As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Money/Budgeting Software

JensenJensen Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd love to hear some recommendations for budgeting software. I'm looking to be more organized in my finances, but I'd like something a little more than making my own spreadsheet, or doing it by hand. Someone told me I should checkout "Money" but I'd like more opinions. I'm not a billionaire and nor do I run my own business, so something basic I suppose.

signaturedisgaea.png
Jensen on

• Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've used these:

MS Money = fantastic, best choice if you run Windows
    Intuit's Quicken = very good, not as user-friendly as Money though, lacking a couple cool Money features
    Cha-ching = promising OS X software (still in beta)
    wesabe.com = free, only way to enjoy social budgeting

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    One thing to definitely check out is to see if your banking website will export directly into any particular finance software.

For a while I was exporting my bank statement straight from WaMu's website into Microsoft Money.

However, these days I just use Excel. I enjoy the flexibility. Each month is a new worksheet, each year is a new workbook. You said you don't want to use a spreadsheet, but I find that the financial packages are a little too limiting for me.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    One thing to definitely check out is to see if your banking website will export directly into any particular finance software.

For a while I was exporting my bank statement straight from WaMu's website into Microsoft Money.

However, these days I just use Excel. I enjoy the flexibility. Each month is a new worksheet, each year is a new workbook. You said you don't want to use a spreadsheet, but I find that the financial packages are a little too limiting for me.

I have also tried Money and I agree with Feral on all points. I like using spreadsheets for different reasons though:

1. I find that finance software has too many features. Seems to be a little too complicated. It's not that I don't understand them, but with a spreadsheet you're seeing exctly what you want to be seeing and working with.
    2. Google Spreadsheets allows me to work on it from anywhere. This is great because sometimes I'll have a little downtime at work and I can mess around with my budget.

Lach on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give Money a whirl, and if it's a bit much I may just go ahead with spreadsheets.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png