As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I am [Iron Man]

Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Graphic Violence
44_invincible_iron_man_25_02.jpg

So once upon a time a wealthy industrialist went to some war zone, got caught by the people the Americans were fighting and was forced to build a weapon for them.
Instead He built this
106416-130192-iron-man_super.png
And become the INVINCIBLE IRON MAN....

InvincibleIronMan01QuesadaVariant.jpg
The Main ongoing title for the moment is the "Invincible Iron Man" - with the team of Matt Fraction/Salvador Larroca. It is in the middle of Stark Disassembled Arc which has him being "rebooted" after the events that happened in the World's Most Wanted Arc. After this storyline concludes he'll come out a new IRON man.
43_invincible_iron_man_25_foilogram_variant__02.jpg
It has three Volumes out so far collecting the first arc (The Five Nightmares) and the 2nd arc (World's Most Wanted Vol 1 and 2). It also has an Omnibus coming out soon containing the first 19 issues(First two arcs) for a promo price to coincide with the Movie coming out.

Also starting in April he gets another ongoing "Iron Man Legacy" - with the team of Fred Van Lente/Steve Kurth.
This book is a non present day collection of tales throughout the Career of Iron Man. The first arc is title "War of the Iron Men".

Currently He's not a member of any Avengers team, but will most likely be on one following the end of Siege.(The Current STATUS QUO Changer Event for Marvel).

He also has a buddy named James Rhodes, who was initially a supporting character in volume one of Iron Man, Rhodes later assumed the mantle of Iron Man after Tony Stark's relapse into alcoholism. The character would continue in a supporting role and later resume the role of Iron Man following Stark's purported death. After Stark's return to the role of Iron Man, Rhodes continued as the superhero War Machine.
warmachine2cover.jpg

Some Awesome Tales of Iron Man
-Essential Iron Man Vol 1-3 (Black and White reprinting of the early issues of his original series for cheap)
-Iron Man Enter the Mandarin
-Demon in a Bottle
-Doom Quest
-Armor Wars
-Extremis
-Civil War

Iron_Man_2_teaser.jpg
He also has a sequel to his BLOCKBUSTER movie titled....IRON MAN 2 coming out May 7, 2010. Which appears to be loosely based on the Storyline "Armor Wars". Whiplash is in it and so is War Machine.
"The world is aware that billionaire inventor Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) is the armored Super Hero Iron Man. Under pressure from the government, the press and the public to share his technology with the military, Tony is unwilling to divulge the secrets behind the Iron Man armor because he fears the information will slip into the wrong hands. With Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), and James “Rhodey” Rhodes (Don Cheadle) at his side, Tony forges new alliances and confronts powerful new forces."

ultimates-1.png
Magna Inferno on

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Larocca's version of the new Iron Man armor looks a lot better than what was floating around a few weeks ago.

TexiKen on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has Ultimate Armor Wars been any good? I read the first issue and thought it was alright, but not much happened. Has it picked up at all?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Larocca's version of the new Iron Man armor looks a lot better than what was floating around a few weeks ago.

I didnt even realize that was the new armour when I saw that cover image.

KVW on
    edited January 2010
    I didn't see it at first but the Ben Reilly gloves gave it away (and the toned down little lights everywhere, it actually works that way).

TexiKen on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm really liking that new design

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's also an Iron Man: Noir mini coming out.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Iron Man: Noir better read like a Rocketeer adventure.

Munch on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Munch wrote: »

I just played the Dark Void demo.

Which is to say, yes.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited January 2010
    Either that or Big O with smaller robots.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For the Cover of 25 is that supposed to be Iron Monger up top there(villians side)

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    143999 wrote: »

I just played the Dark Void demo.

Which is to say, yes.

Mmm. In my mind it is delicious.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait. So there's a new Iron Man armor? Which one is it? I don't see anything that looks particularly new to me in those pictures.

Lucascraft on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's in on both of issue 25's covers.

Regarding the armor though, I can't wait for the inevitable golden thumbs up.

"Tony, is it true you slept with Maria Hill?"

:^:

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was thinking we needed an Invincable Iron Thread...but this works too.
    Virral wrote: »
    I'm really liking that new design

Yes, it's growing on me. I like how it's a hybrid of old and newer designs. The round power core still nicer than the shield/triangle design IMO.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The solicitation makes it sound pretty much like this. It's a straight up pulp adventure.

Also, the OP needs more War Machine love. The recent series by Greg Pak is woefully underrated.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited January 2010

There actually is an old thread titled Invincible Iron Thread.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=56853&highlight=invincible+iron

But it's old and dead and the OP doesn't have pretty pictures like this new thread does.

And I'm still not seeing any new Iron Man armor. I'm looking right at the #25 cover in the OP and nothing is jumping out at me as being new. Are the changes like incredibly subtle or something?

Edit:
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Also, the OP needs more War Machine love. The recent series by Greg Pak is woefully underrated.

I got the first 3 issues of the Grek Pak War Machine run and I lost interest. Did it get better as time went on?

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2010
    Look at the first spoiler tag Magna has in the OP, that is the design of the new Iron Man armor starting with #25.

Larocca's version on that cover is a lot more subtle and more armor-y than the hollywood designer guy's drawing.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

There actually is an old thread titled Invincible Iron Thread.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=56853&highlight=invincible+iron

But it's old and dead and the OP doesn't have pretty pictures like this new thread does.

And I'm still not seeing any new Iron Man armor. I'm looking right at the #25 cover in the OP and nothing is jumping out at me as being new. Are the changes like incredibly subtle or something?

Edit:

I got the first 3 issues of the Grek Pak War Machine run and I lost interest. Did it get better as time went on?

Yes. There was a lot of exploding, some people and Ares got turned into techno-zombie soldiers, Jason Strongbow showed up to help Rhodey and his crew beat up a weaponized Ultimo head, and the Dark Avengers make an appearance.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited January 2010
    Cool. Maybe I'll look for it in trade. I loved the art, especially the cover art, but the first couple issues just didn't have much action and I grew bored. It was mostly just Rhodes coercing that little guy into being his techie.

Lucascraft on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This recent run seemed to be nothing but action. There would be some dialogue then "Oh nooo a giant robot/zombie/horde/ultimo head!"

The parts with Ares are wonderful.

Langly on
    edited January 2010

One thing that baffled me about War Machine was how they made a big point of how he had been rebuilt with absolutely no Stark technology in him, so he'd be totally independent, and then straight away in the first story he goes out and recruits some villain who's an expert in Starktech because he needs a tech support guy to help maintain War Machine.

It's like, what? Are you even reading what you're writing here?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    edited January 2010
    See, when something is "Stark Tech" that means it has chips and hardware that are linked together. Basically every piece of "Stark Tech" is linked together. That's why the Skrulls were able to fuck over the world during Secret Invasion. Because basically everything was interconnected. Its a big network of technology.

I'm pretty sure there's a difference between "Stark Tech" and Stark Tech. One being the network of technology, the other being the concepts, ideas, and engineering behind the technology.

In the case of the early issues of War Machine, Rhodes was looking for an engineer that could help support his Stark Tech as in the actual technology, not the network. Rhodey's War Machine armor is based on Stark Technology, but it is not a part of the "Stark Tech" network if that makes sense. But the entire suit of armor is still built on the design theories of Tony Stark.

Yeah. Its a bit confusing.

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2010
    Basically, when he fixed up Rhodey, Tony used some shit he was doing in side projects that he made to be purposely independent of his regular Starktech, just in case some shit like Secret Invasion went down and all of his stuff was compromised. From the way it's used in the series, it's definitely a different beast than Tony's armor, even with the Extremis upgrade.

wwtMask on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's great to see Tony be such a mainstream big player in the Marvel U these days. I've loved the character for years, but he was always floating between the A and B list. Part of that is because he's had some awful, awful runs of comics, and it's good to see Iron Man go up in sales, relevance and quality over the past decade.

Hensler on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Basically, when he fixed up Rhodey, Tony used some shit he was doing in side projects that he made to be purposely independent of his regular Starktech, just in case some shit like Secret Invasion went down and all of his stuff was compromised. From the way it's used in the series, it's definitely a different beast than Tony's armor, even with the Extremis upgrade.

Here we go.
    The (current) War Machine armor's design incorporates advanced cyberware and several components derived from Obadiah Stane's reverse engineering of older Iron Man armor that makes him immune to any Starktech based systems attack.

Owenashi on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Have I asked what happened to the giant War Machine...thing that Stark sent Rhodes to activate during Secret Invasion in this thread yet?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited January 2010
    143999 wrote: »
    Have I asked what happened to the giant War Machine...thing that Stark sent Rhodes to activate during Secret Invasion in this thread yet?

He still had it at the beginning of the War Machine series and was using it to fight Ultimo, but I think it's been destroyed by Norman Osborn since then. But I could mistaken, that series was a real mess and I only bought it because Wonder Man was in it.

Hensler on
    edited January 2010
    How did they fix Rhodey's face? One issue he's all borg looking, now he looks fine. What did I miss?

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pretty sure cloning was involved.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited January 2010
    How did they fix Rhodey's face? One issue he's all borg looking, now he looks fine. What did I miss?

He got a new cloned body in the last issue of his series.

Hensler on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

He got a new cloned body in the last issue of his series.

Yeah. Osborn stole it for a bit but Rhodey's friends managed to get it back for a mind-transfer in the last issue.

Owenashi on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Warmachine Reborn?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Is there a reason Rhodey's clone body works compared to other attempts and other heroes and family who would also make good use and need a new body?

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Is there a reason Rhodey's clone body works compared to other attempts and other heroes and family who would also make good use and need a new body?

It's pays to be Tony Stark's best friend.

Hensler on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Iron Man by Black Sabbath.

It's on the Paranoid album.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    I heard this song on the radio on a classic rock station and I can't remember much of the other lyrics, but it starts out with one strum of the guitar and the guy saying "I Am Iron Man" this song is in the movie Ironman as well, so if I could get the name of the song and what album and band it is, that would be a big help, thanks.

o_O No seriously. Go listen to some classic rock.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Suddenly I feel so old.

Munch on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    have to admit...I'm not a fan of the new armor. I like the armors that have at least some bulk and some angles and some heft to it. This thing looks like a 2nd skin.

It's still cool looking...just not my preferred flavor.

VoodooV on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Guys, I'm pretty sure Jhon was joking.

Also, that looks like every major recent Iron Man Villain, plus Iron Monger.

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2010
    http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/04/detroit-steel-blackwater-meets-nascar-in-new-iron-man-storyline/

The villain of the next Iron Man arc will be Justine Hammer... *groan*. But she is going to have her own version of Iron Man named Detroit Steel. As since Iron Man should be about robot guys punching each other, I approve.

11856storystory_full-0138009..jpg

Hensler on