As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EQ] Free EverQuest Classic Server - It's Good To Be Back

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I actually just jumped back into Asheron's Call.

I could give this another try maybe.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I so remeber hearing the boat call as im running from kaladim God, did we really hate our selves that much back then ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Level 2 ranger... Kaneth. I'm remembering what I hated about the game, but I'm still having some amount of fun for now. :)

Edit: Any newbie guides we should be aware of? I vaguely remember spider silk being useful for trade toward armor or some such thing.

Edit 2: And fuck bag space.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rat tails in West Freeport near the East Commonlands. Just outside the city walls. They sell for 1p apiece to npc vendors. I hunted so many rats there... it's burned into my brain.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In Gfay there isn't much for a newbie to make money off of. There's cracked staves (1pp each!) but they don't drop very often. Instead I hunted the shit out of wasp drones and looked for their venom sacs, each one is 3gp and I got quite a few of them. A backpack is only 5gp so 5 venom sacs is 3 backpacks. It didn't take long to get nearly a full suit of leather, quite a few backpacks, plus a whip, shield, and a bow with arrows.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • MyCoCoMyCoCo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Level 11 now, full suit of banded off a fellow fatty as well 8-)

Spent most of the time grouped with Pardzh in NRo...fairly uneventful.

Apart from this guy. I present to you, the equally impressive and dire, relentless RP'er.

Dedication.jpg

Never once said anything un-Medieval Times and he spoke a lot. Hmm.

MyCoCo on
    edited January 2010
    1p for a rat tail > i know that crushbone belts were used for a turn in quest in kaladim.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited January 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Rat tails in West Freeport near the East Commonlands. Just outside the city walls. They sell for 1p apiece to npc vendors. I hunted so many rats there... it's burned into my brain.

I remember the rat tails, but I'm sadly not in Freeport. And I guess Gfay has little for gold farming opportunities. Perhaps I'll remake my ranger as a half-elf in Freeport to alleviate the annoyance. ;-)

Shadowfire on
    edited January 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I remember the rat tails, but I'm sadly not in Freeport. And I guess Gfay has little for gold farming opportunities. Perhaps I'll remake my ranger as a half-elf in Freeport to alleviate the annoyance. ;-)

Crushbone belts would be a commodity on the "market", but with so few players... not so much.

SkyCaptain on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Updated the roster... dinged 20 tonight!

There's getting to be a LOT of you joining the server, so please, make sure you send a /tell to Dyne, Celestialsky, Manafee, or Ogrebob to get you into the guild. You have to be in the same zone as us, but I don't mind running out to you, and Celestialsky can port to certain locations for easier invites.

The Sneak! on
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MyCoCo wrote: »

Apart from this guy. I present to you, the equally impressive and dire, relentless RP'er.

Dedication.jpg

Hahaha that dude was great.

I'm going to ruin my life tomorrow at the gym because holy shit I sat on my ass all day playing this game.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    edited January 2010
    pardzh wrote: »
    MyCoCo wrote: »

Dedication.jpg

Hahaha that dude was great.

I'm going to ruin my life tomorrow at the gym because holy shit I sat on my ass all day playing this game.

And you probably will tomorrow, too. :)

The Sneak! on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aside from being the first one I really played EQ was, for me, the Morrowind of MMOs. It was a big, persistent world with no real guidance system or game structure and where you could do just about anything you wanted.

Basically you got dropped in with your character, you starting spells (I played a necro) and that was it.

If I still had a copy of the game I'd totally be in on this.

Raynaga on
    edited January 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Crushbone belts would be a commodity on the "market", but with so few players... not so much.

Yeah, some people pay 1pp per belt, it's insane (you can buy them off vendors people sell them to for like 4 gold or some such). You can also keep the belts and turn them in at Kaladim for lots of exp, a bit of cash, and a random piece of tattered leather armor. I was going to turn some in today while I was playing at work but I got slaughtered by a goblin who blindsided me and I had to ding 5 again.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The only plat you need to be worried about at low levels is enough to get spells.

Once you're 30+ it's retardedly easy to make plat.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited January 2010
    Hope population levels stay constant (or rise). Solo Warrior leveling even this low is D:

edit: Just became a bit less worse, dinged 12 and it seems I can now critical hit, hurray! Just need one more level and I can dual wield and be semi-functional.

MyCoCo on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can you still spam the Crushbone Belt quest to essentially level from 1 to 15?

GPIA7R on
    edited January 2010
    Apparently so, keep hearing you have to hand them in 2 at a time though for whatever reason.

MyCoCo on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I started a monk, I'm in freeport, i hate freeport. I heard BBK is the best place to level a new character but i don't know. I suck at everquest and never got that in to it. I really want to.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
    edited January 2010
    I've got fond memories of Greater Faydark. I always liked levelling there.

In this version of the game, does the Plane of Knowledge exist? What about the Nexus/Bazaar?

GPIA7R on
    edited January 2010
    It's basically the game as it came out in 1999 apart from the stuff they can't change back due to the files, certain bits of the UI, target rings, the odd Luclin model (wolves) etc. No PoK, no Nexus, no expansions at all. Still even has Rubicite armour and Manastones dropping.

MyCoCo on
    edited January 2010
    Oh ho ho... I didn't play a ton before PoK came out. Where were the common areas back then? Are there any specific places to run into gatherings of people and socialize a bit?

While running around, how often would you say you see anyone? Is it decently populated?

GPIA7R on
    edited January 2010
    Low level areas that are populated seem to be East Commons, GFaydark and Crushbone, North Ro and Oasis (as always). I'm in the UK so there aren't many on at the minute, population is around 100 people, pop gets up to 300 odd for US times though, always seems to be a group or more in each of the lower zones then.

(Regenning health between fights gives plenty of time to read forums haha)

MyCoCo on
    edited January 2010
    I'll finally get around to installing this evening. Is it pretty straightforward? I'm pretty sure I've got Titanium... hopefully.

Getting tired of Warcraft.

Need me some REAL mmorpg... man... Everquest had it all... learnable languages... alcohol tolerance... brewing...

GPIA7R on
    edited January 2010
    Speaking of alcohol tolerance, I found it's a lot of fun to get totally wasted and fight stuff. It actually raises your strength and stamina (while lowering your wisdom and intelligence) and fucks your vision up (sorta looks like a fisheye lens) and you weave side to side while walking. I had a hell of a time yesterday while I was at work. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited January 2010
    .... falling to your death from kelethin and then running around looking for your corpse for an hour......Hitting the "a" instead of "H" when talking to a merchent and then getting roflstomped..

Draeven on

edited January 2010
    That reminds me, getting drunk + walking through Kelethin = so many goddamn corpse runs.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maaan, this game was all I played from 1999 to 2001.

I had ONE (1) character, a Ranger. Made it to 54. After 2 years. That is how fucking tough this game was. Played from a month after inital release to right before Luclin. Never stepped foot on Velious and avoided Kunark like the plague. The EXP penalty for death-by-exploration was just too risky. Just played old-world places unless I had to go elsewhere. Even got my Epic Weapon (Swiftwind/Earthcaller) near the end. Regardless, my class had been broken for an eternity and my young social life was in shambles. I felt I was justified to retire at that point. A friend took over my guy and made him one of the most powerful characters on the Bertoxxulous server over the next few years.

Picked it back up in 2004 or something with a Mage. Made 56 in about 3 months and had a blast. Retired him when my free account expired. Felt too easy and neutered, what with the Plane of Knowledge and all. I have no intention of playing this ever again, but it's kind of cool to see people who had the same experiences that I did.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    guess i should have killed more rats when i was lvling in the freeport newb area.

hit 8 last night in an orc gruop in ecommons. got to 8% till i ding 9. So i think i'll try and hand in my 10 df slashed belts for xp, then go kill undeads in nek forest, since i got a nice undead-only nuke.

Hate: everyone out leveling me because they have more time to level :P

Feldorn on
    edited January 2010
    Heh, I remember starting a Paladin and getting their Epic weapon at level 5. If you had a high level person help you out, you could do the quests and kills needed to get the fiery sword of awesomeness. That was my shining accomplishment.

Other than that I think my highest was a level 53 Rogue

The crushbone zone/fort area off of GFay was a very popular place back when I played. Lots of people gathered there

GPIA7R on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Speaking of alcohol tolerance, I found it's a lot of fun to get totally wasted and fight stuff. It actually raises your strength and stamina (while lowering your wisdom and intelligence) and fucks your vision up (sorta looks like a fisheye lens) and you weave side to side while walking. I had a hell of a time yesterday while I was at work. :D

One of the first groups I ever got in back at release was with a Barbarian warrior who did this. Thought it was pretty nifty to group with an alcoholic Conan. That guy went on to be an uber raiding warrior, as I recall.

juice for jesus on
    edited January 2010
    I'm in as Adrianna, dark elf cleric - level 1 and lost as fuck hah.

SkyCaptain on
    edited January 2010
    One of the great things was the all-encompassing list of magic spells. Enchanters were by far the best (as they should be) and Mages were very good too. The damage spells were not just like direct elemental damage but stuff like AoEs, radius, radius rain, DoTs... most things you don't use but other games just never had. There were also a TON of utility spells, illusions, item enchantments and other worthless spells that served a purpose like once a year.

I remember actually having to research Mage spells. Literally go out and figure out how to make them and then gather the components (which were on an island in the middle of an ocean). Sure, these particular spells weren't required but they were important to me!

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Some utilities were/are awesome, Shrink especially, can't wait till I get high enough to see it in dungeons.

Crouching back to a group through tiny doorways is such a pain in the ass.

And yeah crafting in this game is just...so harsh. Spent hours or even days gathering items so you can craft something awesome? You have failed to combine the items...always had a lot of respect/pity for the people with enough patience/time to raise the main ones like Smithing to high levels.

MyCoCo on
    edited January 2010
    I'm in as Adrianna, dark elf cleric - level 1 and lost as fuck hah.

Neriak was awful as a newbie. The forest is actually pretty great as I recall, though.

Shadowfire on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    only took me a few days to find my way around neriak.

the new newbie zone map is a boon.

Feldorn on
    edited January 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Maaan, this game was all I played from 1999 to 2001.

I had ONE (1) character, a Ranger. Made it to 54. After 2 years. That is how fucking tough this game was. Played from a month after inital release to right before Luclin. Never stepped foot on Velious and avoided Kunark like the plague. The EXP penalty for death-by-exploration was just too risky. Just played old-world places unless I had to go elsewhere. Even got my Epic Weapon (Swiftwind/Earthcaller) near the end. Regardless, my class had been broken for an eternity and my young social life was in shambles. I felt I was justified to retire at that point. A friend took over my guy and made him one of the most powerful characters on the Bertoxxulous server over the next few years.

Picked it back up in 2004 or something with a Mage. Made 56 in about 3 months and had a blast. Retired him when my free account expired. Felt too easy and neutered, what with the Plane of Knowledge and all. I have no intention of playing this ever again, but it's kind of cool to see people who had the same experiences that I did.

It took me 4 years just to get my druid to level 49. :P I liked to fuck around and buy cool new items, even if they were useless, and talk to every npc I could and explore and take screenshots and get drunk. I rarely leveled at all, especially when I hit the hell levels.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited January 2010
    the hell levels.

D:
    D:

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    edited January 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    the hell levels.

D:
    D:

They're baaaaaaaack!

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2010
    I can't believe it, but I'm actually looking forward to the duldrums and tedious gameplay of EQ. There was always so much to explore and see... and being able to hail and talk to NPC's and trigger keywords instead of having your hand held through questing.

This is my calling.
    This is my destiny.

Edit: I'm REALLY hoping I've got titanium at home... because all I'm seeing online are $50-75 price ranges. Even Amazon

GPIA7R on
This discussion has been closed.