As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EQ] Free EverQuest Classic Server - It's Good To Be Back

• Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm Quinn level 3 monk.

badpoet on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ok, I'm Feldorn, lvl 1 necro

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Good lord i forgot how stupid meditate skill ups were to get.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haha, planning to hit 8 (and then 9) tonight on the Druid, then Meditate shall be mine!

And dear God do Druid spells suck til you hit 9.

I was trying to heal a Crushbone group last night.

10 mana for a 10 hp heal.

lol

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was planning to use my paladin to heal my friends but I had totally forgotten that pallys don't get any spells till level 9, lol. I can use lay hands but that skill recharges like what, once every 4 hours or so? So yeah, good times. I can at least still tank for them though so it's not all bad. I know I'm gonna try and put this on my thumbdrive and play at work, it should work much better than the current version of EQ since it's using an older engine.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah Paladins are not like other games. They are a tank/dps/support class only in this game. When they do get healing spells they are 10-20 levels or so behing clerics.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait, you need EQ Titanium for this, but it only uses the classic stuff pre-expansion? Just making sure... I don't have titanium, but I have a bunch of other EQ packages around the house.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah it only has the classic stuff at the moment but uses a few of the newer things introduced in later expansions (like the improved UI, etc.) so you can't use any of the other Everquest packages except Titanium or Secrets of Faydwer.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BloodMuffinBloodMuffin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is it possible to use luclin models? I might be the only person who liked the new character models :/

BloodMuffin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is it possible to use luclin models? I might be the only person who liked the new character models :/

Nope, they want an experience as close to the original as possible (some models such as skeletons and wolves use the newer ones but everything else seems to be the original). Sorry but you really are in the minority here. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuck Unrest.

Fuck it hard.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mmm..dwarven work boots.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Mmm..dwarven work boots.

great now my druid needs to work on his paw of opalla

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Few more levels I'll be trying for the Testament of Vanear, had one on my Druid on Live and it was a fun quest with a nice reward.

Also:

Fuck Dorn

Fuck Him

Was aiming for 9 and made it to 11 last night ;-)

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sorry Gandite, I got disconnected and the login server is down.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was wondering if they might be... I was just going to try logging in. Borrowed a friend from work's copy today.

I'm not going to lie, I've never gotten into EQ... I was a big AC player when EQ originally came out. No idea what I'll play... Druid and Rogue are calling to me, though. Dunno why. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Finally got the guild made. We are <Exquisite>. Send a /tell to Dyne to get added to it, and as soon as I can figure out how the fuck to add officers, you can also ask others on the roster.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Finally got the guild made. We are <Exquisite>. Send a /tell to Dyne to get added to it, and as soon as I can figure out how the fuck to add officers, you can also ask others on the roster.

nice.

in other news, i've made it to lvl 4 on my necro. considering tinkering on a shaman, but i probably won't.

are there any quests we lowbie/newbies can do for gear? i've seen quests for newbie gear, but it appears that those are only for later expansions.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuck Unrest.

Fuck it hard.

This just reminds me of a character I once had, though it was fairly well twinked. I had an Erudite Paladin twinked with that shield that gave ultravision (cause seriously WTF Verant.. make places completely fucking dark and say "OLOL your race can't see in the dark, but every other race (other than 3 total) can see in the dark!) And a sword, I believe it was called Ghoulbane that would proc damage against undead targets only.

I took him into Unrest at the proper level, and absolutely destroyed the place.

But god did I hate the "hybrid" class system EQ had.

"You are part cleric, part warrior."

Translation: You're maybe 1/5th as good as each parent class.. you tank worse than a warrior, your spells are at least 10 levels behind the cleric, but you have 1 cool ability on a 5 year timer. Don't waste it!

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    MyCoCoMyCoCo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This game held me for longer than any other I have ever played (along with Planetside, odd that probably the most hate generating mmo company going created my two favourite ones). Got it just as Kunark came out and quit about 2 years later. So many awesome memories.

Characters models were awesome and the animations, oh god the animations were glorious. The feeble scream and "Death Flop" when a character died never failed to crack me up. Played on the PVP servers though so I never really got much higher than 40 on my Iksar Shaman, had too much fun with the crazy community on the Zek servers. Quit when they patched in a change to the way the endgame worked for PVE but this also made resistances in PVP completely useless so a lot of people quit, including me. From what I heard though the game went downhill after Velious so maybe that's not a bad thing.

Did come back just to see what had happened to the main game about 6 months ago but it had been updated to be more inline with the newer mmos so had lost any charm it once had for me. If I could find a retail copy of Titanium I'd get into this but no luck, not even sure if it was ever available in the UK.

MyCoCo on
  • Options
    OtistheGuardOtistheGuard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I got everything installed and was able to log-in to the server last night. The only problem is I can't decide on my class. My main back in the day was a Ranger and I want a similar character (melee DPS with utility spells) but the only other options are SK and Pally. If Beastlord was an option I'd jump on that in a second.

Oh well, I have 7 hours at work to decide.

EDIT: And of course when I look at the list of current players we don't have a single Ranger. I might have to re-roll Elrathh of Kelethin...

EDIT2: Does anyone know if the experience penalities are live on this server? -40% to experience does not seem appealing.

OtistheGuard on
    SC2: Cleomenes.943
    XBL: Aspis 9
    Lotro (Landroval): Cleomenes [Champion], Ilithano [Captain]
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There are ways to acquire Titanium without getting a physical copy. Rather easily too, and if you gave them years of subscription fees and payed for the physical copies in the past, I don't see why you'd feel bad about it.

And screw you guys... played EQ from the original classic release up through Planes of Power (when the game began to really suck ... though Luclin was kinda bad too) and now you're drawing me back in.

I think it may be time.

ps. Sol Ro / Sullon Zek (SZ WOOOO) forever!

Karrmer on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The first time i tried everquest,i had no idea where to go and what to do...so i gave up D: But dam you guys i guess i'll give it another go

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The first time i tried everquest,i had no idea where to go and what to do...so i gave up D: But dam you guys i guess i'll give it another go

Oh that's the best part. When I started as a wee elven lad, I regularly got lost in the forest of Greater Faydark, and IT WAS AWESSOMMEE!

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really loved how EQ didn't have any maps at all. Even with a map that you find online (which were hand drawn, lawl) it was hard to find things. EQ was a game you genuinely learned and it took a long time. Remembering landmarks in zones (navigating the Karana's, the swamp near guk, etc could be confusing as shit). The hugeness of the world too, which seemed so huge mainly because your primary form of transportation was often just running .. running like a normal person, for far too long, all the way to the place you wanted to get to. No instant gratification.

And oh god ... the dungeons. Trap floors, secret walls, hidden rare mobs, etc. All had to be found on your own, dangerous as balls, out in the scary dungeon where death meant a definite long and agonizing corpse run. It just felt so much more intense, more real and rewarding. I bound outside of Dagnor's once because I was camping the Idol of the Thorned at the release of kunark (TONS OF CASH OLZ) and fell asleep at the keyboard. Mobs trained to the zone in chain-killed me, I went from level 54 to level 47 overnight. Awesome. Kept playing though, some of my corpses were rezzable so I ended at level 51 or something.

It just seemed enormously more like a "real world" as has been said. The modern shifts in current MMO's are nice since I don't have to spend hours getting groups together but it will never feel the same, IMO, without taking everything back to the old unforgiving hardcore ways of EQ

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Karrmer wrote: »
    There are ways to acquire Titanium without getting a physical copy. Rather easily too, and if you gave them years of subscription fees and payed for the physical copies in the past, I don't see why you'd feel bad about it.

And screw you guys... played EQ from the original classic release up through Planes of Power (when the game began to really suck ... though Luclin was kinda bad too) and now you're drawing me back in.

I think it may be time.

ps. Sol Ro / Sullon Zek (SZ WOOOO) forever!

I missed the majority of the the early days of SZ D: I took a break inbetween Tallon Zek and joining an irl friend on Sullon. Missed out on Fansy and everything, friend got quite famous though. That server was a blast though, community made for much entertainment, seem to remember someone alluding to Sullon being the Mos Eisley server.

I should feel bad for all the griefing I did, especially on the opening night of the server, but everyone was doing it so...eh.

MyCoCo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hell yeah, Karrmer! Let me know what your name is when you get on! We used to rock together in Vanguard. :)

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    CianiCiani Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Brian wrote: »
    I am going to make a bard, found my disk

Be warned. They don't quite work like you remembered and you can't twist as fast because some songs hang or don't even activate when you click them. But damn is charm awesome. Seriously you can do spectres till 50. I did anyway.

can you not just /melody your songs anymore? i remember a guy i know would just /melody and it would auto twist 4 songs.

i should try and acquire titanium and play around with this again to remember how good we have it now.

since i burned my discs from this game long ago.

//seriously.

if i do i'll be a necro. should i stick with dark elf, or be something else? i know it's cliche D:

Don't know if anyone answered this question but YES you can TWIST songs as a bard still. :) I was playing my bard and did it really easily although I switched to druid due to popular demand. :P

Ciani on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is it still automatic with melody though? Because that could get me to play a bard.

OtistheGuard on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hell yeah, Karrmer! Let me know what your name is when you get on! We used to rock together in Vanguard. :)

Haha holy moly I remember you! Vanguard was super fun too, I just ran out of time to play and kinda feel bad about it. Absolutely the most fun I've had in an MMO since original EQ... and considering who made it, that makes sense.

Sullon Zek was a hilarious server because the community was very small so everyone knew everyone and the reputations followed you. This was similar on just about every EQ server (which is another EQ strong point) but was a bit more extreme on SZ because of the small population and the drama that was often caused by the insane PVP that resulted in XP loss etc on death... like when one of the best bards on the server fell asleep, his bind point was located, and he was griefed all the way down from 60 to level 40 or some garbage.

When I first started playing Warhammer Online, a random guy there sent me a whisper and said he remembered me griefing him for weeks in greater Faydark. To be fair, it was Karrmerr that did it (my IRL pal, the three of us played as Karrmer Karmerr and Karrmerr) but it amused me that a guy was still raged about that like ... 7 or 8 years later?

Yeah, Sz was the Mos Eisley server. I ccould go on for months about all the hilariously awful things that happened on and off the server (the server forums consistently launching "Jihad's" against other ezboard forums, battling against the owner Ez-Steve himself, etc etc) but.. yeah. Good times.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    /melody was not Classic, and is not in. Also, there is a bug right now with bards where sometimes the songs will get "stuck", so you just have to twist a little bit slower.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, Otis, to answer your original questions, yes, races/classes have experience point penalties. See my OP for the details on the races/classes that have them.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I played a halfling rogue in original everquest. Sneak/hide was the shit. Oh man, and my dwarven warrior. His last name was BeardyMcBeardBeard. It was obnoxiously long. I enjoyed this game. Vastly. I am not sure I can bother to play this but it is now in the back of my mind.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I kept seeing one of the main guys from Flowers of Happiness in basically every mmo I played after EQ, got kind of weird actually.

Do you remember the perma-death pvp server they opened as a competition? Pretty sure a guy from Sullon won that, can't remember his name though.

Anyway the bug has now bitten and I'm going to play, damn. Going Troll I think, Warrior maybe if there's a shortage of tanks.

MyCoCo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think that server was Discord? I followed it a bit but don't remember who won. I wasn't nearly hardcore enough for that insane server.

SZ was genuinely the best time I've had in any video game ever. Leaving <Hate> and rolling as a ludicrous goodie twink when Frogloks came out, joining <Raging Rainbows>, laugh. Ridiculous server.

I'm excited to get home and get this game going. I'll probably be a rogue because I was always a rogue. The legend of Plane of Hate corpse runs.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hahah yeah I remember RR, EZ-Steve and everything, also when they added cross server chat and (for some reason) forgot Sullon's reputation. I have no idea how many people got suspended/banned on that day.

Good side was where it was at since you were never short of places to sneak around in and attack unsuspecting people. Just before my friend quit I had rolled a ranger named Dendro Philiac (original =/), he gave me all his level 60ish items, some of which I could use.

My last few weeks in the game involved getting to level 20 to get rid of most of the damage cap and get double attack and going round evil zones appropriate to my level and one shotting people with a Tantor's Tusk. Oh the rage it caused, usually caused some high level to come squash me. Cheap laughs but a pretty appropriate way to end my time on Sullon.

MyCoCo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tantor's Tusk jousting was hilarious.

Our goodie twinks were all wizards (me and my pals) with dumb gear (that one caster sword with +health regen and tons of +health items) and we'd just get that long ass enchanter mana regen buff and go to Paludal Caverns and 2 shot everyone we saw. I agree with another guy in here, that hilarious noise people make when they die followed by the instant collapse is just far more amusing than it should be.

Good times. Perhaps we shall venture together, as SZ buddies.

(gay)

(hot)

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I've been taking screenshots but I can't find them anywhere. Does anyone know where they get saved to, or does the screenshot function not work?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    So I've been taking screenshots but I can't find them anywhere. Does anyone know where they get saved to, or does the screenshot function not work?

You take screenshots with the - key on numpad. Then they're in the screenshots folder in your EverQuest directory.

The Sneak! on
This discussion has been closed.