on
  • TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chest, legs and back are a looot better to do free-weights, because of the huge number of support muscles they involve. Although, it's really fucking annoying to work your hamstrings not on a machine and you MUST, absolutely MUST work them about as hard as you work your quads or you will DESTROY your knees.

What kind of exercises work out hamstrings, other than isolation exercises? I've got creaky knees, and I'm wondering if ensuring that my hamstrings are a little stronger would help that.

TheMarshal on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Went back to the gym tonight to lift. I am a weakling again but plan on going 2-3 times a week to lift plus some running.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    Chest, legs and back are a looot better to do free-weights, because of the huge number of support muscles they involve. Although, it's really fucking annoying to work your hamstrings not on a machine and you MUST, absolutely MUST work them about as hard as you work your quads or you will DESTROY your knees.

What kind of exercises work out hamstrings, other than isolation exercises? I've got creaky knees, and I'm wondering if ensuring that my hamstrings are a little stronger would help that.

Squats! Even just bodyweight is good, but you have to go down as far as you can go. It'll probably take a bit until you can stretch down that low. Check out Starting Strength if you want to see the exact form, but if you're just using bodyweight, it's not as big a deal.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wake up, shave before I'm awake enough to realize I'm doing it because I hate shaving, then I shower to wake up. Then breakfast while I catch up on webcomics and D&D.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2010
    TheMarshal wrote: »

I just did this to test it out, and it's really good for working your erectors (hurr hurr) and your hamstrings
    hamstrings-exercises-exercise-ball-curls.gif

Robman on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been wanting to get into better shape. I have no idea what a reasonable target weight for my height/build is. I am currently 184 lbs. I have a bit of fat I could burn but I'm looking more towards results like "being able to run longer" sort of thing.

That said I'm definitely interested in participating in this thread.

Inquisitor on
  • Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This looks pretty cool, I'm in.

I have 17 pounds to lose, but I also want to increase my run time per mile from 9:00 to 6:30. Especially since I have a 10k run in March fuck yeah

Matt_S on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    even though I was a bit hungover today, I got my shit together and went to the gym after work

I tried a branch in La Jolla, which is richy richville, expecting it to be awesome

it was shitty

so I did my 30 min on the elliptical and left, and I'll go tomorrow to the regular gym to make up for the half-assed workout today

skippydumptruck on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm shooting for gym three times a week. That's about what I did last Fall semester too. I've even got the time schedule M-W-F. My girlfriend goes too at the same time as me, so we motivate each other. It works out well.

I tried a branch in La Jolla, which is richy richville, expecting it to be awesome

They named a ville after me? Yeah I'll bet it was awesome! :P

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wake up, exercise, then take a shower. Why shower twice?

Also ran 4 miles this morning, as it was 0C today. I don't run outside below 0C (hop on the bike trainer otherwise) but today was exactly 32F so outside I went. Felt damn good too, although my legs were a little jello-y since I hadn't run in a couple weeks. Will probably run tomorrow, saturday, sunday, and monday as well. I love warm spells.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    So for the record I am 170 lbs and 6'0" and can barely bench 10 reps of anything over 100 lbs. Maybe 110.

I also got a stitch after 2 miles at 6.5 mph on a treadmill.

We will see how this working out thing goes for me. I guess this is my starting point?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i'm an unemployed grad student so my routine is wake up, breakfast, then work out at home or at the on-campus gym 3-5 days a week. i have an elliptical at home and some exercise DVDs, as well as some free weights. i started doing yoga a couple of weeks ago and i'm noticing pretty decent changes in my flexibility and strength. holy shit yoga is HARD.

my problem is that i'm a lazy, lazy girl. my goal is to be consistent with my exercise (i really suck at that), and to stop looking for a number. i also want to keep my health in check, most importantly. i worked at a mall for two years and ate nothing but food court garbage and it definitely shows. i'm down about 17lbs since then, and still got some to go. yeah!

retrovm on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I should get in shape.

Currently my only real "resolution" type goal is to get my blue belt in jijitsu this year, which I almost certainly should be able to do if I continue training at my current rate (4 times a week).

Thing about jujitsu though, is that its easy to be lazy. So sure I learn technique to turn my opponents into pretzels, but it means that I'm not gaining any muscle when I train. My cardio has also gone totally to shit over the last few years. I'd like to start training some Judo or some sort of striking art, partially because these will be better for my physically.

Cardio is what I need the most. I've never been a distance runner but I did track and field in middle school, and boy was that a while ago now. I pant if I sprint up a flight of stairs now. Running is what I should be doing. I live in winter-town so thats not happening for probably the next 3 months anyway though, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to motivate myself to do it anyway. Swimming would also be great, I'll have to check out local pools and see if I can get anything going.

I wouldn't mind gaining some weight/putting on muscle either. I'm 6'3 and 165 with broad shoulders, my frame could handle another 10 or 15 pounds easy just for me to stop looking skinny. I used to be quite strong from working lots of labour jobs, but no longer. A girl I train with poked fun at me (literally, she poked me in my lat), telling my I had no muscle and need to gain weight. Its true. I cannot afford a gym member ship so I'm not sure how I'll go about doing that. Another labour job would be ideal, since its functional strength I want. A six pack would be cool I guess but thats not something I'd work towards.

The only reason I'm posting here is that I may have started something tonight. I went to a class at my martial arts club I don't normally go to, a conditioning class. Oh how it destroyed me. But it must have done me a ton of good, and I might not even be sore in the morning. I'll try to take that class (only once a week unfortunately) for a few consecutive weeks to try and get me into some sort of conditioning routine. Oh, I'd also like to get back to being able to do 50 pushups. I'm back up to 40 if I push myself right now.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited January 2010
    People who talk shit about yoga don't even know

I actually started it to finally kill off what damage remained in my back form a rugby injury I got about six years ago, because the slight differential in back strength is throwing off my skiing.

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    People who talk shit about yoga don't even know

I actually started it to finally kill off what damage remained in my back form a rugby injury I got about six years ago, because the slight differential in back strength is throwing off my skiing.

yeah dude it's asskicking hard. i really like it though and i feel that burn for like, two days after. i supplement it with cardio on the off days.

retrovm on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    retrovm wrote: »
    my problem is that i'm a lazy, lazy girl. my goal is to be consistent with my exercise (i really suck at that), and to stop looking for a number. i also want to keep my health in check, most importantly. i worked at a mall for two years and ate nothing but food court garbage and it definitely shows. i'm down about 17lbs since then, and still got some to go. yeah!

Having goal numbers are good if you're actually dieting or have deadlines, but yeah, the laze can be tough. What worked for me was a goal event, or at least a goal "benchmark."

I exercise w/ my wife so we tend to kick each other's asses into shape if the other is feeling lazy. Usually that's me, because I'm at my "stasis point" -- the size & shape I'm happy with -- but I still check the weather and point out when we can work out (even if I do bitch under the blankets in the morning).

Having a training partner really is a good thing, although having your partner also be your spouse or boy/girlfriend seems to really be the way to go. Beyond staying fit together it's also something to do and talk about. I'm a fan; I wouldn't be nearly as motivated to do this stuff if I lived by myself. You single people doing it have my respect.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    EggyToast wrote: »
    You single people doing it have my respect.

It helps that being in better shape would, presumably, hopefully make us single folks more attractive to other single folks, thus ending the problem.

Also, losing some extra pounds seems likely to help with any confidence issues, so it might in some ways be a self-fullfilling prophecy sort of situation.

"I feel better because I feel better" or some such.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Forar wrote: »

It helps that being in better shape would, presumably, hopefully make us single folks more attractive to other single folks, thus ending the problem.

Also, losing some extra pounds seems likely to help with any confidence issues, so it might in some ways be a self-fullfilling prophecy sort of situation.

Ironically not as much as you would think.

That's actually another personal, less measurable, goal for me this year. To start feeling less like the 260 pound loser I saw myself for countless years.

Kyougu on
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

Ironically not as much as you would think.

That's actually another personal, less measurable, goal for me this year. To start feeling less like the 260 pound loser I saw myself for countless years.

No, it's been shown that exercise improves people's outlook and mood quite substantially, to the point where some clinicians are just recommending regular exercise to treat low-grade depression as a preliminary treatment.

Robman on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In an effort to drop some weight and tone up a bit, I'm taking a Tai Chi class this semester. Holy crap, it's a much better workout than I had ever anticipated.

Turns out supporting all your weight with your legs for an hour does wonders for them.

Kilroy on
    edited January 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »
    In an effort to drop some weight and tone up a bit, I'm taking a Tai Chi class this semester. Holy crap, it's a much better workout than I had ever anticipated.

Turns out supporting all your weight with your legs for an hour does wonders for them.

It's not just supporting your weight, it's constantly moving that does it.

Robman on
    edited January 2010

yeah, i'm one of the solo ones. i work out with a friend sometimes, but my parents always ran together and i thought it was a nice idea. sometimes i do prefer to work out alone though, i get into the zone so to speak.

the "looking good naked" factor is important and motivating as a single lady as well, haha.

retrovm on
    edited January 2010
    freshly weighed

215.4 lbs starting point

1st goal: 200 lbs

skippydumptruck on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Skippy what's your height?

I've only seen your face but you look relatively slim.

---

Also I'll own up to the fact that I've been slacking... I've actually put on three more lbs, as of this morning. I'm weighing in at 205. Don't be me, guys!

Organichu on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I forgot to weigh myself this morning and already ate lunch.

I blame staying out till 4 in the morning.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Skippy what's your height?

I've only seen your face but you look relatively slim.

6'2"

I'm a good-size guy, frame-wise, so it's a little easier for me to carry extra weight and not show it as much

skippydumptruck on
    edited January 2010

yeah, i'm one of the solo ones. i work out with a friend sometimes, but my parents always ran together and i thought it was a nice idea. sometimes i do prefer to work out alone though, i get into the zone so to speak.

the "looking good naked" factor is important and motivating as a single lady as well, haha.

Oh please, to be "good looking" men have to basically have a body fat % of sub-10%, whereas women are generally viewed as unhealthy for dipping below 12-13%

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    Oh cool, I've found a guide that shows body type and body fat %, I'll stick that in the OP. It will help you get a rough idea where you sit, and where you want to go, and give you a good idea about healthy weight loss targets.

EDIT for lazy people.
    FOR MEN. Body Fat % Illustrations. Subtract finish % from start %, multiply by body weight and there's your fat loss goal.
    men-body-fat-high.jpg
    men-body-fat-low.jpg

FOR WOMEN Body Fat % Illustrations. Subtract finish % from start %, multiply by body weight and there's your fat loss goal.
    women-body-fat-high.jpg
    women-body-fat-low.jpg

Robman on
    edited January 2010

Oh please, to be "good looking" men have to basically have a body fat % of sub-10%, whereas women are generally viewed as unhealthy for dipping below 12-13%

that is true, the double standard is weird. women naturally have more fat deposits as it is, so when women get too thin it just looks weird. i'm in the 20ish percent i think. i carry weight well as i'm proportionate at the very least!

i like my dudes pretty average, but preferably in some kind of decent shape.

retrovm on
    edited January 2010
    Organichu on
    edited January 2010

that is true, the double standard is weird. women naturally have more fat deposits as it is, so when women get too thin it just looks weird. i'm in the 20ish percent i think. i carry weight well as i'm proportionate at the very least!

i like my dudes pretty average, but preferably in some kind of decent shape.

15-20% is a good weight, so I wouldn't set my weight loss target to more then 5 lbs, and I'd be careful that I wasn't masking fat loss with muscle gain. Seriously, as a woman you need 15-20% body fat to properly buffer your hormonal fluctuations. The hollywood body with <10% BF in women is not healthy until post-menopause, when you're not having periods/pregnancy.

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    i am so in pain. can hardly bend my arms or shoulders

maybe i will go back tomorrow

gotta remember to take it easy starting off. i don't want to break myself.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited January 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    i am so in pain. can hardly bend my arms or shoulders

maybe i will go back tomorrow

gotta remember to take it easy starting off. i don't want to break myself.

Keep stretching every so often, that will stop the worst of the DOMS

Robman on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Women also have more fat deposits NOT in the skin, so even though they technically have more fat it won't show it. And those deposits can't really be worked off, so saying it's a double standard is kind of pushing it.

edit:: did some squats and arnold presses today after not lifting for a couple months. I didn't do as bad as I thought, I think I should be back to where I was in a week or two.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2010
    I would like to look like the gentleman at 15% body fat :O

so if my current weight is 215 and my current BMI is 27.6 (:()

then I need to lose 27.6-15 = 12.6

.126*215 = ~27 lbs of fat I would have to lose to look like that

so I guess 188 is my ultimate goal

is that right?

the NIH tells me 188 would put me at 24.1 BMI, which as just under overweight :l

skippydumptruck on
    edited January 2010
    Skippy BMI is a pretty awful judge of bodyfat for all but the most incredibly sedentary of people- and even then it's still a pretty big guesstimation

If you'd be comfortable posting a shirtless pic we could provide an estimated bf%... and that would give you a much more accurate purview of what you need to accomplish

Organichu on
    edited January 2010
    heh

perhaps when I reach my first goal of 200

skippydumptruck on
    edited January 2010
    Okay

I shall be patient, sitting here with my box of tissues
    i'm using them to blow my nose, of course

Organichu on