As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post removed by user.

2»

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on a "real" college experience by being in the middle of Manhattan, and I get sad.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on a "real" college experience by being in the middle of Manhattan, and I get sad.

NYU?

Have you seen the Olsen twins?!?

ege02 on
  • MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

NYU?

Have you seen the Olsen twins?!?

That's assuming that they haven't already wasted away.

They're already 2 dimensional, you have to catch them at the right angle.

MotherFirefly on
    edited April 2007
    Columbia, but apparently one of my friends sighted one of the two at the convenience store over here for some reason. And Bob Saget.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Columbia, but apparently one of my friends sighted one of the two at the convenience store over here for some reason. And Bob Saget.

Did this convenience store have a TV playing Full House in it?

Ninja Bot on
    edited April 2007
    Bob Saget was a different day. Same street though. Um, sorry for off topic.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I live right down the road from Davidson College, and have friends at Wake, Duke, UNC, etc etc etc.

Davidson is an awesome school for sciences, and has pretty good social sciences programs. It's expensive though (especially out of state), and there is definitely a "holier than thou" attitude around campus. It's also the school where a frat got it's charter taken away because some of the guys who were rushing golf clubbed a canadian goose to death at a pond down the street.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Note, about Chinatown bus... greyhound has dropped their fares to basically try and run those guys out of business or something, because it's $20 from Baltimore to NYC on the Greyhound, and I'm sure they pick up at a regular bus station there.

This idea could work. We dont want to encourage the OP to use the Fung Wah buses, otherwise known as the buses of doom.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Columbia? Oh man, arent they getting Matthew Fox to speak at commencement this year? I remember last time, they got a politician and he was booed, so they want to get a celebrity instead. CU kids are trying to get Robert "The Todd" Maschio to speak instead of Fox, because well....he's the Todd.

scrubs.jpg

note: I tried to find a good picture of a Todd five.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DuraekDuraek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I'm in a very unfortunate situation for college.

I got into a whole lot of schools (though I also got rejected from Brown, jerks.) I had basically planned on attending University of Michigan, though. It feels perfect to me, I'm in-state so tuition isn't bad, etc.

However, one of my safety schools that, after visiting, I decided that I hated (George Mason University) gave me a full scholarship there.

Now, I hated George Mason. It's everything I don't want in a college, doesn't have the program or strong majors I want, and doesn't have the things I want to do. UMich does have all of those things. But because of my scholarship to GMU, my parents tell me they'll only contribute half of my UMich costs. This is bad. Why? Because according to the government, my parents should kick in $24,000. Meaning I qualify for absolutely no financial aid or federal student loans.

Now, what should I do, and if I decide on UMich, how do I get something like $8,000 together in the next 3 weeks? And if I decide on GMU, how can I make a crappy college an okay experience?

Duraek on
  • NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    See what your parents will toss you if you take the full ride to GMU

Explain your situation on how you don't like it, and see if they'll throw you any of the money they would've given you if you went to UMich

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Go to George Mason for your undergrad, and go to UMich for your grad degree?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • DuraekDuraek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Go to George Mason for your undergrad, and go to UMich for your grad degree?

This is possible, I plan on going to law school so being debt free would be rather handy. I feel like college shouldn't be "just a stepping stone" to grad school and I should go somewhere I like and would enjoy, but for now this is definitely a possibility.

Duraek on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Duraek wrote: »
    So I'm in a very unfortunate situation for college.

I got into a whole lot of schools (though I also got rejected from Brown, jerks.) I had basically planned on attending University of Michigan, though. It feels perfect to me, I'm in-state so tuition isn't bad, etc.

However, one of my safety schools that, after visiting, I decided that I hated (George Mason University) gave me a full scholarship there.

Now, I hated George Mason. It's everything I don't want in a college, doesn't have the program or strong majors I want, and doesn't have the things I want to do. UMich does have all of those things. But because of my scholarship to GMU, my parents tell me they'll only contribute half of my UMich costs. This is bad. Why? Because according to the government, my parents should kick in $24,000. Meaning I qualify for absolutely no financial aid or federal student loans.

Now, what should I do, and if I decide on UMich, how do I get something like $8,000 together in the next 3 weeks? And if I decide on GMU, how can I make a crappy college an okay experience?

Doesn't qualifying for 'no' student loans still entitle you to some stafford loans?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It sounds like you're kind of uncommitted to any specific field of study right now, so I would recommend going to a school where you can get the best general education you can get, as well as to expose yourself to as many varied opportunities you can find.

Colleges don't ever expect you to go in knowing exactly what you want to do, and on average, most people switch their majors at least once. The growing trend of undergraduates is to go more than four years because of switching their majors which requires different classes. I know a bit about the UC's, so I'll talk a bit about that.

I'm going to UC Irvine right now, because although both UCLA and UCSD are (now) offering majors in Bioinformatics, the UC Institute for Genomics and Bioinformatics is located on the Irvine campus, so that gives me the opportunity to intern there. Internship opportunites are some of the most important aspects of a college - one that you certainly have to consider.

I'd also recommend doing some research on the campuses you're considering, and if possible, seeing the campus before you go there. For example, to me, Stanford seemed like a very ugly campus, with an almost industrial feel.

UCSD, despite not having the prestige of UCLA or UC Berkeley, made me feel more comfortable to be at. It's individual colleges are very spread out, almost to the extent that the campus felt like six different universities, giving you a feel of being in a specialized smaller university. Speaking on the topic of different schools being better for different majors, if you wanted to major in Marine Biology, UCSD would be the place for you, both because of one of it's six colleges being basically devoted to marine biology, as well as, surprisingly, its proximity to Sea World - where a lot of marine research actually goes on.

UCLA is very East Coast in it's construction -- It feels like an Ivy League college, especially with it actually having a real NCAA sports teams, and its more cramped construction. The Student Dorms there are basically high-rises that go forty stories up, and it's not really built on a huge land mass, instead being stuck in the center of super-expensive residential homes, so you can have a really hard time living off campus. However, if you're into having a sports team or are interested in going for a M.D. or M.D.D., then UCLA is probably the place for you. Well actually, seeing on how you got into Johns Hopkins, screw UCLA and go for that if you want to go for an M.D.

I don't know too much about Berkeley, except that it's no longer the pot-smoking-Hari-Krishna's-dancing-in- a-drum-circle-university that it gained a reputation for. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

We at the other UC's have to resort to cheering for UCLA to represent us all at kicking USC's ass. In fact, UCI's charter basically says that we will never have a football team or fraternities, due to it being created by pissed-off vietnam-era hippie nerds who read too much counterculture comix and J.R.R. Tolkein during the 60's. This actually caused the first chancellor to quit after the first year through embarassment over not being in charge of a "real college" with NCAA sports teams or frats. The frats were only let in after about 20 years and a particularily nasty lawsuit claiming discrimination.

Well, good luck on being accepted into so many prestigious universities, and remember that college is supposed to be a social experience as well as academic.

Plutonium on
    edited April 2007
    All I really know about it is that George Mason has a pretty good political science and law program, due to it being located so near to DC.

Oh, and they sometimes get lucky at Basketball. Real Lucky.

Edit: Also, if you're interested in it, going to George Mason will allow you to possibly seek internship opportunites on capital hill, maybe even with the congressman from your own district. This can help immensely with any type of a career in government or law, both due to the experience in the creation of laws as well as the connections you will make with important people.

Plutonium on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »
    All I really know about it is that George Mason has a pretty good political science and law program, due to it being located so near to DC.

Edit: Also, if you're interested in it, going to George Mason will allow you to possibly seek internship opportunites on capital hill, maybe even with the congressman from your own district. This can help immensely with any type of a career in government or law, both due to the experience in the creation of laws as well as the connections you will make with important people.

GMU's law department is behind Georgetown, GW and American...

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    kaliyama wrote: »

GMU's law department is behind Georgetown, GW and American...

Regardless, going to GMW will afford the poster with a lot of opportunities to build up his resume for when he applies to law schools. See, it turns out that you don't HAVE to go to law school at the same place you got your undergrad.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It sounds like you're kind of uncommitted to any specific field of study right now, so I would recommend going to a school where you can get the best general education you can get, as well as to expose yourself to as many varied opportunities you can find.

Colleges don't ever expect you to go in knowing exactly what you want to do, and on average, most people switch their majors at least once. The growing trend of undergraduates is to go more than four years because of switching their majors which requires different classes. I know a bit about the UC's, so I'll talk a bit about that.

I'm going to UC Irvine right now, because although both UCLA and UCSD are (now) offering majors in Bioinformatics, the UC Institute for Genomics and Bioinformatics is located on the Irvine campus, so that gives me the opportunity to intern there. Internship opportunites are some of the most important aspects of a college - one that you certainly have to consider.

I'd also recommend doing some research on the campuses you're considering, and if possible, seeing the campus before you go there. For example, to me, Stanford seemed like a very ugly campus, with an almost industrial feel.

UCSD, despite not having the prestige of UCLA or UC Berkeley, made me feel more comfortable to be at. It's individual colleges are very spread out, almost to the extent that the campus felt like six different universities, giving you a feel of being in a specialized smaller university. Speaking on the topic of different schools being better for different majors, if you wanted to major in Marine Biology, UCSD would be the place for you, both because of one of it's six colleges being basically devoted to marine biology, as well as, surprisingly, its proximity to Sea World - where a lot of marine research actually goes on.

UCLA is very East Coast in it's construction -- It feels like an Ivy League college, especially with it actually having a real NCAA sports teams, and its more cramped construction. The Student Dorms there are basically high-rises that go forty stories up, and it's not really built on a huge land mass, instead being stuck in the center of super-expensive residential homes, so you can have a really hard time living off campus. However, if you're into having a sports team or are interested in going for a M.D. or M.D.D., then UCLA is probably the place for you. Well actually, seeing on how you got into Johns Hopkins, screw UCLA and go for that if you want to go for an M.D.

I don't know too much about Berkeley, except that it's no longer the pot-smoking-Hari-Krishna's-dancing-in- a-drum-circle-university that it gained a reputation for. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.

We at the other UC's have to resort to cheering for UCLA to represent us all at kicking USC's ass. In fact, UCI's charter basically says that we will never have a football team or fraternities, due to it being created by pissed-off vietnam-era hippie nerds who read too much counterculture comix and J.R.R. Tolkein during the 60's. This actually caused the first chancellor to quit after the first year through embarassment over not being in charge of a "real college" with NCAA sports teams or frats. The frats were only let in after about 20 years and a particularily nasty lawsuit claiming discrimination.

Well, good luck on being accepted into so many prestigious universities, and remember that college is supposed to be a social experience as well as academic.

True that. College should be as much a social experience as well as academic. About 70% of my time is just socializing (parties, chillin with friends, etc.). Go to a fun college or else you'll regret it, but then again college (like life) goes off a "you get what you put in" basis. If I were you, I'd choose the school with the combination of one that gives me the most money and has the good general all-around education.

And UCI could've had a football team... but we spent the money on the Science Library instead. damn nerds :(
    even though I use that library everytime during midterms/finals week haha it's pretty nice.

benz0rs on
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, but then again, our science library was designed to look like the Starship Enterprise. That costs a little extra.

Edit for those who haven't seen it:
    sciencelibrary.jpg

Plutonium on