As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quick Informal Poll on the Concerts

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited October 2005 in PAX Archive
Just curious...

Some guy.
Robert Khoo on

• GaminGamin Brockport, NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I sincerely don't want to start a fight. I'm sure I can't sway any of your opinions and you sure as hell can't sway mine.

I would just like to be put in the "Please don't invite MC Chris next year" camp.

I just don't think he fits well with the PAX setting... again.. personally.

Gamin on
    Damn i really like Ferrari, but they are letting the fans down because other car companies sell more cars than them!
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited September 2005
    All feedback is welcome. Thanks. :)

edit: oh and feel free to rank if you'd like.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    Pale:

I respect your opinion, but you simply can't deny how the audience as a whole reacted to MCChris. He very much fit in.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I'm gonna disagree on that point. Although MC Chris doesn't fit my particular tastes, it was easy enough for me to wander out of the show, get a Frontalot CD signed, track down a drink and relax for a bit before heading back in for the next show.

When I left and when I came back, there seemed to be plenty of people enjoying the show, so I think it would be a shame not to invite him back.

NotASenator on
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I'm struck at an impasse. NESkimos absolutely, positively rocked on the gaming side of things, but MC Chris was by far the most entertaining show. I'd love to see them both back.

Conney Lin though, while very talented, was the least entertaining act as far as I'm concerned. The Video Game Pianist had a lot more variety and played similar songs better.

Thello on
    edited September 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    Pale:

I respect your opinion, but you simply can't deny how the audience as a whole reacted to MCChris. He very much fit in.

You do have a point...

I guess I should reword that as "he doesn't fit in with what i think PAX represents" =P

Yes I'm aware how stupid that statement is...

Anyway, my point stands. I just wanted my singular voice to be heard in case there was a multitude of others who agreed with me.

Also, my rankings (only for the second day cause i missed the first)

1. Minibosses
    2. Connie Lin

10. MC Frontalot (he was fun, but had I seen the first night I'm sure I would have preferred some of them to him)

at the very bottom. MC Chris.

;)

Gamin on
    Damn i really like Ferrari, but they are letting the fans down because other car companies sell more cars than them!
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    Thello wrote:
    Conney Lin though, while very talented, was the least entertaining act as far as I'm concerned. The Video Game Pianist had a lot more variety and played similar songs better.

Yeah. She's great, but she needs to learn a few more songs.

Like some Chrono Trigger.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2005
    MC Chris, he doesnt do live shows that much but I wouldnt have known from the performance he put on at PAX... Followed closely by MC Frontalot who played a damn good set as well, love his new CD too.

Last year I would have said the Minibosses being the first time I had seen them, although they still rocked this year it just wasnt as memorable this year. They kept asking for requests and other then the chanting of Contra they pretty much ignored all the other requests and played almost the exact same set as they did last year, they even started with Mega Man 2 and ended with Metroid again...

Connie Lin was my least favorite overall though, Im just not much of a fan of Final Fantasy and slow piano music is a great way to lull someone to sleep(I actually fell asleep during her performance last year) so I chose to leave and come back when the real concert started.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited September 2005
    This brings up an interesting point.

It seems pretty apparent that a lot of the hating (mine included) is brought on by genre tastes. What are the chances of dividing the bands based on genre next year? I think that would be pretty sweet.

You could have a hip-hop night, a rock night, and then awesome piano music in the afternoon or something.

Gamin on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    eelektrik wrote:
    Last year I would have said the Minibosses being the first time I had seen them, although they still rocked this year it just wasnt as memorable this year. They kept asking for requests and other then the chanting of Contra they pretty much ignored all the other requests and played almost the exact same set as they did last year, they even started with Mega Man 2 and ended with Metroid again...

They played Punch-Out! which I requested since the beginning...I dunno if they played that last year or not.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    They all rocked, and while I felt Frontalot had the best set, chris was ultimately the most entertaining. I might've enjoyed some of the others more if the acoustics in the theatre had been better.

1. chris
    2. Front
    3. Minibosses
    4. Optimus
    5. Videogame Pianist
    6. Neskimos
    7. Connie Lin

That's not to say Connie was bad, just that she was my least favourite.

Azio on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    People need to learn to shut the hell up when there's a piano player onstage.

Aside from that, Minibosses were the highlight, along with both nights for piano, followed by frontalot and optimus rhyme.

I'm not overly into rap or hiphop at all, but I didn't mind it....even bought a usually-functional frontalot cd, although I couldn't find the minibosses to get a disc from them at all.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited September 2005
    Was I the only guy that really wasn't impressed by the Minibosses at all?

Optimus Rhyme put on the most amazing set of the night. Holy fuck, it was outstanding.

Knob on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    For me its a tie between the NESkimos(I liked the metal aftertaste) and mc chris. But I voted for neskimos because they were the most fun to be around.

Shade on
  • duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Knob wrote:

No, but for me at least, it's mostly because they didn't play enough games I was familiair with.

duderdude2 on
  • CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    1. mcChris. Like the song goes...mcChris owns, I wanna go to an mcChris show. That was a big reason for me coming to PAX, to see mcChris again.

2. NESkimos. Rocked my fucking socks off. Great follow up to Optimus Rhyme.

3. McFrontalot. I had a hard time deciding who should get #3, but it definately goes to the 'Front.

4. Optimus Rhyme. I liked these guys alot, even though i'm still getting used to their more mellower style of rap.

5. Video Game Pianist. He was pretty cool, and I like him more than Conney Linn.

6. Conney Linn. Eh.

I'm not going to rank the Minibosses, since I didn't stick around to watch all of their set. My back was killing me from standing on too much concrete all day, so I went back to my hotel.

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    1. Front
    2. Optimus
    3. Minibosses

Pretty much how I would lay it out. I missed every concert last year so, I can't compare them, but Front really came prepared and did the job plus he's easily one of the nicest guys I met.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Desert ThunderDesert Thunder Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I missed the concerts on Saturday, but Optimus Rhyme was my favourite out of the Friday set.

Desert Thunder on
    I'm gonna build a stepfather factory.
  • coolpcoolp Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I think Conney Linn just went on at a bad time. After everyone was yelling and clapping and shit from the Omegathon karaoke she comes out and plays slow piano music. She played beautifully, but it was just bad timing. It would have been far better to have her as the closing act after the Minibosses.

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2005
    Knob wrote:

I thought they sound a lot better than the crap-quality recordings I've heard in the past, but at the same time they felt overhyped to me. They also didn't play blades of steel or a boy and his blob and that made me sad. ;)

Next year it would be really cool to have the Advantage or some of the Japanese metal bands that do video game music (the Black Mages, for instance) perform.

Unknown User on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I didn't see them this year, but last year the minobosses left me underwhelmed. I guess their show relies really heavily on people wanting to hear certain songs in guitar/rock format.
    For PAX, there are enough people who really get into it, so I think they're good in that respect.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • BeatByAGrrlBeatByAGrrl Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    I voted for MC Chris because he was the only act I'd listened to before PAX, so I was predisposed to liking him. But the NESkimos really rocked my world more than any other act.

BeatByAGrrl on
    when you punish a person for dreaming his dream, don't expect him to thank or forgive you. the best ever death metal band out of denton will in time both outpace and outlive you. hail satan!
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2005
    They also didn't play blades of steel or a boy and his blob and that made me sad. ;)

heh, I yelled that out a couple times myself, not really expecting them to play it but it would have been cool if they did.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    as much as i loved the Minibosses, to me they came in third place, just after Connie Lin, and Karaoke rovolution.

Nephirij on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Yeah, if it had been an option, I would've chosen Karaoke Revolution in a heartbeat.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2005
    eelektrik wrote:
    They also didn't play blades of steel or a boy and his blob and that made me sad. ;)

heh, I yelled that out a couple times myself, not really expecting them to play it but it would have been cool if they did.

Someone made a face at me for yelling a boy and his blob, it's my buddy's favorite game and I was hoping to hear those two notes in all their rocked out glory!

I only saw Sat's stuff and since people are making lists & hierarchies here's mine.

1. mc chris (worked the crowd like none other)
    2. minibosses (sounded tight, but too much distortion on the bass)
    3. piano chick (she was wicked talented, just very chill for the amount of adrenaline in the night)
    4. karaoke (I've never heard such a huge pop for someone FINALLY hitting the right pitch in a song)
    50. mc frontalot (I couldn't hear his mic, the backup guy sounded clearer, I just wasn't into it)

Unknown User on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2005
    Knob wrote:

Optimus Rhyme put on the most amazing set of the night. Holy fuck, it was outstanding.

Agreed.

Doc on
  • StigmaticCorpseStigmaticCorpse Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    About the Minibosses putting on almost the same set as before:
    1. You could tell they had specific songs they improved from last year, and they wanted to share it with us.
    2. 'Takes a lot of work transcribing those songs from games to guitar/dums. They only have so many that are high quality enough to play.
    3. The encores from chris, doubled with Meydenbouer's time limit, shortened the performance.
    4. They didn't play every song requested, because they did play most of the songs that a large number of people requested. A boy and his blob would have been awesome, but if only two people requested it, compared to the thirteen who requested something else, the something else will get played. And theres the chance they hadn't made the song.
    5. I Love metroid. It made me so happy that it was the finale' both years, and I hope it gets played in the future. And did anyone else noticed how much they improved it?
    6. Ghosts and Goblins kicked ass. I'm glad I screamed that one, or it wouldnt have been played (even though I screamed Ghouls and Ghosts, on accident.)

StigmaticCorpse on
    Omeganaut 2005 - MotionSupremacist
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited October 2005
    Much to my dismay, nobody played the theme from Oregon Trail :P

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2005
    I'm going to see Optimus Rhyme again the weekend after next. I missed out on buying a shirt and CD at PAX, so I'll make up for it there. :D

Doc on