As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My mother-in-law threw down the gauntlet...

AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Graphic Violence
My wife really enjoyed the Buffy TV show, so I figured she'd get a kick out of Season 8. And she did. Awesome. Bonus point for me, major nerd points for her. :)

Then she passed the first two comics on to her mom, who also religiously watched the TV series. And...she wasn't impressed. I don't know how much she read, but she didn't really get much out of what she did read. I asked her what she thought so far, and her reply was, "Eh. It didn't interest me at all. Comics just can't tell much of a story...there's not much there."

WHOA.

She doesn't realize it, but it's ON. Like Donkey Kong.

So, guys, you gotta help me out. I'm not a huge comic geek, but I definitely enjoy and appreciate the art form. My mother-in-law, apparently, does not. Recently, I've read (and enjoyed) Watchmen, the Star Wars Tales series (just for fun), Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, the first two TPBs of The Walking Dead, the first TPB of Y: The Last Man, and Ghost in the Shell. Now...what do I need to present to my mother-in-law, to show her that comics CAN have great writing, tell a great story, etc.?

Her tastes in things tend to be kinda what you'd expect from a grandmother...but slightly skewed. For example, she enjoys not only Mystery on PBS but also sci-fi TV shows like Firefly, BSG, Stargate (and the Tudors on Showtime has caught her attention, too). Books I've seen around her house include stories about Pompeii erupting, people survivng the plague in the Dark Ages, the DaVinci Code, history of the English language, fantasy novels, and some series about a family that travels back in time to the colonial era.

Of the comics I have around the house, I'm not sure there's anything there that would really grab her, fit her interests, and show her how good comics can be. MAYBE Y:The Last Man, but I need to read more than the first TPB to make that call. Watchmen...maybe. But that's about it. I know she wouldn't read The Walking Dead just because of the theme/violence/gore. Anyone have any suggestions?

AnakinOU on

• muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Invisibles? There is plenty of story crammed in there, but the subject matter might not be applealing to her.

muninn on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well-written story-telling gateway drug comics?

Kill Your Boyfriend?

Pride of Baghdad?

Fables?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hate to sound dismissive but I don't think watching Buffy is a prerequisite to enjoying comics. (I fuckin' hate it, son.) You're probably barking up the wrong tree.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Take a chance

All-Star Superman
    Play the easy card

Fables

Algertman on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    The Filth

Garlic Bread on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven't had a chance to read it, but I've heard nothing but good thinks about Pride of Baghdad...

How about Spider-Man: Blue?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    I doubt mainstream superhero comics are going to appeal to an older female

Garlic Bread on
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I'm not so sure the superhero card is the one to play. That's too cliche (comics == superheroes), and I imagine she'd have difficulty seeing beyond that aspect of things to the underlying story.

And I didn't mean to imply that Buffy fans would like comics, not at all. I only thought she might enjoy the comics because she enjoyed the TV series..simply because they were familiar characters, a continuation of a storyline she was familiar with, etc. I don't expect her to become a comic geek...I'd just like to show her that graphic storytelling *can* be just as rich, deep, enjoyable, etc. as any other form of art/literature. My discussion of her tastes and other interests was largely to give y'all something to work with when making suggestions and recommendations.

AnakinOU on
    edited April 2007
    I retract my previous statement and suggest you buy her Absolute New Frontier

and yourself Absolute New Frontier

and me another copy of Absolute New Frontier

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2007
    Well, you did ask for well-written comics.

Perhaps something in a Marmaduke?

Or maybe realize that the comic format is not for everyone and that some people might not like anything written in it. I mean, the Buffy comic is pretty much exactly like the show, so if she liked that, and doesn't like the comic, then chances are nothing you provide is going to help.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fables might be the way to go, she can't dislike that.

Joke answer: The Pro.

LRG on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We3?

ben0207 on
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    We3?

I expect she'd get confused by Quitely's paneling

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2007
    I think her dismissal of the comic is due to her pre-conceived notion of what a comic is...and more likely, what it cannot be. I don't think she read more than a dozen pages of the first book.

AnakinOU on
    edited April 2007
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    I think her dismissal of the comic is due to her pre-conceived notion of what a comic is...and more likely, what it cannot be. I don't think she read more than a dozen pages of the first book.

That's my point... I don't know what kind of book you are looking for that will overcome an entire dismissal of the medium, but I doubt one exists.

You might be better off showing her a movie based on a comic book and, if she likes it, mentioning the graphic novel from which it was created, then encouraging her to try the original.

Off the top of my head you could try V For Vendetta or perhaps Road to Perdition... the second has bonus points for having Tom Hanks, whom old people seem to enjoy.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You should try some non-action, literary comics. Check out Harvey Pekar's first Volume of American Splendor. The artwork is beautiful and unconventional, the storytelling is killer, honest, refreshing, and sometimes even funny. It's a great example of a what comics can do as a medium, and it's from the 70's, an era that your mother-in-law may appreciate more, depending on her age of course.

The Best American Comics of 2006 has been out for a while now, and is carried in most Borders bookstores. I'm about halfway through it, and it's fucking rad as hell. That might be something you want to pick up too.

Calvin and Hobbes might be another good choice.

TehChowd on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Tale of One Bad Rat

Anyone here who has not read this book needs to go buy it immediately.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »
    We3?

I expect she'd get confused by Quitely's paneling

Old ladies love cute animals though. Plus, if she finishes it all she'll probably start to cry, and that's always good.

Munch on
    edited April 2007
    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think she dismissed it because she was expecting to see an entire story, not 2/5 of a story. Chances are she'd have reacted better to the complete trade.

Fantasy people like Bone, but the cartoonish protagonist would probably be hard to get past.

Fables might be better suited for her, since it's mature without being sleezy or gory, but skip the first story arc because it's underwhelming.

And if she likes Firefly partially because of the cowboys, the current Jonah Hex might be good. It's not too gory.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited April 2007
    And oh yeah, Sandman. Sandman is great fantasy.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sandman. Easy call.

If she wants to have her notions of the spandex and cape types rocked, I can't recommend Kingdom Come enough. The art and story in that book has made a lot of my friends (and their families) comic readers.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    And oh yeah, Saga of the Swamp Thing. Saga of the Swamp Thing is great horror.

Fixed.
    Also, Seaguy.

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
    edited April 2007
    The problem with Swamp Thing is that it's about a guy named Swamp Thing. That's not going to help the book's case against someone who's already opposed to comics.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not so sure the superhero card is the one to play. That's too cliche (comics == superheroes), and I imagine she'd have difficulty seeing beyond that aspect of things to the underlying story.

And I didn't mean to imply that Buffy fans would like comics, not at all. I only thought she might enjoy the comics because she enjoyed the TV series..simply because they were familiar characters, a continuation of a storyline she was familiar with, etc. I don't expect her to become a comic geek...I'd just like to show her that graphic storytelling *can* be just as rich, deep, enjoyable, etc. as any other form of art/literature. My discussion of her tastes and other interests was largely to give y'all something to work with when making suggestions and recommendations.

I find that Astro City seems to work wonders. People expect Superhero = Cliche but I find the perspective shift in the Astro City books gives those cliches a shake up.

Thomamelas on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How about Age of Bronze? It's a really awesome adaptation of the Trojan War. It's nowhere near done yet, but the first two trades are great. It should appeal to her historical fiction tastes if she likes books about Pompeii.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sounds like a reasonably smart lady. Hit her with Watchmen or Sandman, like other people have been saying.

august on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Runaways because everyone loves Runaways.

deadonthestreet on
    edited April 2007
    Interesting. For my own personal reading, Sandman has seemed intriguing, but I have no idea where to start on that.

AnakinOU on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The beginning? Preludes and Nocturnes. The new covers have numbers on them.

There's also Absolute Sandman. It has the first 4 trades, recolored. I own it and love it, but it is a lot of money.

august on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fax from Sarajevo and Road to Perdition - I think any involvement of super hero in any shape or form might be an instant turn-off for her and won't give it a real try. Pride of Baghdad seems like a solid choice as well.

Slagmire on
  • Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The problem with Swamp Thing is that it's about a guy named Swamp Thing. That's not going to help the book's case against someone who's already opposed to comics.

The woman who religiously watches Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and Battlestar Galactica is going to turn a book down because it's called Swamp Thing?

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My vote goes to Watchmen.

Edit* this is because it completely breaks down the archetype comic characters that she would most likely be familiar with and also deals heavily with the cold war which she can relate to as she lived through it and all.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited April 2007

The woman who religiously watches Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and Battlestar Galactica is going to turn a book down because it's called Swamp Thing?

It's not like either of those had to compete with the notion that the entire medium of television is flawed.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Infinite Crisis.

Oh wait, DISproving her?

The Muffin Man on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My God Muffin Man, he doesn't want to kill her.

Munch on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    The Tale of One Bad Rat

Anyone here who has not read this book needs to go buy it immediately.

I refuse to let this story go unnoticed. It will completely sell her on the power of the medium.

Buy her The Tale of One Bad Rat and while you're at it, buy yourself a copy, too.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Munch wrote: »

Well it's his mother-in-law so you never know.

Or why not show her the news about Captain America's death?
    Seems to me if a media is unable to put forth a worthwhile story or character, we wouldn't be mourning Caps death as if he were an actual person?

The Muffin Man on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I vote Ex Machina. No prior comic experience necessary and a compelling lead in story.
    Downside is it's not a complete story at this point, but the arcs are pretty encapsulated. And if then if she wants more as it comes out it serves as proof of success.

akajaybay on
    edited April 2007
    Munch wrote: »

Well it's his mother-in-law so you never know.

Or why not show her the news about Captain America's death?
    Seems to me if a media is unable to put forth a worthwhile story or character, we wouldn't be mourning Caps death as if he were an actual person?

Slow news day.

Ex Machina's a great suggestion, though.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg