As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Netbook Gamer's Union] Join your local chapter today!

13»

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Death_Claw wrote: »
    So I went to gog and found out that not only they have all Tex Murphy games there they are 50% off until tomorrow! You can get all 5 games for 18 bucks! I´ll just have to see how they will run since I can´t get Pandora Directive to run with sound since I had a Pentium 3.

I highly recommend these games, I still think that Pandora Directive was if not the best adventure game I ever played the best experience I had with a game. Oh the joy of being 15 and exploring Area 51 for the first time and almost shitting my pants more than once, its the only game I ever had to turn off for being so scared...

I ended up bumping the GOG thread earlier this weekend with the same news. :) Under a Killing Moon runs great in DOSbox on my netbook, a Toshiba NB205 with 1GB of RAM. I haven't tried the other two yet but the specs were the same on GOG's site so I'm not too worried. I still have my discs of Pandora Directive, but figured it was worth the $5 to avoid the hassle of figuring out how to get them to run.

By the by, are there any good tactics to get your existing CD and DVD games on netbooks? A friend of mine suggested running a virtual drive on the machine, but I'm not too familiar with the procedure.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When on Windows I always used this: Daemon Tools Lite

Free and easy to setup.

Impersonator on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So that list of games has made me go (!) in my head.

1. One hour train comute each way to work
    2. Complete Baldur's Gate (I+II) collection on CD
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

given I don't have a USB CD drive how do I get them on my netbook? Is the obvious idea of installing to a SD card going to work or are there going to be issues about having the CD in the drive to play?

Damn it, can't find my BG1 disc, got the expansion disc but not the main game. I'm loathe to jump straight to BG2 before playing BG1 (also I've heard that BG2 has issues playing on netbooks).

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When on Windows I always used this: Daemon Tools Lite

Free and easy to setup.

Just be darned careful as you install, as it attempts (even more than some applications, I'm looking at you, acrobat) to install various toolbars and eff with your home page.

cwoac on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Any suggestions on how to reduce calls to the HDD when playing games on their note/netbooks? Just playing a game for like 20 minutes will drop my battery life by like 4 hours.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    Death_Claw wrote: »
    So I went to gog and found out that not only they have all Tex Murphy games there they are 50% off until tomorrow! You can get all 5 games for 18 bucks! I´ll just have to see how they will run since I can´t get Pandora Directive to run with sound since I had a Pentium 3.

I highly recommend these games, I still think that Pandora Directive was if not the best adventure game I ever played the best experience I had with a game. Oh the joy of being 15 and exploring Area 51 for the first time and almost shitting my pants more than once, its the only game I ever had to turn off for being so scared...

I ended up bumping the GOG thread earlier this weekend with the same news. :) Under a Killing Moon runs great in DOSbox on my netbook, a Toshiba NB205 with 1GB of RAM. I haven't tried the other two yet but the specs were the same on GOG's site so I'm not too worried. I still have my discs of Pandora Directive, but figured it was worth the $5 to avoid the hassle of figuring out how to get them to run.

By the by, are there any good tactics to get your existing CD and DVD games on netbooks? A friend of mine suggested running a virtual

What I do, and I believe the easiest way, is to install them through a network with my desktop and then use a no CD patch. The first part should be easy, the second one might be a little more difficult if you don´t know where to look, but considering the nature of it I don´t think we can discuss it in here.

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Any suggestions on how to reduce calls to the HDD when playing games on their note/netbooks? Just playing a game for like 20 minutes will drop my battery life by like 4 hours.

You might get some extra battery life and a little speed during load times if you have a Readyboost flash drive in Win7 (some say the Vista version just didn't work). I say might because it only really helps for loading data that's been cached to the page file, which in 99% of most computers is your hard drive, unless you have a Readyboost drive to supplement the page file. Data sitting on the readyboost will get accessed faster and use less battery. I have an Eee PC which has a SD flash card slot. I bought a 4GB SDHC and use that as dedicated readyboost. I've noticed an overall performance improvement, but it's more of a general perception than something I've measured.

On the same topic, buying an SSD for your note/netbook would be a huge power saver as well as a big speed boost. But if you're buying a netbook for affordability, this is hardly a practical option.

In Win 7, you can select a power profile that uses less power, usually be a combination of tricks such as dimming the screen, putting the HDD to sleep more often, limiting the speed of the CPU, and a few dozen other settings. Mind you, these things will cause your netbook to be slower in general, but it may get you a couple extra hours of battery time. You might find a good compromise between power & performance that you can live with. You didn't say what game you were playing, but chances are you don't need your netbook to run full throttle gulping down the watts when you're contemplating your next move on Civ3.

If you're not playing online, turn off your wifi. There's no need to power that ethernet chip and transponder if you know you're not going to be using it for awhile (like on an airplane).

Talking about this reminds of the days back when I'd try every trick I knew to get more performance out of an aging x386, creating different config.sys files that would eke out every last bit (pun intended) of that precious first 640K. I think it's interesting that netbooks were probably intended for soccer moms and luddites who just want to surf the net, and geeks everywhere are busy putting them to use for unintended purposes by tweaking the hell out of them.

El Guaco on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    what good online multiplayer games would work on a computer with not so good stats? I'm assuming it would be close to a netbook having integrated video and such. I have a buddy I'd like to be able to play some decent games with.

Diablo 2 and Yahoo Pool is pretty much all we've played up until this point.

troublebrewing on
  • cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    what good online multiplayer games would work on a computer with not so good stats? I'm assuming it would be close to a netbook having integrated video and such. I have a buddy I'd like to be able to play some decent games with.

Diablo 2 and Yahoo Pool is pretty much all we've played up until this point.

hmmm. quake 3? half-life DM and other games derived from that engine. Oh yes, and starcraft.

cwoac on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    El Guaco wrote: »
    On the same topic, buying an SSD for your note/netbook would be a huge power saver as well as a big speed boost.
    Really? Granted, it's been a year since I read it and tech moves on, but some hardware site were doing actual tests for that and determined that, with normal usage, except for one or two very specific (expensive) SSDs, laptop HDDs were on average more power efficient simply because the tech had been in development for the past decades.

Glal on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I have been living off of Peggle Deluxe and Night, Plants & Zombies, Freedom Force and Mr. Robot for four months now. Torchlight will not run though :(

Fizban140 on
    edited January 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    El Guaco wrote: »
    On the same topic, buying an SSD for your note/netbook would be a huge power saver as well as a big speed boost.
    Really? Granted, it's been a year since I read it and tech moves on, but some hardware site were doing actual tests for that and determined that, with normal usage, except for one or two very specific (expensive) SSDs, laptop HDDs were on average more power efficient simply because the tech had been in development for the past decades.

You are probably right, then. Anyone have a link to a recent comparison?

El Guaco on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OMG
    DID ANYONE EVER TRY DUNGEON KEEPER 2 or MW3?
    they might work precisely because of the shitty intel graphics.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2010
    Hey, guys, I've just joined the club!!!

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The game I play most on my netbook is Gratuitous Space Battles. Good visuals with a very low resource footprint, and it's a really fun strategy game.

Shujaa on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I picked up Freedom Force and FF & the Third Reich as part of that killer Steam deal this weekend, and they run great on my Netbook on the highest settings with even just 1GB of RAM.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited February 2010
    Shujaa wrote: »
    The game I play most on my netbook is Gratuitous Space Battles. Good visuals with a very low resource footprint, and it's a really fun strategy game.

Did you have to do anything extra to get it to run? My Eee PC wouldn't run it at all, it threw an error on startup.

El Guaco on
  • MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This thread is relevant to my interests. I've been playing internet checkers on my Toshiba netbook and it never even occurred to me that something like Civ3 might be playable. I can't wait to get home now and try it out.

Mandres on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ok, I'm sure this will betray my ignorance of computer stuff, but can you game off of a flash drive? My intent is to install some games to a flash drive, or just copy the files over to one. If I do that, can I just stick it in a netbook and play from there, or do I run afoul of registry issues and the like?

PolloDiablo on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can install games to a flash drive just like any other drive. You just have to remember to plug the drive in before you initiate any game on though, of course :P

slash000 on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A good number of older games don't need registry keys, or they make the ones that they need on launch, so you can even just install on a desktop or laptop and copy the files to a flash drive.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited May 2010
    Depends on the game, yeah. DOS box + D-Fend Reloaded are great for that kind of thing.

Pen drives are usually kinda slow, tho, so bigger games with lots of stuff to load will take ages to load.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • dkbosedkbose Registered User new member
    actually i am facing a problem with age of wonders wizards throne. i have a notebook hp mini 110 with
    1.6-GHz Intel Atom N270/N280 processor
    Intel 945GSE chipset
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    160GB hard disk,5400 rpm
    10.1-inch (1024 x 576) LCD anti-glare widescreen display
    Integrated Intel GMA 950 graphics along with Broadcom’s Crystal HD Video accelerator
    problem is that the game is not fitting on the screen meaning there are some options like load game and exit not visible at the bottom... :(
    hoping for a quick reply...