As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cookie (or Biscuit) Brigade East

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in PAX Archive
4053357487_e4b58467bb.jpg

Cookie (or Biscuit depending on what side of the pond you're on) Brigade East!

Hello all, since it was brought up in the questions thread for PAX East I figured we might as well start a thread for this--chibidani can't make it to PAX East so I'm helping to organize things for this leg. Here's a quick rundown:

What is it?

The Cookie Brigade is just a bunch of peeps who like baking so much that they bring cookies and other baked goodies to PAX to give away to other expo go-ers. We also collect donations for Child's Play if people feel like donating, and when PAX winds down we hand over any donations to the Child's Play people.

Please note: We don't sell cookies for Child's Play, we're just people giving out sweets because we're friendly like that, and people can give us donations for Child's Play because they're generous like that (and we're convenient people to give that money to...y'know, since we're walking around and were going to turn donations in to the Child's Play person at the end anyway).

How do I participate?
You can help bake, help distribute, or both! Sign-ups are pretty loose because this is all a voluntary thing, and you can post in this thread, in the Google Group, PM, or use this website for now.

Do you guys really raise any money?

Yes, yes we do! In the past 2 years since this has started, we've collected approximately $5000 each PAX for Child's Play, and it's all been from you guys! You're awesome! :D

Organizational Stuff

Closer to PAX East, we'll post some more information about when we're meeting up to drop off/pick-up cookies and donations, get your Cookie Brigade buttons, and all that other stuff.

In the meantime, discussion can be found at the Google Group or you can post questions and about your eagerness to bake delicious things here

A Brief History Bonus

This was posted by Alyssa in the Cookie Brigade (CB) Google Group and she said I could share it, because it's a really awesome way to understand the CB a bit better:
"Allow me to introduce myself, for those of you who have never met me and don't know me. In 2007, I attended my first PAX. It was AWESOME. I am a shy, shy person, so in order to *bribe* people into being my friends, I baked cookies and took them with me to PAX to distribute for fun [...]. BrokenAngel was
another individual who - independent of me - did the same thing in BYOC and other places.

I found that, every time I gave someone a cookie, they tended to want to reciprocate by giving me something in return (as is somewhat typical in the ever-loving, ever-giving PAX community). This puzzled me, and as I
planned on returning in 2008 (not knowing my job would change and prevent me from being able to), BrokenAngel, myself and a few other forumers decided that it would be cool to bake cookies, distribute them, and gain donations for Child's Play.

And I think this is what the Cookie Brigade is all about. Giving something to PAX-ers, and PAX-ers giving something back in return."

Hypatia on

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yay! Let's get the party started! (do do be do be do do) =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    AleemaAleema Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yesh, SIGN ME UP.
    I don't plan on baking (yet), but I want to help spread the love that is cookies. :3

Aleema on
  • Options
    ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm interested in helping out!

This seems like a great way to meet people and make big stacks of new friends.

I'll have to start practicing as far as baking goes, though...

Zuki on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I am able to go, I'll def consider helping out.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't want to be "that guy", but I very specifically recall someone saying "Would you like to buy some cookies for Child's Play?" in the line for one of the concerts.

So, due to that, I didn't realize they were "donation optional".

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was under the (possibly incorrect) assumption that the convention center enforced a monopoly on food vendors, hence the cookies being "donation optional" only so as to not piss off the people in charge of the space and the overpriced food stalls.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aye, I don't doubt that there were some occasional slip-ups... my two things I usually say are either "Cookies for Child's Play!" (if I don't have time to give a longer statement, which I hope implies optional donations) or the much longer and more explained "I'm with the Cookie brigade. Take a cookie! We also accept donations to child's play if you have the funds to spare!" or some variant of that.

Inevitably several dozen times each day I have to explain what Child's Play is, which is good because more people know: though I'm not sure how they were on the site long enough to find out about PAX without knowing about Child's Play. =) Maybe they came to the PA site at the wrong time of the year?

Anyways, I digress. Indeed it's donations optional. I probably gave away at least half of my cookies without even a cent donated in exchange, which was 100% okay! (I had to convince some people that it was okay, because people were very hesitant... but I'm not going to deny anyone the right to cookies =) )

Just about the only thing that I do get upset about is when someone takes a whole bag, which happened to me on two occasions this PAX (and only once in PAX '08). (Needless to say, on both of those occasions they didn't donate =) ) I consider even up to five cookies per person to be fair play, but beyond that kind of feels like stealing from Child's Play... those were dozens and dozens of cookies that someone could've given a donation in exchange for. (now, if you were to donate very generously to Child's Play, I wouldn't mind if you took a whole bag... but I digress again =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking of doing a few dozen gluten free cookies. Has anyone else done that at an event? I'm wondering how much of a demand there will be for them.

Rebecca on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yes, that would be fantastic Rebecca! We definitely get requests for gluten free cookies: I know I get asked at least a couple of times every year. Usually though, I don't have any on me. =( We had someone make gluten-free cookies last year (and I believe this year too), but there were only so many to go around: we could definitely use a larger supply of them. =)

Also, my wife has Celiac, she'd love to try your cookies! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Great, I'll save her some. I'm getting recipes from a friend who's child has Autism and the gluten free diet seems to help him. They should be good since they've been kid approved. :)

Rebecca on
  • Options
    FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm happy to say that I'll be helping out my lovely and talented wife (Rebecca). She seems to think that people will be more likely to donate to a guy in a wheelchair. :) (Frankly, I think they'll just be likely to donate due to yummy cookies...but that's just me!)

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Woot, good to have you guys aboard! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Found an awesome looking recipe last night for (gluten free) pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. This may call for a test bake...you know...for quality control. :)

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Found an awesome looking recipe last night for (gluten free) pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. This may call for a test bake...you know...for quality control. :)

That's like my fiance, "I have to try one to make sure they taste ok!"...."...well, I have to try another one because now they're cool and might taste different!"...."...I have to have another one to make sure they still taste good!"...."Well, they're there!"...."You shouldn't make cookies, you're making me fat!"

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yum! That sounds delicious! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    MageosMageos Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    I will be making some very delicious cookies. I will be making Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies, and I hope the PAX Attendees and Enforcers will like them.

Mageos on
  • Options
    MinjaMinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love the cookie brigade! It's super awesome having a sweet snack on my shift to keep my spirits up and keep teh little Minja happeh. :3

Minja on
    katamaribanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Woot! =) I can't wait, I'm excited! (And anxious!) =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    THe real question is: who wants to make me a metric shit ton of Snickerdoodles (not dickerdoodles) in return for childs play money.

Since Im going to Fort Dreven the weak after, Id like to enjoy some decent food before then

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just signed up for baking only. See you at PAX East!

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Halfazedninja! We can use all the baking help we can get in particular this year, as we get used to the new environment that is PAX East!

Distributors, of course, will be extremely important as well, but if we don't have enough cookies to go around the brigadiering train could come to a halt early!

So please sign up today!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Rot26Rot26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This was fun at Prime, I'll be in again.

Are there any hints as to how to get cookies to PAX east?

Rot26 on
  • Options
    the_stamythe_stamy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll be babysitting some of my friends this year so won't be distributing, but I will be baking. I'm thinking of doing rice crispy treats: light weight, sturdy and just about everyone likes them.

Any word yet on where/when the first meeting will be? Even with all the planning last year it took me a while to find people. Throw a whole new venue into the mix and this could get complicated...

the_stamy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I told my dad about this, he said he may be inclined to make 4 or 5 dozen peanut butter cookies.

If someone could distribute them that would be fantastic.

I'll even bring them up in their own big container so they dont get mixed with other cookies in case of peanut allergies.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yay! We would be honored to distribute them! That would be fantastic! Tell your Dad we say thanks! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    OrishaOrisha Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Yes! Baking cookies is the best stress relief. I will bring piles.

Orisha on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    <3, awesome!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ~nudges bakers to look at his request~ I'll totally give you $10-15 for a dozen since its for charity.

Snickerdoodles go.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ~nudges bakers to look at his request~ I'll totally give you $10-15 for a dozen since its for charity.

Snickerdoodles go.

Do you prefer crunchy or chewy snickerdoodles?

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »

Snickerdoodles go.

Chewy.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have been given the recipe for a treat that is so delectable, I think it would rake in the cash exponentially for Child's Play if someone with leet baking skills had the ability to make it.

This woman at work today brought in the following as an experiment, and it was the most moist, delicious, incredible confectionaries I've ever tasted in my entire life. I demanded her recipe on behalf of the Cookie Brigade, and she provided this link:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/lifetravel/stories/DN-nf_cakeballs_0910liv.ART.State.Edition1.3e35b8a.html

I have no skills of a baker. =( But if someone could make these, I get the feeling that they would be an epic, incredible hit.

(the ones I tried had almond bark coating)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have been given the recipe for a treat that is so delectable, I think it would rake in the cash exponentially for Child's Play if someone with leet baking skills had the ability to make it.

This woman at work today brought in the following as an experiment, and it was the most moist, delicious, incredible confectionaries I've ever tasted in my entire life. I demanded her recipe on behalf of the Cookie Brigade, and she provided this link:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/lifetravel/stories/DN-nf_cakeballs_0910liv.ART.State.Edition1.3e35b8a.html

I have no skills of a baker. =( But if someone could make these, I get the feeling that they would be an epic, incredible hit.

(the ones I tried had almond bark coating)

I have over a month to practice... Plus I can eat my practice.... I'll try... no promises.. I used to be a "chocolatier" when I was little as a hobby, Id by all the stuff from the craft shop and sell it to neighbors.... Cake balls seem like something a chocolatier should be able to pull off.

Once again, no promises.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Snickerdoodles go.

Chewy.

I could give it a shot, right now my only snickerdoodle recipe is crunchy though so I'll have to look into it. :)

Man, those cake balls look good VT, I'm saving the recipe to give it a shot!

Hypatia on
  • Options
    rachierachie Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    I am about to sign up to bake and distribute. I am a pastry chef and actually just experimented with cake balls! they are pretty easy and you can do all different kinds. HOw much stuff do ppl usually make? I am a stay at home mom right now so I have lots of time.:P

rachie on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Im out skilled,if you want to do the cake balls do it, rachie, my pops is still going to make some stuff for me to take..

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    rachie wrote: »
    I am about to sign up to bake and distribute. I am a pastry chef and actually just experimented with cake balls! they are pretty easy and you can do all different kinds. HOw much stuff do ppl usually make? I am a stay at home mom right now so I have lots of time.:P

The amount people bring varies pretty widely, last year I brought 6 6" shipping tubes full of cookies along with an extra suitcase full and I still ran out before the end of Saturday. You can't bake too many! :)

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The amount people bring varies pretty widely, last year I brought 6 6" shipping tubes full of cookies along with an extra suitcase full and I still ran out before the end of Saturday. You can't bake too many! :)

what did you do? Drop the cookies down the tubes like pringles canisters?

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    what did you do? Drop the cookies down the tubes like pringles canisters?

You know it! Cookie dispenser power!
    3614252308_eb485bf9c8_m.jpg

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thats... brilliant.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    rachierachie Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Also how do you usually package the cookies for distribution? And how big do you make them? the ones in your pic look bigger then normal sized! This is my first PAX so I haven't seen the cookie ppl before :-)

rachie on
This discussion has been closed.